HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Halak requested a trade?

Old
12-15-2009, 01:38 PM
TroyM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Problem is, there are always players rotting in the pressbox unless you're gobbled up by injuries. 20 players can be on the lineup, but the roster can go to 23.
Besides, Halak will be rotting between the benches anyway

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Go Habs Go

Why does he do this in an interview with the media? Screw him then, you're in the same boat as a Heatley. A player thats unhappy, wants to be traded, should be addressed internally. Let him rot or send him to the worst market.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well the only difference is the maturity of both players. CLEARLY, we are not talking about the same level here. Still, it goes back to players who think that they should be treated differently and deserve more than what they are been given. Seems that in both cases, they are right.
To me, it's different though.

Halak is a goalie. There are only two roster spots and only one playing at a time. Halak knows there is a star in the making a head of him on the charts and short of total implosion, Price will be given every chance to reach that potential.

It's a no win situation for him. They're comparable age, and he has virtually no real chance to supplant him. Thus, when it is clear that Price is the #1 for now and ever, it only makes sense to give your solid prospect goalie a chance to play every day. See Bryzgalov and Anaheim.

Now the irony of that example is Giguere went on to implode, and Bryz would be the starter there had he stuck it out. That is the danger.

However, there is no reason to expect this in Montreal, so I think the Habs owe it to Halak to let him go to a team where he can play. Kostitsyn on the other hand couldn't supplant 14 forwards and was out of shape and immature to boot. He seems to have learned his lesson though.

Next season, we won't be able to pay Halak and Price and keep our free agents. In the cap era, you need the 450k veteran backup. Having two young potential stars is a luxury no team can afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Why does he do this in an interview with the media? Screw him then, you're in the same boat as a Heatley. A player thats unhappy, wants to be traded, should be addressed internally. Let him rot or send him to the worst market.

Bob Gainey did the damn interview. All Halak said when asked about the report is say he wants to play.

...was he supposed to say how much he likes watching from the bench?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:41 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

i don't get why anyone would release the info that someone requested a trade. 1, no player should publicly state it unless it is his desire to to shaft his soon-to-be former team. 2, no media (at least not local) should report it if they care about the well being of the team, and should be fined because these things obviously lower the return value because now every other team can just say "take this 7th round pick or go **** yourself, he wants to leave anyway, and i would have paid much more, but not since i read the journal de montreal this morning".

if it was halak openly saying it...WTF is your problem you idiot? you already know you're being showcased and you'll be moved as soon as possible anyway. SHUT YOUR ****ING MOUTH AND JUST WAIT.

edit: in reading the article now, he doesn't directly say he asked to be moved, but more or less implies it.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
You can't force GM's to trade a top 6 forward to the habs for a goalie who hasn't proven much at the NHL level besides a handful of good games in the backup position. Let's get real here...we're not getting a superstar for Halak or for any combination of Halak+young player.
You can force a lot of things if a team is faced with an injury. It's not that I have faith in Gainey regardless, so I'm not exactly high with anticipation.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Gainey should be canned immediately if he doesn't get a player that can help this current lineup. If it takes a package to get it, he has to do so.

And WTF is with Gainey downplaying to the media what a starting goaltender is worth? Talk about selling your assets short when you are trying to increase the value of your product.

I am certain the man has lost his mind.
Can't you see the obvious? Instead of thinking BG lost his mind, think a little more, BG has been dangling Halak to other teams for some time now. If other GMs already aren't ready to give much more than what he is saying, his worth won't become more with a little media stunt. Holmgrem... "oh oh oh, Gainey said Halak is worth a first rounder in an article!!! Damn, I was wrong, guess I'll call Bob then".

Instead BG is trying to manage Halak, to make him patient, to show him that he can't amputate the team for his needs only. Halak being a team player, will understand this, as he did before in the past and will wait his turn.

Seriously dude, don't quit your day/family job.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
LMAO.... did anyone read the friggin article???

Halak told Bob, I wanna PLAY, whether I'd be IN MONTREAL OR ELSEWHERE. He asked Bob to decide.

This is not the first time to happen either, and Halak is still with us since the last time it happened.

On another note, BG is giving exclusives to Raymond again now? It's been a really long time, maybe now Graymound will stop ******* the Habs at every turn.... or did he just make this up (I would be surprised).

Posted via a funtioning brain
Thanks for the laugh Oz...

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:42 PM
The Bernie Federko

We won't be getting a top 6 forward for Halak, even if we toss in a young forward as well. Halak is not a proven starter, pointe final.

The Bernie Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Dude pipe down, its BOB GAINEY who told it to Bertrand Raymond, its not Halak. BG already tried to trade him. This is coming out after.

Old
12-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Thanks for the laugh Oz...
Glad someone noticed it. oops typehole....

Old
12-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
You can force a lot of things if a team is faced with an injury. It's not that I have faith in Gainey regardless, so I'm not exactly high with anticipation.
Same here, every trade he makes I come in expecting the Habs to get fleeced.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
Besides, Halak will be rotting between the benches anyway
What, is he joining Pierre in his monster watching booth, or moonlighting as a time keeper to keep from getting bored?

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
this quote scares me...

''Let's be realistic,'' Gainey told the website. "I received a second round pick from the Washington Capitals for Cristobal Huet and the Flyers gave up a second round pick from Buffalo for Martin Biron.''

it's like he's trying to prepare the fan base to accept a 2nd round pick for Halak.

That might very well be the most the market is willing to give up for a goalie like Halak, but he's obviously worth more to us, which would make it a negative return for us.

I really, REALLY hope Gainey finds a way to get more out of it than just a 2nd.
Wasn't James Neal a second round pick?

edit: and remember folks, if traded I believe Halak still remains RFA, so he's still worth at LEAST the compensation picks if he doesn't resign with that team. That alone makes the situation different than Huet and Biron (who were free to go wherever they like without compensation, which obviously lowers your value... basically a 2nd for their services and no guarantee they'd re-sign, whereas with Halak you get his services plus compensation picks at the very least).

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 12-15-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Darth Joker

Gainey is simply doing pre-emptive damage control.

He's probably already tried to trade Halak, and he probably insisted on a Top 6 forward for a few weeks now while offering him up in a trade. No team is biting at that asking price.

So... Gainey is basically saying "Don't expect a top NHLer for Halak. We'll probably end up trading him for a 2nd Round pick, or a player of value equivalent to that".

The timing of this is interesting. I think that Philly was probably mulling over something like Halak-for-Hartnell, more or less straight up. If Philly's goaltending had sucked last night, and if Halak had a top flight performance against Buffalo... who knows, maybe that trade would already have been made.

But given that Philly won 3-1 last night, and Halak gave up 4 goals on less than 30 shots...

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:54 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
What, is he joining Pierre in his monster watching booth, or moonlighting as a time keeper to keep from getting bored?
I smell a sitcom!

Pierre: WHAM MONSTER HIT BY PHANEUF TOTAL KABONGO
Jaroslav: Could you please keep it down I am trying to read.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:54 PM
kovalost27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
LOL Aaaaaaaand he just dropped his worth by about 15%
Gainey has an asking price. He is not losing value of Halak, Halak could stay this year or be bought off the Canadiens next year as an RFA. Either way, Montreal is going to get a return for him.

Also, Halak is a great goalie and I am very sure he will be given a shot on an NHL team.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Miller Time

how about this?:

to LAK:

Hamrlik
Gill
Halak

to Mtl:
J.Johnson
Frolov
Ersberg

we take on a little more risk since Frolov is UFA at the end of the season, but get a potential gem in Johnson, and if Frolov can come in and click with Gomez-Gionta, we end up with two very good scoring lines, plus we free up ~6.5M in extra cap space for next year, money that can go towards re-signing Pleks, Price and Frolov (if the fit is good).
Losing Hamrlik, who has been by far our best D, hurts, but imo Markov/Johnson is at least the same if not an immediate upgrade over Hamrlik/Gill, and long-term it's clearly in our benefit. Ersberg is a capable backup on a cheap salary signed through next season.

LAK gets an upgrade on D (in the short term, Hamrlik + reuniting Gill-Scuderi) and better goaltending depth, two elements that should help them lower their GA/per game (which is 2nd worst in the Western conference, despite being tied for 1st overall in points), which could definitely help them cement their great start. With Smyth due back any day now, their offense should be able to manage losing Frolov, who hasn't been a great fit with T.Murray anyways...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
how about this?:

to LAK:

Hamrlik
Gill
Halak

to Mtl:
J.Johnson
Frolov
Ersberg

we take on a little more risk since Frolov is UFA at the end of the season, but get a potential gem in Johnson, and if Frolov can come in and click with Gomez-Gionta, we end up with two very good scoring lines, plus we free up ~6.5M in extra cap space for next year, money that can go towards re-signing Pleks, Price and Frolov (if the fit is good).
Losing Hamrlik, who has been by far our best D, hurts, but imo Markov/Johnson is at least the same if not an immediate upgrade over Hamrlik/Gill, and long-term it's clearly in our benefit. Ersberg is a capable backup on a cheap salary signed through next season.

LAK gets an upgrade on D (in the short term, Hamrlik + reuniting Gill-Scuderi) and better goaltending depth, two elements that should help them lower their GA/per game (which is 2nd worst in the Western conference, despite being tied for 1st overall in points), which could definitely help them cement their great start. With Smyth due back any day now, their offense should be able to manage losing Frolov, who hasn't been a great fit with T.Murray anyways...
LA passes. Johnson and Frolov are better players and Halak would still be a backup in LA.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:58 PM
gusfring

Quote:
how about this?:

to LAK:

Hamrlik
Gill
Halak

to Mtl:
J.Johnson
Frolov
Ersberg
My God - this is why people think Habs fans are delusional.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Newhabfan

People should read the article on Corussports before commenting it.

I specifically request the title of this thread to be changed - it does not reflect the content of the link.

First we are not given the text of the questions - something very important in this context. Imagine reporters asking Halak "Did you ask for a trade ?" "Is it true Philadephia wants you ?" etc... The poor guy is just giving evasive responses :

"I might have asked for a trade or I might have not. It's between me and my agent and I won't comment. It's not up to me anyways - the decision belongs to Bob Gainey. All I can control is the quality of my game. I am very happy here and I want to play, here or elsewhere"

Can a mod please change the title of the thread ? It's actually the opposite of the link content it uses.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Tendresse
Capitaine Gorges

Can't blame a young goaltender for wanting more minutes.

Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
People should read the article on Corussports before commenting it.

I specifically request the title of this thread to be changed - it does not reflect the content of the link.

First we are not given the text of the questions - something very important in this context. Imagine reporters asking Halak "Did you ask for a trade ?" "Is it true Philadephia wants you ?" etc... The poor guy is just giving evasive responses :

"I might have asked for a trade or I might have not. It's between me and my agent and I won't comment. It's not up to me anyways - the decision belongs to Bob Gainey. All I can control is the quality of my game. I am very happy here and I want to play, here or elsewhere"

Can a mod please change the title of the thread ? It's actually the opposite of the link content it uses.
Could the mods oblige please, a lot of posters, myself included, have been asking for this.

Old
12-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Wasn't James Neal a second round pick?
so were Corey Urqhart, tomas lindhart, duncan milroy, alexandre buturlin...

and Nik Lidstrom was a 3rd round pick...

or better yet, Halak himself was a 9th round pick.

what's your point?

Do you think that Halak's value to us is a little as the crapshoot that a 2nd round pick presents? I'd say he's worth more to us right now. I'm not against trading assets for picks, and if the alternatives are losing Halak or getting a 2nd round pick (heck even a 4th round pick), then so be it...

but in the meantime, I still hope that our GM is able to work the market and get the best possible return, ideally upgrading as opposed to downgrading...

a few years back, Ron Wilson (Sharks GM) turned Vesa Toskala (and a player they rightfully identified as being expendable, mark bell), a back up with good potential much like Halak, into 1st, 2nd and 4th round picks... is it crazy to hope that Gainey can pull something off of that nature?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:05 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudemain View Post
Can't blame a young goaltender for wanting more minutes.
I know eh ! Price should have played last night !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Habsfan18

I know Bob used the Biron and Huet comparisons, but If I'm not mistaken..both goalies were soon-to-be UFA's.

Halak is a good young goaltender with the potential to be a starting goalie in this league. I'll be very pissed if we can only get a 2nd for him.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote