HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole (out 2-3 weeks) and Larose (out 3-4 weeks) placed on IR. Dwyer, Tlusty recalled

Old
12-11-2009, 01:43 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

vCash: 500
Just when we get back Cam, we lose Cole and Larose.

How are we ever going to make our Cup run with those 2 out of the line up for a month?

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 02:00 PM
impeach estaalo

I am not happy that Cole and LaRose are hurt, but I am happy that they are out of the lineup. LaRose has sucked the whole season and Cole makes several inexcusable plays each game that negate any good he does.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

Cole's been improving though, he's managing to get the puck deeper before he turns it over.

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

wtf....dwyer on the top line? yeah that makes COMPLETE sense

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 02:45 PM
UnPLEASED Anton

^You want #1 overall or what?

UnPLEASED Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 02:56 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSoldier15U View Post
wtf....dwyer on the top line? yeah that makes COMPLETE sense
In this case it actually makes sense to play Dwyer on the first line.

Tlusty = LH shot
Dwyer = RH shot

Playing Tlusty with Whitney-Staal, then Dwyer with Sutter-Kostopolous would leave them both playing on their off-wings.

The other option would be to break up Jokinen-Cullen-Ruutu and put Ruutu on the first line, but that would be pointless as that's the only line that has shown anything resembling chemistry the entire season.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I try not to be a conspiracy theorist, but it seems that Rutherford is making sure that all his pieces are 1000% healthy by the time the trade deadline, or even January 1st, comes around. Give them long enough to get healthy and then showcase them to the extent of their abilities.

I know that trading Cole would be a long shot, but Larose has the potential to move. I have ZERO doubts that he was given interest from contenders but chose to stay here instead. It may not have made sense for another team at the start of the year, but if Larose can get healthy and start showing some signs of life he may be be able to get a deal from a team looking for a shot of insulin *smacks forehead* strike that, adrenaline for the playoff push. I swear, Tripp must think the entire team is diabetic.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Krazy

wow carolina has it rough this year.......On a side note, dont know if it has been mentioned, but Maurice liked Tlusty in TO gave him regular minutes as a 19 year old, even played him with sundin. I think maurice is a big reason why the canes traded for him

Hope it works out for him in Raleigh, wilson never liked him.

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:12 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post

Tlusty = LH shot
Dwyer = RH shot

Playing Tlusty with Whitney-Staal, then Dwyer with Sutter-Kostopolous would leave them both playing on their off-wings.

The other option would be to break up Jokinen-Cullen-Ruutu and put Ruutu on the first line, but that would be pointless as that's the only line that has shown anything resembling chemistry the entire season.
It's more about getting a forechecker on that line without breaking up the chemistry of the Jokinen-Cullen-Ruutu line and leaving some balance so that the Caps can't just focus on trying to shut down the Staal line.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Yeah, and if you'll remember he was on the bench getting his neck worked on by Pete. That is something I hadn't seen since '07-08.
Psychosomatic? I saw that and wondered if there was a flashback involved.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Cane View Post
Psychosomatic? I saw that and wondered if there was a flashback involved.
Either that or it was actually a stinger. The fact that he's missing more time for it would lead me to believe he probably just tweaked it and since he's hyper sensitive about the area, understandingly, he may just be playing it extra safe since we have nothing to play for.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Beeferoni

as a leafs & marlies fan; i'm pumped to hear that Tlusty is getting the call-up. i think he'll be a good fit with the 'Canes. i liked him in toronto, and i felt that he should have started with the leafs this year instead of being sent down. there's a bit of a log-jam on the marlies in terms of top young forwards deserving a chance in the big league, but either way, i was sad to see him go.

good luck, Tlusty!

Beeferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:57 PM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
This is clearly a nod to the new guy to prove the Organization views him as an important future piece. Remember the kid is an RFA at the end of the year. This is just JR telling the kids things are different here than in Toronto. His AHL play prior to the deal certainly earned him a callup with the new team. I would expect to see him with Sutter tonight and maybe get some PP time.
Fair enough. But whatever the case may be hopefully he'll bring some positive cheer for the No. 19, unlike the last guy

Is anyone going to create the thread for the game??

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 04:28 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post

Tlusty = LH shot
Dwyer = RH shot

Not that I disagree with the reasoning for this, but Samson is a RHS also. With the need for a fill in on the top line, and Samson likely needing a top 6 role if he was ever to stick at the NHL level, they brought up the wrong guy... strictly IMO.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 05:41 PM
WWAD

I can't wait to hear how Chuck Kaiton pronounces Jiri Tlusty's name.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I try not to be a conspiracy theorist, but it seems that Rutherford is making sure that all his pieces are 1000% healthy by the time the trade deadline, or even January 1st, comes around. Give them long enough to get healthy and then showcase them to the extent of their abilities.
I agree with you, but I don't think it's gonna be a wholesale dumping of players. As seen from last year, the pieces are actually in place...with a few GLARING exceptions.

If you rid yourself of Corvo (expiring contract), A Ward, and maybe one of Whitney, Walker or LaRose at the deadline, you leave room for some youngsters next year AND get the corresponding help with salaries. Couple that with maybe Wallin and Brind'Amour (a guy can dream) leaving the organization, I think the Canes are a really good team next year. Growing pains, yes, but also lots of excitement.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 06:55 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
I agree with you, but I don't think it's gonna be a wholesale dumping of players. As seen from last year, the pieces are actually in place...with a few GLARING exceptions.

If you rid yourself of Corvo (expiring contract), A Ward, and maybe one of Whitney, Walker or LaRose at the deadline, you leave room for some youngsters next year AND get the corresponding help with salaries. Couple that with maybe Wallin and Brind'Amour (a guy can dream) leaving the organization, I think the Canes are a really good team next year. Growing pains, yes, but also lots of excitement.
I like the way you're thinking. I see us in the mix for the #8 spot next year, Hall or no Hall, and likely back to where we were expecting to be the year after. Hopefully we can find another Sutter/Boychuk type in the mid first in 2011 as well as find some real good players with the picks we get for guys like Corvo, A Ward, Whitney and Cullen.

Old
12-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkNC View Post
I can't wait to hear how Chuck Kaiton pronounces Jiri Tlusty's name.
how did he say it?

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I like the way you're thinking. I see us in the mix for the #8 spot next year, Hall or no Hall, and likely back to where we were expecting to be the year after. Hopefully we can find another Sutter/Boychuk type in the mid first in 2011 as well as find some real good players with the picks we get for guys like Corvo, A Ward, Whitney and Cullen.
I think Cullen may very well be back here next year (a typical JR thing to do, in some people's eyes). Some may not like him or some of his dipsy-doodles, but the bottom line is he produces at pretty much the rate that's expected of him. Some call him the ECHL player, so I often wonder if they've ever watched hockey before. He's a solid player and he does his job. Nobody has ever said he's a first line center (well, maybe Maniscalco ), but as a second- or third-line center, he's just fine.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 07:59 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

I wouldn't bet against either of Cullen or Corvo being brought back next year to be honest. I would just prefer to get assets for them then maybe slightly overpay to bring them back. Have to think that Cullen's first choice is going to be here with the way things went last time, and Corvo is likely along the same track.

Old
12-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

so our roster includes

Dwyer
Harrison
Carson
Tlusty

Yikes... That's a career AHL roster minus Tlusty

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 08:12 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
so our roster includes

Dwyer
Harrison
Carson
Tlusty

Yikes... That's a career AHL roster minus Tlusty
I wouldn't call Carson a career AHLer. He was never given a chance on NHL level yet, still considered a prospect in Canes organization.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
I wouldn't call Carson a career AHLer. He was never given a chance on NHL level yet, still considered a prospect in Canes organization.
I wouldn't call him a sure NHLer either yet... He is still AHL material right now, I guess is what I meant...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 08:35 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
I wouldn't call him a sure NHLer either yet... He is still AHL material right now, I guess is what I meant...
in other words he is a prospect right now.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 08:36 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Carson's a tweener to me. Good enough for the NHL but not established yet by any stretch of the imagination.

I liked what Tlusty brought to start with, but sadly he seemed to disappear late in the game. Maybe some PP time eventually would help, he's probably more skilled then a lot of our other options there. Could really help him stick if he can establish himself there.