HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Facing "Six Figure" Fine for Playing Ineligible Player

Old
12-11-2009, 03:03 AM
The Human Torch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
I was wondering the same thing.
read my post about half a page up.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:42 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
one thing I find interesting is the fact the why didn't the in house nhl officials catch on to it.

I remember back in the 80's Slats talking about how that the in house officials are supposed to compare the roster that a team puts in for the game with the official NHL roster. Why didn't the in house officials catch it. Teams have to have their game rosters in I believe either 1hour before the game starts or 45minutes.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:14 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
one thing I find interesting is the fact the why didn't the in house nhl officials catch on to it.

I remember back in the 80's Slats talking about how that the in house officials are supposed to compare the roster that a team puts in for the game with the official NHL roster. Why didn't the in house officials catch it. Teams have to have their game rosters in I believe either 1hour before the game starts or 45minutes.
Not sure if it is the in-house officials job to know if a player had been recalled properly or not.

As you say, there job is to compare the lists. The Canadians may have put him on the official roster.

It sounds like they didn't notify the league he had been recalled.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:18 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Not sure if it is the in-house officials job to know if a player had been recalled properly or not.

As you say, there job is to compare the lists. The Canadians may have put him on the official roster.

It sounds like they didn't notify the league he had been recalled.
if memory serves me right--the official list is supposed to get fax or emailed to the inhouse officials 90minutes before game time and the teams submit their roster 1hour before game time and they are supposed to be compared

Old
12-11-2009, 01:21 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
if memory serves me right--the official list is supposed to get fax or emailed to the inhouse officials 90minutes before game time and the teams submit their roster 1hour before game time and they are supposed to be compared
Thanks.

If that is the case, it should have been caught when he was on their list but not the official list. Looks like the NHL made an error as well.

Though something similar happened to the Oilers when they picked a non-draft eligible player. In the late rounds you just pick the name on the computer. What was a non-eligible player doing in the computer so that the Oilers could pick him?

The NHL never owned up to that error either.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I kinda curious what the league would do if this was Phoenix that made this muck up.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:40 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
I guess the question I have to ask is where do you get a job that pays you to watch the game? I mean sure it was the Habs, but if someone paid me I'd watch it.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Ah, the NHL.

Someone gets half killed in a game -

"We'll let it go, it was probably unintentional and/or he's a star"

Administrative error -

"SIX FIGURE FINE! don't let them get away with it! Make sure no one else ever dares do it either!"

Good to see the NHL has it's priorities straight

I really wish this forum (like many other forums) allowed for us to THANK users for a post, or GROAN at a post.

This is an excellent point. It's also a huge reason hockey is not popular in the states.

Most of my former colleagues and co-workers felt it was just a giant goon-hooligan sport, and their lasting impression of 'ice-hockey' was the Todd Bertuzzi incident.

They're also quite shocked Todd Bertuzzi is still playing in the NHL.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Thanks.

If that is the case, it should have been caught when he was on their list but not the official list. Looks like the NHL made an error as well.

Though something similar happened to the Oilers when they picked a non-draft eligible player. In the late rounds you just pick the name on the computer. What was a non-eligible player doing in the computer so that the Oilers could pick him?

The NHL never owned up to that error either.
This is ridiculous. Of course the NHL doesnt have every draft eligible player on a list. In my draft year, I gaurantee you I wasnt on the NHL's list.
Its the responsibility of the team picking a player in the draft or putting him on the ice to ensure that he is eligible.
Any suggestion otherwise is patendly absurd.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Oil Gauge

How is everyone coming to such bold conclusions when we don't even know what truly happened? Unless i'm missing something?

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 04:14 PM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
This is ridiculous. Of course the NHL doesnt have every draft eligible player on a list. In my draft year, I gaurantee you I wasnt on the NHL's list.
Ya, I can pretty much guarantee it too.

OH SNAPPITY DOO!

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 05:17 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

I think one reason why it is just a fine is because the in house NHL officials missed the conflicting rosters

Old
12-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Faryn

Their just trying to find money to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix haha just kidding, but seriously it just seems like a misunderstanding Gaineys old he probably forgot that he had forgotten to send it, or it got lost en-route.

Faryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:15 AM
grego

when Manitoba in CIS football had an inelligible player for 5 games, they ended up being stripped of their wins for those games and missing the playoffs with the resulting loss.

That is the only kind of instance I can think of for an inelligible player

grego is offline   Reply With Quote