HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dave Andreychuk to become a Bulldog?

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

vCash: 500
Dave Andreychuk to become a Bulldog?

When the middle of January passes without an agreement are the Montreal Canadiens going to allow Mike Andlauer to sign Riberio, Dagenais and Dave Andreychuk for the Bulldogs?
I'm sure everyone here knows that Mike and Pierre have expressed interest in coming to Hamilton but I'm not sure if everyone knows about the Andreychuk story. Dave has said that if there is no NHL season he would like to end his playing career with his hometown Bulldogs.
When other NHLers start to sign with AHL teams, (ie- Chris Chelios to the Chicago Wolves) are the Canadiens going to do the same or are they going to stick to there guns and stay with who they have as the other teams make themselves better?

Old
12-20-2004, 08:46 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'm ever-so-slightly softening on the idea of Ribeiro or Dagenais, because maybe signing these guys would be a step towards cracking the union solidarity a bit. Aside from that, I still think it's a bad idea for Hamilton, from a Montreal fan's perspective. Based on the last couple of Bulldogs games we've been watching on sportsnet, it looks like maybe the team has just started to turn a corner, and it would be a bit of a shame to throw that all away and parachute in some big egos and big talent. Why bump Locke down in the lineup and replace him with Ribeiro? Why bump Kostitsyn down and replace him with Dagenais? Just when they're making such progress...

As for Andreychuk... ahem, never in the bleu-blanc-rouge colours. If he wants to play somewhere, send him to Rochester or Springfield or anywhere else, I don't care. If Montreal has exclusive roster control over Hamilton, then hopefully they won't allow us to sign any veteran NHLers. Just because the semi-independent teams like Chicago or Houston might do so isn't a good enough reason for me.

Old
12-20-2004, 08:48 AM
Firthbird

Send a message via MSN to Firthbird
Well, If that is the case, and we start to see the AHL going all out and signing most of the players that are on their NHL Affiliate, then it would become the 2nd coming of the NHL, and we'd start to see networks start to carry the games. That being said, I dont know what Montreal would do. I don't think we'll see them sign many players, not unless we see NHL players being signed wide spread through-out the league.

Old
12-20-2004, 08:54 AM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firthbird
Well, If that is the case, and we start to see the AHL going all out and signing most of the players that are on their NHL Affiliate, then it would become the 2nd coming of the NHL, and we'd start to see networks start to carry the games. That being said, I dont know what Montreal would do. I don't think we'll see them sign many players, not unless we see NHL players being signed wide spread through-out the league.
My personal opinion is that it will be widespread in that most teams will sign players in January, but I don't think the volume will be heavy in the fact that each team will only sign a couple more at most.

Old
12-20-2004, 02:41 PM
AK-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog fan
My personal opinion is that it will be widespread in that most teams will sign players in January, but I don't think the volume will be heavy in the fact that each team will only sign a couple more at most.
The habs want young guns in hamilton. Andrechuk isn't a good fit. It won't happen. Ribeiro and Dagenais is a possibility.

Old
12-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Andreychuk got his Stanley Cup ring now **** off and stay away from our club. He got his retirement present so he doesn't need another present.

I say sign Ribs and not Dagenais.

Old
12-20-2004, 02:59 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Sign Ribs to feed Kost.

No for real , We need a center who can learn something to our youngs.He can give to Locke some tips.Anyways , it won't disturb the development of our young centers anyway.Pleks can play on the second line and Locke on the third or vice versa.Please , no Dagenais ! He's so lazy and He'll never learn something to the young guys but just shot like a crazy. We have enough wingers btw !

Old
12-20-2004, 03:39 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
Sign Ribs to feed Kost.

No for real , We need a center who can learn something to our youngs.He can give to Locke some tips.Anyways , it won't disturb the development of our young centers anyway.Pleks can play on the second line and Locke on the third or vice versa.Please , no Dagenais ! He's so lazy and He'll never learn something to the young guys but just shot like a crazy. We have enough wingers btw !
At first glance, I agree with you. I'm not sure Locke and Pleks would benefit that much though. Ribs is a playmaker and not a face-off artist for example. Nor does he exhibit exceptional leadership qualities. I don't think Locke, in particular, needs help with his on-ice vision and Pleks, who I see as a potential No 3 or No 4 centre, is a more rounded player defensively than Ribs IMO.

Old
12-20-2004, 04:53 PM
bopeep

Some of our younger prospects in Hamilton are just now beginning to reap the benefits of big league ice time. Take Locke for example - if that kid ever develops a set of wheels - look out. I believe Hainsey when he says he's never seen better hockey sense/vision in a young player - I just hope a little bit has rubbed off on him.

In conclusion, Ribs and Dags and Andreychuk can find icetime elsewhere.

Old
12-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep
Some of our younger prospects in Hamilton are just now beginning to reap the benefits of big league ice time. Take Locke for example - if that kid ever develops a set of wheels - look out. I believe Hainsey when he says he's never seen better hockey sense/vision in a young player - I just hope a little bit has rubbed off on him.

In conclusion, Ribs and Dags and Andreychuk can find icetime elsewhere.
Do you keep only the young guys and let them develop in the 80 regular season games, or do you add a few guys, make the playoffs maybe even win a couple of rounds?
Experience in the playoffs is way more valuable, I would rather develop a few less young guys on a contender than 80 and out.

Old
12-21-2004, 01:35 PM
AK-47

Quote:
Do you keep only the young guys and let them develop in the 80 regular season games, or do you add a few guys, make the playoffs maybe even win a couple of rounds?
Experience in the playoffs is way more valuable, I would rather develop a few less young guys on a contender than 80 and out.

I'm a habs fan first and foremost so i'm all for giving are youngsters ice time. Of course, I want to see the dogs win, but not at the expense of are team's future.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing Ribeiro and Dagenais bolster the dogs.

Old
12-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Raider917

im ok with ribiero but even using dagenais over locke or AK doesnt sit too well with me.

Old
12-21-2004, 05:14 PM
bopeep

Quote:
As Ak-47 said so succinctly above - it's somewhat of a conflict of interest being a Hab fan first, viewing Hamilton as the primary step in a process as opposed to the final product. Of course making the playoffs would be an accomplishment, but at what price?

Old
12-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

The way I see it. Adding a few veterans helps your "blue chip" prospects. Yes it will hurt the lower guys in your farm system but does anyone actually believe that all 20 (approx) guys are going to skate in the NHL?
Just like you said you were more concerned about the Habs, I'am bias towards the success of the Bulldogs but I can't see how success for the Dogs could hurt Montreal in any way.

Old
12-22-2004, 01:33 PM
bopeep

Quote:
The way I see it. Adding a few veterans helps your "blue chip" prospects. Yes it will hurt the lower guys in your farm system but does anyone actually believe that all 20 (approx) guys are going to skate in the NHL?
Just like you said you were more concerned about the Habs, I'am bias towards the success of the Bulldogs but I can't see how success for the Dogs could hurt Montreal in any way.
As my father always told me "save the last dance for the gal that brought ya"
Yes, adding some veteran NHLer's will more than likely push the Dogs into the postseason. We're speaking of quality icetime being absorbed by players that are currently not part of the team. In a team sports environment, I believe a large part of the maturing process is learning to win and lose as a team.

I suppose a good illustration of this would be the Kovalev trade. Some people (probably the majority) believe that winning a round in last year's playoffs was to the benefit of the Montreal Canadiens as a whole - young guys in pressure situations, vets believing Gainey will do whatever it takes, etc. I look at it differently though, as above - "at what cost".

I don't want to make this another pro/anti Kovalev deal thread. So I'll just say that as opposed to the Habs brief handshake with an excellent player last year, I personally would prefer to be keeping an eye on the development of Josef Balej and Bruce Graham (6'6 235 ; 38-21-14-35 for Moncton).

Old
12-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Guy Caballero

I have no problem with Andreychuk on the Dogs. Having a guy with 20+ years of NHL experience on the roster can never hurt. He'll be a great influence on our young guys. It's not like we're loading up the roster with old fogies and denying playing time to our rising stars. Who would sit for Andreychuk? Benoit Dusablon? No big loss there.

Old
12-22-2004, 07:41 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Sign Andreychuk , release Ward :lol.

No for real , Ward is struggling alot but from what I've seen , He's teaching some things to youngs.IMO Andreychuk would be a useful player to our young team.

Old
12-22-2004, 08:38 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

What was an awful play by Ward or what? He's not the same player as last season with the big team. I think he feels the pressure of producing offensively and is letting down his true game style, which is a tough, hard-working and never-say-die style. Savard must not be pleased with the way things are going on this road trip, except for the first game against the Moose. Since then, its a totally different team that we've seen.

Old
12-22-2004, 08:47 PM
tritone

Andrey"chuck" it up your a...

Why on earth? why?

Experience ? Send down Brisebois for all I care

To win ? Ribs and Dags could do that for them .

Because he wants to play in his hometown? what the hell do we owe that old fart anyway ?

It's disturbing enough that NHL players are being allowed to play anywhere to begin with...let them rot

Closed Thread