HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Abdelkader on the 2nd line

Old
12-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Thundermare

vCash: 500
Justin Abdelkader on the 2nd line

Hello Wings fans, I was reading an article earlier this week and was surprised to see Justin Abdelkader would be playing on your second line and on the PowerPlay. I know there's a lot of missing players on your roster but I am surprised that he would be the guy used on that spot... rather than... lets say Helm

I loved his play during the playoff run last year and found him to be very hard working. Wanted to find out more about the kid and what people think of him as his long term potential.

So, what do you guys think of him and do you think he could play a larger roll on another team? (Read Mtl)

Just wondering what your thoughts are on Him

Thanks.

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:19 AM
detredWINgs

Helm isn't centering the 2nd line because the 3rd line of Draper - Helm - Eaves has been our best, most consistent line since being put together several weeks ago. Also, I think the Wings brass thinks Abdelakder has a better chance at being a goal scoring forward than Helm, but its still early to peg either player as they're still young, still developing.

As for Abdelkader alone, hes really getting an opportunity due to the vast amount of injuries we're having in addition to a slumping Pavel Datsyuk (which is the reason why Hank is playing with Datsyuk instead of centering the "second" line). Hes not in that spot because hes earned it. While hes looked good all season, and hasn't looked too out of place on the 2nd line, his offense hasn't been anything close to mind-blowing. He has, however, shown enough flashes of potential that suggest he could be a solid 2nd line center or winger in about 2-3 years.

Personally, I see Abdelkader as a player who will ultimately be in the same realm as Patrick Sharp or Mike Fisher, but he's not there yet. He has similar size, physicality, skating ability and defensive awareness to those guys, and enough hockey sense to ultimately be a 40-60 point 2nd liner with 150+ hits per year.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 10:23 AM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Abdelkader will at worse be a 3rd line checker and PKer. But he has shown hints of being a clutch goal scoring power forward in AHL and the NCAA. He has the potential to be the next Franzen, and the Red Wings have a knack for having players maximize their potential. But for now he is just our 3rd/4th line center.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 10:52 AM
benusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermare View Post
Hello Wings fans, I was reading an article earlier this week and was surprised to see Justin Abdelkader would be playing on your second line and on the PowerPlay. I know there's a lot of missing players on your roster but I am surprised that he would be the guy used on that spot... rather than... lets say Helm

I loved his play during the playoff run last year and found him to be very hard working. Wanted to find out more about the kid and what people think of him as his long term potential.

So, what do you guys think of him and do you think he could play a larger roll on another team? (Read Mtl)

Just wondering what your thoughts are on Him

Thanks.
Don't expect to ever see Abby leave Detroit imo. He was born in Michigan, played for MSU, and plays for his favorite team growing up (which also is an elite team in the league). Top all of that with him and Helm being the next Malts/Draper combo and potentially better, no way in hell, he would want to, and the wings wouldn't let him.(granted most of this is opinion under assumptions and old articles/board talk)

benusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:02 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I see Drew Miller and think that's what Abdelkader will be. A bit more hitting. A little more offense. He does an uncanny ability to get the puck to the net.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Though I think Gator skates better quite a bit better than him, especially now, I'd be happy if he became similar to Mike Grier. Good size, throws the body around, gets to the net and is defensively solid.

What I'm wondering is who eventually gets moved to wing. Datsyuk, Z and Flip will all be here for at least a couple more years. Meanwhile, Helm and Gator both deserve better than the fourth line. Assuming we don't just leave one on the fourth line, who gets moved to wing?

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote