HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Kris Letang

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2009, 07:30 PM
  #1
BrookswasHere44
Registered User
 
BrookswasHere44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Kris Letang

I feel like i read in the offseason that we were close or atleast planning on locking him up soonish..is that still something we (i) can look forward to or is he someone that might get moved?

BrookswasHere44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 07:42 PM
  #2
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookswasHere44 View Post
I feel like i read in the offseason that we were close or atleast planning on locking him up soonish..is that still something we (i) can look forward to or is he someone that might get moved?
I'm pretty sure they began negotiations with his agent this off-season but elected to break them off (like the talks with Gonchar) until they got a concrete idea of next-year's cap.

It's pretty much going to come down to him or Gonchar, I think. And given that situation, I'd expect them to resign Letang unless he refuses to play ball. Goligoski definitely leapfrogged him on the PP, and his even strength play is about the same as Gogo's, albeit slightly more physical, so I'm not sure how much leverage he's going to have in the negotiations.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 07:42 PM
  #3
Super Reverse Homer
Registered User
 
Super Reverse Homer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,620
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Letang has the following ingredients going for him:

1) Young
2) Promising
3) Already established and has experience in winning
4) Held in high regards around the league
5) Right-handed
6) Looks to be competent both offensively and defensively

And only two things going against him:

1) Inconsistent
2) Competition on the team (Goligoski)

Given all this, do you think the Pens management won't attempt to lock him up before he may potentially break out into an elite defenseman?

Super Reverse Homer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 07:44 PM
  #4
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant In The Room View Post
Letang has the following ingredients going for him:

1) Young
2) Promising
3) Already established and has experience in winning
4) Held in high regards around the league
5) Right-handed
6) Looks to be competent both offensively and defensively

And only two things going against him:

1) Inconsistent
2) Competition on the team (Goligoski)

Given all this, do you think the Pens management won't attempt to lock him up before he may potentially break out into an elite defenseman?
Absolutely.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 07:47 PM
  #5
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
I'm pretty sure they began negotiations with his agent this off-season but elected to break them off (like the talks with Gonchar) until they got a concrete idea of next-year's cap.

It's pretty much going to come down to him or Gonchar, I think. And given that situation, I'd expect them to resign Letang unless he refuses to play ball. Goligoski definitely leapfrogged him on the PP, and his even strength play is about the same as Gogo's, albeit slightly more physical, so I'm not sure how much leverage he's going to have in the negotiations.
I think there is one way to keep Letang and Gonchar, and that would be to deal Kunitz. Otherwise, I think you're probably right.

We have to use logic and intelligence instead of our hearts on this one. Re-signing Letang is a must. Sarge has been a great Penguin but we can't choose to keep him over a guy 13 years his junior.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 08:19 PM
  #6
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,025
vCash: 500
15 years, 2.5M cap hit.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 08:34 PM
  #7
Ziggyjoe21
Registered User
 
Ziggyjoe21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pitt
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,260
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
15 years, 2.5M cap hit.
I wouldn't mind that actually, tho 15 is too long.

5 years $3.5 seems more likely, imo. 10 years $3 would be nice but I doubt Letang's agent would let him do that since he has potential to earn way more than that on his 3rd contract.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 08:37 PM
  #8
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,875
vCash: 500
I see Letang getting 6 years, 3.5M cap hit per year

cassius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 09:05 PM
  #9
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,777
vCash: 500
I think we'll get both Tang and Gonch signed to short-term deals.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 09:13 PM
  #10
Wes Mantooth
Registered User
 
Wes Mantooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
9 mil for 3 years. He would still be an RFA after a 3 year contract no?

Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 09:16 PM
  #11
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
I think we'll get both Tang and Gonch signed to short-term deals.
I believe so also. I sort of think it's better for Letang to be locked up short term due to how much uncertainty is on his development. You figure, 4 million with Staal was a safe bet. He puts up 40-50 points on a yearly basis, being one of the best defensive forwards in the game.

With Letang, if he can't become more consistent in his game over the next 2-3 years, a 3.5 million cap hit is going to be overpayment, which this team cannot afford to do. If he's getting paid like a top 4 defenseman, he needs to start playing with the consistency of a top 4 defenseman

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 09:18 PM
  #12
Dan Barr
Registered User
 
Dan Barr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 2,667
vCash: 500
You guys don't think they'll try to have Letang's next contract expire while he's still an RFA?

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 09:25 PM
  #13
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
You guys don't think they'll try to have Letang's next contract expire while he's still an RFA?
I'd say so. But Shero is going to have to pay for that. I could see Letang taking a bit less money if this next contract he signs takes him to unrestricted free agency. Not so sure that Shero would like to play that game though, if in fact Letang hits his potential.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 11:29 PM
  #14
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,285
vCash: 500
I'm on the same page as Dan Barr and CW - provided that the cap drop (should it indeed drop), isn't too big.

Sarge has 17 points in 21 games. With the PP being pathetic. No Cup-chasing GM elects to drop that. So, give Sarge a two year deal with a discount (who is he going to sign with if not us?) and low-ball Letang with a two or three deal that keeps him RFA and promises a richer return when he is arbitration eligible - and Gonchar is off the payroll.

We cannot find the money to give Letang the same kind of long term contract with a 'future growth' bonus on it that the other core guys have gotten. If he absolutely wants it, we will come do deal him instead. Ultimately, we all know how few offer sheets are thrown around, and as he isn't Russian/European there isn't an obviously appealing option to get paid in full abroad. Who is really going to offer Letang a salary we cannot afford to pay and give out the picks that will have to go along? I'm not sure we have that much to be scared of here.

On something completely different, if Zbynek Michalek was interested in joining the Pens as an UFA, I would gladly give him a ways more than Letang as an UFA and deal Letang for the best available return. Considering that Michalek isn't a big point producer, is in a small market and haven't shown his stuff in the playoffs, I think he could be one of the gems of the next free agency. He already is one of the best defenders in the league.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 07:39 AM
  #15
pensown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 819
vCash: 500
Just trade Staal(4mil)+Letang(~3.5) for Brown (3.175) and Johnson(1.4).

Saving ~3 Million in cap.

pensown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:14 AM
  #16
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,399
vCash: 500
I love Gonch -he's been through a lot with this team... one of the few left from the dark years- but at his age he may be looking for one final, sweet deal and I really doubt we can afford to do that. If he's willing to work on the cheap then great but it's not realistic. The writing is on the wall: old guy or young guy?

The PP is no longer enough justification to make the argument for Gonch; he is not a magic PP elixir that makes it good automatically, as we've seen. And Gogo will be more than able to handle that job as time goes on. You have to look at the total picture and frankly over the next few years I'd rather have Letang out there as he's going to continue to improve and his physical play is important though often unnoticed. He's a guy that will get you 150+ hits and 100+ blocks every year as well as the offensive potential. Gonchar is likely to become less and less physical as he gets older (and slower unfortunately).

As for Kunitz I would keep him as long as we possibly can unless we can package him in a trade for a really good winger that plays two-way hockey / isn't afraid to knock people around a little bit.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:25 AM
  #17
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist
 
TravisUlrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,770
vCash: 500
After last season I thought that Letang was a lock for a $3.5+ contract but with his injury, inconsistent play, competition from Goligoski and competence shown by our AHL call-ups, his asking power has declined rapidly!

Someone mentioned $2.5M cap it over 12 years. Even though I don't like those long-term contracts I can see why they're tempting!

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:30 AM
  #18
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,025
vCash: 500
I was joking with the 15 year Letang comment (I guess not so obviously). I really have no idea what kind of deal he's looking at.

I'd love to keep Gonchar for 2 years at 4M or less but we'll see. I'd that price he's still a good value even if we need to reduce his minutes a bit. This deal could go either way as well, it will be interesting.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:51 AM
  #19
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
I love Gonch -he's been through a lot with this team... one of the few left from the dark years- but at his age he may be looking for one final, sweet deal and I really doubt we can afford to do that.
I don't recall what Sarge's previous contracts were at, but considering his scoring and long tenure with the Caps, I imagine he didn't play for peanuts at the end of that those contracts. Add the 25 million over the past 5 years, and he cannot reasonably be wanting for dough.
Beyond that, which teams that could be interesting to him next season actually has a need for an ageing number1 - and the means to price him away from Pittsburgh, unless it is a Russian no-tax team?

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:55 AM
  #20
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
I don't recall what Sarge's previous contracts were at, but considering his scoring and long tenure with the Caps, I imagine he didn't play for peanuts at the end of that those contracts. Add the 25 million over the past 5 years, and he cannot reasonably be wanting for dough.
Beyond that, which teams that could be interesting to him next season actually has a need for an ageing number1 - and the means to price him away from Pittsburgh, unless it is a Russian no-tax team?

I dunno but I can't see Sarge playing for less than $4M a year, and it wouldn't be right to ask him to do that besides given his contributions. If we're going to be shelling out that kind of money anyway, I'd rather give it to Letang but it's not an open and shut case obviously. Both bring different assets to the table.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:01 AM
  #21
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist
 
TravisUlrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
I'm on the same page as Dan Barr and CW - provided that the cap drop (should it indeed drop), isn't too big.

Sarge has 17 points in 21 games. With the PP being pathetic. No Cup-chasing GM elects to drop that. So, give Sarge a two year deal with a discount (who is he going to sign with if not us?) and low-ball Letang with a two or three deal that keeps him RFA and promises a richer return when he is arbitration eligible - and Gonchar is off the payroll.
I like this. I'm thinking Gogo and/or Letang still need more grooming for succession (or "Life after Gonchar"). A couple more years of Gonchar after this season should do it.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:21 AM
  #22
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
I don't recall what Sarge's previous contracts were at, but considering his scoring and long tenure with the Caps, I imagine he didn't play for peanuts at the end of that those contracts. Add the 25 million over the past 5 years, and he cannot reasonably be wanting for dough.
Beyond that, which teams that could be interesting to him next season actually has a need for an ageing number1 - and the means to price him away from Pittsburgh, unless it is a Russian no-tax team?
Gonchar's made close to 44M in the NHL before taxes.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:23 AM
  #23
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,174
vCash: 500
he lives in Florida doesn't he? that's good for tax?

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:40 AM
  #24
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,174
vCash: 500
Kunitz (3.75) Crosby(8.7)
Talbot(1.05) Malkin (8.7)
Dupuis(1.4) Staal (4.0) Kennedy (0.725)
Rupp(0.85) Adams(0.55) Godard (0.75)
13th forward(0.500) 30.975

Orpik(3.75) Gonchar(4.0)
Eaton(2.0) Letang(3.5)
Gogo(1.8) Lovejoy(0.8)
7th dman(0.5) 16.35

Fleury (5.0)
Back up (0.525) 5.525

assuming Tangradi fills in one of the top 6 spots that leaves us between 2-3 mill to spend on a winger. That would put us in the Fedex, Stempniak, Svatos, Torres and Higgins FA Bracket

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:59 AM
  #25
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Kunitz (3.75) Crosby(8.7)
Talbot(1.05) Malkin (8.7)
Dupuis(1.4) Staal (4.0) Kennedy (0.725)
Rupp(0.85) Adams(0.55) Godard (0.75)
13th forward(0.500) 30.975

Orpik(3.75) Gonchar(4.0)
Eaton(2.0) Letang(3.5)
Gogo(1.8) Lovejoy(0.8)
7th dman(0.5) 16.35

Fleury (5.0)
Back up (0.525) 5.525

assuming Tangradi fills in one of the top 6 spots that leaves us between 2-3 mill to spend on a winger. That would put us in the Fedex, Stempniak, Svatos, Torres and Higgins FA Bracket
And that's probably the best case scenario, actually.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.