HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's up with JVR?

Old
12-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I actually do agree also. I noticed it last game. He looks...lost... And its NOT his points, its his playing style. It just seems different then earlier in the season
He has to make the adjustment to the pro game, get used to playing more games then he ever has, and learn a new system on the fly.

I think these things would contribute to him looking lost.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Again, this has nothing to do with point totals.

Does anyone read what I write or am I just really bad at explaining what I mean?
I've read what you said.. You are overreacting.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
No offense, but what the **** are you talking about? Has the fact that our coach wants us to dump the puck penetrated your brain? I mean, do you realize that JVR is following Laviolette's instructions to dump the puck into the zone and use the forecheck to maintain offensive zone posssession? Do you realize that JVR's line is by far the best one at doing this on the team?

This team isn't going to be about flash any more, it's going to be about hard work and learning how to get of our defensive zone without making an attempted home run pass every time.

I don't even see what you are talking about at all to be honest with you, JVR has remained solid defensively, has bought into the coach's instructions, and is part of the best line on the team. Do you understand that hockey is a team game? You seem to be implying that Carter's line is essentially playing 4 on 5, how do you explain then that it's the best line on the team?

Just mind-boggling.
Is there a problem with dumping the puck? I don't believe I ever said there was. What is happening after he dumps the puck and he does get posession? I'm arguing that nothing is happening.

When's the last time you saw him make a creative play or a gorgeous pass like he did for 15 games or so? Because I can't remember.

Again, I'm not hating on the kid. I think he's a fantastic player. I just think he is struggling right now. And not struggling in the sense that he isnt at a PPG as he was, bc that's crazy.

I'm gonna quote myself.

"I'm not saying that this struggle he is going through isn't ok. Because it is. As you said, it's gonna be a tough transition for him. I'm merely stating that he is in fact struggling."

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
He is a rookie.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:46 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
May have something to do with us having a new coach. He has to get used to a different system. Also he's still young, I'm sure the speed of the game gets him at times.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:49 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
He has to make the adjustment to the pro game, get used to playing more games then he ever has, and learn a new system on the fly.

I think these things would contribute to him looking lost.
Absolutely true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I've read what you said.. You are overreacting.
I didn't think so. Just thought he hasn't looked good of late. No big deal.

Any overreacting I may have done was in regards to what I believed was people essentially ignoring my argument.

Old
12-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Fair enough.

If we're gonna talk points (Note: this is the first and only time I've discussed points in my entire argument) he has only had 1 in his last 10. So he was 18 pts in 16 games. Now he is 19 in 26.

And as stated before, a lack of points is completely acceptable if I still saw him doing the things I saw him doing earlier. I don't believe he ist still doing those things (see playing with the same confidence), which was my reasoning behind starting this thread.
Understood.

While it would have been nice for him to keep that torrid pace, it was a pipe dream to expect such production from him in his rookie season...seeing as he came straight from College.

I've said what I think it is, more games, better competition, nagging injuries and of course -- growing pains. They will come, they will go.

And on that note, good luck with your thread.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:51 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Understood.

While it would have been nice for him to keep that torrid pace, it was a pipe dream to expect such production from him in his rookie season...seeing as he came straight from College.

I've said what I think it is, more games, better competition, nagging injuries and of course -- growing pains. They will come, they will go.

And on that note, good luck with your thread.
Agreed.

Old
12-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
When's the last time you saw him make a creative play or a gorgeous pass like he did for 15 games or so? Because I can't remember.
Didn't he just get hit by like 2 or 3 dudes in the slot, stay on his feet, and make a backhand pass to someone recently? I'm actually asking a question, its not rhetorical. I remember someone doing that and I believe it was him

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:54 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Didn't he just get hit by like 2 or 3 dudes in the slot, stay on his feet, and make a backhand pass to someone recently? I'm actually asking a question, its not rhetorical. I remember someone doing that and I believe it was him
I vaguely recall what you're talking about. Wish I could remember now as well.

Old
12-11-2009, 03:01 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Does anyone read what I write or am I just really bad at explaining what I mean?
I ask myself that very question nearly every day.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:10 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
He's a rookie.
Quote:
He is a rookie.
What he said, twice.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:40 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
He is a rookie.
On top of that, he's 20. I'm sure if he had two full years in the AHL like Bartulis he'd look quite comfortable all the time as well.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 04:11 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Is there a problem with dumping the puck? I don't believe I ever said there was. What is happening after he dumps the puck and he does get posession? I'm arguing that nothing is happening.

Again, I'm not hating on the kid. I think he's a fantastic player. I just think he is struggling right now. And not struggling in the sense that he isnt at a PPG as he was, bc that's crazy.

I'm gonna quote myself.

"I'm not saying that this struggle he is going through isn't ok. Because it is. As you said, it's gonna be a tough transition for him. I'm merely stating that he is in fact struggling."
So you've gone from saying that he doesn't have possession to that he has possession, but nothing is happening? And I mean, personally, I've seen him create plenty of chances that simply haven't gone in.

Once JVR stops playing strong D and his line stops generating offense, we can have a problem with him, but right now, I just don't get your complaint. You say that points don't matter (which is the only leg you would have to stand on IMO), and then go on to say he's struggling, yet he's a key part on the best line we have, the line that's playing good D and creating the most chances.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:00 PM
agrudez*

To be honest, I thought during the start of our losing streak JVR was playing decently, just wasn't getting any support from his linemates.

The last few games his line mates have been playing well and he has been the weak link.

All in all I have to say that him not playing like an all-star for the entirety of his rookie year means he is a bust and we should trade him asap while his stock is high after being the ROOKIE OF THE MONTH FOR NOVEMBER, before teams realize how terrible he is.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:12 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
To be honest, I thought during the start of our losing streak JVR was playing decently, just wasn't getting any support from his linemates.

The last few games his line mates have been playing well and he has been the weak link.

All in all I have to say that him not playing like an all-star for the entirety of his rookie year means he is a bust and we should trade him asap while his stock is high after being the ROOKIE OF THE MONTH FOR NOVEMBER, before teams realize how terrible he is.
Lol, he is far from terrible. Just in a rough patch.

Old
12-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Lol, he is far from terrible. Just in a rough patch.
I think he was hoping not to have to include one of these "".

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:35 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I think he was hoping not to have to include one of these "".
I thought riding the caps lock to emphasize that he was rookie of the month last month would have been enough to shine a light on my sarcasm, alas, this was not the case. Lesson learned.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:13 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I thought riding the caps lock to emphasize that he was rookie of the month last month would have been enough to shine a light on my sarcasm, alas, this was not the case. Lesson learned.
lol damnit. forgive me