HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Make 2 moves to fix the Blue Jackets

Old
12-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Fire Hitchcock but understand that doing so will not result in the playoffs. What it will do is get our youth development under control for a good season next year.

Filatov may return, Brassard will play with confidence (not fear) and it's possible a trade can be made for a veteran center who will be willing to play for Kevin Dineen...

Problem with Dineen-he is under contract with the Flyer AAA team who we would have to pay big time to get him.

The team has talent, they simply need a coach who plays them based on their abilty not the dreams of an old school coach.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Not going to list a specific move, but...

When I looked earlier today, the Jackets were 3 points out of a playoff spot, as well as 3 points from the basement of the conference. As pessemistic as I am about things turning around, it's not like it's impossible.

But for that to happen, the Jackets need to get a defensman. Not an elite one, but not waiver-wire trash either. Klesla's essentially out till the Olympics, Tyutin and Hejda aren't who they were last season, and Commodore is awful. A top 4 defensman would help immensely.

Unfortunately, one isn't going to come cheap though...

12-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Not going to list a specific move, but...

When I looked earlier today, the Jackets were 3 points out of a playoff spot, as well as 3 points from the basement of the conference. As pessemistic as I am about things turning around, it's not like it's impossible.

But for that to happen, the Jackets need to get a defensman. Not an elite one, but not waiver-wire trash either. Klesla's essentially out till the Olympics, Tyutin and Hejda aren't who they were last season, and Commodore is awful. A top 4 defensman would help immensely.

Unfortunately, one isn't going to come cheap though...
The Jackets need what you say but more-there is no single player solution for what I'm seeing. Even if Filatov was not run out of town he would not have helped much..

But I do think his flight made things clear in many players minds, as in, YOU could be next.

Old
12-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
I dunno, I think if we got rid of Hitchcock, trading Filatov would be kind of silly.
Agreed, I said that several weeks ago. We are the youngest team in the league with a head coach not known for playing kids... It's simple logic if you ask me.

Old
12-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
My two moves:

1. Fire Hitchcock and hire just about anyone else. The team's tuned him out. We have a young team and we need someone to help them along, not scold them and make them into drones.

2. Try and repair some of the mistakes on the roster. At this point, there's got to be someone available out there that we could flip Juice or Commodore for. They aren't cornerstones of this franchise and our D doesn't look much different whether Commodore or Roy is back there.

I don't think there's a center out there that could really help us, but we need another one.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Agreed, I said that several weeks ago. We are the youngest team in the league with a head coach not known for playing kids... It's simple logic if you ask me.
I don't get it Robert. If we're the youngest team in the league ... how can Hitch avoid playing young guys?

And, while we're at it. How the hell does Foote get booed and hated for "forcing" his way out of Columbus while Filatov becomes a Living Legend for forcing himself, not only out of Columbus, but out of the country?

Utter crap, I say.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Ar-too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
I don't get it Robert. If we're the youngest team in the league ... how can Hitch avoid playing young guys?

And, while we're at it. How the hell does Foote get booed and hated for "forcing" his way out of Columbus while Filatov becomes a Living Legend for forcing himself, not only out of Columbus, but out of the country?

Utter crap, I say.
How long had Foote been in the league when he pulled his stunt? And did his mom talk him into it?

Crap and apples indeed.

Old
12-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
How long had Foote been in the league when he pulled his stunt? And did his mom talk him into it?

Crap and apples indeed.
What?

Old
12-14-2009, 11:21 PM
skimp

Quote:
Because Filatov's cuter and we've bought into Corporate America's insistence upon a certain superficial standard of physical appearance as a basis for social acceptance?

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
Because Filatov's cuter and we've bought into Corporate America's insistence upon a certain superficial standard of physical appearance as a basis for social acceptance?
Ooohh~ Well, nevermind then.

Old
12-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Ar-too

Quote:
What?
The situations are not similar. Foote was a __-year veteran in the league who signed on to make big man money to be the big man on an up and coming team and when the going got tough, he forced his way out. He sucks.

Filatov is a kid whose mom wanted him playing big minutes for the big club or wanted him back home. Whether he should be mature enough to handle that situation on his own is up for discussion, whether he is mature enough, is not up for discussion; he isn't.

Old
12-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Stretch Factor

First I would decide if I want Hitch or Filatov, clearly one of the two has to go.

My vote would be Hitch goes.

Then I would trade some combination of Juice, Brassard, picks, prospects, and etc. for Souray or Kaberle and Jordan Staal or Jeff Carter. Those are just the names I've seen rumored available.

We need a #1 center and a top pairing d-man. Adding a bit of nastiness and leadership wouldn't hurt either.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
The situations are not similar. Foote was a __-year veteran in the league who signed on to make big man money to be the big man on an up and coming team and when the going got tough, he forced his way out. He sucks.

Filatov is a kid whose mom wanted him playing big minutes for the big club or wanted him back home. Whether he should be mature enough to handle that situation on his own is up for discussion, whether he is mature enough, is not up for discussion; he isn't.
Your rationalizations and apologia are certainly crap and apples.

I knew Filatov was young, R2 ... but I didn't realize he was still breast feeding. My bad.

Old
12-15-2009, 12:07 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
First I would decide if I want Hitch or Filatov, clearly one of the two has to go.

My vote would be Hitch goes.

Then I would trade some combination of Juice, Brassard, picks, prospects, and etc. for Souray or Kaberle and Jordan Staal or Jeff Carter. Those are just the names I've seen rumored available.

We need a #1 center and a top pairing d-man. Adding a bit of nastiness and leadership wouldn't hurt either.
Juice is not attractive to teams with his contract. No matter what posters keep saying, Kaberle is not a premier defensive defensemen; he is an aging puck moving defensemen. He doesn't shut people down, he gets the puck up ice quickly and is a good assist guy. I doubt Souray is going anywhere and I'm pretty sure Jeff Carter is an untouchable in Philly, unless Howson wants to send Nash back the other way.

I don't believe there are any magic fixes. The best case is to find a serious shut down guy- Pronger, Chara, Shea Weber, etc. and I doubt Howson can put together a package that brings one of those guys back. Look at what the Flyers gave up for 3 year old Pronger: Joffrey Lupul, their top defensive prospect Luca Sbisa, 2 first round picks and a 3rd round pick. How many would give up the equivalent: John Moore, Umberger, 2 first round picks and a 3rd round pick for Weber or Chara? The next thing would be some sort of experienced leader, but unlike Peca, one who can still play. I honestly can't think of anyone who might be available.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
I really don't see how you can't recognize the difference. One was the captain of a team in a playoff race and the other was a 19 year old prospect that would rather play at home than in the enforcer league.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
I really don't see how you can't recognize the difference. One was the captain of a team in a playoff race and the other was a 19 year old prospect that would rather play at home than in the enforcer league.
What I believe pluck is saying (and she'll correct me if I'm wrong) is that both situations boil down to a player quitting on his teammates. Foote ran off to snow capped peaks and Rocky Mountain views; Filatov ran off to his mommy's cooking and views of Chernobyl. Either way, neither appears to have put much effort into staying. Both put themselves above the team when they essentially said "Give me what I want (ice time/money) or I'm leaving."

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:46 AM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
What I believe pluck is saying (and she'll correct me if I'm wrong) is that both situations boil down to a player quitting on his teammates. Foote quite to run back to the Rocky Mountain views and Filatov ran off to his mommy's cooking and views of Chernobyl. Either way, neither appears to have put much effort into staying. Both put themselves above the team when they essentially said "Give me what I want (ice time/money) or I'm leaving."
Chernobyl is in the Ukraine, not Russia.

But, yeah. The difference is Foote is viewed as a traitor, and Filatov is viewed as a victim.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:30 AM
The Four Seven
Boone Jenner

1) Fire Hitch. Self-explanatory.

2) Trade any of Brassard/Juice/nearly anybody else*/picks for top-pairing D-man and Jordan Staal.

*My only untouchables are Nash, RJ, Voracek, Russell, and Mason.

The Four Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:18 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
And I strongly favor getting rid of Huselius.
How about Huselius for Nylander?

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:48 AM
Skraut

1) Fire Hitch
2) Bring Filatov Back, play him on the top line

This would have the following effects.

1) Have scoring go up an average of .2 points per game
2) Have scoring against go up by .5 points per game
3) Lose rest of games by a score of 8-3
4) Collect #1 draft pick
5) Have new #1 Draft pick be a bust
6) Collect new #1 draft pick
7) Have....

25) Have new #1 Draft pick be a bust
26) Collect new #1 Draft Pick
27) Have new #1 NOT be a bust.
28) Collect Stanley Cup!

See, problem solved in 2 simple steps.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 06:52 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

1. Fire Hitch.
2. Getting a good second goalkeeper.
3. Getting a good center.
4. Trade Commodore and Klesla for a good defensive defensman. We have offensive but they have "knitted" under Hitch. BTW. Our PP is more better with Stralman.

I would like to see here Moore but it is unrealistic.

KEEP FILATOV.

NOT KABERLE.

non-trade players:
Nash, Filatov, Umberger, Vermette, Voráček, Filatov, Moore, Goloubef, Russell, Mason

P.S. Filatov and pick for Kaberle is stupidity!!! Kaberle is overrated.

Last edited by mt-svk: 12-15-2009 at 07:00 AM.
mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 07:32 AM
JAL

I am a Hitch fan, but have become skeptical over the course of recent weeks as to whether he can take this team to the next step. Filatov, benching Russell (who has been his most consistent defender), refusing to hold veterans (Commodore, Hejda, Tyutin) accountable, overplaying Nash and constant line tinkering are worrisome.

I think if Hitch goes, Filatov returns. Too much talent in that kid to let get away. Huselius, Methot and Boll for a top defender and a pick or depth forward.

I'll have an article on the whole saga on The Hockey Writers later today.

JAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 07:42 AM
megashock5

Send a message via AIM to megashock5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktsfan View Post
1) Fire every coach we have and replace with Dineen and his selects (just as OP said)

2) Bring Filatov back (nobody will trade for him right now anyway)

I know my #2 sucks but I can't think of anything better to do (this is why I am not a coach)
Actually, I'm down with it. I say bring the kid back as long as we oust Hitch and hand the team to Dineen and Wright (or heck, Ron Francis).

megashock5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

My two moves:

1) Add a true #1 defenseman, and
2) Add a true #1 center.

Wow, that was easy, huh?

The Jackets could at least resolve one of these glaring needs by going after Phaneuf. If it means Filatov is part of the package going the other way, so be it.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 07:56 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Jf's Prescription

SIT TIGHT.

Why?

1. At this point in the season, we're going to give up TOO MUCH and not get enough in return to rescue us. We are not "1 Dman away" from the playoffs. We are not "1 head coach away" from the playoffs.

2. Accept the "youth" argument and develop our younger players the rest of the season. Also give some of the other guys a chance to improve/show their worth.

3. Ride the storm out with Mason and hire a new goalie coach. Mason is a large reason we are in the hole we're in, and he won't be a sophomore forever.

4. Maybe make a minor trade and adjust the coaching staff to shake things up a bit.

5. Hold on to Filatov. Watch how he develops in the KHL. Let him start yearning and earning his way back onto the team. If you want to trade him, wait for better choices during the off-season.

6. Darkest before the Dawn. We could pull this out in January. There is still a lot of parity in the league.

7. Trade Commodore at the trade deadline. He'll be worth a ton.

(Trade Juice and Russ? You got to be kidding.)

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote