HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks @ Coyotes (12/12/09)

Old
12-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteSunDevil View Post
Anyone tired of seeing these OT losses? Dallas is sitting in the final spot, with 10 OT losses! Truth be told they are 14-18 and ONLY 2 POINTS behind us. Utterly ridiculous.
There's a lot of discussion on this point over on the main board, but I don't see it as a "loser point" as much as a "tie point." Looked at in that vein, it's not any different than the NHL of the days of yore. Dallas fans could be arguing right now that the Coyotes have three more losses than they do, and yet they're ahead of us in the standings.

I will acknowledge that with the scoring being so low, it has made it difficult for even the best teams to open up any ground. That's precisely what the NHL wants, so it's not going to change.

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:49 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I despise the pitty point. Really, I hate the point system all together. There should simply be wins and losses. No ties, no points, no nonsense. You win or you lose. That's it.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 04:36 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
First two periods the Sharks couldn't deal with our defensive scheme and had little in terms of sustained pressure and good scoring chances. Bryzgalov was there to make the save when they did manage to find a shooting lane.
This is actually something that gives me some faith that the Coyotes are not going to go into a free fall like they did after the all star break last season. Sure, Tippett is a good coach and probably wouldn't let that happen. What really gives me that extra faith though is that the Coyotes can play a sloppy game like they did against the Sharks and still stay in the system, get a goal or two, and they will stay in games. If they can stay around .500 instead of going on prolonged losing streaks that can be the difference between dropping a couple of spots and falling all the way to the bottom of the standings. If they can avoid a funk altogether, who knows how well they can do in the standings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Polakis View Post
In the first two periods, we did a great job shutting down the Thornton line.
Just to be clear, I completely agree that Fiddler and Winnik do a great job of quietly slowing down other teams top lines. I totally understand why Tippett likes to use them as the top checking unit. I just selfishly miss the entertainment of seeing Hanzal get into Thornton's head.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
The hit by Pyatt on Clowe in the last seconds was clean. He just went into the board at a bad angle.
I'm pretty sure that was Boyle but I agree that was not Pyatt's fault. I still don't know what the hell Boyle was even trying to do there. Pyatt was just kind cruising towards the puck with only a few seconds left and Boyle cuts him off to get the puck with essentially no time on the clock and subsequently hits the boards awkwardly.

Quote:
I would love it if we could half-fill the building, but I'm going with 6000 as my estimate. Obviously, this is not worth fellow fans fighting about, but I can't help it: I'm a career engineer who spends way too much time doing analysis work. When I see a systematic bias, I can't just let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyregretzky View Post
It was 10,650 according to NHL.com

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 04:49 PM
coyotesfan

Quote:
I have the highest respect for your contributions on these boards, but I'll go ahead and make my estimates, which are at odds with yours. I'll need to take pictures at the next game to illustrate. My view is from most of the way up in Section 201.

Upstairs from net to net (I was in one of the fullest of those sections) 75% full, ends in Coyotes two-attack (205-211) 25% full (half of each of these sections were less than 5% full), Sandstorm sections 50% full.

Ends 104-108, 25% full would be generous.

Then there are the remaining sections that you acknowledge were light.

I would love it if we could half-fill the building, but I'm going with 6000 as my estimate. Obviously, this is not worth fellow fans fighting about, but I can't help it: I'm a career engineer who spends way too much time doing analysis work. When I see a systematic bias, I can't just let it go.
I dont know what game you were at but the announced attendance was pretty close. Not sure the exact number but it was about 10,000 so your saying there was about 4,000 no shows?I agree with RR there was at least 9,000 and that is more than 50% full.

I mean there was actually people sitting all around us

coyotesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 06:57 PM
HockeyHillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotesfan View Post
I dont know what game you were at but the announced attendance was pretty close. Not sure the exact number but it was about 10,000 so your saying there was about 4,000 no shows?I agree with RR there was at least 9,000 and that is more than 50% full.

Yep, I had people in my row & in the row behind me. That's the 3rd time this season & I've missed 3 games; Bluejackets, Habs & Stars over thanksgiving.

HockeyHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotesfan View Post

For clarification, I was at the Sharks/Coyotes game on Saturday, December 12. Yes, I'm saying there were 4000 less people than the announced attendance. They can announce whatever they want to, but I can also look an arena, and estimate percentage of capacity by section. Way back in the day in the late 90's at AWA, there always seemed to be a sensible match between actual and announced attendance figures. Rather than carry on about it anecdotally anymore, next game I'll just take a set of pictures by section, and let this forum estimate how full the place is.

I have been to eight of the first 17 home games (that computes as less than 50% ), and what has struck me -- other than the opener -- has been the consistency in the number of people showing up to the Saturday night games. I haven't noticed any significant increase or decline since home game #2. This team is fun to watch at last, and tickets are dirt cheap; people should be showing up!

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
For clarification, I was at the Sharks/Coyotes game on Saturday, December 12. Yes, I'm saying there were 4000 less people than the announced attendance. They can announce whatever they want to, but I can also look an arena, and estimate percentage of capacity by section. Way back in the day in the late 90's at AWA, there always seemed to be a sensible match between actual and announced attendance figures. Rather than carry on about it anecdotally anymore, next game I'll just take a set of pictures by section, and let this forum estimate how full the place is.

I have been to eight of the first 17 home games (that computes as less than 50% ), and what has struck me -- other than the opener -- has been the consistency in the number of people showing up to the Saturday night games. I haven't noticed any significant increase or decline since home game #2. This team is fun to watch at last, and tickets are dirt cheap; people should be showing up!
No need for the pictures.

1. All of us know the team is going to be damaged in attendance with the bankruptcy and that paid attendance is not the same as actual attendance.
The team lost 3000 STH and we have some idea of what attendance would be like now if no bankruptcy happen.
Making the playoffs is going to be key to repairing the damage if can be fixed.

2. The anti-phoenix crowd will look to take a dump on us here and let's keep them taking a dump in their own toilets as another member did say here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
Damn. I wrote a book and I'm not even drunk.
Drunk or not you write stuff that is worth reading. I'm not as in-depth about hockey as I once was in the past and its not by choice either.
Still stuff like this does help with making a good conversation peace outside the internet and so fourth.
Thank you for be a good contributor!
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
For clarification, I was at the Sharks/Coyotes game on Saturday, December 12. Yes, I'm saying there were 4000 less people than the announced attendance. They can announce whatever they want to, but I can also look an arena, and estimate percentage of capacity by section.
So was I and I'm saying there was easily more than 6000 people there. They can announce what they want, you can estimate all you want and so can I but really, what is the point?

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 09:28 PM
knich

Unfortunately, many people have already used their discretionary income, if they had any, on other sports franchises or things not expecting the Yotes to either be here or be any good. So..you are not suddenly going to have a huge bump in attendance when there is no money..no matter how much they'd like to attend. If the team makes the playoffs, people will find money to attend. But it is not likely to improve significantly before then no matter what our record is. Avalanche, despite their great start, is a good example of this.

knich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 09:34 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Drunk or not you write stuff that is worth reading. I'm not as in-depth about hockey as I once was in the past and its not by choice either.
Still stuff like this does help with making a good conversation peace outside the internet and so fourth.
Thank you for be a good contributor!
Thanks. I'm glad it ends up being more than a wordy nuisance for someone.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 10:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich View Post
Unfortunately, many people have already used their discretionary income, if they had any, on other sports franchises or things not expecting the Yotes to either be here or be any good. So..you are not suddenly going to have a huge bump in attendance when there is no money..no matter how much they'd like to attend. If the team makes the playoffs, people will find money to attend. But it is not likely to improve significantly before then no matter what our record is. Avalanche, despite their great start, is a good example of this.
I'll be going to a lot more games after the new year.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 04:42 PM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

Just a quick note on the attendance on Saturday. I had company tickets in 102 and when I scanned the crowd, I noticed (like RR) that the second level seats between the goals was very full. Tickets for 102 are $80 and for 202 are only $30. I don't think the $50 difference is really worth it and it seems like a lot of people agree.

So unless there were company holiday parties or something like that filling in all those upper level seats, I would suggest that the $30 ticket is really the sweet spot for ticket buyers. Maybe $30 is too little and/or $80 is too much, but fans are going to try to get the best value they can. Perhaps next year, the pricing scheme will change with the lower level seats a little less expensive to entice more people to buy the lower level seats (and make the crowd shots on tv look better).

krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 08:51 AM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

Update on Boyle

I was pleased to read this. Not just that Boyle took responsibility, but that his teammates didn't start a fight. One of my pet peeves is when guys start fights after a good, clean hit or, in this case, no hit at all.

Quote:
San Jose Sharks' Dan Boyle takes rap for hit that caused his injury
By David Pollak

Dan Boyle hopes four days between games will give his latest injury enough time to heal before the Sharks play again Thursday night.

But if that doesn't happen, Boyle said Monday, he has only himself — not Phoenix Coyotes forward Taylor Pyatt — to blame for the bang-bang collision that left him writhing on the ice in pain in the final seconds of San Jose's 2-1 loss Saturday night at Jobing.com Arena.

"It was my own fault," the Sharks defenseman said. "There were just a couple seconds left and out of frustration I kind of tried to counter-hit him and I put myself in a bad position. I pretty much did it to myself and it was a stupid play on my part."
http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_13997755

Last edited by PhoPhan: 12-15-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: fair use, link
krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote