HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Is it really a record?

Old
12-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Terracide

vCash: 500
Is it really a record?

Is the Oilers 5 road game win streak a record?

I'm hearing that is is, and then from others i'm hearing that it isn't.

Which is it?

Terracide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Tree444

5 straight games on the same road trip. The record for straight road games won in general is 8, but they were not on the same road trip. Makes it a lot less exciting eh?

Tree444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
First 5 game win streak on the same road trip.

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Lounge Act*

I thought about it last night and no, I don't consider it one anymore.

If you accept this as a record, then you accept that the 2007 Ducks beat the 1985 Oilers record for a 15 game unbeaten streak to start the season (12-0-4/12-0-3)

I refuse to acknowledge the Ducks record because the Oilers didn't have the option of a shootout, so logically I can't acknowledge the 5-game win streak record either.

Or that the '07 Sabres beat the '94 Leafs record or 10 straight wins to start the season. Am I right

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree444 View Post
5 straight games on the same road trip. The record for straight road games won in general is 8, but they were not on the same road trip. Makes it a lot less exciting eh?
This is the goods here.

But theres some other perspective which I posted in the PGT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep
But you have to consider that in the glory years there were tie games. Quite a few of them really. When you look at it in that context this wouldn't be a 5 game winning streak either..just saying.

Teams could have very long undefeated streaks back then but not so long winning streaks. The ties would interupt those streaks. Especially on the road when its harder in any case to Win every night.

Finally teams would try to get up for the Oil while at home and didn't want to be embarrassed. Especially with a club that had the ability to put up double digit scores..
When your a championship club on the road everybody is gunning for you.
When people look at "records" sometimes its prudent to think of the rule changes that may be related. OT W's have really increased the ability to have a "Win" streak. Its of course also more likely in todays OT era to have longer "losing" streak as OTL's, even in Shootout, are included. Recent versions of the Oilers would also probably hold the record for longest losing streaks.

Last edited by Replacement: 12-12-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:52 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Act View Post

If you accept this as a record, then you accept that the 2007 Ducks beat the 1985 Oilers record for a 15 game unbeaten streak to start the season (12-0-4/12-0-3)

I refuse to acknowledge the Ducks record because the Oilers didn't have the option of a shootout, so logically I can't acknowledge the 5-game win streak record either.

Or that the '07 Sabres beat the '94 Leafs record or 10 straight wins to start the season. Am I right
It's an oilers record. Yes I am sure their are times the oil might have won two came home etc etc but that is not five straight games on the road. The straight being the optimum clue!

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Lounge Act*

My line of reasoning is if you accept this record, then you must acknowledge the Ducks record, because they both include shootouts which means it would have been a tie in the era of the previous records.

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
My line of reasoning is if you accept this record, then you must acknowledge the Ducks record, because they both include shootouts which means it would have been a tie in the era of the previous records.
I agree with your line of reasoning. You're correct. This is basically an exercise to inflate tires, but whatever. It's more important that they achieve some level of consistency with their game than it really is to have a win streak. Although winning games is nice.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Gamefreak
Bee.

I don't see the old record of four games anywhere in the media guide, so I guess they'll just add it in somewhere for next year's edition.

Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:44 PM
hockeyaddict101

I will repeat. It is not a NHL record. It is an oilers record.

Old
12-12-2009, 11:08 PM
ales83fan

Wait its really not. Because Its 5 of 6 straight road games. We lost the first one to the canucks. Yes....the boys came home in between....but it's still a road trip. Its like the NYR playing an away game in Long Island, sleeping in their own beds, then going to Jersey. Thats a two game road trip, just like this is a 6 game road trip.

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 11:20 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
Wait its really not. Because Its 5 of 6 straight road games. We lost the first one to the canucks. Yes....the boys came home in between....but it's still a road trip. Its like the NYR playing an away game in Long Island, sleeping in their own beds, then going to Jersey. Thats a two game road trip, just like this is a 6 game road trip.
It is the first time the Oilers have ever won 5 straight road games. It is an Oilers record.

Let's get it straight for everyone. Home games in-between don't count.

It doesn't matter that there was a loss.

It is an Oilers record and not an NHL record.

Simply put it is the first time in Oiler history they have ever won 5 straight road games!

Old
12-13-2009, 12:09 AM
OilerNut*

I won't accept this as a record, when we had shootouts...

Can you imagine the 80s team record in shootouts would be?

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 12:57 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I won't accept this as a record, when we had shootouts...

Can you imagine the 80s team record in shootouts would be?
So what are you going to do reject every team and NHL record that involves winning? Shootouts are not going away.

Old
12-13-2009, 01:18 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:

Except that without the shootout, wouldn't the Ducks still have been unbeaten? Those games would just be ties instead of wins.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:27 AM
Gamefreak
Bee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Except that without the shootout, wouldn't the Ducks still have been unbeaten? Those games would just be ties instead of wins.
The Ducks lost one of their games in the 5 minute overtime, but the NHL still considers their streak an 'unbeaten' streak as opposed to a 'point-scoring' streak.

Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:35 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
The Ducks lost one of their games in the 5 minute overtime, but the NHL still considers their streak an 'unbeaten' streak as opposed to a 'point-scoring' streak.
Uber lame.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:06 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
So what are you going to do reject every team and NHL record that involves winning? Shootouts are not going away.
Just exclude the ones that take a shooutout to win.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:04 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
They must at least qualify it as an "unbeaten in regulation" streak. Otherwise that's just dumb.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote