HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How old is too old to learn to play hockey....

Old
12-15-2009, 08:58 PM
ShannMC17

vCash: 500
How old is too old to learn to play hockey....

So I was wondering if anyone thinks that there is an age where it's just impossible to learn how to play hockey. I'm 22 years old, and I have recently decided that I want to learn how to play hockey, I know it's going to be hard but I am determined to learn how to play. I don't want to just watch the game anymore, I want to be involved. Just finished my first skating lessons and now I'm going to take an intro to hockey class.

So all in all I'm just wondering if anyone else has learned to play hockey at my age?

ShannMC17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:03 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannMC17 View Post
So I was wondering if anyone thinks that there is an age where it's just impossible to learn how to play hockey. I'm 22 years old, and I have recently decided that I want to learn how to play hockey, I know it's going to be hard but I am determined to learn how to play. I don't want to just watch the game anymore, I want to be involved. Just finished my first skating lessons and now I'm going to take an intro to hockey class.

So all in all I'm just wondering if anyone else has learned to play hockey at my age?
When I went to my first hockey school, there was a 55 year old lady learning how to play.

If she can do it then you can too. Just make sure you can skate before you go there.

At a minimum, you should know how to skate forward in a straight line, skate backwards in a straight line, snowplow stop, and do crossovers. It doesn't matter if you're slow, stumbly, or if you fall alot doing them... you should just be comfortable enough on your skates to be able to attempt these things.

If not, I'd recommend spending some more time learning how to skate.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:06 PM
ShannMC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
When I went to my first hockey school, there was a 55 year old lady learning how to play.

If she can do it then you can too. Just make sure you can skate before you go there.

At a minimum, you should know how to skate forward in a straight line, skate backwards in a straight line, snowplow stop, and do crossovers. It doesn't matter if you're slow, stumbly, or if you fall alot doing them... you should just be comfortable enough on your skates to be able to attempt these things.

If not, I'd recommend spending some more time learning how to skate.
55? That gives me hope!
I can do all of those things, not anywhere near perfect, still need to work on them of course.

Old
12-15-2009, 09:16 PM
noobman

Quote:
55? That gives me hope!
I can do all of those things, not anywhere near perfect, still need to work on them of course.

You sound like you're ready for a beginner level hockey school. If it's anything like the one I went to, most of your time will be spent on skating. A lot of it will probably be working on the individual skating skills, then using them in combination later in the course.

Given your described skating ability, that will be perfect for you. Of course, you'll probably get some time working on your stickhandling, shooting, and maybe some shinny time if you're lucky!

Just be careful.... hockey becomes hopelessly addictive once you start improving!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:22 PM
ShannMC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post

You sound like you're ready for a beginner level hockey school. If it's anything like the one I went to, most of your time will be spent on skating. A lot of it will probably be working on the individual skating skills, then using them in combination later in the course.

Given your described skating ability, that will be perfect for you. Of course, you'll probably get some time working on your stickhandling, shooting, and maybe some shinny time if you're lucky!

Just be careful.... hockey becomes hopelessly addictive once you start improving!
I'm so ready! :-D I can't wait to learn!

Yea, I think the class focuses on skating skills for the first couple of weeks and then introduces stickhandling and shooting skills towards the end.

Hockey is one addiction I'm not worried about having, actually I look forward to it.

Old
12-15-2009, 10:24 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Met a 65 year old playing hockey that learned how to play at 63.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:26 PM
thedoc1019

I'm 15 and I'm just starting, but I have more skating experience then you because i've been rollerblading for a year now and ice skating is coming quite easy to me.Just try to skate as much as possible and you'll pick up the basics in no time

thedoc1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

We taught a few guys (that were good skaters) how to play in the university rec league. Body condition notwithstanding, I don't think you're ever too old depending on what your goals are.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:03 PM
blueberrydanish

Nope, only way you are too old is if you are 6 feet under hah. Find proper fitting equipment and GET YO ASS ON THE ICE!~

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Hockeyfan68

I have news for you .... 22 years old isn't too old to do anything new. The post actually made me laugh because I am over 40. I was expecting someone around my age or older asking this question about too old to learn to play hockey.

Now be quiet and go learn and have fun at it.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:28 PM
hemsky88

It is never too old to start playing hockey.

hemsky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:04 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

You're never too old. I started playing at 22 after only skating on ice 3, maybe 4, times in my life (although I have roller bladed/inline skated most of my life). Get out there and get the feel of ice skating.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:51 AM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
I play with a guy at shinny that started at 40. He's been playing for 5 years now. The biggest problem for people starting late is getting the fundamentals down. There's a lack of fluidity to their game. Start ASAP. It only gets harder so pony up and get out there. Try and find a low level rec league or shinny and get your feet wet. The first couple weeks suck, but when you feel your game start to come together, it's a blast.

I've been on and off for a couple years now and decided this year to get out a couple times a week and now that my skating, puck handling, vision and positioning is all coming together and trust me I couldn't be having any more fun. Join an older mens league if possible (30+). Don't play with other 20 year olds, they compete and try too hard. When you play with the older guys, they'll generally give you opportunities to play the puck and go for a skate. Too many times I see the weaker players in my age group league just get buried because everyone is out for themselves. Go out there and have fun. It's never too late.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:18 AM
ShannMC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAShoesm View Post
I play with a guy at shinny that started at 40. He's been playing for 5 years now. The biggest problem for people starting late is getting the fundamentals down. There's a lack of fluidity to their game. Start ASAP. It only gets harder so pony up and get out there. Try and find a low level rec league or shinny and get your feet wet. The first couple weeks suck, but when you feel your game start to come together, it's a blast.

I've been on and off for a couple years now and decided this year to get out a couple times a week and now that my skating, puck handling, vision and positioning is all coming together and trust me I couldn't be having any more fun. Join an older mens league if possible (30+). Don't play with other 20 year olds, they compete and try too hard. When you play with the older guys, they'll generally give you opportunities to play the puck and go for a skate. Too many times I see the weaker players in my age group league just get buried because everyone is out for themselves. Go out there and have fun. It's never too late.
Yea, I definitely get what you are saying about fundamentals. And I plan on joining a women's rec league once I'm done with my class.

Thanks to everyone too for being so helpful! And optimistic!

Old
12-16-2009, 01:41 AM
ju87

To echo the above-poster's thought, 22 is not too old to start anything new ! Unless your objective is to play pro hockey.

I started at 29. We have beginners come out who are in their 40's.

ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:28 AM
jmacie3

Im 23 and have 7 or so intro to hockey classes under my belt. The hardest thing to me is making sure you can fit in the classes to your schedule. I was really dedicated to finally learn so it's been no problem for me. It was frustrating at first falling all the time, but it's amazing how much you can develop in a short amount of time. My next step is being capable to play in a C league or something or joining in for rat hockey and not feeling so overwhelmed.

jmacie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:45 AM
izzy3

I'm 36 and going to hockey training since 4 weeks. Admitted it's quite wierd to practice the same basic skills as the 6 year olds standing next to you (and actually fall more).

Other than that it's a blast, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Pretty soon you'll be breathing, eating, dreaming, living hockey.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:56 AM
Frankie Spankie

No age is too old to learn or play! I just turned 21 and started skating at 17. I play hockey on one team with 3 people in their 60s. Take the classes if you can and start with pick up hours if you know somebody in one. You'll get better the more you play.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:26 AM
vexXed

Quote:

Ha I thought I was going to see the numbers '45' instead of '22' when I read that...

You started out by taking classes which is the smart thing to do. Focusing on your skating is the main aspect that will get you further than those who only practice their shooting. I started at 20 but couldn't even skate so I went with a freind to learn 2-3 times a week falling over constantly trying to learn how to stop. I was determined and picked up backward crossovers and stopping pretty quickly though. Now been playing for 6 years and I couldn't ever see myself stopping - love it. GO for it! Keep going to the classes and eventually you can get your own gear and play in a scrimmage or game - make sure you research the fitting of everything, especially skates. Good luck to you and have fun!

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:57 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Never too old

As you work on things, never underestimate the power of off-ice workouts. Puckhandling and shooting at home every day will do wonders in the longterm. Some people think they need a nice, clean, zambonied sheet of ice in order to have an effective practice.

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 07:41 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURedHawk View Post
Puckhandling and shooting at home every day will do wonders in the longterm.
So true.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 07:47 AM
maci4life

take the power skating courses and you'll be good to go in no time. I knew how to skate since i was little but never started playing ice hockey until, 7 years ago so i was 25 ish. i had a lot of problems balancing and body positioning with a stick and puck as well as balancing when being leaned on and working against the boards ( or in front of the net ).

it's one thing to be able to skate, and quite the other to have that balance while playing hockey. power skating will help you with that. I wish i took it because there's only so much you can graps with shinny or playing rec.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:46 AM
wearethegreek

Quote:

Your body, physically will tell you. The mind probably would play hockey all day if it could.

Since you're 22 you're probably not in a weary shape (unless you're either way frail or way huge), and should have no problem getting into the game. Don't expect to ever be as instinctively good as the "few great" kids you'll play with who are always stars..they've had experience for probably 18 years or so on you as far as skating goes, and growing up as a hockey player provides instincts you can't find anywhere else.

BUT don't get discouraged, because you can learn the fundamentals and physical aspect of it from trainers and clinics...do all of those you can. Go to stick and pucks, open hockeys....don't be afraid of open hockeys. Try to go to the early morning ones, it's usually chill working guys or college kids like me who don't want to worry too much about making mistakes or keeping up...the younger speedy guys often go late nights and meet up with friends.

Another big thing is don't just focus on the physical aspect of the game. Practice stickhandling while you're watching TV, but when you watch hockey make note of the little things, how the PROS use their edges to control how they move, how they tend to skate in an almost semi circular manner sometimes to keep momentum, how they lean their bodies, where there heads look, where they position their bodies to always see the puck.

If you've been playing the NHL series for a while you may already have a basic instinct for the game, being mentally prepared and IN the game are just as important as being physically ready.

I highly recommend the following:

Books on hockey technique
Instructional videos on hockey technique
NEVER TURNING DOWN A LESSON! Even if you learn something "wrong" or you don't like, the more knowledge you have the better!

Eventually you will develop a play style all your own and you must play to that. This is also important. If you are big and not speedy, don't try to be marian gaborik or st. louis...be a rick nash or a mike grier. Use your body to shield the puck if you've got a big one, but if you're small and have quick hands be agile and fast.

Play to your strengths, ALWAYS play a team game and for extra homework go back through the past 25 or so pages of this specific forum. You will find that many questions you may encounter are already answered in detail here, and even better that you may learn stuff that you have yet to deal with so that when it does come time to, it comes naturally.

And I guess most importantly, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have fun. If they game isn't fun, it isn't worth playing. Unless you're getting paid to do it. But it already sounds like you've seen enough to draw you to the other side of the glass, so lace em up, skate hard, be modest in learning but celebrant when you succeed. Hockey is a lot like life.

Ups and downs and weird bounces that change everything, heartbreak and beauty, blood, sweat tears and hard work will end you up in a good place: at the very least you set a goal for yourself and are now one step closer to completion.

Welcome to the family!

Last edited by wearethegreek: 12-16-2009 at 08:51 AM.
wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:24 AM
ShannMC17

Thanks everyone!

So I officially signed up for my class, starts Jan. 9! Can't wait!

Old
12-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Pog Form

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

So I officially signed up for my class, starts Jan. 9! Can't wait!
Awesome! Congrats and good luck. I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote