HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Halak requested a trade?

Old
12-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
My God - this is why people think Habs fans are delusional.
what a thoughtful and intelligent post... thank god we have posters like you around here...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
LA passes. Johnson and Frolov are better players and Halak would still be a backup in LA.
Seriously. Why would Halak jump into a Quick/Bernier nest if he's looking for a place to actually play often? He would make their goaltending situation more congested than it currently is in Montreal.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
how about this?:

to LAK:

Hamrlik
Gill
Halak

to Mtl:
J.Johnson
Frolov
Ersberg
Habs fans have to be the worst in the league for trade proposals.

What a terrible proposal. Just awful..

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
so were Corey Urqhart, tomas lindhart, duncan milroy, alexandre buturlin...

and Nik Lidstrom was a 3rd round pick...

or better yet, Halak himself was a 9th round pick.

what's your point?
Nothing. Hence the sarcasm smiley.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
what a thoughtful and intelligent post... thank god we have posters like you around here...
I don't think you should really be judging another poster after coming out with THAT proposal.

Seriously, if you were LA would you do that??

Old
12-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
LA passes. Johnson and Frolov are better players and Halak would still be a backup in LA.
Hamrlik is the best player in the deal, as of today, imo. Johnson certainly has the potential to reach that level (or surpass it), and Frolov is an impending UFA.

Halak would go in and challenge Quick for the #1 spot. I don't know how much Kings games you get to see, but I've watched a couple this season, and Quick is perhaps the biggest reason why the Kings are solidly in 1st place in the West right now. He lets in a soft goal almost every game.

Old
12-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Mihairokov

Halak is good enough to be a starter. Reasonable demand.

Mihairokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:09 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Flyers are clearly not interested enough to give up Gainey's asking price. They have just claimed Leighton off waivers.
That, or is Leighton coming to Montreal in a package deal allowing Montreal to have a back up to Price in Leighton or Sanford?

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:10 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 216
his stupid agent is probably behind this
he doesnt deserve more playing time
he has a decent amount in the last couple weeks and hasnt done anything to show he should get more time

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Maybe he should of played a little better last night.
I like to do hoodrat things with my friends!

Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Millertime meet Nittany.

That's the guy you replaced around here.

And despite what you may both think at the moment of each other, you'll get along just fine once you get to know each other. Two peas in a pod.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:15 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

yeah the thread title led me to bash halak's would-be attitude towards the matter before reading the article.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:17 PM
habaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

At least now I get why some people want Gainey fired....if that's the expectation level, he stands no chance....geeez!

habaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:18 PM
habsfans333*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
his stupid agent is probably behind this
he doesnt deserve more playing time
he has a decent amount in the last couple weeks and hasnt done anything to show he should get more time
Quote for truth.

Halak ain't a potential number 1, he is a solid backup who can't win game lately.

habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Miller Time

Quote:

Quote:
I don't think you should really be judging another poster after coming out with THAT proposal.

Seriously, if you were LA would you do that??
Well, yes, if I was LA, I would do that... for the reasons I explained. your reply, on the other hand, is exactly why this board is annoying to be on at times...

Hamrlik is EXACTLY the kind of dman the Kings are missing right now on the back end, a veteran 2-way guy who can eat up over 20 minutes a night, and someone to help mentor Doughty, who is great, but isn't going to get as good "tutoring" from one dimensional guys like Scuderi/O'Donnell as he would from someone like Hamrlik.

Halak, as i just mentioned, would challenge Quick for the #1 spot, and imo, would likely end up taking over as their #1 for now and the near future.

Johnson is a big asset to give up, for sure, but do you not see how much it would hurt the habs to lose Hamrlik, even with Markov coming back? the guy plays 24+min a game in all facets...

Gill, as much as he may be slightly overpaid, is solid and if he can regain some of the mojo he had with Scuderi, it's the kind of move that would give the Kings a real boost as they aim for their first playoff run in 7 years.

Frolov is a UFA at the end of the season, and while he's come on a little bit of late since Smyth went down, it's obvious that he doesn't mesh well with T.Murray, and I'd bet a large sum that he doesn't re-sign there in the offseason, even though they have the space to get a deal done... I'd even put the odds on him being moved before the deadline, probably in an attempt to bring in a player like Hamrlik.

Old
12-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Bitterman

Is it just me or does it look suspicious that this is a notorious "TSN Staff Report" using a claim of what Gainey supposedly told Bertrand Raymond?? Gainey HATES Raymond so why would he tell him anything when he's always tight lipped to begin with?

Sure Halak may get traded at some point this season but how does this become a trade demand rumor? And why would Gainey trade Halak to an eastern conference team that could use Halak to knock us out of a playoff spot??

I call shenanigans on Raymond.

Bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Nothing. Hence the sarcasm smiley.
gotcha...

Old
eightyseven

Halak hasn't proven anything and both he and his agent are delusional. He has given up 4+ goals (in regulation) in several of his starts this season!!! Does that sound like a #1 goaltender to you? His save % is reflective of his average play. He's like a younger version of Brian Boucher.

If gets traded, good for him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he still ends up being a back-up goalie elsewhere. So he'll just be unhappy somewhere else other than Montreal. Either way, he'll be unhappy. He may be playing in Europe sooner rather than later.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:20 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
That, or is Leighton coming to Montreal in a package deal allowing Montreal to have a back up to Price in Leighton or Sanford?
Philly would need to waive Leighton again if they try to trade him after picking him up off waivers.

Besides Montreal could've claimed Leighton themselves.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Hamrlik is the best player in the deal, as of today, imo. Johnson certainly has the potential to reach that level (or surpass it), and Frolov is an impending UFA.

Halak would go in and challenge Quick for the #1 spot. I don't know how much Kings games you get to see, but I've watched a couple this season, and Quick is perhaps the biggest reason why the Kings are solidly in 1st place in the West right now. He lets in a soft goal almost every game.
As a kings fan I can tell you that Halak would be a backup in LA but a slight improvement over EE. Quick is still getting no love I see. Not a necessary deal for the Kings but one they can benefit from if Montreal wants to send Halak out of the conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Seriously. Why would Halak jump into a Quick/Bernier nest if he's looking for a place to actually play often? He would make their goaltending situation more congested than it currently is in Montreal.
I was under the impression that Halak is a UFA/RFA at the end of the year. It would be a temporary change of scenery is all. Bernier will be with LA next year. As a Kings fan I'd feel better about Halak than EE but EE does know how to ride the pine without upsetting team chemistry so maybe it's a wash.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
how about this?:

to LAK:

Hamrlik
Gill
Halak

to Mtl:
J.Johnson
Frolov
Ersberg

we take on a little more risk since Frolov is UFA at the end of the season, but get a potential gem in Johnson, and if Frolov can come in and click with Gomez-Gionta, we end up with two very good scoring lines, plus we free up ~6.5M in extra cap space for next year, money that can go towards re-signing Pleks, Price and Frolov (if the fit is good).
Losing Hamrlik, who has been by far our best D, hurts, but imo Markov/Johnson is at least the same if not an immediate upgrade over Hamrlik/Gill, and long-term it's clearly in our benefit. Ersberg is a capable backup on a cheap salary signed through next season.

LAK gets an upgrade on D (in the short term, Hamrlik + reuniting Gill-Scuderi) and better goaltending depth, two elements that should help them lower their GA/per game (which is 2nd worst in the Western conference, despite being tied for 1st overall in points), which could definitely help them cement their great start. With Smyth due back any day now, their offense should be able to manage losing Frolov, who hasn't been a great fit with T.Murray anyways...
You'll be surprised, but I agree with you, that trade is close to even.

Problem is I think Montreal would rather do this than LA

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:24 PM
smon

I think some of you need to consider what Gainey said (translated by TSN)

Quote:
''Let's be realistic,'' Gainey told the website. "I received a second round pick from the Washington Capitals for Cristobal Huet and the Flyers gave up a second round pick from Buffalo for Martin Biron.''

Gainey told ruefrontenac.com writer Bertrand Raymond that he called the Flyers and told them he might have a goaltender available but the Flyers did not propose a deal.
Meaning that Philly is not interested.

Gainey's essentially telling the fanbase that some team will take Halak, but it won't be for much more than a mid-round pick. And well... it's not ideal since I'm quite sure Sanford is not as good (I hope we can all agree on that much). Halak's value to the team right now might be worth more than what we get back...

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

LA doesn't need Hamrlik or Gill. Our defense is already heavy (Drewiske has become our 7th dman and he is a very good underrated defenseman)

We have Hickey and Voinov contending for Odonnell's spot next year. LA does not need any more defensive contracts.

Johnson is young and signed at a decent contract. Frolov is really our only other scoring left wing who could bring back a decent return at the deadline if LA wishes to shop him.

Halak is a short term upgrade backup.

Quick is the real deal and Bernier will have trouble stealing the #1 spot next year. LA does not need to make that ^^^ proposed deal. It doesn't meet their needs.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Johnny16

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
I think some of you need to consider what Gainey said (translated by TSN)

Meaning that Philly is not interested.

Gainey's essentially telling the fanbase that some team will take Halak, but it won't be for much more than a mid-round pick. And well... it's not ideal since I'm quite sure Sanford is not as good (I hope we can all agree on that much). Halak's value to the team right now might be worth more than what we get back...
Finally, some reasoning.

Johnny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Well, yes, if I was LA, I would do that... for the reasons I explained. your reply, on the other hand, is exactly why this board is annoying to be on at times...

Hamrlik is EXACTLY the kind of dman the Kings are missing right now on the back end, a veteran 2-way guy who can eat up over 20 minutes a night, and someone to help mentor Doughty, who is great, but isn't going to get as good "tutoring" from one dimensional guys like Scuderi/O'Donnell as he would from someone like Hamrlik.

Halak, as i just mentioned, would challenge Quick for the #1 spot, and imo, would likely end up taking over as their #1 for now and the near future.

Johnson is a big asset to give up, for sure, but do you not see how much it would hurt the habs to lose Hamrlik, even with Markov coming back? the guy plays 24+min a game in all facets...

Gill, as much as he may be slightly overpaid, is solid and if he can regain some of the mojo he had with Scuderi, it's the kind of move that would give the Kings a real boost as they aim for their first playoff run in 7 years.

Frolov is a UFA at the end of the season, and while he's come on a little bit of late since Smyth went down, it's obvious that he doesn't mesh well with T.Murray, and I'd bet a large sum that he doesn't re-sign there in the offseason, even though they have the space to get a deal done... I'd even put the odds on him being moved before the deadline, probably in an attempt to bring in a player like Hamrlik.
Even if Frolov is an impending UFA, I still don't see why LA does this deal.

- Backup goaltender (currently anyways)
- Veteran 2nd pairing defenseman (with a big salary)
- Veteran 3rd pairing defenseman

vs

- A 60-70 point 2-way threat (yes, he's defensively responsible despite some thinking otherwise)
- Young physical 2nd pairing defenseman, who could possibly even be a 1st pairing guy if he fulfills his potential
- backup goaltender