HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The Big Easy - ESPN Article on Tyler Myers

Old
12-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

vCash: 500
The Big Easy - ESPN Article on Tyler Myers

FTA:
Quote:
Scotty Bowman, whose six decades' worth of hockey knowledge would need several hard drives to store, is not easily impressed. But he was on this night by a 19-year-old kid named Tyler Myers.

"His stride," Bowman recalled to ESPN.com on Tuesday night. "He just came out of his own end and skated right by guys. I couldn't believe how fast he was. I haven't seen many guys in my time that big who was such a fluid skater. He gets up and down the ice so fast."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...rre&id=4727686

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:24 PM
aceface33

This article touts him as a Calder candidate...is that the case? Would he be in the top 3 at this point? Maybe with Tavares and Duchene...he is leading all rookies in assists right now.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:24 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

**Runs to Sabres store to buy Myers jersey**

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
The Big Easy... it's an unfortunate rarity in hockey these days for a player to have a nickname that isn't part of his name + y. This one's perfect.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:39 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
This article touts him as a Calder candidate...is that the case? Would he be in the top 3 at this point? Maybe with Tavares and Duchene...he is leading all rookies in assists right now.
On the main board he's usually discussed in or near the top 5 (JVR, Varlamov, Rask, Del Zotto, and Kane are also in the conversation).

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
More of a Calder darkhorse with the sort of season Tavares is having and the results for Colorado with Duchesne. But he should get some consideration.

Granted, he's no Calvin de Haan, but hey, who is?

12-14-2009, 02:53 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
and marveled at the 6-foot-8 rookie blueliner logging the puck up and down the ice for the Buffalo Sabres.
Logging the puck?

I'm down with "The Big Easy" - certainly could be worse. This kid is definitely the real deal, and it sure sounds like he's really got his head screwed on straight. When the media frenzy really picks up - say if we make the playoffs, or if he winds up getting serious Calder consideration - that should do him a lot of good.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:53 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
More of a Calder darkhorse with the sort of season Tavares is having and the results for Colorado with Duchesne. But he should get some consideration.

Granted, he's no Calvin de Haan, but hey, who is?
He just may be a top 4 defenseman in the league if he hits his potential.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:57 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Hey, we can only hope that, somehow, somewhere down the line, that Myers fulfills his potential of being an "above average defenseman" and can manage to hold down a regular top 4 roster position for the Sabres.

Someday...

God, that thread cracked me up so much.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Consider how the kid is on a 43 point pace, playing over 22-minutes per night at such a demanding position... and is a +8 despite having 42 give aways (most among rookies). It's impressive.

But it isn't likely as gaudy as Tavares' scoring totals or Duchene's for that matter. Solid darkhorse, but to win it, more pucks have to find the back of the opposition's net coming from his stick --- if they start to convert more on the powerplay, he's going to get a bump in his assist totals.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Logging the puck?

I'm down with "The Big Easy" - certainly could be worse. This kid is definitely the real deal, and it sure sounds like he's really got his head screwed on straight. When the media frenzy really picks up - say if we make the playoffs, or if he winds up getting serious Calder consideration - that should do him a lot of good.
You say potato, Pierre says potatoe, lug, log, lag, leg... let's call the hole thing off!

Old
12-14-2009, 03:01 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Consider how the kid is on a 43 point pace, playing over 22-minutes per night at such a demanding position... and is a +8 despite having 42 give aways (most among rookies). It's impressive.

But it isn't likely as gaudy as Tavares' scoring totals or Duchene's for that matter. Solid darkhorse, but to win it, more pucks have to find the back of the opposition's net coming from his stick --- if they start to convert more on the powerplay, he's going to get a bump in his assist totals.
I doubt he'll win it but I'd just be pumped to have a Sabre as a finalist for the Calder.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Hey, we can only hope that, somehow, somewhere down the line, that Myers fulfills his potential of being an "above average defenseman" and can manage to hold down a regular top 4 roster position for the Sabres.

Someday...

God, that thread cracked me up so much.
True, true. I see the percentages went from 75/25 to a 80/20 split in that poll. I'm happily in the minority.

Old
12-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I doubt he'll win it but I'd just be pumped to have a Sabre as a finalist for the Calder.
It looks like Del Zotto has hit a bit of a production wall after his early-season PP triumphs, 1-2-3 and -9 in his last 12 games. The game is about team success and it's obvious that the Rangers inability to finish has hurt his totals.

I'm also sure that Ruff will continue to ride the kid Campbell-style until he starts to hit the wall. He's pushing 24+ minutes a night now and hasn't been under 20 in a game since October 17th. He'll pass Hedman for ToI.

Suffice to say, he's akin to Campbell with the wheels to get the puck up ice and forecheck, but he's akin to Tallinder in his own zone. When he grows out of some of the turnovers he makes his overall defensive game will get that much better. And when he finishes filling out... he'll be able to pin just about anyone in the league. Maybe it's because the Sabres are winning, but I think this kid's better than Bouwmeester at the same age. I can't wait to see him fully fleshed out and with a few seasons of experience under his belt.

Old
12-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Dmen win the Calder every 6-7 years. Last one to win it was Jackman in 2003. The cycle favors Myers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calder_Memorial_Trophy

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Mergus merganser

Quote:
It looks like Del Zotto has hit a bit of a production wall after his early-season PP triumphs, 1-2-3 and -9 in his last 12 games. The game is about team success and it's obvious that the Rangers inability to finish has hurt his totals.

I'm also sure that Ruff will continue to ride the kid Campbell-style until he starts to hit the wall. He's pushing 24+ minutes a night now and hasn't been under 20 in a game since October 17th. He'll pass Hedman for ToI.

Suffice to say, he's akin to Campbell with the wheels to get the puck up ice and forecheck, but he's akin to Tallinder in his own zone. When he grows out of some of the turnovers he makes his overall defensive game will get that much better. And when he finishes filling out... he'll be able to pin just about anyone in the league. Maybe it's because the Sabres are winning, but I think this kid's better than Bouwmeester at the same age. I can't wait to see him fully fleshed out and with a few seasons of experience under his belt.
I think many people are finally accepting that Del Zotto is largely a product of Marian Gaborik. He is going to to be a very solid D man, I just feel Myers is the next level of player.

Also, there are a few polls out there on this subject.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...andidates.html

Myers #2 on their list.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._december2009/
Myers #4 on that list but I'm sure he will climb.

I don't think there is any doubt that JT will win though. He was a higher draft pick and is on pace for 35-40 goals. That will be enough to take home the hardware.

I could care less though. The sabres finally struck gold. Thank god we didn't end up with Teubert

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Fireguy

Quote:
Maybe it's because the Sabres are winning, but I think this kid's better than Bouwmeester at the same age
Well, I'm pretty sure that Myers has already exceeded Bouwmeester's point total for an entire 82 game season when he was the same age. Also, definitely not saying that Myers is at Bouwmeester's level yet, but at least statistics wise he's on par with or better than Bouwmeester this year.

Myers 30gp 3g 14a 17pts +8
Bouwmeester 32gp 2g 12a 14pts +11

Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:54 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

A couple weeks ago, several writers from TSN, ESPN, and THN revealed their 1/3 of the season awards winners. A plurality had Myers as their pick for the Calder winner. Seeing as these writers are the ones actually voting on the Calder, that's a very, very good sign.

Tavares doesn't really have outstanding numbers for a forward, considering the type of Calder winners we've been seeing as of late.

I think 10 goals, 45 points, +20, and 23:00 TOI gets Myers the Calder. And that stat-line doesn't really seem out of reach.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure that Myers has already exceeded Bouwmeester's point total for an entire 82 game season when he was the same age. Also, definitely not saying that Myers is at Bouwmeester's level yet, but at least statistics wise he's on par with or better than Bouwmeester this year.

Myers 30gp 3g 14a 17pts +8
Bouwmeester 32gp 2g 12a 14pts +11
Can you imagine if the Sabres were stronger in the JayBo sweepstakes.

A Myers-Jaybo pairing would be lethal and I would have loved to see JayBo tutor Myers.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 04:26 PM
mgeise

I really think it will come down to Tavares, Varlamov, and Myers. Tavares is the most valuable forward on the Islanders and Myers is the most valuable forward on the Sabres, and both have been the most impressive of the rookies statistically so far. Varlamov has gone 12-1-2 so far with a 2.21 GAA and .924 save percentage, so he has to be considered right up there as of now. Myers playing on a very good team should also help his chances; we are currently the top defensive team in the NHL according to goals against average.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 04:37 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
I really think it will come down to Tavares, Varlamov, and Myers. Tavares is the most valuable forward on the Islanders and Myers is the most valuable forward on the Sabres, and both have been the most impressive of the rookies statistically so far. Varlamov has gone 12-1-2 so far with a 2.21 GAA and .924 save percentage, so he has to be considered right up there as of now. Myers playing on a very good team should also help his chances; we are currently the top defensive team in the NHL according to goals against average.
Varlamov and Rask will both need to get upwards of 50-55 starts at the minimum to be considered for the Calder, and I don't see either getting there. At least, not getting there with the numbers they've put up so far.

It will be Tavares, Duchene, and Myers in the top 3. Tavares and Myers are the more likely winners, but really, the order is anyone's guess. There's a lot of puck left to play.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
I wonder if Myers is having second thoughts about not using his US citizenship? He'd be a strong candidate to play for Team USA at the Olympics. Good thing he went with Canada. He's really going to need the break.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Jame
Dream '16

If the Professional Hockey Writer's Association actually watched hockey, I would give Myers a 50-50 chance of winning the trophy. But Tavares stats will give him the trophy for sure.

Any group of voters who think Pavel Datsyuk is "the best defensive forward" in the game... TWICE... clearly don't watch enough hockey or simply look at the stat sheet and award the trophy. "He had 97 pts and was a +34...hmmm 4th in points, 3rd in plus minus... best defensive forward in hockey...."

I would love to see the votes... I wonder if Vanek got votes the year he led the league in +/-

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Sabreality

dont forget about Bergfors if he keeps up his hot play, kids got skills.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 05:22 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
If the Professional Hockey Writer's Association actually watched hockey, I would give Myers a 50-50 chance of winning the trophy. But Tavares stats will give him the trophy for sure.

Any group of voters who think Pavel Datsyuk is "the best defensive forward" in the game... TWICE... clearly don't watch enough hockey or simply look at the stat sheet and award the trophy.
Yeah but the Selke isn't (nowadays at least) for the best defensive forward. More accurately, its for "the best defensive forward who is still pretty damn good offensively".

But Myers has to see his numbers improve to really have a good shot...then again when Jackman won he was 3-16-19. Of course that was a weak year for rookies with the leading point getter only picking up 44 points.

And when Berard won it, he was second in points with 48, 2 points behind the leader Iginla.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote