HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Make 2 moves to fix the Blue Jackets

Old
12-15-2009, 03:08 PM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Seems like this thread is veering dangerously off-topic.
Sorry, feel free to delete my post(s).

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:33 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Capn, please. I'm not "accepting" anything. I'm sure Howson is really going to listen if I cancel my season tickets (Priest would, but big deal there) or jump up and down and yell at him in his office. I have voiced my concerns at a few opportunities. That is the extent of my influence, short of coming up with a few hundered million and buying the team.
When your immediate response to any attempt to significantly upgrade this team is "We can't do that we're the Columbus Blue Jackets," then its a self-fullfilling prophecy. Until there is a groundswell from the fans of this team at large, they'll keep putting out the same old crappy product and as long as people give them a free pass because "we're a budget team" they will keep operating on an unrealistic budget. They may not listen to one fan's admonition, but they will do a better job of listening when they see 8,000 empty seats. A team like the Leafs can treat the fans with indifference knowing they can get a sellout no matter what. This team had best learn they don't have that luxury. Message to Blue Jackets ownership--Treat us right or you'll soon find out that you haven't hit rock bottom yet with your financial losses to date. You can ignore me, but you won't be able to ignore the continued loss of casual fans and the coming crap storm from ticked off season ticket holders who have had enough.

Quote:
Come up with something reasonable and believable and I'll jump on the bandwagon. Continue with stuff like, dump Juice for cap room (most everyone is trying to get cap room) and I'll continue to point out how pointless of a suggestion that is. You might be able to move him, but teams are going to want you to take back most or more of his payroll in return. And you'll probably end up with another defect in return.
Howson's mistake, his job to fix it. The Doug excuse is gone. He signed morons like Huselius and Commodore, figure a way to find a bigger sucker out there willing to take them. There are teams like the Isles, Nashville and Phoenix who do have plenty of cap space and who might be in a playoff race. Perhaps a team like Nashville is willing to take a goal scorer like Huselius. Either way, Howson created this mess, now its time for him to fix it. Otherwise, the next guy will.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:39 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Though it will never happen, I'd like to replace Mike Priest with, you guessed it - Doug MacLean. Say what you will, but the guy could sell tickets and put on a show. Howson would be his straight man. If nothing else, their relationship would likely beat the entertainment on the ice.

Oh, I almost forgot the second thing - fire Hitch.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:43 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

1. trade rick nash to toronto for luke schenn, nazem kadri, and 2011 1sr round pick.
2. bring back filatov and trade a 1st or 2nd-whichever nashville wants (sorry) for radulov

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:53 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
When your immediate response to any attempt to significantly upgrade this team is "We can't do that we're the Columbus Blue Jackets," then its a self-fullfilling prophecy.
This would make sense, at all, if I had any input on the decision making process. I use the limited influence I have.

Quote:
Until there is a groundswell from the fans of this team at large, they'll keep putting out the same old crappy product and as long as people give them a free pass because "we're a budget team" they will keep operating on an unrealistic budget.
Here, let me get out my pitchfork and march on Nationwide. Who's with me? I'll be sure to yell at the ownership group rep (probably Priest) at the next season ticket holder meeting that they aren't losing enough money. I'll give them the Capn super cool spreadsheet on his estimation on return on investment. I'm sure they will give it all due consideration after they get done laughing. After all I'm sure the true costs will be somewhere within around +/- 50% of your estimates.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 04:02 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I'll be sure to yell at the ownership group rep (probably Priest) at the next season ticket holder meeting that they aren't losing enough money.
In my estimation, you don't have the guts to even talk to Priest without addressing him as, sir. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Quote:
I'll give them the Capn super cool spreadsheet on his estimation on return on investment. I'm sure they will give it all due consideration after they get done laughing. After all I'm sure the true costs will be somewhere within around +/- 50% of your estimates.
It doesn't take a math wiz to figure out that a half empty arena generates 50% (or less since a portion of costs are fixed, etc.) revenue than one filled to capacity. That's something they're going to be learning a lot about if they keep following their current Mickey Mouse operations standard. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Old
12-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Skraut

Quote:
It doesn't take a math wiz to figure out that a half empty arena generates 50% (or less since a portion of costs are fixed, etc.) revenue than one filled to capacity. That's something they're going to be learning a lot about if they keep following their current Mickey Mouse operations standard. Penny wise, pound foolish.
Apparently it does, because this statement is wrong. There are other sources of income for the team, Corporate Sponsorships, Licensing, Merchandise, The atrocious FSNOH deal.

A half empty arena will generate less, yes, but not half less as you suggest.

It'd probably be closer to 75-80% of the revenue of a filled arena.

It was actually higher than that at the Race Track I worked at.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 04:34 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Apparently it does, because this statement is wrong. There are other sources of income for the team, Corporate Sponsorships, Licensing, Merchandise, The atrocious FSNOH deal.

A half empty arena will generate less, yes, but not half less as you suggest.

It'd probably be closer to 75-80% of the revenue of a filled arena.

It was actually higher than that at the Race Track I worked at.
Did I really need to specify that I was talking about "Arena Specific Revenue"? Would you like the exact line item from the team's GAAP income statements?

Do you think that this team is generating a lot in licensing and merchandise at the moment? Nothing sells better than jerseys for a losing team! They're going to have to resort to a third jersey next year out of necessity.

Old
12-15-2009, 07:08 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Well, since Marleau is a UFA, perhaps you can explain to us what San Jose should get for him.

As for Phaneuf, I believe my exact words were:

So, tell me, how with that very broad deal criteria Calgary gets nothing.
Oh sure, he could get Phaneuf. I suspect it will take something like Brassard + Filatov + Moore + 2010 1st round pick. Alternately, maybe Filatov + Umberger +Moore + 2010 1st.

Go look at the Pronger to the Flyers deal. Pronger is 35 years old and was a pending UFA. The Flyers shipped defenseman Luca Sbisa (the defenseman the Fyers took with the first the Jackets sent for Umberger), forward Joffrey Lupul and two first-round picks: 2009's No. 21 and the Flyers 2010 first-round pick. Anaheim also received a conditional third-round pick in one of the next two seasons.

You wouldn't complain if he did that right?

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 08:25 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Oh sure, he could get Phaneuf. I suspect it will take something like Brassard + Filatov + Moore + 2010 1st round pick. Alternately, maybe Filatov + Umberger +Moore + 2010 1st.

Go look at the Pronger to the Flyers deal. Pronger is 35 years old and was a pending UFA. The Flyers shipped defenseman Luca Sbisa (the defenseman the Fyers took with the first the Jackets sent for Umberger), forward Joffrey Lupul and two first-round picks: 2009's No. 21 and the Flyers 2010 first-round pick. Anaheim also received a conditional third-round pick in one of the next two seasons.

You wouldn't complain if he did that right?
You assume that the Pronger trade has set the market and that it wasn't an outlier based on specific facts. Yes, Pronger is older than Phaneuf, but he's also possibly the best defenseman in the league. He helped 2 different teams get to the Stanley Cup Finals. Phaneuf has made it to the Cup once.

Beyond that, two first round picks? Done. They can have picks in 2011 and 2012, particulary if we end up in the lottery for this season. This team has plenty of young players, so going a couple years without a draft pick is not a huge concern for me. Filatov? No problem. Its the fourth piece that could be the sticking point.

Again, if the Jackets somehow end up picking in the lottery, suddenly guys like Brassard or Moore might be expendable. If we're picking outside the lottery, its a more difficult decision.

Ideally, I'd want to lock up Marleau before making the move because then Brassard might be expendable, and getting rid of his $3 million in salary would be helpful to stay under the cap. Umberger is one guy I'd prefer to keep, but it would all depend on how the negotiations worked out as far as the alternatives and what other deals might have been made in the interim.

Ultimately though, I'd just like to see Howson at least get into a conversation about acquiring someone like Phaneuf. Show some of the dealmaker talents he flashed early on in the Richards trade proposal. Remember, we were talking about dealing 4 assets in that trade...and we had a lot less to work with at that point.

And, as always, I reserve the right to complain based on the circumstances at the time. I mean, that's the whole point of a discussion board.

Old
12-15-2009, 08:27 PM
letsgojackets

I am going to keep it simple:

1 - Send Blunden to Syracuse, recall Picard.

2 - Claim Ward on waivers.

Explanations:

1 - This team lacks desperation/passion. Blunden has been here all season and has obviously done nothing to insert himself in the line up. Picard played one game and was noticeable. Play the guy that realizes that he has one more shot at the NHL with the team that drafted him. I think that he deserved the spot out of camp.

2 - The defense has no edge. I have top agree with Hitch on missing Klesla. By edge, I do not mean mal-intent to the other team. I mean a player that does not care if he is hurt, he comes back out and hits someone. Commodore played this way last year. Rusty did in the playoffs and early this year. This group needs a leader.

Other moves I would add if I could do more than 2:

3 - Give Garon extended duty. Make Mason earn his ice time.

4 - Send a forward on an ELC back to Syracuse and sign a Peca to a 2-way deal. He would probably resist but I think that his clashes with Hitch last year were good. You need a veteran to be able to take the wrath of the coach and carry the message to the team.

5 - Pull a Jason Williams type deal out of the hat. Basically get a vet that has something left in the tank/prove for something that we can afford to lose. Although this year I would want a Recchi/Guerin type of player (not that player specifically). I wish that I had a name to add to this but I don't have one that would be available. Players that come to mind are Modano or Tkachuk. Again, not available.

letsgojackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Watching Gone With the Wind tonight, when seeing Atlanta burning to the ground I couldn't help but think of the Blue Jackets...

Anyway, the Jackets need a center, two defenseman, a starting goalie and some heart.. any names will do.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote