HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drury Has 2 Friggin Goals - ONE Goal in last 26 Games

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2009, 10:12 AM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
just for the sake of discussion, I think that Bruins fans voted with their wallet a few years ago, before the Thornton trade. I'm just a distant observer, but my understanding was that the fans caused seem real worry for the Bruins ownership. That they voiced their displeasure clearly to where it it the Bruins, right smack dab in the wallet.

MSG and the Rangers are merely a division in the Comcast stable.Voting with the wallet won't cause them to bat an eye.

Old
12-14-2009, 10:36 AM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
The funny thing about it, is that those 25 goals in his last year was his worst goal scoring season in his career(he never scored < 25)......and he did it having Drury or Gomez as his center for the first half and a rookie in the last. If Jagr would have had a center like Robert lang, he most likely would have hit over 30 and his contract triggers.

Considering he played his entire Ranger career at a 4.5 team cap hit while breaking team records, you'd think Slats would have gave him 2 year 6/year contract. Then when you consider what Slats gave Dreary, Gomez and Redden....it makes me want to puke.
His cap hit was so low because of the contract being a pre-lockout contract and Washington absorbing some of that contract. Don't act like he took a paycut to play here.

I also don't want to hear it about the center situation, there's no doubt that Drury today versus Drury two years ago was a different player, a top 6 player still. Gomez is a fringe first line center on some teams and was the best we had to work with, and the fact that Jagr is so unwilling or unable to adjust his game that we had to put Dubinsky on his line made ME want to puke. If he was supposed to be this elite guy that we definitely should've kept around, then he should've found a way to put up more than 25 goals.

Old
12-14-2009, 10:39 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Was just about to post something about Nylander. If only Sather had the balls to admit his own failures.
I think Drury and Nylander are completely different situations, you're talking about a very well liked guy and our captain in Drury. Nylander meant nothing to washington; never established himself there and didn't seem to be well liked by anyone.

Old
12-14-2009, 10:42 AM
RangerBlueJay*

But, they both took the money and ran.

Old
12-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
His cap hit was so low because of the contract being a pre-lockout contract and Washington absorbing some of that contract. Don't act like he took a paycut to play here.

I also don't want to hear it about the center situation, there's no doubt that Drury today versus Drury two years ago was a different player, a top 6 player still. Gomez is a fringe first line center on some teams and was the best we had to work with, and the fact that Jagr is so unwilling or unable to adjust his game that we had to put Dubinsky on his line made ME want to puke. If he was supposed to be this elite guy that we definitely should've kept around, then he should've found a way to put up more than 25 goals.
Good post. While I wouldve liked to have seen Jagr on last years team that was heavily devoid of talent, I dont really pine for the days of JJ anymore.

He caught lightning in a bottle with Nylander from 2005-2007. Renney let him have free reign, he was happy here, and it showed.

If you threw the traditionally moody Jagr into this cluster****, I think things could be potentially even uglier than they are now.

Old
12-14-2009, 10:50 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlueJay View Post
But, they both took the money and ran.
I was referring to how Washington pretty much iced Nylander in to waiving his NMC to play in the AHL. It won't happen here; and can't. It'd be horrible for this franchise.

Old
12-14-2009, 11:11 AM
RangerBlueJay*

Quote:
I was referring to how Washington pretty much iced Nylander in to waiving his NMC to play in the AHL. It won't happen here; and can't. It'd be horrible for this franchise.
I totally agree, you just can't do that, especially the player that's your Captain. We are the NYRangers after all, an Original 6 franchise that swallows a lot of pride sometimes. I should say choke on it, as the more fitting term.

Old
12-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I totally agree, you just can't do that, especially the player that's your Captain. We are the NYRangers after all, an Original 6 franchise that swallows a lot of pride sometimes. I should say choke on it, as the more fitting term.
And thats on Sather, so should the 'fail' tag, not Drury's head

Old
12-14-2009, 11:29 AM
RangerBlueJay*

I don't see Glenn Sather holding his stick, with 2 goals on the season.

Old
12-14-2009, 11:29 AM
czechmate25

Quote:

I'm not going to argue about it......congrats to you.....Jagr is no longer a Ranger and we now have Drury! Anyone who thinks a 5 time scoring champ should change his game just to play with an overpaid, washed up 3rd liner is off his rocker. Jagr won scoring titles with Jan Hrdina and Kip Miller as his linemates......he didn't need a "first line" center, but rather a center who understands the puck possesion, cycle game....not the dump and chase garbage that bums like Drury have to play.

I know why his cap hit was low.....how does that change the fact about what I said?

Old
12-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I still wouldnt call Chris Drury a failure. He works, competes, and he was hit with an unpenalized hit to the head that surely didn't help his producing once he got back. He didn't complain or make excuses.

And btw, besides Gaborik who is producing on this offensive juggernaut?

Old
12-14-2009, 11:35 AM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
THANK GOD. finally, someone not giving the player a pass for Sathers stupidity. With great money comes great responsibility. If you're gonna get paid, you'd damn well better perform to it.

EDIT:

Quote:
No one, but their contracts make it a little easier to take (save Dredden and Blowzitall). If Drury made about 3 mil less, i'd be perfectly happy with him.

Old
12-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
THANK GOD. finally, someone not giving the player a pass for Sathers stupidity. With great money comes great responsibility. If you're gonna get paid, you'd damn well better perform to it.

EDIT:

No one, but their contracts make it a little easier to take (save Dredden and Blowzitall). If Drury made about 3 mil less, i'd be perfectly happy with him.
Money money money money money money money money money.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$.

Old
12-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Shake and Bake

Buy out makes sense.

Chimp said it best.

Would you rather pay 4 million for nothing or 7 million for nothing?

Slowly, the Drury supporters are going away. Trxjw, are you still out there? I would like to know your thoughts. Just conversation...(not calling you out).

Old
12-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks3rdLineCenter View Post
Thank you for such a good laugh. Too bad I opened this in front of my devil fan friends, we all got such a good laugh from this list. They wanna know how our GM still has a job, I can't give them an answer. Thier point was well taken too, how could this happen here with this team (one of the most popular in the NHL) and no one be calling out someone? How is Glen Sather not being grilled by the New York media for answering to some of these contracts? The fact Drury makes a bit less than Alexander Ovechkin is friggin ugly UGLY.

They also said Kots has a full NMC this year, so he won't be dealt. Take him off the tank list guys cause he's stayin.

Old
12-14-2009, 12:36 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
Buy out makes sense.

Chimp said it best.

Slowly, the Drury supporters are going away. Trxjw, are you still out there? I would like to know your thoughts. Just conversation...(not calling you out).
Buyout makes NO sense. Id rather have 7@2 years then 4@4. Unfortunately, thanks to the full NMC, we've got to swallow this one.

Old
12-14-2009, 12:38 PM
RangerBlueJay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I still wouldnt call Chris Drury a failure. He works, competes, and he was hit with an unpenalized hit to the head that surely didn't help his producing once he got back. He didn't complain or make excuses.

Every NHL player works and competes... he wasn't producing jack before he got hurt either and the 5 games he missed, we just lost a few more faceoffs.

When one of the reporters has enough balls, to call him out on it during an interview, it will be more of the same ol same ol.

Old
12-14-2009, 12:39 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
They also said Kots has a full NMC this year, so he won't be dealt. Take him off the tank list guys cause he's stayin.
Link on this? I still havent seen reliable sources saying the details of his NMC, just that he has some sort of a NMC.

Old
12-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Zil

Quote:
Buyout makes NO sense. Id rather have 7@2 years then 4@4. Unfortunately, thanks to the full NMC, we've got to swallow this one.
This: It makes no sense to compound an error by making it hurt for even longer, especially when it's conceivable that we could bounce back and contend once the Drury and Rozsival contracts expire if our kids turn out well.

Old
12-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Thank you for such a good laugh. Too bad I opened this in front of my devil fan friends, we all got such a good laugh from this list. They wanna know how our GM still has a job, I can't give them an answer. Thier point was well taken too, how could this happen here with this team (one of the most popular in the NHL) and no one be calling out someone? How is Glen Sather not being grilled by the New York media for answering to some of these contracts? The fact Drury makes a bit less than Alexander Ovechkin is friggin ugly UGLY.

This is the real clincher here. If Sather had handed out these contracts as the GM of the Maple Leafs or the Canadiens he would be getting absolutely torched by the media.

The whole idea of the "ruthless New York sports media" apparently doesn't apply to hockey.

When Cashman or Minaya make a big decision they always face the media afterwards. Sather is hiding in a secret underground bunker waiting for nuclear winter.

Old
12-14-2009, 12:43 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
His buyout would only be 4 million for one of those years

CHRIS DRURY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $1,216,667
2011-2012: $4,216,667
2012-2013: $2,166,667
2013-2014: $2,166,667

Old
12-14-2009, 12:45 PM
RangerBlueJay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
This: It makes no sense to compound an error by making it hurt for even longer, especially when it's conceivable that we could bounce back and contend once the Drury and Rozsival contracts expire if our kids turn out well.
Sorry but, the poop needs to be cleaned out of the kennel now, because its stinking up the joint. The sooner the better is how I see it. Otherwise, everyone winds up walking around smelling like poop.

O wait..

Old
12-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
His buyout would only be 4 million for one of those years

CHRIS DRURY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $1,216,667
2011-2012: $4,216,667
2012-2013: $2,166,667
2013-2014: $2,166,667
What buyout?

Oh, you mean the one that would never ever happen? Ever.

Old
12-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Link on this? I still havent seen reliable sources saying the details of his NMC, just that he has some sort of a NMC.
I have no link this is what they said, I did a quick search and only see it was a 3 year deal. NHLPA.com doesn't show NMC or anything.

Old
12-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
Buy out makes sense.

Chimp said it best.

Yep. Again, I never said Drury was playing well offensively this season. I'm just really bored with this subject as nobody is willing to actually debate the facts. All I get is noise. It's "Contract, contract, contract!!" or "Points, points, points!" That's all been beaten to death and nobody wants to listen to logic. I point out that Drury lead the team in goal scoring the last two years, and people say: "But he sucks now! So he's always sucked as a Ranger!" That kind of garbage isn't worth responding to, and there's quite a bit of that in this thread, hence I tried to stay out of it.

I said I felt he was being misused by Tortorella by not incorporating him in Callahan's spot on the 1st unit of the PP. What does he do? Sticks him a the point. That's retarded. He's not a good enough puck handler to have that much responsibility.

The only time I defend Drury is when people make comments like: "He's always sucked!" or "He's been a bust since he came to NY!" Those kind of statements are just untrue. I've explained why countless times, and I'm so sick of explaining it, so I won't do it again.

The fact is, Drury doesn't suck unless you're only looking at his offensive production. He's been our best defensive forward this season. Do I like paying that guy $7MM per year? Of course not. Do I solely blame Sather for that fact? No. Drury's agent had a hand in setting the price, as did Drury, so they deserve a portion of the blame.

He is, and always has been, a complimentary forward. I don't care how much you pay the guy, that's just never going to change. He can't carry a line on his own. He can't create offense for himself. Tortorella is asking him to do both while taking away his bread and butter, which has always been hovering around the net on the PP.

You can call me what you want, but at least I can admit that he's been terrible offensively this season. I think a part of that is due to the way he's being used by Tortorella, as well as his concussion, but that doesn't excuse him given the amount of minutes he's playing. It doesn't seem like anyone on the other side of the fence is willing to admit that Drury has been one of our better forwards during his entire time in NY. He's overpaid, but that doesn't change the fact that he's still managed to match his career averages despite the fact he's been on some god awful teams. I'm not going to write the guy off as a has-been until he finishes out the season.

That's my take on it. Still, I'm not going to bother discussing Drury with people who can't formulate some sort of stance other than "OMG SAME POINTS AS BLAIR BETTS LOLZOLZOL!" Yeah, he has a horrible contract, but honestly, what is it preventing us from achieving? Signing free agents that don't even exist yet?

I don't advocate buying out any player. I wouldn't even buy out Rozsival. Dead cap space is a stupid, stupid move.

Closed Thread