HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Post-Game #32: Flyers @ Penguins - December 15, 2009

Old
12-15-2009, 09:16 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Instead of Coburn? Yeah, sure. Coburn can barely play hockey at all, period. Let alone the PP. Might as well give the responsibility to one of our better d-men (especially considering how often we give up breakaways while on the PP...).
Bartulis > Parent on the PP

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Also, your guess is as good as mine as to what the hell is wrong with this team.
Here's what is wrong...

Locker room
some players <---------------------------------------------->other players

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:18 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's going to take about 10 games for everything to come together. Right now, the Flyers are at game 6 of 10. We've seen in the Boston game that they can be world beaters if they want to be. Now is the time to not make any sort of panic moves and deal a Carter for someone like Kaberle or Turco. A young guy like Carter needs to play through his slump. As well, guys like Hartnell are getting less and less ice time. Hartnell was around the 14 minute mark this evening, so it's clear that Laviolette is getting tired of the typical Hartnell game and that he expects more from him. Guys like Parent are getting 18 to 20 minutes of ice time a game and it's showing that he can be a real player.

As others have pointed out, the Flyers are two points out of a playoff spot with 2 games in hand on the 8th place team. On top of it, there are six games coming up that can be winnable. If the Flyers win those six games, they're back on a roll and momentum is a very funny thing. Definitely not the time to overreact.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
HoverCarle*

06-07 was more understandable since our team was pretty crappy outside of Foppa and Gagne.

This is just absurd

Old
Amateur Hour

Well, at least we made the Pens work for that win. Oh, wait...

The most telling part about tonight was that after the Carcillo goal, the Pens came right back with a great, pressure-filled shift that hemmed us in our own zone for almost a minute. Soon thereafter, Staal scored that SH goal to regain the momentum and effectively put the game away. That's what good teams do, they put an inferior team right back in its place immediately following any kind of surge that builds some confidence. The Pens are good -- very good. We are terrible... at least right now. Still, there's too much talent on this team to jump ship. I'm going to be patient and wait for things to play out. Hopefully the guys can snap out of this slump and realize their potential, like they did at the beginning of the season.

Our best players just aren't our best players right now. Richards and Carter have been damn near invisible, and Pronger is starting to look slower with each passing game. Coburn has regressed at a startling rate. When Dan Carcillo and Jon Kalinski are your best players on the ice against a team like the Penguins, you should expect to lose 6-1 almost every time.

Last edited by Amateur Hour: 12-15-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:19 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
And by the way, I'm not really on or off the Lavy wagon, but these new lines absolutely blow ass.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:21 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
I think the mods should lock all the threads until the Flyers win a game or **** like what happened in today's GDT are only going to get worse.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
I think the mods should lock all the threads until the Flyers win a game or **** like what happened in today's GDT are only going to get worse.
What happened? Apparently I missed the page it was on.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Is anyone surprised that this happened? I'm a little relieved, i thought it'd be 7 or 8.

Hartnell is just a liability out there right now.
I'm not surprised. We were playing like the crappiest team in the league+we were playing the best team in the East (who happens to have a superstar center that owns us)=devestation. I'd be surprised if anyone thought any differently heading into the game. This is why I never go to Flyers-Penguins games (although I have to go to the Thursday game). They own us the majority of the time (even when we have a good team) so it's just not worth the risk of going.

Also, Hartnell is just as much a liability as Coburn at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Bartulis > Parent on the PP
True. I forgot about him. Then again the question was whether I would put Parent in over Coburn.

I'm completely baffled that Coburn continues to get PP time and 2nd line minutes. Almost as bad as Cote getting ice-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Here's what is wrong...

Locker room
Meh. There's no way of knowing that outside of actually being in the locker room (which I doubt you are =P). I could say that the entire team is distracted by Cote's hot wife and it could be just as legitimate as saying that there's a divide in the locker room.

Really that's just a scape-goat for our crappy play because there really aren't many probably explanations. I just think that the team isn't gelling and that Holmgrem should have made a coaching change at the beginning of the year when we didn't have a game every other day.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:24 PM
mypunkrock

To be fair, Coburn is probably hurting, and whatever magical "flight issues" prevented Syvret from coming up better not happen again Thursday.

Something is going on with some of these injuries, and we're not hearing it...

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
And by the way, I'm not really on or off the Lavy wagon, but these new lines absolutely blow ass.
We all know my stance, and I'm fine with Lavio if it's for the betterment for the team, but I'm not sold.

And yes, his line options are interesting.

I've also, as seen tonight, have yet to see some accountability.

Old
12-15-2009, 09:27 PM

Too early to blame Lavio by far. The coasting wasters on the ice are to blame.

1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:27 PM
PhilaFlyers

Good game by the Flyers tonight!

Seriously they better win Thursday.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:30 PM
HoverCarle*

I dont blame Lavy at this point. Its not his fault Pronger fell, Boucher got beat easy, Coburn sucks, Hartnell tries cross ices passes too much.

