HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Goaltending Records that Brodeur or anyone else will NOT break

Old
12-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Johnny Engine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Yes it almost certainly will never happen in our lifetime. Hasek's seasons back then were unreal. By the way here are the Hart Trophy winners by a goalie in NHL history:

1929 Roy "Shrimp" Worters
1950 Chuck Rayner
*1954 Al Rollins
1962 Jacques Plante
1997 Dominik Hasek
1998 Dominik Hasek
2002 Jose Theodore

That's all folks. When you look at goalies like Roy, Sawchuk, Brodeur, Hall and even Parent who never won it once can you imagine the next time a goalie wins the Hart? Theodore had that one blip year. The way Ryan Miller is playing this year he can easily be in contention for the Hart but will it even go to him? Crosby is on a tear and is my pick personally. So imagine Miller coming up with a miracle and winning the Hart. Then imagine him doing it two more years in a row. Not gonna happen
None of those goaltenders except for Plante and Hasek were what you'd call top-tier all time goaltenders, and got their Harts chiefly by being on crappy teams and leading them to out-of character great years. So the way I see it, only way a goaltender can win two or three Harts in a row is for one of the game's elite to play for a team that, over a long period of time, is bad and shows no improvement (but still competes because of their godly goaltender).
With the amount of power players have in the CBA for the forseeable future, I don't see that happening. Luongo didn't stay in Florida, and I don't think a player like Hasek could be kept in Buffalo now or any time soon.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Out of one's that aren't era defined. I think Patrick Roy's career playoff wins is the hardest to top.

12-15-2009, 02:02 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Glenn Hall's consecutive games played streak
this.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:22 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Out of one's that aren't era defined. I think Patrick Roy's career playoff wins is the hardest to top.
I agree, though even that one was helped by era - the era of the divisional playoffs where Roy got several "free" wins per playoffs against the likes of the Hartford Whalers.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:04 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Patrick Roy's 41 career playoff OT wins.

He was 41-17 overall, 24-5 in Montreal, 16-13 in Colorado

24-5? 7-0 all-time in Stanley Cup Finals OT?

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:29 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Patrick Roy's 41 career playoff OT wins.

He was 41-17 overall, 24-5 in Montreal, 16-13 in Colorado

24-5? 7-0 all-time in Stanley Cup Finals OT?
Roy should be 40-18. Still, that's more playoff OT wins than the Detroit Red Wings have...

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:51 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I agree, though even that one was helped by era - the era of the divisional playoffs where Roy got several "free" wins per playoffs against the likes of the Hartford Whalers.
It was only a really noticeable difference in 1992, which ended up being a seven game series anyway (they would've drawn the Islanders instead). In 1990, for instance, Hartford had the fourth best record in the Adams and was better than every team in the Patrick. Any advantage Roy had in the divisional system was taken away by sharing the Adams with the Bruins, who were his kryptonite. I'm sure he could've racked up more wins if he didn't have to play them in the second round all the time.

If someone wants to run the numbers, they'll see that he would've had more success without the divisional playoffs forcing the Bruins-Canadiens match-up early in 1988, 1990, and 1991.

Old
12-15-2009, 04:02 AM
Bert Marshall days

Billy Smith's 19 playoff series wins in a row.

Nobody is ever coming close to that.........especially with a salary cap and free agency.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
You make it sound like the Whalers were some wannbe ECHL team - of the four series that Montreal and Hartford played, two went to seven games, and one went to six. The fourth one was a sweep, but three of the games were decided within a goal.

That's pretty damn far from free wins.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:22 PM
BM67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
You make it sound like the Whalers were some wannbe ECHL team - of the four series that Montreal and Hartford played, two went to seven games, and one went to six. The fourth one was a sweep, but three of the games were decided within a goal.

That's pretty damn far from free wins.
Roy played 10 series against teams with sub-500 records. Hasek played 2 series against sub-500 teams (one in Chicago where he was the backup, and one in Buffalo where he was injured), and Brodeur only 1.

Roy - NYR 78 pts in 86; Que 72 pts in 87; Hfd 77 pts in 88; Hfd 79 pts in 89; Hfd 65 pts in 92; Van 79 pts in 96; Chi and Edm 81 pts in 97; Edm 80 pts in 98; SJ 80 pts in 99

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:00 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Playoff wins will not be touched.
I'm thinking that since Brodeur hasn't even got close to it, then it will sure be tough.

t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Cermi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post

Nobody is ever coming close to that.........especially with a salary cap and free agency.
Yes, I agree.

Along with Hasek's 2 Harts in row and Hall's consecutive starts these are the unbreakable ones.

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
Roy should be 40-18. Still, that's more playoff OT wins than the Detroit Red Wings have...
Actually, it is equal. DRW have 40 wins (vs. 49 losses though)

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 03:01 AM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
I dont think a goalie will ever win the con smythe at 20(Roy) I mean it is for sure more likely then 2 harts back to back but it deserves a mention as well

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 04:02 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
More to do with a lack of parity than divisional playoff problems.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:12 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
Roy played 10 series against teams with sub-500 records. Hasek played 2 series against sub-500 teams (one in Chicago where he was the backup, and one in Buffalo where he was injured), and Brodeur only 1.

Roy - NYR 78 pts in 86; Que 72 pts in 87; Hfd 77 pts in 88; Hfd 79 pts in 89; Hfd 65 pts in 92; Van 79 pts in 96; Chi and Edm 81 pts in 97; Edm 80 pts in 98; SJ 80 pts in 99
The Rangers made it to the Conference Finals, and were not even in the Canadiens' division, meaning that if anything, the Patrick Division was weak and the Adams was not.

Hayward played the Quebec series (Roy lost Game One and Hayward started in all but one other game in the playoffs). Either way, Quebec made it to that round by knocking out a 93 point team in Hartford, and there were no non-playoff teams in the Eastern Conference with more points than them, so their appearance in the playoffs has nothing to do with a divisional system.

Hartford in 1988 (where Roy only earned three wins), sure, but as the best team in the Eastern Conference, Montreal would've been playing the 36-win Rangers instead of the 35-win Whalers in a non-divisional playoff, so there's not much of a difference there.

Hartford in 1989 were legitimately the eighth best team, and as the #1 seed, Montreal would've gotten them no matter what. Roy was only started in 3 games against them (all wins).

1992, I agree with completely.

The rest were in the non-divisional playoffs, so they are completely outside of TDMM's original assertion. Yeah, Roy played some bum teams past 1994, but only because Colorado was consistently a division winner from 1996-2003 largely because of him. That doesn't count as a generational advantage.

If you want to take out his series against the Rangers, 88 Whalers, and 92 Whalers for kicks and giggles, his playoff record would be 140-89. Still unreachable.

Old
12-19-2009, 12:26 PM
grateful1031

Most Penalty Minute
113 Ron Hextall (PHI) - 1988-1989

grateful1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:53 PM
supaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful1031 View Post
Most Penalty Minute
113 Ron Hextall (PHI) - 1988-1989
Hahahah. I forgot about Hextall. Man was he crazy. I think that record and Hall's most consecutive games played record are unbreakable. Although i'm sure there will be some crazy goalie who may try.

supaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 01:22 PM
tmg

Hall's consecutive-starts record is unlikely to be broken, but all it would take is a coach+goalie willing to make a farce of the league to do it (have your starter start every game, but swap him for the backup at first whistle on the games he needs rest). And a long avoidance of injury.

Quote:
Patrick Lalime's 16-game undefeated streak to start his career (even tougher now that ties aren't a thing anymore)
Varlamov came awfully close... and because of the rule change they're not even likely to use 'undefeated' as thee record base - the streaks of record are 'consecutive wins' and 'consecutive games without a regulation loss'.

Varlamov only has one regulation loss in his career to date (with 16 wins). Won hjis first 10 decisions. I don't see why other can't exlipse that and challenge Lalime's marks.

Quote:
Since I can't see the league going beyond 82 games, I think Luongo's 41 home starts in a single season can only be tied
With a trade it can theoretically be topped. Jordan Leopold played 45 road games last regular season; Antropov played 43.

tmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 04:29 PM
BM67

Quote:
The Rangers made it to the Conference Finals, and were not even in the Canadiens' division, meaning that if anything, the Patrick Division was weak and the Adams was not.

Hayward played the Quebec series (Roy lost Game One and Hayward started in all but one other game in the playoffs). Either way, Quebec made it to that round by knocking out a 93 point team in Hartford, and there were no non-playoff teams in the Eastern Conference with more points than them, so their appearance in the playoffs has nothing to do with a divisional system.

Hartford in 1988 (where Roy only earned three wins), sure, but as the best team in the Eastern Conference, Montreal would've been playing the 36-win Rangers instead of the 35-win Whalers in a non-divisional playoff, so there's not much of a difference there.

Hartford in 1989 were legitimately the eighth best team, and as the #1 seed, Montreal would've gotten them no matter what. Roy was only started in 3 games against them (all wins).

1992, I agree with completely.

The rest were in the non-divisional playoffs, so they are completely outside of TDMM's original assertion. Yeah, Roy played some bum teams past 1994, but only because Colorado was consistently a division winner from 1996-2003 largely because of him. That doesn't count as a generational advantage.

If you want to take out his series against the Rangers, 88 Whalers, and 92 Whalers for kicks and giggles, his playoff record would be 140-89. Still unreachable.
Those are only the sub-500 teams he faced, but he also faced many teams with 500 records or just above as well.

The winning percentage of teams each faced in the playoffs:

Pre OTL Pt

Roy 35S 0.552 (10 series vs sub-500 teams)
Hasek 14S 0.572 (2 series vs sub-500 teams)
Brodeur 12S 0.591 (1 series vs sub-500 teams)

With OTL Pt
Hasek 11S 0.603
Brodeur 20S 0.604
Roy 11S 0.610

Cup years
Roy86 0.527
Roy93 0.543
Brodeur95 0.646
Roy96 0.604
OTL Pt
Brodeur 00 0.618
Roy01 0.604
Hasek02 0.582
Brodeur03 0.591

Series record vs. teams 0.600+

Hasek 5W 5L (2-3/3-2 before/after OTL)
Roy 7W 7L (3-5/4-2 before/after OTL)
Brodeur 8W 6L (3-2/5-4 before/after OTL)

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextune View Post
I will just note that Sawchuk's 103 shutouts seemed like the most untouchable record in all of sports for decades.

I remember in '93 when Mogilny and Selanne hit 76 goals, (and Hull had had 86 a few years before), pundits wondered; "will anyone ever break Gretz' 92 goals record?" The answer was yes, "any record can be broken....except of course Sawchuk's 103 shutouts."

It truly seemed beyond the realm of possibility. Then came the trap, lol.

The lesson is: all records can be broken.
Then came the trap? You my friend are an idiot.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
I'm trying to think hard, but what game was it in overtime which you are against? Roy was 41-17 in playoff OT, but you claim he should be 40-18? What game are you refering to?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post

You never know about that one. Watch out for Fleury. Yes I know the odds, the Pens need to win 5 straight Cups and so on, but since he's won 7/8 of his last playoff series I can see it being threatened at least. By the way I am an optimist that the Pens are a dynasty in case you didn't notice.

By the way, a little loophole, Cam Ward won 6 straight playoff series before losing to the Pens last year. It doesn't count as much since the Canes missed the playoffs two years in a row after winning a Cup but just thought it was interesting that he had never lost a playoff series until then

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Cermi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
You never know about that one. Watch out for Fleury. Yes I know the odds, the Pens need to win 5 straight Cups and so on, but since he's won 7/8 of his last playoff series I can see it being threatened at least. By the way I am an optimist that the Pens are a dynasty in case you didn't notice.

By the way, a little loophole, Cam Ward won 6 straight playoff series before losing to the Pens last year. It doesn't count as much since the Canes missed the playoffs two years in a row after winning a Cup but just thought it was interesting that he had never lost a playoff series until then
No way! He won 4 straight, which means that he would have to win another 4(!!!) consecutive cups to break the record. Impossible! I'd bet all my money that he won't break it!

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 08:36 AM
tony d
The franchise

Hasek's 2 Harts In A Row.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote