HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another Tough Loss... 4-3 Sabres

Old
12-15-2009, 10:11 AM
alexstream

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadyens View Post
I'm not a Halak basher, but he was weak on the second and fourth goal.

Second goal: The puck went under his pad, not between his legs, the pad should have been on the ice during the movement.

Fourth goal: Why the **** did he try to stop the puck with his glove? he had plenty of time to make a lateral movement.

Overall not a good night at all for Jaro, can't be good with so many scouts present at the game.
I don't like bashing any habs player at all.
But Carey is the STARTER
and Halak should play only when Price needs a rest.
no debate, no nothing.
No one knows who the backup is in New Jersey and how good he is doing.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:29 AM
la25ecoupe

Halak weak goal number 4th

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Halak didn't have his best game but the guys in front didn't help him much with all those dumb penalties.He could have stopped 2 of them but nothing you can do now.What I don't understand is why Price didn't start,not saying he would have made a difference in the game but he is the #1 and with a back to back coming up Halak would have started a game anyways,just don't get the decision by Martin

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
You ladies should find the appropriate thread and continue this there, because there were no "weak" goals tonight, so I don't see why you're getting into this.
Wether some goals we weak or not is kind of irrelevant.

Halak just didn't make the one point-creating save. He wasn't the reason we lost, but he wasn't the reason we got a +1/+2 in the points section.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Although it's not exactly what you are talking about, I thought his first against the Thrashers the other night was pretty youtube worthy. Obviously, if he was in full form, he'd have deke'd that last Dman and the goalie as well before scoring, but still, it was something to see (and it happened at the same end as his previous youtube moment against Atlanta). It was perhaps a little more like his goal early last year against the Flyers where he decked Richards before unleashing that laser wrister, the combination of using his strength and his shot on the same play.

Still, if he can top his previous efforts, I'd sure like to see that
Oh but it has been youtubed.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:29 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Oh but it has been youtubed.
Great goal! You can see the confidence in his game, esp last night when he called for the puck and delivered a beautiful one timer for the first.

Sergei and Scotty are starting to show some chemistry as well, if they get going look out!

Of course it's all for naught if one of our 3rd liners takes a dumb penalty late again.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

Second goal: The puck went under his pad, not between his legs, the pad should have been on the ice during the movement.

Fourth goal: Why the **** did he try to stop the puck with his glove? he had plenty of time to make a lateral movement.

Overall not a good night at all for Jaro, can't be good with so many scouts present at the game.
No, no he didn't. That guy was wide open on the far side of the net. If Halak makes that save, it would have been more impressive than Carey's rob of that sure goal a few nights ago.

Not his best game by any stretch, but the team in front of him (except for the first line) was even worse.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:14 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
No, no he didn't. That guy was wide open on the far side of the net. If Halak makes that save, it would have been more impressive than Carey's rob of that sure goal a few nights ago.
Carey Price made a save on that type of goal back in Nashville when Nashville was on the PP. Price has better lateral movement/longer legs so it certainly helps him with stopping goals on cross-ice passes...even Cammalleri made a comment about his great lateral movement.

Then again, I think we're used to seeing Price making amazing saves...so when Jaro looks average or doesn't stop goals Price could've stopped, we are harsh on Halak. I'd argue Price would've stopped Kaleta's goal with his pads. But hey, Halak rarely gets any pressure put on him (since he's just a back up) and it's usually the anti-Price haters who come out, even when Price makes 53 saves and loses!!!

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:36 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Quote:

For all the guys that turn into goalie coaches when Price lets in goal, you certainly don't hear anything about Halak's little errors.

If it was Price we would have heard nonstop about why his stick wasn't in place, why his glove was too low or my favorite on why he did not control the rebound on a shea weber or alex ovechkin shot. Its also funny since everyone is well aware of Halaks lack of rebound control.

Oh well, I will just assume we hold Price to higher standards.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:37 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
Carey Price made a save on that type of goal back in Nashville when Nashville was on the PP. Price has better lateral movement/longer legs so it certainly helps him with stopping goals on cross-ice passes...even Cammalleri made a comment about his great lateral movement.

Then again, I think we're used to seeing Price making amazing saves...so when Jaro looks average or doesn't stop goals Price could've stopped, we are harsh on Halak. I'd argue Price would've stopped Kaleta's goal with his pads. But hey, Halak rarely gets any pressure put on him (since he's just a back up) and it's usually the anti-Price haters who come out, even when Price makes 53 saves and loses!!!
Don't bother it's a NO win situation !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Wether Halak should have or Price would have made some of those saves, I find it dumb to start him against Buffalo regardless of wether he's being showcased or not. You don't shwcase your back up goalie against the 1st place team in your division.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:17 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Ive said several time that my expectation with Gomez arent high since the beginning of the season. I was expecting around 60 pts. I didnt expect much but with the fact that he will play with Gionta, i thought maybe he could improve his production over last season but it doesnt seem to be the case. IIRC, Gionta played every games with Gomez since the beginning of the season and in that stretch, Gomez only manage to get a point ratio of 1pt every two games.

Even if we put his production aside, i dont feel he does everything to make the team win. I know he doesnt have the best winger to produce but i dont see him work hard enough. When I see Plek and Metro in the offensive zone, they are battling hard, playing with emotion.. with Gomez, i feel that he just brings the puck in the offensive zone and his job is done.

I know Sergei and Maxim are not the best goal scorer but with the way some people are praising his playmaking/passing skill, he should make them better, not all the way around.
See, the thing is, people have some disillusioned ideas of how skilled Gomez is. Gomez has great hockey sense, can read plays very well, has a good top speed, can hit seams in stride, and has excellent puck possession through the neutral zone. People see this, and instantly think he is a number one center. However, they miss his flaws, he tries to make too many low percentage passes/plays, is not a good puckhandler by any means, he is an average playmaker, and possesses a below average shot. That's the thing, people look at his assists and think he is a tremendous playmaker. Yes, he is good at passing the puck, and has good vision, but it is not even the best part of his game. Therefore, you can't use that false assumption to pretend that he is going to make his wingers better hockey players.

When Gomez first broke into the league he was a more all around player, although raw, which allowed him to produce more points than he can today. But on top of that, now he is more experienced and plays a much better two way game than he did in the past.

You can't expect this guy to be a point per game player, it is just not going to happen. If you expect him to get 60 points, thats fine. I believe he will get 60 points this year, its not really fair to judge him on his play of his first 22 games of being on a new club, give him a chance.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Wether Halak should have or Price would have made some of those saves, I find it dumb to start him against Buffalo regardless of wether he's being showcased or not. You don't shwcase your back up goalie against the 1st place team in your division.
You do if you're trying to sell him as a starter that can win big games for his new team.

Old
12-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think Gomez needs 2 things to go back to being a 60-70 point guy. First he needs to start shooting more, much like AK46 the first 20 games, he is waiting for the perfect opportunity and it rarely comes. Once they start going in he'll gain confidence and keep shooting more. Second he needs Gionta on his line because he is first and foremost a playmaker and Gionta likes to shoot.

He has the skills to be a #1 center, but he needs to modify his game somewhat.

Old
12-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
You do if you're trying to sell him as a starter that can win big games for his new team.
...and we saw how well that plan worked last night.

Old
12-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
...and we saw how well that plan worked last night.
Yeah, I guess the rest of the team in front of him didn't get the memo that he was supposed to look good for the scouts last night. But seriously, if the other GM says he wants to see Halak against top teams before their willing to give up anything good for him, what else are you supposed to do?

Old
12-15-2009, 02:43 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Yeah, I guess the rest of the team in front of him didn't get the memo that he was supposed to look good for the scouts last night. But seriously, if the other GM says he wants to see Halak against top teams before their willing to give up anything good for him, what else are you supposed to do?
LMAO, excuses excuses.
Will you be heading to Halaks new teams board by any chance ?

Last edited by PunkinDrublic*: 12-15-2009 at 02:56 PM.
PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:47 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
I totally agree. It failed miserably. I don't know what Gainey/Martin were thinking.

Halak is a young, average (not bad, but not great) goaltender, I keep saying it. He has a great glove hand...but he has bad rebound control, bad lateral movement, SMALL and gets beat on point shots/upstairs a lot. Sure, he can look great once in a while but he allowed 4+ goals in regulation in SEVERAL of his starts already! There's no excuse for that. Period. Imagine if Halak would've started that Nashville game with 55 shots against? Do ppl actually think Halak would have made 53 saves like Carey did? I doubt it.

Habs fans overvalue Halak's talent, it's obvious Price is the better goalie. There are so many anti-Price bashers and yet, he has the better save % and makes amazing saves that Halak doesn't. Price is the more athletic one, his fundamentals are better.

We (the fans) all hold Price to such a high standards because we know what he's capable of! All those amazing saves, we take for granted! Halak is just the back-up so it's never "his fault" when he lets in weak goals that Price would've stopped. Doesn't that tell the anti-Price bashers something? Halak is just a back-up and viewed as one generally by the fans, so we don't see the same potential in Halak as Price!

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 04:28 PM
canadian_man_44

Wow. Glad I didn't bother reading the whole thread. This is just full of a lot of BS. A tough loss turns into a Halak bashing ceremony.
**** people. Too many guys left alone in front of the net will lead to goals no matter who is between the pipes. ****** thing is if Price had of been in there and lost that game, a bunch of idiots would be crying because they didn't play Halak.

Price vs. Halak threads are useless and bring out the somewhat pathetic side in a lot of HF boards members.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Just checked in to see the biggest posters for last night's game and saw myself 10 posts behind the main poster with 45. Pretty odd considering I came in at the start of the second period.

I'm prepared for tomorrow's game though. I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of these comments :

"Boooooooooooring"
"This is hard to watch"
"I can't take it anymore"
"How many shots do we have?"
"Can we count that as a hit?"
"Hey, remember last night when Vanek tipped over like a cow?"
"This game blows"

I can't wait... looking forward to it.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote