HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

[Hypothetical]Big Contract + 1st for garbage.

View Poll Results: If YOU where the GM, would you trade one of the big contracts and a 1st for Garbage?
In a Heartbeat 10 13.51%
Yes, but I would consider turning it down 11 14.86%
No, but I would consider it 20 27.03%
When hell freezes over I'll think about it... 33 44.59%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Right, so because he messed up 3 times he will always mess up.

I flip a coin 3 times and it's tails all 3 times. Should I assume it will always be tails.
sather might be the worst GM in the NHL when it comes to UFA...on that aspect SBOB is right on the button...he cant help himself, he has to make a splash, even if that splash murders the team.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

must be nice to be a mod...you screw up a sentence, then can go back and delete everyones needling response to you on it so it never happened :-P

Old
12-12-2009, 02:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
must be nice to be a mod...you screw up a sentence, then can go back and delete everyones needling response to you on it so it never happened :-P
Yeah, yeah.

12-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You should with him. He gave out these awful contracts so lets get rid of them and give him another chance to give out bad contracts. And have we forgotten Gomez's contract?

So far, he's been very lucky with Gaborik.

And are we supposed to forget what he did pre-lockout? Bad contracts are the norm, not the exception with this guy.
For the first time in his stay in NY, There was pressure by the fans, the media and (arguably the players imo but irrelevant) to fire Sather. The guy has learned... Hopefully. And if he has not learned, he has at least, AT LEAST, knows that another mistake like that and his job will be on the line.

To be successful you need to draw free agents to your team. Not be scared of them. It seems natural now as a Ranger fan to be scared of Free agents but they are necessary.

He cleaned up the Gomez mess and turned nothing into an asset. So, at the end of the day that signing turned out to be a good one. SUPRISINGLY. I never thought I would say this.

Drury's contract sucks. Reddens sucks. He **** the bed and now he has to sleep in it. You can bet he is going to be more careful with signing free agents. He was this year. I think signing Gaborik was a must. He is WORLD-CLASS talent. Kotalik was also a good signing. He opens up the power play. If you don't have to watch the shot from the point the PK becomes a piece of cake.

I don't think(It's impossible to know) Sather will make mistakes like he did with Redden/Gomez/Drury which I guess is the key to my hypothetical strategy being successfull and this arguement is for the most part a long drawn out arguement with little to no room to advance unless someone here knows Sather personally. So I can't say if your wrong or right on this one, only time will tell. But I do think the logic that trading Redden+1st for garbage will help us now and to the future is concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
lmao.

Last edited by Garfinkel1: 12-12-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Yeah, yeah.

Old
12-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Edge

Quote:

I flip a coin 3 times and it's tails all 3 times. Should I assume it will always be tails.

I don't think you compare something that is fairly unpredictable to someone's thought-out, choices.

One is essentially a measure of luck, the other the result of deliberate decisions.

Now on to the main point, I don't think this team gets better just by going out and signing people. I think this team has to build from within and compliment those homegrown players with key free agent signings.

I'd sooner banish contracts to the minors than compounding mistakes by sacraficing even more assets.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I don't think you compare something that is fairly unpredictable to someone's thought-out, choices.

One is essentially a measure of luck, the other the result of deliberate decisions.
I didn't mean it in a literal sense. I meant that just because someone makes the same mistake (all without knowing how they will play out so there was no time to learn from his mistake) doesn't mean he WILL do it again.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:

I'm gonna go ahead and say he made a mistake 4 times... Kotalik at 3m with a NTC

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Edge

Quote:
I didn't mean it in a literal sense. I meant that just because someone makes the same mistake (all without knowing how they will play out so there was no time to learn from his mistake) doesn't mean he WILL do it again.
I have to respectfully disagree.

Sather has been here almost 10 years now and even in our best years we've had seriosly flawed teams.

He hasn't won anything in nearly 20 years now and has had far more bad teams than good teams.

He's had some diamonds in the rough - Jagr, Gaborik, but the real strength of this team was it's ability to finally develop some home grown talent (Dubinsky, Callahan, Lundqvist, Staal) which I've always credited Maloney for.

As a whole, Sather has never been a great free agent signer and he's very hit or miss as a trader.

He's made some brilliant moves (Jagr for Carter) and some moronic moves.

Sather has been given a far longer rope than he deserves. We're steaming towards the year 2010 and this team is no closer to a champion than it was in 1998.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
It does when he keeps doing the same thing over and over again. There's word for that insanity.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Nick00

Bad idea.
Right now we're 24th in the league and on pace for a top 5 pick.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:06 PM
tjs252

Cap space does not win games, clamoring for it is foolish.

If we don't care about the return all of our contracts are movable. All of them. This obsession with moving the underperforming players is ridiculous.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

It seems like a lot of the people petitioning to do whatever it takes to rid ourselves of these contracts are the same ones who think we should be tanking for a lottery pick.

If these guys are driving our team into the ground, seems kind of counter-intuitive to want them gone, yeah?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It seems like a lot of the people petitioning to do whatever it takes to rid ourselves of these contracts are the same ones who think we should be tanking for a lottery pick.

If these guys are driving our team into the ground, seems kind of counter-intuitive to want them gone, yeah?
Gotta be thankful sometimes that Fans aren't the GM's....although there are some people on these Ranger's boards that would probably do a better job then Sather regarding some things....

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:22 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Thats not the only thing either:

If the Rangers were to say trade Redden with a 1st to whoever for a garbage player there would no way for them to get better this season which means that 1st rounder would be very very good.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Gotta be thankful sometimes that Fans aren't the GM's....although there are some people on these Ranger's boards that would probably do a better job then Sather regarding some things....
I feel like if about 10 posters here could collectively be the GM we would have one of the best GM's in the entire league.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:25 PM
satrabyk

I dont think you give up a first for free, it makes no sense whatsoever. I am all for losing these three guys, mainly Drury, but why can we not buy out there contracts. The way i see it if Sather signed em, and the owner keeps Sather, it is his respnsibiltiy to make this team better. If he wants to be immature, ubnoxious, stubbron when he signs these overrated players so be it, but it his and the owners obligation to pay for it and buy them out. This is why i continue to point out these mistakes as they should not be forgotten because it will only happen again.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:35 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
Cap space does not win games, clamoring for it is foolish.

If we don't care about the return all of our contracts are movable. All of them. This obsession with moving the underperforming players is ridiculous.
Wow your sound like a Sather puppet. Cap space does not win games, these players Drury, Redden, are moveable? Please tell me your joking with this. No one would pick these players up. To me Drury is the most overpaid in the league, and Redden(althoguh has shown some good points is also highly overpaid for a player in his situation. When we talk about cap space were talking about potential, yes money does not win games, but the potential to sign a player(s) is a better position than being commited with no flexebiltiy. What you say argues that some of the top skilled players in the league are not as good to have as Drury. Or some of the top D men are not as good as Redden.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:43 PM
darko

No way. 2 more years of Rozy and Drury so we can ride them out. Redden is a problem though. We've drafted pretty well lately so the answer is definitely no.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:57 PM
TheHotRock

i would consider trading redden and a first just to clear some space. the other 2 fools only have 2 years left...they'll be gone soon enough. (plus rozy's $ amount will go down next year and the year after that...he'll be pretty tradeable without having to package a valuable asset just to dump him)

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I feel like if about 10 posters here could collectively be the GM we would have one of the best GM's in the entire league.
until they offer rozsival for thornton and are shocked when they are hung up on

Old
12-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Gm by committee, lol. Disaster in the making.

Rob Schremp would be a failed Ranger, Sean Avery would have a 12 year 50 million dollar contract, and we would change coaches every 3 weeks. Our defense would have 4 rookies instead of 2, and Petr Prucha would still be playing 20 minutes a night.

None of the other gms would trade with us because they;d be insulted by the offers we sent

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Gm by committee, lol. Disaster in the making.

Rob Schremp would be a failed Ranger, Sean Avery would have a 12 year 50 million dollar contract, and we would change coaches every 3 weeks. Our defense would have 4 rookies instead of 2, and Petr Prucha would still be playing 20 minutes a night.

None of the other gms would trade with us because they;d be insulted by the offers we sent
NHL 10 here i come!

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

just going over my blog the past few years, i think my team would look something like this if some of the trades i proposed actually worked... (ie trading high draft picks for bobby ryan, etc)

Heatley Prospal Gaborik
Zherdev Dubinsky Ryan
Avery Anisimov Grachev/PAP
Byers Betts Korpikoski

Staal Rozsival (yes i would have re-signed Rozsival, and I woulda been wrong)
Souray Girardi
MDZ Sauer

Henrik
Vally/Johnson

Coach: Brent Sutter or John Tortorella, preferably Sutter.

someone can work on the cap numbers, but i think it would work out fine...though the cupboard would be a little bare beyond what we have on the NHL roster because of the trades sending cally sangs and a first for Heatley, and whatever it woulda taken to get bobby ryan here...

Old
12-12-2009, 05:43 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

I'd rather us draft and build our own stars.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote