HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shot Blocking Injuries

Old
12-09-2009, 06:09 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethefate View Post
During the beginning of summer league last season I ended up blocking a slapshot that broke my collarbone and then after the puck hit me it went back to the same defenseman who hit me in the throat with a wristshot after I was down on the ice. That put me out for quite a while unfortunately. Needless to say I no longer go down to block shots anymore

Sorry to laugh, but that's so unlucky!

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Should have just kept playing..no harm would have been done. Plus you wouldnt have look like a pansy for leaving the game because of a "bruise" (no offense)
Yeah I did the same as OP last summer at youth league, blocked point slap shot off Face-off, bugger hit my high ankle, dumped the puck into their zone, finished my shift, grimaced the rest of the game. Makes for good rep. Not icing it was a mistake however.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Hockeyfan68

Cripes some of you guys have had some ultra nasty injuries blocking shots. It kinda makes me feel good about being older and playing for fun now.

I've blocked a lot of shots in my lifetime but never really broke anything .... had some bruises and the normal expected stuff but never been hit in the throat or broken a foot or ankle.

I hope eveyone heals or has healed ... *cheers*

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
I went down on one knee to block a shot once, and got hit in the ribs with a slap-shot...Ended up breaking a rib. Not exactly fun. I've also been hit in the chest before and that was kind of scary. Just a bruise on my chest though.

Got hit on the inside of my knee, and couldn't put weight on my leg for 5-10 minutes. Just a stinger but it hurt like hell.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Steelhead16

I played Juniors with a guy back in late 70's. He charged a guy at the point to block his shot. The puck ramped up his stick. It angled up and hit him starting at the upper jaw and went up through most of his face breaking his jaw, cheek bone, orbital bone and he ended up losing his eye. It's been 30 years and I will never forget that sound. Like hitting a pumpkin with a baseball bat. I was about 12' away and still got splattered with blood. It was difficult to finish the game. He didn't play organized hockey anymore but he did play pick up a couple of years afterward.
Worst I ever had was slap shot to the chest in an adult league with no shoulder pads on. I couldn't breath for a lot longer than I thought I could ever hold my breath. I thought my heart stopped.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:55 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
I played Juniors with a guy back in late 70's. He charged a guy at the point to block his shot. The puck ramped up his stick. It angled up and hit him starting at the upper jaw and went up through most of his face breaking his jaw, cheek bone, orbital bone and he ended up losing his eye. It's been 30 years and I will never forget that sound. Like hitting a pumpkin with a baseball bat. I was about 12' away and still got splattered with blood. It was difficult to finish the game. He didn't play organized hockey anymore but he did play pick up a couple of years afterward.
Worst I ever had was slap shot to the chest in an adult league with no shoulder pads on. I couldn't breath for a lot longer than I thought I could ever hold my breath. I thought my heart stopped.
Cripes that was a terrible horrible accident that guy had. The only guy I know who lost an eye playing hockey lost it playing goal with one of those 1970s fiberglas masks that sat on the face with no foam padding. He got hit with a puck in the eye socket of the mask and the impact caused him to lose his eyesight in one eye. he played goal again afterwards but only in pickup games and shinny with loss of depth perception as he had one eye left. That takes guts and a love for the game.

That must be rough losing an eye ... I feel for the guy you typed about.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:00 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Should have just kept playing..no harm would have been done. Plus you wouldnt have look like a pansy for leaving the game because of a "bruise" (no offense)

Should have iced it the second you took the skate off.

Now your going to be having a nice lump for awhile and no hockey for a few days.
I'm in complete disagreement with this post. Why would the OP look like a pansy? If it were a serious injury he could do further damage by taking another shot off his foot or just by turning the ankle. I think most pro players would at least have it checked by a trainer in the dressing room before going back on the ice, and those guys are getting paid to play. The OP, if he's got a full time job to worry about, may be more concerned about missing work than manning up and playing through pain for the sake of his image.

As for the bag of ice it has no magical properties. Respect the role that swelling plays in your injury -- it tends to limit range of motion in a joint that really shoudn't be moving for fear of worsening the injury. Also, the circulating blood helps your body remove damaged tissue and bring in nutrients to help repair the injury. Excess swelling can be controlled by ice but there are reasons why you'd want to limit the time you ice an injury. Ten minutes per application seems to be the magic number. There's a good article here. For one thing you can cause frostbite to skin and tissue closest to the ice. Second, in trying to slow blood flow to the injured area you can actually draw more blood and more fluid the longer you leave the ice on.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Cripes that was a terrible horrible accident that guy had. The only guy I know who lost an eye playing hockey lost it playing goal with one of those 1970s fiberglas masks that sat on the face with no foam padding. He got hit with a puck in the eye socket of the mask and the impact caused him to lose his eyesight in one eye. he played goal again afterwards but only in pickup games and shinny with loss of depth perception as he had one eye left. That takes guts and a love for the game.

That must be rough losing an eye ... I feel for the guy you typed about.

Ryan Smyth's brother Kevin got hit in the eye with a shot back when he played in the IHL with Orlando. I believe the eye was reattached but he never regained any sight. He played for a few years after that. I saw him play his final season in 2001 in the ECHL and he was the best player on the ice in every game I saw. He had 24 pts in his final 18 games. It was very impressive.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 08:51 AM
pike51

Send a message via Yahoo to pike51
Apparently last night was block a shot and get hurt nuight for my team...

First we had a defenseman take a slapper off the side of the foot.

Next, my defense partnet took a shot off his upper wrist, just below his elbow pad and somehow above his glove (gave him a nasty, 3" gash. He took a few stitches).

Then, I took a shot off my lower facemask (thank goodness I still wear a full cage).

Last, our goalie took a shot to the chest and the puck stuck in the center of his chest. It looked like it embedded in his chest.

As a side note, I now wear plastic soccer shin guards as extra padding over the bottom 2 - 3 inches of my shin guards and they go down, over the laces of my skates (I pull my socks down over them). The extra protection has saved me a few times and I've had to replace them twice after shots that actually broke the plastic!!

pike51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:12 AM
The Leaf

I took a shot right to the collarbone and it hurt like hell for a couple of days

The Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I had an interesting one last night. A guy wound up at the point for a shot, and I got in the way of it while challenging him, I'm not sure if his shot rolled up my stick or caught me clean on the glove, but it hurt like hell. Bauer One75's too, not a cheap glove. Felt like it was flush across the knuckles...ouch.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
I currently have a bruise on my inner thigh that's almost as big as a helmet.

2-on-1, was playing the pass, guy without the puck ended up too far ahead of the play so I pushed over to the puck handler as quick as possible, took it right off the inner part of my leg.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

as a goalie, i was taking slap shots during practice from about teh top of the face off circle and this one kid has has a pretty hard shot, shot it high and wide over my stick side but i lifted my elbow up anyway to try and block it. i used to wear really small chest protector because those big bulky ones were, too big and bulky, so as i raided my arm the padding slipped off my elbow and the puck directly hit my elbow by the funny bone. probably the worst ive gotten hit with a puck as a goalie. i shouldnt have tried to stop it anyway

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

GOD that sounds painful. Stupid question, but do goalies wear elbow pads?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
GOD that sounds painful. Stupid question, but do goalies wear elbow pads?
nah its just one big chest protector piece which includes arm pads that go to your wrists and connect by your chest. the bad thing about that is that it can slide around sometimes, which is one happened to me

Old
12-15-2009, 01:28 PM
vivianmb

took one on the collarbone two weeks ago. (no shoulders...we don't hit).
it really hurt. i have a black bruise there, i know i didn't break the bone .
so i'm thinking of wearing shoulder pads again.
as for getting hit in the foot.
either leave the skate on and elevate it ,(which i like to do)
or take the skate off, elevate it , and ice it immediatly.
and CHEERS to the canadian medical system.
once in connecticut(i used to live there) i got 12 stitches on my ankle(skate cut).the cost . $1200.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:41 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
Sounds exactly like my post earlier in the thread. Slap shot ramped up the stick into the face. Luckily in my case my stick messed his shot up and I just got a stinger.

To know that if I was a tenth of a second slower this might have happened...

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:49 PM
densetsu

During warmups on the weekend, while I was stretching I was watching two of my teammates practice deflecting slapshots on the empty net, one on either side (big mistake). On a low shot, the first guy tipped the puck high and wide and it went straight into the second guy's face. Hit the bottom edge of his visor and went straight down off his chin.

No damage, but must have been a hell of a wakeup call. Could have easily been a puck to the eye. Visors aren't the ultimate solution, but on many occasions they do their job.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:52 AM
vivianmb

F#### got one on the inside ball of the foot tonight... this e guy played in the echl last year. (yes he has a "good " shot) my foot REALLY hurts. I LOVE HOCKEY.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
F#### got one on the inside ball of the foot tonight... this e guy played in the echl last year. (yes he has a "good " shot) my foot REALLY hurts. I LOVE HOCKEY.
yea there is a guy in my league who played in teh echl and was drafted in the nhl. its so funny cause when he winds up for a slap shot, every one jumps out of the way.

last week i dropped back on defense to cover for me defenseman and he was skating up teh ice, as he crossed the blueline i saw he was going to take a snap shot and use me as a screen. i couldnt get out of the way but luckily it didnt hit me. it also went in but atleast i didnt get hit haha

Old
12-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
I currently have a bruise on my inner thigh that's almost as big as a helmet.

2-on-1, was playing the pass, guy without the puck ended up too far ahead of the play so I pushed over to the puck handler as quick as possible, took it right off the inner part of my leg.
I have twice been hit on the inner thigh, and twice also ended up with enornous bruises. Once I was screening the goalie on a slap shot from the point that ended up hitting me above and inside the thigh pad of my pants - hit right on edge, and the only part that WASN'T bruised was the rectangle-shaped area where the puck actually hit me.

Second time was actually in an HF pickup game, was playing D and the other guy let go of a wrister as I was trying to get into his shooting lane. He ended up hitting me right on the inside of the thigh. That bruise was there for over a month before it was completely gone. (BTW, thanks Zylos!)

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote