HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Big Easy - ESPN Article on Tyler Myers

Old
12-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Selanne00008

vCash: 500
I know this is a long ways from now. And I know probly a majority of ppl aren't exactly fond of the long term contract. BUT, that being said, who could really be opposed to offering Myers something around the 10 year 40-50 mill in the last year of his rookie contract? (Assuming he makes the potential strides in the next two years)

Selanne00008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 11:59 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
I know this is a long ways from now. And I know probly a majority of ppl aren't exactly fond of the long term contract. BUT, that being said, who could really be opposed to offering Myers something around the 10 year 40-50 mill in the last year of his rookie contract? (Assuming he makes the potential strides in the next two years)
He will sign the biggest contract in Sabres history.

And if this keeps up, I'll be behind that 100%

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:13 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Yes.

Give him a normal 2nd contract (ending with RFA status), and then the huge extension. Keeps him in a Sabres uniform for 3 more years that way

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:20 AM
GrierIsGod123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
Yes.

Give him a normal 2nd contract (ending with RFA status), and then the huge extension. Keeps him in a Sabres uniform for 3 more years that way
It's a shame we have such a weak top 6 forward core. I say that because it'd be nice to capitalize on having Myers for cheap. It'd be nice to fill in some better pieces around Miller and Myers. Unfortunately we don't have much flexibility to change with the contracts that have been signed to some mediocre forwards.

This team could easily be a cup contender not only this year, but the next few if a few shrewd moves are made. I think if Darcy can relieve us of one or two of the longer contracts and get an impact player here somehow, someway. Having a #1 D-Man on a rookie contract is a great opportunity to make a run with that extra money that will eventually be allocated for his contract. I'd love to rid ourselves of Pominville and Connolly's (and Hecht's) contracts and get some better talent. This team would easily be a top team in the league with some sort of top line talent.

GrierIsGod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:32 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

My Myers thread on the main is one huge lovefest right now, from every corner of the league.

Been a long time since we had a player like that.

Old
12-15-2009, 12:34 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrierIsGod123 View Post
It's a shame we have such a weak top 6 forward core. I say that because it'd be nice to capitalize on having Myers for cheap. It'd be nice to fill in some better pieces around Miller and Myers. Unfortunately we don't have much flexibility to change with the contracts that have been signed to some mediocre forwards.

This team could easily be a cup contender not only this year, but the next few if a few shrewd moves are made. I think if Darcy can relieve us of one or two of the longer contracts and get an impact player here somehow, someway. Having a #1 D-Man on a rookie contract is a great opportunity to make a run with that extra money that will eventually be allocated for his contract. I'd love to rid ourselves of Pominville and Connolly's (and Hecht's) contracts and get some better talent. This team would easily be a top team in the league with some sort of top line talent.
This has been said before, and I have no qualms repeating it.

BUFFALO IS ALREADY A TOP TEAM IN THE LEAGUE AND A CUP CONTENDER

Could some moves be made to make us better? Sure, but let's not kid ourselves. This team is very, very good. And they win games by playing great team defense, which is better fit for the playoffs than a lot of flash.

Old
12-15-2009, 12:35 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Seriously, we must be the only top-6 team in the league whose fans consistently think we're WORSE than our record indicates.

Everyone always assumes they're better than their record. We think we're worse. It's bizarre.

Old
12-15-2009, 12:51 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
Seriously, we must be the only top-6 team in the league whose fans consistently think we're WORSE than our record indicates.

Everyone always assumes they're better than their record. We think we're worse. It's bizarre.
It's not bizarre - it's just uncommon. It also happens to be true, and I'm not one of the doom and gloom guys.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:04 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
It's not bizarre - it's just uncommon. It also happens to be true, and I'm not one of the doom and gloom guys.
I attribute it to our fanbase forgetting what defense-first hockey looks like over the past nine years.

Old
12-15-2009, 01:14 AM
dire wolf
be cool

I attribute it to the fact that Miller bails us out too often, which many of us think it too tenuous to last.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
I'm not worried about the Calder. I just want to see his talent come to fruition in 3-4 years with talk of being a possible Norris Trophy candidate.

Cirris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Mergus merganser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I attribute it to the fact that Miller bails us out too often, which many of us think it too tenuous to last.
Isn't miller on this team?

I guess Washington sucks because Ovechkin bails them out all too often.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:44 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
BUFFALO IS ALREADY A TOP TEAM IN THE LEAGUE AND A CUP CONTENDER
I don't see us as a contender. Top five in the East? Sure. But a legit contender? Our anemic offense and powerplay need a boost before I'd be comfortable with that statement. Sure, anything can happen in the playoffs, and we could ride a hot goalie on a deep run. But we certainly wouldn't be the favorite, I don't think.

But I do think we're only one or two pieces away - and that's pretty damn close. We just don't have the top-end offensive talent, and we're lacking some depth, at forward and on D. That's part of where my frustration with Darcy's inaction comes from - we're only going to get so many years of Miller. He's just hitting his prime, and with a couple good moves, we could have a legit shot at the big shiny now.

But this is all OT, and I don't want to derail a thread about Myers. The kid's phenomenal, and if he continues to progress, I don't see the Calder being out of reach, and the Norris in the next year or two is a distinct possibility. Has anyone ever won the Norris their 2nd or 3rd year in the league?

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:46 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
I don't see us as a contender. Top five in the East? Sure. But a legit contender? Our anemic offense and powerplay need a boost before I'd be comfortable with that statement. Sure, anything can happen in the playoffs, and we could ride a hot goalie on a deep run. But we certainly wouldn't be the favorite, I don't think.
Is the "favorite" the only one who can be considered a "cup contender"? I think the top 4 (conference wise) can be considered contenders and the other 4 depends on how hot they are at the time.

You don't necessarily need a high powered offense to be a contender. Just need some guys who can step it up when it's time. Vanek has the capability. Connolly has shown the capability as well as Roy and Pominville. It's Mac, Stafford, Kennedy we should be worried about.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:00 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Is the "favorite" the only one who can be considered a "cup contender"? I think the top 4 (conference wise) can be considered contenders and the other 4 depends on how hot they are at the time.
It's certainly a somewhat vague distinction - and anything can happen in the playoffs. If I had to pick "contenders", I'd pick NJD, PIT, and maybe WAS in the east, and SJS and CHI in the West.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
You don't necessarily need a high powered offense to be a contender. Just need some guys who can step it up when it's time. Vanek has the capability. Connolly has shown the capability as well as Roy and Pominville. It's Mac, Stafford, Kennedy we should be worried about.
I'm a lot more worried about Vanek, Roy, Pominville, and Connolly than I am about Mac, Stafford, and Kennedy. I think the kids will be fine - Mac and Staff have shown some more consistency and maturity this year, and Kennedy has been Kennedy pretty much the whole season. Connolly on the other hand is already broken down, and we're only 1/3rd of the way through the season. A hard-hitting round in the playoffs and he's done for. And the rest of the big four aren't exactly known for stepping up their game when it matters. We really just don't know what to expect from these guys in the post season, because this will be their first time their in the their current roles, with maybe Poms as the exception. It really could go either way. They could be guys who step it up and are clutch in the big moments, or they could wither under the pressure.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:15 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

When Myers is an RFA in the summer of 2012 the contracts for Connolly and Hecht will be off the books.

Who knows what the pay structure of the defense will look like as every dman currently on the roster will see their current contract expire prior to 2012.

Given that Myers is likely viewed as a "Core Guy", I doubt that major cap driven moves will need to happen to lock up Tyler long term.

Anyone who fears that seems to have forgotten the extensions given to Roy, Pominville, Miller, Hecht, Gaustad, etc.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Let's swing this back around to Myers, thanks.

12-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
What he said

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Third and beyond final warning.

The rest of you can go find the new thread your posts have been moved to.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote