HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Live Chat with Zipay @ 1pm

Old
12-14-2009, 12:43 PM
NikC

vCash: 500
Live Chat with Zipay @ 1pm

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...notes-1.811976

Another installment of Steve Zipay's live chat...

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 01:45 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

TK <-- me

I wish more/other bloggers and beat writers would do this. I think the FWC is awesome, though not as "weekly" as it used to be.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 01:58 PM
D713B

I actually sent in a couple of questions, it was a pretty cool experience.

Quote:
[Comment From Lisin2Me: ]
What moves, if any, is Glen Sather exploring to improve this team? If the downward trend continues would Sather be a seller at the trade deadline and move assets like Higgins, Prospal or Girardi?

They are looking for a No.1 center, a backup goalie with NHL experience, and a D-man. Scoring center, preferably. This is not to say they will get any of the above immediately, BTW
He sort of touched on my second question about Higgins and Girardi later when someone else posed this question but didn't really address my question.
Quote:
[Comment From JJ JJ: ]
Do you think the Rangers have any players teams are interested in trading for? I dont see it.

Sure, Dubi, Cally, Gaborik, Staal, Lundqvist. Haha. Think you mean: Are there players Rangers would be willing to part with...For right deal, I would think about Girardi and Higgins
Quote:
Has Del Zotto mentioned anything about making adjustments on the power play to compensate for teams focusing their penalty kill around him?

Torts has. He's asked the other players to drive the net and force the forwards to stop pressuring the points so DZ and Kotalik have lanes/time to shoot
I don't think he fully understood what I was asking here. I was asking more about the edgy part of Sean's game. As a whole, over the course of this season we haven't seen the Sean of old too often.
Quote:
Sean Avery hasn't looked quite like himself. Is the extra attention from the officials neutering his game?

Actually, i think he's played better recently, but is not a top six player, which we've said here for a couple years. Third line is right spot for him
Quote:
[Comment From Lisin2Me Lisin2Me: ]
Staal has looked uncomfortable at times playing Tortorella's system. Has he mentioned anything about his game transitioning from Renney to Torts?

Staal has said the transition has been tricky at times, and Torts has tried not to push so hard in making him an more offensive d-man
Quote:
Brian Leetch has returned to the MSG broadcast booth. Any chance we see him in a player development role in the near future?

Possibly. I believe, and have written, that Sather will eventually just keep his job as President, Mess will be GM, and Leetch will be in the fold somewhere.
Quote:
Any insight on the development of Artem Anisimov? What he's expects himself to improve upon and what the organization would like to see more of?

Still not as steady as I had hoped he would be, but improving. Would like to see him as No. 2 center with a gunner on the wing and maybe Grachev down the road. Not close to that this year tho.
I thought this question from another participant provided some insight into the state of the locker room:
Quote:
[Comment From CD CD: ]
I was just wondering what the mood in the locker room this year. I remember Avery saying last years team was a bit divided and not together as a team. Is this team more collectively together or like last year?

Right now, they are miserable and not confident. Why not? They're in a dreadful slump. But a few wins can change the mood. Again, they are six points out of sixth in the East.
He also touched on another heavily debated topic around here:
Quote:
[Comment From Eric Eric: ]
Steve, do you think Henriks extreme weakness on his glove side as of late is related to the pressure put on him from game-to-game to perform well due to a lack of scoring?

Hard to say on game to game basis, but not sure there's a link to high-glove goals. I do wish he was more agdressive in coming out to challenge, not styaing deep and on heels, and not drop down so rapidly leaving up top vulnerable

Last edited by D713B: 12-14-2009 at 02:04 PM.
D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:13 PM
TomLaidlaw

"Possibly. I believe, and have written, that Sather will eventually just keep his job as President, Mess will be GM, and Leetch will be in the fold somewhere."

Just put a bullet in my head

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:22 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
"Possibly. I believe, and have written, that Sather will eventually just keep his job as President, Mess will be GM, and Leetch will be in the fold somewhere."

Leetch will never work under Sather.

12-14-2009, 02:26 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Leetch will never work under Sather.
The Leetch part isn't what worries me. I'd actually like to see Leetch and Richter involved with the team in some capacity. Richter actually strikes me as a someone who has a good mind for front office work. Sather staying as President with Mess as Gm makes me want to vomit.

Old
12-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

...and this one will last a lifetime!

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:28 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
...and this one will last a lifetime!
I wonder if Messier's first move as GM will be to sign Nedved?

Old
12-14-2009, 02:31 PM
NikC

Quote:

why do you feel Mess will be a poor GM?

Old
12-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
I honestly dont know what kind of job hes going to do, and thats kind of why Im against it.

All I know if he had zero executive experience and now hes learning from Glen Sather. Not exactly a promising mix.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Mugless

I love Mess, by why would he be more qualified to take over as GM instead of Gordie Clark or Schoenfeld?

Mugless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:44 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugless View Post
I love Mess, by why would he be more qualified to take over as GM instead of Gordie Clark or Schoenfeld?
because he fired Roger Neilson and coached the Rangers to a Stanley Cup?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:55 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
He is being mentored by Sather. That is the equivalent of someone wanting to be a Nuclear Physicist and being mentored by Paris Hilton.

Just because someone is a great player doesn't mean they are gonna be a great GM. You are telling me there aren't people more qualified than Mark Messier to be our next GM? The idea of Messier as our GM may pull on the fans hearts because they love Messier but that doesn't make him qualified to be our GM. If we absolutely must have a member of the 94' cup team as our next GM, since we don't ******* that team nearly enough as it is. Then at least let it be Richter. The guy is a Yale graduate with an economics degree, at the very least he should be able to manage the salary cap.

Old
12-14-2009, 02:56 PM
NikC

again this is entirely my gut reaction but i feel that Mess knows how to win in NY on a more immediate level. A player's level. Sather looks to the stars, literally, whereas Mess may know the "type" of overall
makeup a NYR team needs to win.

I don't think Mess would throw money at a player like a Redden. i think he would want proven talent on this team regardless of the position.
All i know is, I want Sather gone ASAP.

Old
12-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
The Leetch part isn't what worries me. I'd actually like to see Leetch and Richter involved with the team in some capacity. Richter actually strikes me as a someone who has a good mind for front office work. Sather staying as President with Mess as Gm makes me want to vomit.
Me fellow Lake Placid native scares me there. Smart man yes, but he's so involved in politics I wonder if he can seperate the two? I would have to see his interviews turn to his liberal views!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:20 PM
NikC

Quote:
He is being mentored by Sather. That is the equivalent of someone wanting to be a Nuclear Physicist and being mentored by Paris Hilton.

Just because someone is a great player doesn't mean they are gonna be a great GM. You are telling me there aren't people more qualified than Mark Messier to be our next GM? The idea of Messier as our GM may pull on the fans hearts because they love Messier but that doesn't make him qualified to be our GM. If we absolutely must have a member of the 94' cup team as our next GM, since we don't ******* that team nearly enough as it is. Then at least let it be Richter. The guy is a Yale graduate with an economics degree, at the very least he should be able to manage the salary cap.

I think Messier, is very much his own person. I don't believe Sather wields that much influence that he'll be a carbon copy of him. that's a little silly. he may learn the business side of things from Sather, but i'm sure he'll make his own decisions.

My only feeling is that Mess knows what it takes to win in NYC on an "ice level". Mess was THE greatest captain in all of pro sports during his career. I don't think that is anything to scoff at.

Old
12-14-2009, 03:37 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If anyone doesn't believe that Messier wasn't largely involved in the managerial decisions of the Rangers during his time here, you're crazy.

Old
12-14-2009, 03:54 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
If anyone doesn't believe that Messier wasn't largely involved in the managerial decisions of the Rangers during his time here, you're crazy.
+1

Old
12-14-2009, 03:56 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Sure, but that still doesn't make him qualified. Having the GM of the team consult you on bringing in/shipping out player X is different than assuming all the duties of a GM.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:59 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Sure, but that still doesn't make him qualified. Having the GM of the team consult you on bringing in/shipping out player X is different than assuming all the duties of a GM.
Still proves that he has an ability to evaluate the talent of hockey players. Something that a GM must have in order to do well. I'm not saying he should take over today, but I believe that for Messier, GM would be something he'd be most suited for. He's a true winner, someone who will do whatever it takes to win. We've seen from his time as a player that he's not afraid to fire a coach if needed.

The one thing that I don't know is how he would be with drafting and development of young players. Sometimes doing what ever it takes can be dangerous.