HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do you think there is anything you can do in a more expensive skate then a lesser one

Old
12-10-2009, 01:10 PM
tobyandmisty

vCash: 500
Do you think there is anything you can do in a more expensive skate then a lesser one

I was curious if you think there was anything that you could do or do better in a skate that was a few hundred dollars then you could in a pair costing maybe $65.00 or so.

tobyandmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 01:33 PM
pfloyd75

Directly because of the skate? No.

Indirectly? Yes. Well... kind of. Depends on how you look at it.

I started out on cheap skates. They fit well and seemed comfortable at first but after a few shifts, my feet would be throbbing. After games my ankles and arches just absolutely ached something fierce. I upgraded to mid-range skates and my feet don't hurt at all- even after skating in multiple games.

The skates don't make me a better player but they improved my comfort level and thus increased my enjoyment of the game. They also made it possible for me to play longer. They also save me money on advil since my dogs ain't barkin when I get back from the rink if you know what I mean.

The extra money to upgrade to better skates was worth every single penny.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:05 PM
hubby1746

i went from Vapor XII to Vapor XXXX and the 40's r so much more comfortable. They took only a couple skates to break in and my feet never hurt. Its way easier to skate when ur not worrying about how bad ur feet hurt. The fact that I got them for $250 when they cost $400 was also a plus. So the extra $150 to go from 12's to 40's was way worth it

hubby1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd75 View Post
Directly because of the skate? No.

Indirectly? Yes. Well... kind of. Depends on how you look at it.

I started out on cheap skates. They fit well and seemed comfortable at first but after a few shifts, my feet would be throbbing. After games my ankles and arches just absolutely ached something fierce. I upgraded to mid-range skates and my feet don't hurt at all- even after skating in multiple games.

The skates don't make me a better player but they improved my comfort level and thus increased my enjoyment of the game. They also made it possible for me to play longer. They also save me money on advil since my dogs ain't barkin when I get back from the rink if you know what I mean.

The extra money to upgrade to better skates was worth every single penny.
This, it's amazing how much more comfortable your feet feel after a game with a mid-range pair of skates than a cheap pair. I went from a $50 pair of old used skates from some used equipment store to a $200 pair of CCM Vectors and what a difference. I played before classes and couldn't even walk to my classes in my old skates. With the new skates, I'm not only walking with ease, I'm running up and down stairs like I didn't even skate in the morning.

Don't take my word for it since the Vectors are the best skates I ever wore but I do believe that even more expensive skates ($300-500 range) that they offer a lot better protection when blocking shots with your skates. Again, I can't say I know this for a fact but I remember somebody posting a video of a regular pair of skates vs some new high tech Easton ones taking a slapshot in slow-mo and those expensive Eastons looked like you'd be fine.

Frankie Spankie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:28 PM
sirpipsalot

I say yes. I went from a pair of vecor 04s to Bauer x-40s. MAJOR improvement in skating control. I can cut way harder with my new skates without sliding out. Much of it has to do with proper ankle support and stiffness. The cheaper skates have nylon or less stiff materials in the ankle/heel area, which flexes more. When your cutting hard or pushing off, flex = less control and more wasted movement.

That being said, it's probably more important to get a pair that fits you as best as possible. A $90 pair of skates that fits perfect will work better then a $300 pair that gives you pain or fits wrong. After that, the cheaper skates will just wear out faster.

sirpipsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:50 PM
blueberrydanish

You can block shots with more confidence, thats for sure lol. I got a midranged skate XVI, only felt a shot or two with em. Defanitly gonna try and get a slightly better pair next time I need skates(hopefully XXXX if I can find em in my size when time comes).

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:29 PM
CanadaBacon

My 120 ag's died so im using my 70 ag's. There is no difference in my skating at all, mind you i always swap out the Mission holders for Tuuks.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Hockeyfan68

I would say with the light wieght skates these days they have to be beneficial as well as the great stiffness in today's skates.

I wear a bit better than intermediate skate of sorts which I bought this past summer as a closeout from 2003 and even those are very good compared to some Supreme skates from the early 90s I wore before.

yeah it makes a difference when you have a decent stiff skate also the cheaper skates are made of lesser materials so durability and performance are sacrificed if one gets a "cheapskate".

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:06 PM
noobman

My midrange skates (~$300) feel a lot more comfortable and fit a lot better than my old low-mid skates (~$120).

When I first started learning to skate my parents would go to this skate rental place and rent me skates for the duration of the skating classes (12 weeks). My feet would always ache afterwards.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:42 PM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyandmisty View Post
I was curious if you think there was anything that you could do or do better in a skate that was a few hundred dollars then you could in a pair costing maybe $65.00 or so.
I would not play hockey in $65 skates.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 04:50 PM
tobyandmisty

Well for the amount I am getting out lately I should not spend any more money on better skates. It has been tough finding the time to play.

The reason I asked the question is that I have a pair of Bauer 105s which I think cost me about $65.00 a year ago. The skates are not baked and seem to fit pretty good. My feet never hurt. I have even taken shots to the foot and felt no pain. The issue for me is my skating. I am only mediocre and want to get better but for the amount of time I get out I should not be that mad.

I just cannot get the thought out of my mind that my skating would improve with a more expensive skate. I had this happen to me with rollerblades. The first pair I tried were cheap and I hated them, then I tried a good pair and it made all of the difference in the world.

tobyandmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 04:52 PM
cheezymadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
I would not play hockey in $65 skates.
I wouldn't pay $200 for a piece of metal bolted to a shoe.

cheezymadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 05:06 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezymadman View Post
Skates are much, much more complicated then you seem to think.

$65 skates are crap. They'll be uncomfortable, not very protective, heavy and not very stiff. You get what you pay for is very true when it comes to skates.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:37 PM
TonyBabagan00sh

i still prefer my classic CCM Tacks 310 from the 90's. They fit great.

TonyBabagan00sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 06:32 PM
LongRoad

Quote:
Glad to see you're spouting off uninformed opinion like always. Some things never change I suppose.

LongRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:29 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyandmisty View Post
Well for the amount I am getting out lately I should not spend any more money on better skates. It has been tough finding the time to play.

The reason I asked the question is that I have a pair of Bauer 105s which I think cost me about $65.00 a year ago. The skates are not baked and seem to fit pretty good. My feet never hurt. I have even taken shots to the foot and felt no pain. The issue for me is my skating. I am only mediocre and want to get better but for the amount of time I get out I should not be that mad.

I just cannot get the thought out of my mind that my skating would improve with a more expensive skate. I had this happen to me with rollerblades. The first pair I tried were cheap and I hated them, then I tried a good pair and it made all of the difference in the world.
The general rule of thumb is to buy the best pair of skates you can afford. If you've got a pair of skates that fit well and don't cause you discomfort I see no urgency for you to buy a new, more expensive pair especially if you're a novice. Practice skating whether it's in a game or just open skating at a rink and work on your starts, stops, turns, pivots etc. Wait until your skating is strong enough that you really feel your skates are holding you back. You'll have a better idea of what to look for in your next pair.

For what it's worth I played for years with a pair of CCM Tacks that were at least a size and a half bigger than what I should have been wearing. I bought them from a big box store with no guidance from a salesman and didn't know sneaker sizes are different from skate sizes. I seriously doubt I would have been a better player with more expensive skates because I hadn't learned fundamental skating skills. When I finally bought my next pair I noticed how big a difference there was between my new and old skates and I was able to put those improvements to good use.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:16 PM
cheezymadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathansPost View Post
Glad to see you're spouting off uninformed opinion like always. Some things never change I suppose.
Sorry, what? I've been here a month.

cheezymadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:44 AM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Thats great. Do whatever you want.

I, personally, would not play hockey in $65 skates. The reason is simple: I don't want to hurt my feet.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:45 PM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

Any information on goalie skates, maybe?

I could image that :

expensive goalie skates = maximum protection for the feet

is that so?

NYRFANMANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 05:53 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
That and weight. All goalie skates will provide a decent measure of protection, but the lower end ones can be used as bricks in an emergency.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 06:06 PM
LongRoad

Quote:
Sorry, what? I've been here a month.
Your reputation precedes you.

Last edited by LongRoad: 12-13-2009 at 06:12 PM.
LongRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 07:57 PM
jmichael7753

I have a pair of Nike Bauer supreme05's cost me 40 bucks. Ive used them for 6 months staight in games and I absouletely love them. I block shots constintley, i am not afraid or timid in getting in shooting lanes. and my feet are fine after each and every game.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

anyone who says that x pair of cheap skates are great and they love them and will block shots or whatever have most likely never had a good pair of skates on their feet, as it most certainly makes a difference.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
anyone who says that x pair of cheap skates are great and they love them and will block shots or whatever have most likely never had a good pair of skates on their feet, as it most certainly makes a difference.
Yep ... block a couple of shots with cheap skates and see why paying a bit more would have been worth it.

I also say cheap skates will NOT give you the support of a more quality skate in very sharp high force cut type turns. Especially when you have all of your weight on one foot making a tight turn toward the goal or something from the boards.

It isn't even a debate really .... one should have at least an intermediate mid priced skate. These "public skating" hockey skates are for once or twice a year players who go on a pond or public skating.

If one plays any more than that they need a decent skate.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 09:18 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
I have a pair of Nike Bauer supreme05's cost me 40 bucks. Ive used them for 6 months staight in games and I absouletely love them. I block shots constintley, i am not afraid or timid in getting in shooting lanes. and my feet are fine after each and every game.
Players in your league must have very very very weak shots, that or you havent really taken a shot off the boot, maybe the blade holder, but not the boot.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote