HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

How do you guys do it?

Old
12-09-2009, 08:58 AM
streetster17

vCash: 500
How do you guys do it?

I'm a Habs fan. the preds are my 2nd favorite team though (living in milwaukee, naturally i root for the admiral's NHL team) and i just wanted to ask. how is your guy's team is so damn successful? i mean you're 3 points ahead of the red wings! The predators have easily got to be the most underrated team in the NHL, coming into the season everyone was estimating you guys to finish 20-30 range but you guys are 10th! not to mention you're ahead of vancouver, columbus, and st. louis. all of which were in the playoffs last year.

streetster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:16 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Rinne and Ellis first and foremost IMO. Followed by our defense, a lot of the guys are stepping up and we're getting solid play from new additions such as the Cube.

It helps when we can actually score goals, I don't remember the exact stat but we're quite successful when we're able to score first, and especially when we manage to score on the power play we win a lot more than we lose.

That said there is still a lot of hockey in 2009 to be played let alone the rest of the season.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:09 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
IMO it starts with Weber, Suter, and here lately Hamhuis. Boullion has also been under-the-radar-excellent... Rinne and Ellis have been excellent through most stretches. And then we have one of the toughest shut down lines to go against in Smithson, Legwand, and Ward. Then when you have guys like Arnott, Erat, Sullivan, and Dumont contributing 60-70 points worth a year, you can grind out 2-1 wins quite easily.

Now if we could get O'Reilly, Hornqvist, and Jones contributing consistently (or at all), then I say we could be really tough to beat on the road and at home.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:19 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
We're undefeated when Ward scores this season. I heard that the other night. So if we can just get him to score more, we'd be set!

quartermaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:29 AM
MemphisMTLfan

We're also lucky in that we've been pretty damn healthy while other teams have not.

I honestly don't know how we do it and wonder how long this will last. Before this season started, even Preds fans weren't too optimistic about this season. The losing streak didn't help either. I'm not sure what's going on but I hope it continues.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:08 PM
BlueCollarCaptain

I don't usually watch Preds games, other then when they play the Flyers but I stayed up last night and caught most of the game against the Canucks. I loved every minute of what I watched and I felt especially happy for Martin Erat, the guy looks like such a nice person and it was good to see Tootoo dish him the puck for the hat trick at the end. I hope the best for you guys this season and hope you make a deep run in the playoffs.

BlueCollarCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:57 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I heard some good commentary a while back on how the Detroit Red Wings were the class of the West for so long, and while the whole rest of the league was slamming on the weak Central division, those teams were actually building their muscle by playing against the Wings 8 times per year.

Now the Central teams can leave any barn with a victory on any given night.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:34 PM
lstcyr

Don't forget that we have a bunch of posters who don't hesitate to share their hockey expertise with the coach and the GM. LOL

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisHockeyFan View Post
We're also lucky in that we've been pretty damn healthy while other teams have not.

I honestly don't know how we do it and wonder how long this will last. Before this season started, even Preds fans weren't too optimistic about this season. The losing streak didn't help either. I'm not sure what's going on but I hope it continues.

Hahah not even close. So far Arnott, Dumont, Ward, Weber, Hamhuis, Wilson, Erat and Tootoo have been hurt this year. We havent had any 20 game injuries and with that we are lucky but losing Arnott for 2 weeks hurt us.

As much as I may get ridiculed on here for this, Barry Trotz is the reason we are playing like we are. He has gotten the team to play a responsible game and this has allowed for our goalies and defense to have easier jobs and also it seems like we are learning how to play responibly in the offense end with potting goals and drawing penalties.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:37 PM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
It helps when we can actually score goals, I don't remember the exact stat but we're quite successful when we're able to score first, and especially when we manage to score on the power play we win a lot more than we lose.
We are 13-1 when we score a power play goal. The only loss was last Saturday, a 5-3 loss to Minnesota.

Also, staying disciplined helps. We're one of the least penalized teams so we're not spending all our time killing penalties and getting worn out, and teams aren't able to build up momentum on multiple PP's.

Good defense, from the D and from forwards. And getting good goaltending.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:00 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Hahah not even close. So far Arnott, Dumont, Ward, Weber, Hamhuis, Wilson, Erat and Tootoo have been hurt this year. We havent had any 20 game injuries and with that we are lucky but losing Arnott for 2 weeks hurt us.

As much as I may get ridiculed on here for this, Barry Trotz is the reason we are playing like we are. He has gotten the team to play a responsible game and this has allowed for our goalies and defense to have easier jobs and also it seems like we are learning how to play responibly in the offense end with potting goals and drawing penalties.
Of course they were out, but mostly during our suckage days. Lately we've been healthy and capitalizing on that.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:09 PM
deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post

and one could use the same argument that we were playing like crap the first 15 games because of Trotz trying to use a system that we played horribly. While Trotz gets some credit for us winning now...the sole reason we sucked before and are good now rests on the shoulders of our big name players. Erat is now worth the 5mil we're paying him. Arny and Sully are a threat no matter who the 3rd FW is. Dumont has slowed down a lot lately, but was big when we were hurting. We've basically came a complete circle with young players (Cal O and Jones are back up) and it was never the kids that won or lost games for us..it was the S, A, D, L, E's.

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 02:17 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I wonder which happens first: Trotz wins coach of the year or gets fired.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:36 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
Yes.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
The day he wins the Jack Adams award he will get fired.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Pachyderm I

Quote:
he seems to be fire proof...

Pachyderm I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 10:13 AM
DarkReign

As a divisonal rival fan, it starts and ends with Trotz.

The dumbest thing, and I mean epic-level of ignorance, Nash could do is fire Trotz. There are like...5 coaches in the whole league who are unanimously awesome coaches.

Babcock, Lemaire, Ruff, Hitchcock and Trotz.

Boudreau and Bylsma are just flash in the pan right now, Washington will continue to flounder in the playoffs and Bylsma has two generational talents who are only getting better.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
As a divisonal rival fan, it starts and ends with Trotz.

The dumbest thing, and I mean epic-level of ignorance, Nash could do is fire Trotz. There are like...5 coaches in the whole league who are unanimously awesome coaches.

Babcock, Lemaire, Ruff, Hitchcock and Trotz.

Boudreau and Bylsma are just flash in the pan right now, Washington will continue to flounder in the playoffs and Bylsma has two generational talents who are only getting better.
This is true and untrue at the same time. Trotz will always get his team to perform above expectations. He also has two weaknesses that will always hinder his teams - i.e. powerplay production and grooming offensive talent. On the flip side, he gets defense out of his players, manages to get the most out of just about everyone with marginal talent. He is excellent at home when he gets first change.

The reason for our success right now (in no order):

1) Shea Weber
2) Ryan Suter
3) Goaltending

We have two of the best defensemen in the league, just entering the primes of their careers. This, along with solid goaltending, can be the recipe to a cup run. If our offense plays consistently, we can be dangerous. The reemergence of Erat and Legwand has been all this team needs to turn into a dominating, rather than competitive team.

12-13-2009, 12:46 PM
FaceOfTheFranchise

Quote:
Neither of those is happening any time soon.

FaceOfTheFranchise is offline   Reply With Quote