HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Cogliano

Old
12-13-2009, 07:17 PM
OmegaTheory

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
i hope he gets packaged up for a impact player or for another young guy struggling...liked Patrik Berglund
It would be awesome if we could get Berglund.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 08:16 PM
hockeychild99

ANYONE would suffer having Ethan Moreau as a linemate game in and out...I feel sorry for him.

hockeychild99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 08:22 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless_abandon View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if he was. Him and Stajan and a 2nd for Cogs and Pouliot could probably be made at the deadline, but is that a deal we would want? I don't think so.
The last thing I want to do is start a fight, comparing players, and why x player is garbage, and y player is being underrated. But I gotta say, I'm fairly disappointed by the lack of respect some of you guys have for the players in Toronto.

Stajan is on pace for his second 50 plus point season. He's playing excellent alongside Kessel. And has is currently on a 15 game point streak, in which he's collected 16 points. Now, he's no first line center. He's definitely capable of playing as a full time 2nd line center. And depending on his wingers, he could be close to a ppg producer.

Ponikarovsky has scored 20 plus goals in his last 4 seasons (18 in 66 games in 07/08), and is a consistent plus player, very good defensively. He's big, 6'4 220lbs, and can play a very strong board game.

Nikolai Kulemin, young at 23 is a big, strong checking forward (for the moment anyway). Once his defensive game settles in, which it is, he is expected to be a very similar player to ponikarovsky, with a better shot, and a stronger skater.

Now, obviously I'm a fan of Cogliano. I would love to see a kid of his speed, and skill added to the Leafs. But that offer doesn't help Toronto. It would certainly be one sided, and have little chance of working well for the Leafs.

Also, Ponikarovsky and Stajan are UFA's at seasons end. There is a very good chance Ponikarovsky would be re signed. Stajan could possibly be available at the deadline.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 08:52 PM
reckless_abandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Also, Ponikarovsky and Stajan are UFA's at seasons end. There is a very good chance Ponikarovsky would be re signed. Stajan could possibly be available at the deadline.
I agree with many of the points you have made regarding Toronto's players and the lack of respect they are given. I need to know how that offer doesn't help Toronto. As you have stated, both players are UFAs, having less value than they potentially could. I don't see why Poni would want to resign in Toronto today, as Burke has made little progress in improving the team.

If this trade was made, the leafs would get Cogliano, a player who would not only be a gigantic PR boost being a hometown boy with probably the most positive Eastern coverage in the media on the Oilers.

Pouliot would be a throw in as a player who might do well in a new environment, can win faceoffs, kill penalties, and could easily be a Ron Wilson man. The 2nd would be thrown in as replacement for the lost potential of Cogliano, and Burke has a history of throwing away 2nd picks.

I really don't see how the Oilers would win that trade, seeing as with our short sighted management, both leafs would not be resigned during free agency as the Oilers chase the Whale, and Poni signs with the Rangers.

reckless_abandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless_abandon View Post
I agree with many of the points you have made regarding Toronto's players and the lack of respect they are given. I need to know how that offer doesn't help Toronto. As you have stated, both players are UFAs, having less value than they potentially could. I don't see why Poni would want to resign in Toronto today, as Burke has made little progress in improving the team.

If this trade was made, the leafs would get Cogliano, a player who would not only be a gigantic PR boost being a hometown boy with probably the most positive Eastern coverage in the media on the Oilers.

Pouliot would be a throw in as a player who might do well in a new environment, can win faceoffs, kill penalties, and could easily be a Ron Wilson man. The 2nd would be thrown in as replacement for the lost potential of Cogliano, and Burke has a history of throwing away 2nd picks.

I really don't see how the Oilers would win that trade, seeing as with our short sighted management, both leafs would not be resigned during free agency as the Oilers chase the Whale, and Poni signs with the Rangers.
I'd say Toronto should be able to sign at least one of the two, and both are easily better than Cogs right now. He may have some potential, but I don't think he'll ever be much (if any) better than either Toronto guy. I think he tops out as something like Stajan- a good second liner who can be a makeshift first liner with good linemates. Neither Leaf is exactly old either, so they could be a part of the team for a few years if re-signed. Pouliot is a dime a dozen player, and couldn't command a second rounder.

I'd agree that we should hold on to Cogs unless we were sure we could sign at least one of these guys, but there's really no reason for the leafs to do this unless they know both guys will walk.

Someone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 09:27 PM
alphahelix

Pouliot has a lot to offer in most facets of the game; he has show flashes of brilliance... I was really expecting him to break out under Quinn, and I would even throw out a bet that he will turn it around upon returning--- except that he has been out SO long, I'm worried about the kind of impact that absence will have had on him. (with our surplus of forwards he would probably have to take hold of the reins fairly early on to stick)

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 11:09 PM
alexo

If the Oilers are trading Cogliano, I would have to think it would be for a player with some size.

As far as holes I'd like filled, it would be a big centerman (preferably, although any forward position would be nice), a shutdown defenseman, and a punishing d-man. Preferably the d-men would have ability similar to Smid... solid in his own end, but not totally useless at moving the puck.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Philly85
Moody'

"Flashes of brilliance" and "Pouliot" do not belong in the same sentence, ever, under any circumstances.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 11:16 PM
reckless_abandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
"Flashes of brilliance" and "Pouliot" do not belong in the same sentence, ever, under any circumstances.
Really, because that surely describes his draft year. Or during the 04 stretch run. Or this pre-season. And I'm pretty sure there is this shiny tourny held during the off-season filled with legit NHLers that he dominates.

reckless_abandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Still the guy has shown flashes of being a good two way center.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 11:22 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Still the guy has shown flashes of being a good two way center.

It will be interesting to see where he fits in when he comes back

actaullt

when and if Comrie comes back as well

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Pouliot has a lot to offer in most facets of the game; he has show flashes of brilliance... I was really expecting him to break out under Quinn, and I would even throw out a bet that he will turn it around upon returning--- except that he has been out SO long, I'm worried about the kind of impact that absence will have had on him. (with our surplus of forwards he would probably have to take hold of the reins fairly early on to stick)
While that may be (for the record I'd say flashes of being a decent player, not brilliance), he's proven nothing so far and is already 24. He may end up being a decent bottom 6 guy, but guys like him aren't exactly uncommon.

Someone is offline   Reply With Quote