HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Has Halak requested a trade?

Old
12-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
When it comes to goalies, different rules apply in my brain. This is not a Sergei Kostitsyn incident, far from it.

Halak is a good goalie and feels ready to be an NHL starter. He wants to go somewhere where he has a chance. Anyone with half a brain knows that barring catastrophic injury, that will never happen in Montreal.

So, he wants to be moved. Makes sense. He'll never become a starter in Montreal, and risks stunting his career (see Garon, Mathieu) by waiting too long behind a slightly more talented peer.

This is why the NHL should have an expansion draft every couple years Gives guys like Vukoun a chance.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:11 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
When it comes to goalies, different rules apply in my brain. This is not a Sergei Kostitsyn incident, far from it.

Halak is a good goalie and feels ready to be an NHL starter. He wants to go somewhere where he has a chance. Anyone with half a brain knows that barring catastrophic injury, that will never happen in Montreal.

So, he wants to be moved. Makes sense. He'll never become a starter in Montreal, and risks stunting his career (see Garon, Mathieu) by waiting too long behind a slightly more talented peer.

This is why the NHL should have an expansion draft every couple years Gives guys like Vukoun a chance.
I have alot of respect for Halak for this.
he's never been the center of attention.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
this quote scares me...

''Let's be realistic,'' Gainey told the website. "I received a second round pick from the Washington Capitals for Cristobal Huet and the Flyers gave up a second round pick from Buffalo for Martin Biron.''

it's like he's trying to prepare the fan base to accept a 2nd round pick for Halak.

That might very well be the most the market is willing to give up for a goalie like Halak, but he's obviously worth more to us, which would make it a negative return for us.

I really, REALLY hope Gainey finds a way to get more out of it than just a 2nd.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:12 PM
marvelousmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
Sergei Kostitsyn asked to be traded.
Halak asked to play more.

its not the same thing.
He may want to be traded
but not requested offically to be traded

thats a big difference for me
Take off your bi-polar glasses lol. I know Halak looks like a nice guy and Sergei looks like a punk, but it's the EXACT same scenario. Sergei clearly said that he wanted to play in the NHL and if the Habs have no plan to play him in the NHL, then trade him to another team. Halak is basically saying the same thing, he wants to play, if not with the Habs, then on another team. I don't see a big difference here, aside from the fact that one statement comes from a more silent and calm guy (Halak) and the other comes from a guy who made the headlines by being associated with a gangster not too long ago.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:13 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Maybe you should read the article before commenting..

Gainey is openly commenting about it in the media, so I'd assume he has something to do with it.
i did. He saying that he wants to play, either in montreal or somewhere else. Obviously he isnt playing here, so what else can he mean? For Gainey to tell Martin to play him? What OTHER solutions are there?

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I really don't see how we HAVE to accomodate him. I mean, we will actually get rid of a nice asset for nothing 'cause like Gainey said he had a 2nd round pick for Huet. And Sanford is not exactly stellar while I don't believe, despite being great right now that Desjardins is already backup material.

How about thinking what's good for the team? Everything should have been kept down low.

You can't fault a player to think that he could be more valuable elsewhere. But it can't be detrimental to the team and trading Halak for a 3rd and having Sanford us will not help us.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:16 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
this quote scares me...

''Let's be realistic,'' Gainey told the website. "I received a second round pick from the Washington Capitals for Cristobal Huet and the Flyers gave up a second round pick from Buffalo for Martin Biron.''

it's like he's trying to prepare the fan base to accept a 2nd round pick for Halak.

That might very well be the most the market is willing to give up for a goalie like Halak, but he's obviously worth more to us, which would make it a negative return for us.

I really, REALLY hope Gainey finds a way to get more out of it than just a 2nd.
My thoughts exactly. He should be saying Halak is the greatest things since sliced bread. i rather keep him and lose him for nothing in 2 yrs from now than trade him now for a 2nd round pick.

Old
12-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Well the only difference is the maturity of both players. CLEARLY, we are not talking about the same level here. Still, it goes back to players who think that they should be treated differently and deserve more than what they are been given. Seems that in both cases, they are right.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:17 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I really don't see how we HAVE to accomodate him. I mean, we will actually get rid of a nice asset for nothing 'cause like Gainey said he had a 2nd round pick for Huet. And Sanford is not exactly stellar while I don't believe, despite being great right now that Desjardins is already backup material.

How about thinking what's good for the team? Everything should have been kept down low.

You can't fault a player to think that he could be more valuable elsewhere. But it can't be detrimental to the team and trading Halak for a 3rd and having Sanford us will not help us.

maybe we can trade him against another player on IR

Old
12-15-2009, 12:18 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
If the most we can get for Halak is a 2nd round as Gainey implies, I would rather keep him to back-up Carey. Then we can either trade him this summer or he can sign an offer sheet. The longer we wait to trade this guy the better.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:20 PM
TroyM

I really hope we hold on to Halak... I don't really trust Sanford as back up, and Desjardins despite his recent tear is way too inexperienced, I repeat, waaaay too inexperienced, IMO.

Unless we get a solid return it's not worth it to me. Like someone else said, let him stick around a couple years and lose him to free agency over trading him for a second and having a less than desirable back up goalie.

It's not like Halak will phone it in for that time if he is not accommodated or nobody will want to pick him up when he becomes a free agent. I mean if he gets really bitter then maybe it's worth moving him, but at the moment I want to hold on to him for sure and well, I would fully expect to want him to play more and maybe it'll keep him motivated and busting his ass to do so. Hopefully >_>

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Flyers are clearly not interested enough to give up Gainey's asking price. They have just claimed Leighton off waivers.
Let's wait and see how far that leads them shall we..

If I'm a Flyers fan, I'm screaming for Halak.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:21 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelousmotion View Post
Take off your bi-polar glasses lol. I know Halak looks like a nice guy and Sergei looks like a punk, but it's the EXACT same scenario. Sergei clearly said that he wanted to play in the NHL and if the Habs have no plan to play him in the NHL, then trade him to another team. Halak is basically saying the same thing, he wants to play, if not with the Habs, then on another team. I don't see a big difference here, aside from the fact that one statement comes from a more silent and calm guy (Halak) and the other comes from a guy who made the headlines by being associated with a gangster not too long ago.
I know that he wants to play as a 1st goalie.
he prefers to leave the habs instead to be a 2nd goalie.

The big difference is the way that sergei and halak handles the situation.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:22 PM
number 11

he didn't ASK for a trade....he told gainey he wants to play hockey, here, somewhere, anywhere. he didn't come out a la heatley and say i demand to be traded immediately.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:24 PM
JackZap

Quote:

obviously, Halak has been all class. (no sarcasm here)

Old
12-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
i did. He saying that he wants to play, either in montreal or somewhere else. Obviously he isnt playing here, so what else can he mean? For Gainey to tell Martin to play him? What OTHER solutions are there?
You're problem is that you are putting the causality of events in reverse.

Halak talks to Bob, tells him he wants to play more, they discuss of the possibilities, and Halak confirms what he told him in the past that he is opened to go elsewhere if it means he'd be playing MORE (cause face it, Halak would prefer to stay here, as the starter), its pretty obvious Halak doesn't want to go elsewhere either if he ends up in the same situation as he is here, might as well stay here.

Than BG makes a couple phone calls (or not), sees his worth on the market, tries getting something done. But it doesn't work out.

BG tells all of this to Raymond to be put into an article...

BG is only playing nice with Halak so that Halak remains patient and productive (read, till the end of the season) while they can find a way to accomodate him.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Flyers are clearly not interested enough to give up Gainey's asking price. They have just claimed Leighton off waivers.
And that's after Holmgren called Garth Snow and asked him if he wanted to come back.

It's like part of their tradition: they just don't want any good goaltenders.

I personnaly believe Halak could end but to be more of a Kiprusoff than a Huet. Still, both are pretty good.... and he is a RFA, not UFA.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Which is why I said...IF Gainey does trade Halak, it better be in a package deal along with picks and a young roster player to get a tangible player in return. Or else, Halak is worth more to the Habs as a backup who will play 30-35 games this year.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
obviously, Halak has been all class. (no sarcasm here)
true

BG too.

They seem to have a good relationship, despite BG not being able to offer what Halak wants.

Old
12-15-2009, 12:29 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
You're problem is that you are putting the causality of events in reverse.

Halak talks to Bob, tells him he wants to play more, they discuss of the possibilities, and Halak confirms what he told him in the past that he is opened to go elsewhere if it means he'd be playing MORE (cause face it, Halak would prefer to stay here, as the starter), its pretty obvious Halak doesn't want to go elsewhere either if he ends up in the same situation as he is here, might as well stay here.

Than BG makes a couple phone calls (or not), sees his worth on the market, tries getting something done. But it doesn't work out.

BG tells all of this to Raymond to be put into an article...

BG is only playing nice with Halak so that Halak remains patient and productive (read, till the end of the season) while they can accomodate him.
well Gainey is classy that way, where he will trade players so they can pursue their careers as opposed to rotting in the pressbox e.g Begin

Old
12-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Habs

Gainey should be canned immediately if he doesn't get a player that can help this current lineup. If it takes a package to get it, he has to do so.

And WTF is with Gainey downplaying to the media what a starting goaltender is worth? Talk about selling your assets short when you are trying to increase the value of your product.

I am certain the man has lost his mind.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:33 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
If the most we can get for Halak is a 2nd round as Gainey implies, I would rather keep him to back-up Carey. Then we can either trade him this summer or he can sign an offer sheet. The longer we wait to trade this guy the better.
I agree..Bob should tell Halak to **** and go sit on the bench and be ready when called upon..The better goalie plays and unfortunately Jaro your not that guy right now..

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:34 PM
marvelousmotion

Quote:

Exactly, they both asked to be traded. You sounded like Sergei would have asked to be traded even if he could stay in Montreal while Halak wants to stay in Montreal, but never asked for trade.

The situation is the same, they both are talented young individuals that want to play in the NHL. If not in Montreal, then somewhere else. They both asked to be traded if Montreal has no future plans for them. The only difference is that one is more calm while the other one is agitated.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
well Gainey is classy that way, where he will trade players so they can pursue their careers as opposed to rotting in the pressbox e.g Begin
Problem is, there are always players rotting in the pressbox unless you're gobbled up by injuries. 20 players can be on the lineup, but the roster can go to 23.

Old
12-15-2009, 12:36 PM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Gainey should be canned immediately if he doesn't get a player that can help this current lineup. If it takes a package to get it, he has to do so.

And WTF is with Gainey downplaying to the media what a starting goaltender is worth? Talk about selling your assets short when you are trying to increase the value of your product.

I am certain the man has lost his mind.
You can't force GM's to trade a top 6 forward to the habs for a goalie who hasn't proven much at the NHL level besides a handful of good games in the backup position. Let's get real here...we're not getting a superstar for Halak or for any combination of Halak+young player.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote