HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Nylander Rejoins Griffins

Old
12-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Filppula
Jurks

vCash: 500
Nylander Rejoins Griffins

Yeah we've got a GR thread but I think this deserves it's own.

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index....ylander_r.html

Quote:
Michael Nylander is returning to the Grand Rapids Griffins.

The 37-year-old NHL veteran is expected to suit up for the Griffins’ game at Peoria on Tuesday night after clearing waivers over the weekend.

The Washington Capitals, who still retain his rights, assigned Nylander to the Griffins in late October for a two-week conditioning stint, and the center had one goal, five assists and a plus-1 rating in five games

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 09:07 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Re-entry waivers?

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:44 AM
Washington Capitals

He's been loaned to the Griffins. The basic ideas is that the Caps will continue to pay his $5.5 million salary, but Nylander won't count against the salary cap and it opens a spot on the 23-man roster.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 06:41 AM
aar000n

what happens if we decide to bring him up can we?

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Washington Capitals

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar000n View Post
what happens if we decide to bring him up can we?
I'm pretty sure you can't do that.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 08:40 AM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

I hope he can play for the Wings. Age is not on his side but will definitely bring the depth we need. Where would he fit? 4th line Center or put Datsyuk on the wing and put Nylander with him. I'm excited to see what happens, cause we need some help in offense.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:00 AM
jacK

he's not our property, so unless we trade for him or claim him on re-entry, he can't play for the Wings.

i don't know why he's loaned to GR instead of Hershey (either time), maybe Washington doesn't want him near their prospects, but his conditioning stint a few weeks ago here went well, so he's back for the rest of the year (barring trade/recall.)

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:03 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
I hope he can play for the Wings. Age is not on his side but will definitely bring the depth we need. Where would he fit? 4th line Center or put Datsyuk on the wing and put Nylander with him. I'm excited to see what happens, cause we need some help in offense.
He's not Wings property so they can't call him up. They would have to either trade for him or the Caps would have to call him up and have the Wings claim him on re-entry waivers. Then the Wings would be on the hook for half of his contract (2.something this year and next) and the Caps would eat the rest.

He could have filled the 2nd line center spot while Flip was out, if they had done this 6 weeks ago. Since they didn't and Flip is coming back soon, I don't imagine they would go for it now.

Maybe if they are still struggling after Flip and Williams come back they would consider it, but Flip is coming back in a week or two, then Williams is back a week or two after that, then Kronwall and Cleary are due back soon after that, then Franzen is back sometime too. The time to make a move has passed, from the look of it.

Old
12-14-2009, 10:06 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
i don't know why he's loaned to GR instead of Hershey (either time), maybe Washington doesn't want him near their prospects, but his conditioning stint a few weeks ago here went well, so he's back for the rest of the year (barring trade/recall.)
because they don't want him to take away ice-time from their prospects. that was the reason given. but to me it looks more like they want to piss off nyllet as much as possible. i think the whole nylander situation is awful and i hope i never see such a treatment to players in detroit.

and the griffins need help IMO. the team is not that good. and they lack some leadership it seems. nylander chose the griffins and i think it's because they always had some swedes the past years and because they are a good franchise. i think they have a good reputation.

the caps finally get rid of nyllet, the griffins get a player they need and nylander finally can play hockey again. all three parties win.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:12 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
because they don't want him to take away ice-time from their prospects. that was the reason given. but to me it looks more like they want to piss off nyllet as much as possible. i think the whole nylander situation is awful and i hope i never see such a treatment to players in detroit.

and the griffins need help IMO. the team is not that good. and they lack some leadership it seems. nylander chose the griffins and i think it's because they always had some swedes the past years and because they are a good franchise. i think they have a good reputation.

the caps finally get rid of nyllet, the griffins get a player they need and nylander finally can play hockey again. all three parties win.
If Z or Franzen decide they want to play out their contracts and are clearly out of gas by the end, the Wings will have to demote them like this. Probably not to someone else's farm team, but if the "handshake agreements" to retire when they are out of gas are not honored, those players will have to be clipped one way or another. It's one thing to have a guy like Maltby around chewing up 900k of cap room for nothing, but it's something else to have guys chewing up 4 or 5 or 6 mil in cap room for nothing.

Old
12-14-2009, 10:26 AM
stug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
If Z or Franzen decide they want to play out their contracts and are clearly out of gas by the end, the Wings will have to demote them like this. Probably not to someone else's farm team, but if the "handshake agreements" to retire when they are out of gas are not honored, those players will have to be clipped one way or another. It's one thing to have a guy like Maltby around chewing up 900k of cap room for nothing, but it's something else to have guys chewing up 4 or 5 or 6 mil in cap room for nothing.
Why?
They have contracts the teams should honor the contracts or dont pay them that much.

stug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:26 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
and you think there was such an agreement in nyllet's case?

he was signed 2 years ago to a 4y contract. wasn't it by the same GM who tries to get rid of him now?

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:34 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by stug View Post
Why?
They have contracts the teams should honor the contracts or dont pay them that much.
Sadly, the concepts of "honour" and "business" rarely go hand-in-hand.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The Caps don't necessarily believe that Nylander's skills have completely eroded, but he plays a cerebral east-west style that meshed extremely well with Jagr in Washington and New York, but which is antithetical to the system that Bruce Boudreau preached in Hershey en route to a Calder Cup before he was frocked to head coaching duties in Washington, and Bob Woods preached in Hershey en route to a Calder Cup before he was frocked to be Boudreau's assistant in Washington. The two teams deliberately play the same aggressive north-south system, and Nylander wasn't able to adapt to it.

The Caps have stockpiled a large number of first and second rounders in recent years, and there is a glut on the farm. On top of that, Hershey spends money on veteran AHL talent, which translates to a bit of a logjam in Hershey for roster spots. There are good Capitals prospects percolating in ECHL South Carolina because there isn't room in Hershey to give them enough minutes (Joe Finley, Trevor Bruess, Josh Godfrey, Braden Holtby). By contrast, Nylander had a productive time in Grand Rapids and meshed there.

That is presumably why this destination was high on the list if Nylander decided to go the AHL route, rather than the Elitserien, SM-Liiga or KHL. Could Nylander, in theory, take time away from a prospect? I suppose so, but Detroit and Grand Rapids management have a veto in either case, so presumably they both signed off on it as a move that would not pose a conflict.

As a Caps fan, I wish Nylander the best, but of course am glad for the roster and cap space. I have no doubt he will be a productive Griffin and a good mentor/tutor to Wings prospects there.

Last edited by Drake1588: 12-14-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo correction
Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:56 AM
txpd

1. The Capitals are honoring the contract. They are paying it. This gives Nylander a chance to play rather than not play.

2. Nylander was a good player for the style of hockey the Caps played before changing coaches. With Boudreau, Nylander's skill set goes against the grain of how the Caps play. Given a more normal situation Washington would have traded him to a team that could better use his skills. Because of the size of his contract and his NMC it was impossible to do that. It was easier to just scratch him.

3. The reason he is not in Hershey is because they play the same style as the Capitals which he is not a good fit and the Caps roster is full down thru the ECHL. Grand Rapids was Nylander's choice.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:34 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
This will only help GR...

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:37 AM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Is there any chance we can find a way to pay the cap on his contract if he goes on re-entry waivers? How much cap do we have to move/get rid of to fetch him?

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The chances that the Caps put him on re-entry waivers, especially now that he is completely off the cap are essentially nil. They need those cap dollars for next season, when RFAs Backstrom, Semin and Fleischmann all get new contracts. Those cap space dollars are going to be critical.

Old
12-14-2009, 12:49 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
and you think there was such an agreement in nyllet's case?

he was signed 2 years ago to a 4y contract. wasn't it by the same GM who tries to get rid of him now?
No I mean the Wings players are rumored to have made those agreements, to get off the cap in the last years of the deal when their salaries will be low but their cap hits will be high.

I don't think they would have discussed that with Nylander on a 2 or 3 year deal.

Old
12-14-2009, 12:51 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

It's pretty likely that Nylander will be a deadline deal for someone... and if someone on the Wings doesn't pick up the slack (read: Filppula, Valtteri), I could definitely see Holland making a pass at him.

Old
12-14-2009, 01:29 PM
HockeyinHD

I mention this over on Kukla's but I think if the Caps threw in a little something extra Malakhov style Detroit would probably take the Nylander contract off their hands.

I mean, Franzen's not coming back until mid February at the earliest, and with him on LTIR that effectively covers Nylander's cap hit until then.

And if the season keeps going on like it has, it's not out of the realm of possibility plenty of other forwards will be hurt by then, too.

Even if the team is totally healthy by mid-february and they have to make a roster move, I'd have to think that getting to play 2 months of NHL hockey in Detroit and having a pretty decent shot to be on the playoff (thinking positively) roster in April would be a more appealing prospect to Nylander than playing for GR while the Caps try and figure out if they have the guts to really embarass the guy by optioning him down to the ECHL and trying to force him to retire.

I think the larger issue should be whether Nylander can actually help the Wings or not. I haven't seen him play in quite a while so I have no real idea... but when Detroit is putting Justin Abdelkader on a second line and having a terrible time scoring any goals, I can't help but think it'd be tough for Nylander to be anything but an offensive improvement.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 01:32 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
I think the larger issue should be whether Nylander can actually help the Wings or not. I haven't seen him play in quite a while so I have no real idea... but when Detroit is putting Justin Abdelkader on a second line and having a terrible time scoring any goals, I can't help but think it'd be tough for Nylander to be anything but an offensive improvement.
He's still got the juice as far as playmaking goes, if his stint in GR was anything to go by. The only issue comes when Filppula becomes healthy...

Old
12-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack Llama View Post
It's pretty likely that Nylander will be a deadline deal for someone... and if someone on the Wings doesn't pick up the slack (read: Filppula, Valtteri), I could definitely see Holland making a pass at him.
Really? I'd say you could make a strong case that it's almost impossible that Nylander gets traded under that contract, with the extra year that carries a $4.875M cap hit. He's buried.

Old
12-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
I mention this over on Kukla's but I think if the Caps threw in a little something extra Malakhov style Detroit would probably take the Nylander contract off their hands.
The Caps no longer need help. He is off the cap. All they are doing is paying him, which they are prepared to do now. They're free. They aren't going to pick up any part of the cap, which is why he's buried in the first place. Too expensive in any contender's cap calculus.

Old
12-14-2009, 01:44 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Really? I'd say you could make a strong case that it's almost impossible that Nylander gets traded under that contract, with the extra year that carries a $4.875M cap hit. He's buried.
Well, it really depends on how desperate anyone is, to be quite honest.

For example, the Wings will have Lidstrom's salaray either totally gone or decently reduced next season. I'm not saying it WILL happen, just that given the proper circumstances, it most definitely could.