HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Has Halak requested a trade?

Old
12-15-2009, 03:04 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

vCash: 500
Halak and D'Agostini for Brunstrom and Auld

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
I'm on the fence whether I'd take a chance on Brunnstrom, we are already taking a chance on Pouliot. I'd like to see less question marks and more exclamation points if you get what I'm saying aka proven talent.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:06 PM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
His value just dropped like a rock...
No, it didn't.

Also, trading a goalie to Philly would be retarded.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
I can see Brunstrom coming to Montreal

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:10 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
No, it didn't.

Also, trading a goalie to Philly would be retarded.
I.m against helping Philly by trading Halak there unless Gainey can get something really good in return. Why help a team take you out of the playoffs?

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:11 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldmysoul2rocknroll View Post
Halak was drafted in the 9th round (the last round.. where most never make the NHL)... you'll get a 2nd round pick for him. His value has increased since he was drafted, I don't see how this is a bad thing? You completly lucked out drafting him.. The habs win with a 2nd rounder you guys should be smiling all the way to the bank.. sheesh.
What the hell does drafted position have anything to do with his current value? Martin St-Louis was never drafted, is he worthless?

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
I can see Brunstrom coming to Montreal
no room.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:14 PM
soldmysoul2rocknroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
What the hell does drafted position have anything to do with his current value? Martin St-Louis was never drafted, is he worthless?
but he obviously wants to be #1 and you have Price so aren't you afraid of losing him for nothing?

soldmysoul2rocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Man, you take the Habs way too seriously, you need to relax. You kind of come off as insecure.
You outta tell him the same thing, or else put on your reading glasses.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Halak was drafted in the 9th round (the last round.. where most never make the NHL)... you'll get a 2nd round pick for him. His value has increased since he was drafted, I don't see how this is a bad thing? You completly lucked out drafting him.. The habs win with a 2nd rounder you guys should be smiling all the way to the bank.. sheesh.
Exactly and the Leafs shouldn't ask for anything more then a 3rd round pick for Kaberle because they got him in the 6th or 7th anyways. They should be laughing all the way to the bank...sheesh. Its simple math people

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=302443

Quote:
When asked whether he had formally requested a trade, Halak was non-committal.

"Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. It's between me and my agent so I'm not going to say yes or no. I have no comment on this," said Halak on Tuesday.

"I'm a young goalie, and Carey (Price) is a young goalie, so I'm pretty sure we both want to play. At the same time, I'm a team guy, and even if I don't play I just want to win, and get the two points. I want everybody to do good," added Halak.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
but he obviously wants to be #1 and you have Price so aren't you afraid of losing him for nothing?
I fail to see how we will lose him for nothing?

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:21 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I'm on the fence whether I'd take a chance on Brunnstrom, we are already taking a chance on Pouliot. I'd like to see less question marks and more exclamation points if you get what I'm saying aka proven talent.
Obviously we'd like to get someone who is proven but with the market for goaltenders we won't get great value for Halak so we'll probably have to settle on a question mark if he does get traded.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
All right. So basically you're alluding to Turco and maybe Smith in Tampa. No other situations are really jumping out at me besides Detroit.
Not really. The possibilities could be much more extensive as we have no insight into the strategies of the other GMs out there. I listed quite a few possible criteria, after all. And we're probably talking about somewhere that Halak will sign for roughly 2/3 years at first. I don't think anyone is going to be looking to sign him to a 5+ year contract right of the bat...

Thinking a bit outside the box though, how about Edmonton? Sure Khabi's a really good goaltender. Certainly much more proven than Halak. But with so many important RFAs to sign (likely to decent raises; Gagner, Cogliano, Brule, Grebeshkov), have two young goalies that they have to decide on, and are already pressed up against the cap and have 44 mil committed to only 13 skaters next year... maybe trading a 37 year old Khabibulin before his contract expires and replacing him with Halak if they suspect he could beat out both young guys.

Not saying that's likely, just thinking outside the box.

Another outside the box is Florida. If they don't want, or think they can afford Vokoun after next year (they're suprisingly hard up against the cap, and have decisions to make in 2010/11), will they ride Clemmensen until Markstrom is ready (doubt he'll jump right in as a starter anyways, but I guess you'll never know)?

And if Phoenix thinks of shedding a few bucks next year, and thinks a young Halak could challenge Labarbera (no real prospects in the system that I'm aware of), maybe they don't re-sign Bryzgalol.

Similar thing could happen in San Jose depending on how their UFA situation shakes down next year, and whether or not they want to go with a decently expensive Nabokov and how they see Greiss, Sexsmith (great name... yeah, I forge sweet lovin'), and Hateri coming along. Halak likely beats out Greiss for the starting job if Nabokov isn't brought back, and then it could be a few years before the other guys are knocking.

I still don't know how long St.Louis realistically runs with Mason/Conklin, and Allen is nowhere close, so I haven't closed my mind to a possibility there, despite reports.

Even if none of those are likely, or don't seem like obvious fits at first glance, you never know.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Kenny Powders

Dunno if it's been said here but, Micheal Leighton got claimed by the flyers, so there's no way Halak ends up there.

I really think the Oilers are in the run-up, Halak vs Cogliano straigh up

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:23 PM
soldmysoul2rocknroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Exactly and the Leafs shouldn't ask for anything more then a 3rd round pick for Kaberle because they got him in the 6th or 7th anyways. They should be laughing all the way to the bank...sheesh. Its simple math people
Your comparing a goalie that Gainey can't trade (as far as everyone knows) to some of the best players in their respective positions.
Halak is a backup goalie with average stats, while St Louis and Kaberle are all star players.

soldmysoul2rocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
You also have to take into account that a) Philly is much better organization than T.B., a team that bleeds money b) has never given up a lot for a goaltender, nevermind a guy who just scored 45 goals last year c) has a way better GM than T.B.
At the time of the trade, it was Jay Feaster who was the GM. I don`t think he was a bad GM by any means. I don`t think your first point is relevant but I do agree that Philly has never given up much for goalies. Again, I stated that I don`t think this trade will happen either way. It was just thinking out loud

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:34 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viau View Post
Tired of hearing all the Flyers fans ******** on Halak and us ; how about getting Frolov?
Clearly you dont follow LA at all do you?

Jon Quick just happens to be the 'tender with the highest amount of wins in the NHL.

Just sayin'

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Year 101

Just a couple possibilities Edmonton? I know they have Dubnyk and Jeff drouis but there are reports saying that Khabi may be out for the season. Bob was also said to be looking at Cogliano. The philly story is very obvious and they are caplocked for many years and will be in big trouble, it would be smart for them to trade for Halak just because they could sign him as an RFA for a pretty reasonable amount if he plays well and that sustains one part of their issue. The only thing I can see happening is perhaps Simon Gagne because they do need to move him because of Cap but for one montreal would also have to make a big move to sustain him and two I doubt Jaro is worth Simon 1:1 though the cap hits and age may play a part.

Year 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfk711 View Post
I.m against helping Philly by trading Halak there unless Gainey can get something really good in return. Why help a team take you out of the playoffs?
Exactly. If Halak gets traded during the season, I think it will be out of the Conference so he doesn`t get us during the year. The biggest possibility for a Halak trade to happen is at the draft where people place premiums on young players. We can parlay halak to a low first round pick, hopefully.....

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:

By that logic the Wings should be happy letting Datsyuk go for a 2nd

I don't expect a huge return, but package Halak with a guy like Weber and maybe a pick of our own, and I don't see how we can't land a pretty good player

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Not really. The possibilities could be much more extensive as we have no insight into the strategies of the other GMs out there. I listed quite a few possible criteria, after all. And we're probably talking about somewhere that Halak will sign for roughly 2/3 years at first. I don't think anyone is going to be looking to sign him to a 5+ year contract right of the bat...

Thinking a bit outside the box though, how about Edmonton? Sure Khabi's a really good goaltender. Certainly much more proven than Halak. But with so many important RFAs to sign (likely to decent raises; Gagner, Cogliano, Brule, Grebeshkov), have two young goalies that they have to decide on, and are already pressed up against the cap and have 44 mil committed to only 13 skaters next year... maybe trading a 37 year old Khabibulin before his contract expires and replacing him with Halak if they suspect he could beat out both young guys.

Not saying that's likely, just thinking outside the box.

Another outside the box is Florida. If they don't want, or think they can afford Vokoun after next year (they're suprisingly hard up against the cap, and have decisions to make in 2010/11), will they ride Clemmensen until Markstrom is ready (doubt he'll jump right in as a starter anyways, but I guess you'll never know)?

And if Phoenix thinks of shedding a few bucks next year, and thinks a young Halak could challenge Labarbera (no real prospects in the system that I'm aware of), maybe they don't re-sign Bryzgalol.

Similar thing could happen in San Jose depending on how their UFA situation shakes down next year, and whether or not they want to go with a decently expensive Nabokov and how they see Greiss, Sexsmith (great name... yeah, I forge sweet lovin'), and Hateri coming along. Halak likely beats out Greiss for the starting job if Nabokov isn't brought back, and then it could be a few years before the other guys are knocking.

I still don't know how long St.Louis realistically runs with Mason/Conklin, and Allen is nowhere close, so I haven't closed my mind to a possibility there, despite reports.

Even if none of those are likely, or don't seem like obvious fits at first glance, you never know.
Well said, there are a bunch of teams out there that might find themselves (or are already in) the cap crunch, and will look to Halak as being the perfect tonic for any salary woes they may be in. Also, there very well could be a team out there that really likes Halak, and might be willing to give a little more to avoid another team from getting him. You never can underestimate the power of pro scouting.

All in all, i think its good that Gainey gets the word out now that he's shopping Halak. A little bidding war can't hurt. Part of me would like to wait to trade Halak, at least until after we see in Pouliot and Gionta in the lineup. I think it would be counter productive to pickup another contract when it might not be necessary.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
Clearly you dont follow LA at all do you?

Jon Quick just happens to be the 'tender with the highest amount of wins in the NHL.

Just sayin'
Wins are a team thing, not an individual thing.

Just sayin'

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Biggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Why does he deserve to have a starting job?
My thought exactly, even in the games he won he got alot of offense most of the time and he wasn't exactly awesome, other than the Sens game he was descent and the one against ATL awhile back, I still am not sure how much he would start anywhere else and who would we get back in return unless we package him.

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Year 101

Something I wouldn't take too seriously but albeit interesting.

http://*************.com/2009/12/aff...er-room-split/

This one is out of the bizarre rumor mill, however, a credible source told “*************” a possible affair could be the reason the Flyers locker room appears to be split this season.

According to the source Jeff Carter had an affair with Scott Hartnell’s wife and the entire locker room is split over the situation.

If this is true the question must be asked, could a trade of one of the two players be the only remedy for such a problem?

Also in other Flyers Wives gossip, Danny Brierre is rumored to be close to getting a divorce with his wife.

Too bad for Tiger Woods no one cares about hockey, this story could get just as ugly.

Year 101 is offline   Reply With Quote