HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Make 2 moves to fix the Blue Jackets

Old
12-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Hipster Letestu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
And, on topic, its not just two moves, but here are my thoughts:

1. Fire Hitchcock. I give him the rest of the month to change my mind at this point, but no longer.
2. Offload Huselius and one of Commodore/Tyutin. This could be as part of the trade discussed below, or elsewhere, but we need cap room to do what I propose.
3. Sign Patrick Marleau. The Sharks are going to choke in the playoffs again. Its inevitable. Patrick will take the fall. The Sharks will move on. We need to get a bona fide, veteran who can center Nash's line.
4. Trade for Dion Phaneuf. Calgary will also fall short of their Stanley Cup dreams and this situation finally comes to a head. Figure out a trade that works, but get it done. Filatov, Moore, Golobeuf, Calvert, Brassard, our #1 pick. It may take two of those assets to make it happen, but this team needs a #1 d-man.
5. Make other moves as necessary to get under the cap.

These things can be done without using all of our bullets.
I like your ideas, especially Phaneuf, if we can pry him out of Calgary for less than Filtaov a number 1 and a prospect I would take that six days a week and twice on Sunday. I'm not 100% sold on firing Hitch, especially since that would probably negatively effect how much money management would be willing to let Howson spend to bring in a number 1 center.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
1) Fire Hitch
2) Bring Filatov Back, play him on the top line

This would have the following effects.

1) Have scoring go up an average of .2 points per game
2) Have scoring against go up by .5 points per game
3) Lose rest of games by a score of 8-3
4) Collect #1 draft pick
5) Have new #1 Draft pick be a bust
6) Collect new #1 draft pick
7) Have....

25) Have new #1 Draft pick be a bust
26) Collect new #1 Draft Pick
27) Have new #1 NOT be a bust.
28) Collect Stanley Cup!

See, problem solved in 2 simple steps.

Why do you think a new coach would automatically have us in the basement?? I don't think the Jackets can play any worse with your boy Hitchcock.
Another false assumption is your view on Filatov. Not sure why you think the other team will score everytime he's on the ice. That's Nasher right now, worst +- on the team.
You want patience with Hitch but yet you're a fan of the same team that kept Maclean a few years too long. Did you want Maclean kept just because you're scared of change??
The team has regressed since April and the young players not named Voracek have regressed since last April.
Even the most optimistic fans want Hitch gone, not sure what it's going to take to convince you. Maybe lose the rest of December?? (quite possible)

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Bring in a good back up goaltender.

Bring in a shutdown center.

Oh wait.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:37 PM
blahblah

So we are going to offload Juice to free up cap room? That should be entertaining to watch. Got my popcorn and lawn chair to watch that trainwreck.

Not to break into our episode of "I dream of Phaneuf", but I wonder if Pitkanen (a perhaps more obtainable resource for obvious reasons) might be available? Might be worth the risk with another year on that contract. Haven't really looked Carolina's way much to really know or care all that much to be honest.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:44 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Not to break into our episode of "I dream of Phaneuf", but I wonder if Pitkanen (a perhaps more obtainable resource for obvious reasons) might be available? Might be worth the risk with another year on that contract. Haven't really looked Carolina's way much to really know or care all that much to be honest.
The nice thing about Carolina is that they have relatively cheap defenseman and I'm willing to bet almost all of them are available for trade. If we are going to make a trade with them this season I'd like to go after Gleason or Corvo.

Phaneuf is underrated but he seems like the type of guy that would mail it in for the Blue Jackets all the while cashing in $6.5 million a season. Reminds me of Fedorov in that regard. No thanks on Dion.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:52 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
So we are going to offload Juice to free up cap room? That should be entertaining to watch. Got my popcorn and lawn chair to watch that trainwreck.

Hey, everybody, let's go dumpster diving again!

I know that Pitkanen hasn't worked out on three teams, routinely gets injured and is a whopping -13, but I'm sure that he can become a #1 defensemen if we all wish really hard!

This guy was a bum when some posters wanted him nearly 3 years ago and he's still a bum.

Go big or go home. I'm sick and tired of this team going after scraps and retreads and then being shocked when the frog doesn't suddenly become a prince.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:54 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

My roster in this season:

Huselius - Vermette - Nash
xxx - Umberger - Voráček
Picard - Brassard - Majorov
Torres/Chimera - Pahlsson - Dorsett
Boll

Hejda, Russell
Ťjutin, Moore
xxx, Stralman
Methot

Mason/LaCosta

Rather I would give a chance Picard, Majorov and Moore as see on this horror.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Inquiring Minds

Quote:
1) Fire Hitch
2) Bring Filatov Back, play him on the top line

This would have the following effects.

1) Have scoring go up an average of .2 points per game
2) Have scoring against go up by .5 points per game
3) Lose rest of games by a score of 8-3
4) Collect #1 draft pick
5) Have new #1 Draft pick be a bust
6) Collect new #1 draft pick
7) Have....

25) Have new #1 Draft pick be a bust
26) Collect new #1 Draft Pick
27) Have new #1 NOT be a bust.
28) Collect Stanley Cup!

See, problem solved in 2 simple steps.
Wait, there are 30 teams, right? So wouldn't we have to be up to step 62) for it to be our turn? Patience.......

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:04 PM
EH7

1. Send Mase to Syracuse.

2. Strip Nash of the captaincy.

EH7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:05 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Go big or go home. I'm sick and tired of this team going after scraps and retreads and then being shocked when the frog doesn't suddenly become a prince.
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. Go big from that armchair in your flippin house.

You know Howson won't do anything you suggested. But you sound so cool making demands. You are in heaven right now. Enjoy it. Maybe you need to direct your anger in Howson's general direction, because you know it's going to be retreads and internal development. I've wanted a #1 for just as long as anyone else. I know I'm going to be disappointed at every turn.

I'm not jumping up and down for Pitkanen, I'm only suggesting something that Howson might actually consider. Bum or no, he's does some things that a lot of our crap can't. And he actually did play well under Hitch once.

Old
12-15-2009, 01:14 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. Go big from that armchair in your flippin house.

You know Howson won't do anything you suggested. But you sound so cool making demands. You are in heaven right now. Enjoy it. Maybe you need to direct your anger in Howson's general direction, because you know it's going to be retreads and internal development. I've wanted a #1 for just as long as anyone else. I know I'm going to be disappointed at every turn.

I'm not jumping up and down for Pitkanen, I'm only suggesting something that Howson might actually consider. Bum or no, he's does some things that a lot of our crap can't. And he actually did play well under Hitch once.
Keep accepting mediocrity, Blah. That sort of attitude has allowed this management and ownership group to continually sell us slop and say its filet mignon. Until they realize that the fan base as a whole is demanding something more they'll keep giving you Antoine Vermette and Joni Pitkanen figuring its enough to placate you.

Oh, I know, "we're a budget team." And whose decision is that? Certainly not the fans. Its not as if this team's ticket prices reflect its budget. And then there's the whole seat license racket. But "they're losing money." Well, hey, maybe if their owner had thought it was more important to review the lease he was given that wouldn't be the case.

Laugh at my ire if it helps you sleep at night, but until more people get to the point where they start demanding more (especially, like it or not, season ticket holders) this team will continue its nickel and dime solution to its problems.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

I went the "in retrospect" route, just for fun.

1) Don't fire Dave King.

2) Do fire Gord Murphy.

Oh, there are more. Like, work way harder at resigning Manny Malhotra. Keep Brule in juniors until he is old enough to be asigned to Syracuse. And on...

Old
12-15-2009, 01:25 PM
EdwardG
North!

My only untouchables would be Nash, Vorachek, and Mason.

EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Why do you think a new coach would automatically have us in the basement?? I don't think the Jackets can play any worse with your boy Hitchcock.
I believe in defensively sound hockey, which isn't being played right now. Jumping to a talent based offensive style hockey isn't going to work, because we still don't have the talent for it.

Quote:
Another false assumption is your view on Filatov. Not sure why you think the other team will score everytime he's on the ice. That's Nasher right now, worst +- on the team.
When an opposing player looked at Filatov, the Russian Wunderkind turned over the puck. Yep, that'll keep the puck out of our own net. Oh wait....

Quote:
You want patience with Hitch but yet you're a fan of the same team that kept Maclean a few years too long. Did you want Maclean kept just because you're scared of change??
F-No, I wanted McLean gone a couple years before he was.

Dave King, Fired too soon.
Doug McLean, Not fired as coach or GM soon enough.
Gerard Gallant, Not fired soon enough.

What's the difference? King and Hitch had a vision, and actually had a plan. King had absolutely nobody to work with, and Hitch had a group of rookies and took them to the playoffs.

Dougie was on the bench because it got him more TV time and fed his ego. Gallant, well his plan was to put people on the ice and let em play.

Quote:
The team has regressed since April and the young players not named Voracek have regressed since last April.
Apparently Kris Russell is too short for you to notice. Perhaps what we saw last year was a bad team doing well because of good coaching. The players had bought into the system, and made a rookie goaltender look world class. The team was giving up very low percentage shots, and were a unified unit.

What's wrong now? Did they forget the hard work they put in to make Mason look good and believe the hype and just assume he can handle whatever the shooter fires at him from any position on the ice? Was there a bout of overconfidence with the way the team fought to get into the playoffs, and then played the first dozen games this season? They made controlling the flow of the game look easy, maybe they took it for granted.

Quote:
Even the most optimistic fans want Hitch gone, not sure what it's going to take to convince you. Maybe lose the rest of December?? (quite possible)
Yeah, By the end of December 2011 if I don't see a turnaround by then It'd be time for a change.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:34 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Keep accepting mediocrity, Blah. That sort of attitude has allowed this management and ownership group to continually sell us slop and say its filet mignon..
Capn, please. I'm not "accepting" anything. I'm sure Howson is really going to listen if I cancel my season tickets (Priest would, but big deal there) or jump up and down and yell at him in his office. I have voiced my concerns at a few opportunities. That is the extent of my influence, short of coming up with a few hundered million and buying the team.

Come up with something reasonable and believable and I'll jump on the bandwagon. Continue with stuff like, dump Juice for cap room (most everyone is trying to get cap room) and I'll continue to point out how pointless of a suggestion that is. You might be able to move him, but teams are going to want you to take back most or more of his payroll in return. And you'll probably end up with another defect in return.

Old
12-15-2009, 02:15 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
When an opposing player looked at Filatov, the Russian Wunderkind turned over the puck. Yep, that'll keep the puck out of our own net. Oh wait....
Which ended with an even +/- rating, doesnt sound like it ended up in the back of the net much. Good thing since Brassard's a -12.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Which ended with an even +/- rating, doesnt sound like it ended up in the back of the net much. Good thing since Brassard's a -12.
If you don't get any ice time, there aren't many opportunities for the opponents to score while you are out there.

The law of averages would have caught up with him, if he was given the time that some people were clamoring for.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:33 PM
blahblah

Quote:
And maybe Hitch "hiding" Filatov wasn't such a bad thing either.

Old
12-15-2009, 02:37 PM
BluejacketNut

Cause the rest of the team has been playing sooooo well, maybe it wasnt all Filatov afterall. Maybe hiding Brassard might start be a good idea, since of course the law of averages are catching up to him

Old
12-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Maybe we can use our top 10 pick on a good backchecker, that's a good way to spend your draft picks.

I don't remember Pat Kane being a defensive stud, but he was allowed to make mistakes and learn from them.

Huselius turns over the puck all the time, but it's ok right?? If Filatov does it he's damned to hell.

And Tyutin's more of a turnover machine than Filatov ever was, how many times did Hitch stop practice to point him out??

Seems like the Ol Puck Coach can only pick on rookies, but won't say **** to the veterans playing worse than Filatov ever did.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:49 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Cause the rest of the team has been playing sooooo well, maybe it wasnt all Filatov afterall. Maybe hiding Brassard might start be a good idea, since of course the law of averages are catching up to him
Hitch has reduced Brass's role already, unless you've forgotten that RJ is/was playing second line center.

I'm not even sure what you mean by "all Filatov". When Brass wasn't ready, we sent him down to the 'Cuse. Didn't have that option with Nikki.

This isn't even worth it.

Old
12-15-2009, 02:53 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
I don't remember Pat Kane being a defensive stud, but he was allowed to make mistakes and learn from them.

And Tyutin's more of a turnover machine than Filatov ever was, how many times did Hitch stop practice to point him out??
I hate to nitpick but... Patrick Kane was a #1 overall draft pick. I don't think you can compare him to anyone on this team not named Rick Nash in regards to development.

Also, Tyutin is a defenseman, you simply can't bury him in the line up when he ****s up because you only dress 6 of them a game. You can't compare the position to forwards either.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:55 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Hitch has reduced Brass's role already, unless you've forgotten that RJ is/was playing second line center.

I'm not even sure what you mean by "all Filatov". When Brass wasn't ready, we sent him down to the 'Cuse. Didn't have that option with Nikki.

This isn't even worth it.
Maybe the teams defensive problems werent all Filatov as it would seem

When youre the top rated prospect in the NHL, you generally have options

Old
12-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Seems like this thread is veering dangerously off-topic.

Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:05 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Maybe the teams defensive problems werent all Filatov as it would seem
Who said the teams defensive problems had anything to do with Filatov? That's a lot to dump on a kid playing 6-10 minutes a night. He was only responsible for his own play. If someone scores because of someone else's problem the coaching staff is smart enough to figure that out. I'm sure the rest of the players weren't destroyed because of Methot's idiotic turnover last night, for example. Even though some people got a - for that.