HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/11/09 Are you a Penner supporter?

View Poll Results: Are you a Penner supporter?
always was 67 48.91%
i am now! 42 30.66%
Warming up to the boy 16 11.68%
He still needs work 6 4.38%
i can't stand him 2 1.46%
Other, please explain 4 2.92%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
I think in order to vote in this poll you need to provide historic evidence.

But I voted that I've always been a supporter. When he signed the OS and through his first season I could see the potential in his game. Assuming he could put it all together, what's not to like? Big body, soft hands, drives the net well...it all seemed so good.

Of course last year, I (like everyone else) lost a lot of confidence in his game. It was sort of how I feel about Nilsson now - all the tools but not the mental drive that you need to be successful in this league. Of course he and MacT had some issues, but at least half of his poor season last year was attributed to himself.

Of course, no one saw this season coming. What I saw in him earlier was good, but I was ultimately hoping for a 30-30-60 kind of season from him. Even after the "drop-off" of the first ten games, he's on pace for roughly 67 points. I'm A-okay with that!

I just hope that he can keep this up. It's a pleasure watching him play and this is the kind of player you want on your team.
How about if I ask Replacement to back me up on this one?

I voted "always was", but would also have voted "needs more work". I love what he has brought to th table this year but he will need to work hard to make this the new norm. I also believe that we need realistic expectaions. ILike you have always said that a 30 -30 -60 season and defensively responsible play will earn his paycheck. It would be nice to get more, but I am not being greedy.

That said, I think talk of the Olympic team is not really appropriate. He is not there yet and very well may never be. The are going to be some fantastic players left off that team. Four years from now if he builds from where he is now the story might well be different.

Last edited by Fourier: 12-11-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Eytinge

I always was a fan of Penner, I remember that I got ripped on for defending him in the Dany Heatley trade thread for having the gall to mention that I would rather have Smid, Penner, and Cogliano then Heatley.

I always have been a fan of Penner, Smid, Nilsson, and Stortini. I like Gilbert a lot too but he has pissed me off this year.

I don't see why everyone is so crazy over O'Sullivan. I dont' really see a lot in him. He does a lot of things good, but nothing great. I'm also not that big of a Cogs fan, although I do like him as a player.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:51 PM
OmegaTheory

I've been a Penner fan since he was with the Ducks.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:52 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Other.

I was supportive of the offersheet, but I had pause. I was supportive of the player because the math was on his side, but sometimes I pleaded frustration with him.

I was never someone who wanted to run him out of town, but I can't honestly say I've always been a Penner supporter.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Asher

Thanks to the 2 Nucks fans that decided to vote for Option #5.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 06:34 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Thanks to the 2 Nucks fans that decided to vote for Option #5.
Yeah, anonymous polls suck.

I demand accountability.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
How about if I ask Replacement to back me up on this one?

I voted "always was", but would also have voted "needs more work". I love what he has brought to th table this year but he will need to work hard to make this the new norm.
Yep you and BBO and others were always there for Dustin. I think you described his development and potential as eloquently as anyone.

Well also IceDragoon who years ago tried to talk some Pennersense into me.

Kudos.

I've been out to lunch on this player always.

Clueless really.

I never saw this coming. Penner had been winning me over all along this year and of course but tonight sealed the deal.

What a performance.

Again.

I feel like a non believer thats had to have several miracles happen to take notice.

I'm reminded of the movie "Henry Poole is here."

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:37 PM
oh_canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post
Everyone is full of **** no way over 50% were always Penner supporters.. I'd be shocked if it was 5 %
Why because there are a number of clueless loud mouths who pad their post count with mindless player bashing and who try to work it into every possible thread that is made on the board, so it seems like their is an army of voices against player X?

oh_canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:44 AM
VincenzosOil

I was glad there was a team willing to take his contract. Of course, with the way he's going now I would hold onto him for dear life but for Heatley at that time, good riddance.

Smid same thing. Though he was coming on last year, he was still tradeable for Heatley. Another trade that in hindsight I am glad did not pan out if only to see how Penner, Smid and, to a lesser extent, Cogliano develop with Quinn and Renney.

VincenzosOil is offline   Reply With Quote