He does need to bump COburn down to the third pairing though

Old
12-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's going to take about 10 games for everything to come together. Right now, the Flyers are at game 6 of 10. We've seen in the Boston game that they can be world beaters if they want to be. Now is the time to not make any sort of panic moves and deal a Carter for someone like Kaberle or Turco. A young guy like Carter needs to play through his slump. As well, guys like Hartnell are getting less and less ice time. Hartnell was around the 14 minute mark this evening, so it's clear that Laviolette is getting tired of the typical Hartnell game and that he expects more from him. Guys like Parent are getting 18 to 20 minutes of ice time a game and it's showing that he can be a real player.

As others have pointed out, the Flyers are two points out of a playoff spot with 2 games in hand on the 8th place team. On top of it, there are six games coming up that can be winnable. If the Flyers win those six games, they're back on a roll and momentum is a very funny thing. Definitely not the time to overreact.
They weren't playing well enough to be considered "world beaters" that game. The Penguins are world beaters. Hell, we got lucky that the game didn't go into OT (the disallowed goal mainly, but the Bruins also missed some empty nets).

Hell, we beat the Islanders 6-2, but that doesn't mean we have the ability to be "world beaters". It just means that we beat the Islanders.

I'm not denying that we have to be patient and see what happens, I'm just saying that that Boston game didn't really prove anything at all, except that having Parent paired with Timonen is awesome.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
We all know my stance, and I'm fine with Lavio if it's for the betterment for the team, but I'm not sold.

And yes, his line options are interesting.

I've also, as seen tonight, have yet to see some accountability.
Hartnell should be on thin ice but Carcillo has bought into the system. I don't think anyone can deny that.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:36 PM
smacklby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Well, at least we made the Pens work for that win. Oh, wait...

The most telling part about tonight was that after the Carcillo goal, the Pens came right back with a great, pressure-filled shift that hemmed us in our own zone for almost a minute. Soon thereafter, Staal scored that SH goal to regain the momentum and effectively put the game away. That's what good teams do, they put an inferior team right back in its place immediately following any kind of surge that builds some confidence. The Pens are good -- very good. We are terrible... at least right now. Still, there's too much talent on this team to jump ship. I'm going to be patient and wait for things to play out. Hopefully the guys can snap out of this slump and realize their potential, like they did at the beginning of the season.

Our best players just aren't our best players right now. Richards and Carter have been damn near invisible, and Pronger is starting to look slower with each passing game. Coburn has regressed at a startling rate. When Dan Carcillo and Jon Kalinski are your best players on the ice against a team like the Penguins, you should expect to lose 6-1 almost every time.
good points; except i stop watching after the 3rd Penguins goal; i have no idea what the game was like after that.... lol.

hate to say it, but i saw this coming, and i do NOT see it changing, regardless of what managment does. this team needs to be disolved; it is disfunctional, and i dont see that changing without breaking up the team.

smacklby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Hartnell should be on thin ice but Carcillo has bought into the system. I don't think anyone can deny that.
Hartnell is a goof.

Carcillo has been one of the better players this season, and is fulfilling his contract and role, IMO.

Old
12-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Hartnell is a ********. He has a good shot so god knows why he would dish it over to the cluster**** that was his linemates for a turnover, when he could've just buried it. But no, his dog brain gets the best of him and boom, 2 goal swing.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Black Ice

I haven't read all of the post so I don't know if this has been said or not but when this team falls back, too often they fall to pieces and start doing dumb crap. They don't handle adversity well at all and IMO, some of the supposed locker room problems could be from them snapping at each other for the lousy play on ice. I'm still hopeful that Lavi (I'm not crazy about his nicknames so far) and his system can turn this crew around.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:51 PM
nosnhoj

Quote:
Here's what is wrong...

Locker room
I dismissed this idea at first, but the longer this goes on the more I think this is pretty close to the truth. It's pretty depressing.

As far as trades go, I'm still not hopping on that bandwagon, but Hartnell really needs to take a hint. The guy is just awful lately. Pronger looked terrible tonight, but outside of tonight he's been one of our best players all season. Coburn seemed better than he had in previous games, and had a nice poke check on Malkin. I'm really disappointed in Richards. I used to love that guy; thought he was something of Primeau-esque player. Hasn't looked like he's cared at all in weeks.

Last edited by nosnhoj: 12-15-2009 at 09:58 PM.
nosnhoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:53 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
I still think we can and will turn it around, but it sure as hell sucks to watch this team play right now. Tonight there were a lot of things, but you just cannot win when your goaltender lets in that many soft goals

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:53 PM
PhilaFlyers

We need Steve Downie back to start a fight at practice. Maybe that would get the team going.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Carcillo has been one of the better players this season, and is fulfilling his contract and role, IMO.
Carcillo played a great game tonight. Hit everything that moved, made good plays with the puck, scored our only goal and almost a second one...

Where are all the 'if Carcillo's played his last game' threads now????

Laviolette showed him all right - the keys to the penthouse.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 09:55 PM
TheLegendkiller

That game was one of the worst things I've ever watched....I don't think I've ever been more ashamed to be a Flyers fan.

So why was the original GDT thread closed?

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote