HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post-Game #32: Flyers @ Penguins - December 15, 2009

Old
12-15-2009, 11:28 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
And by the way, I'm not really on or off the Lavy wagon, but these new lines absolutely blow ass.
cant realy blame him for trying something different.
I mean for how long now has the offense blown ass?

This is just a bunch of heartless, gutless pukes right now.
save for a couple of guys on the 4th line
They played a great 3rd period in Boston. they showed they can step up and show they can take a game with desperation and some passion.
Tonite against our most hated rival they go out and completely **** the bed.
I am sick of it. to hell with being patient with the "this team has too much talent for this contunue" mentality.
Completely inexcusable.
Are some of the players still pouting over the fact that Stevens was fired?
You know what right about this point I want to find out who wants to play for Laviolette. If you dont want to play for him, GTFO.
I dont care who you are.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Different coach = same results/effort.
Which is the absolute worst possible scenario.

I've been preaching against making panic moves, and I still think patience is needed here. That said, with each passing game, its looking more and more probable that the core of this team is not capable of winning a championship. Losing is one thing, but a real championship calibre core does not lose games in that sort of embarrassing fashion for this long of a stretch.

Even worse, if management decides that's the case, then we will be moving players for pennies on the dollar. Its certainly a bad situation right now.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Voda

hang in there flyboys. it was bleak for the pens as late as february last year. it's still a long way to go. for some reason, i'm pulling for yinz. the playoffs just wouldn't be the same without a pit/phi matchup.

Voda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:44 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
If the players are that much heart broken about Stevens being fired, and players being traded, etc. They need to find themselves a new occupation, period.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:45 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
cant realy blame him for trying something different.
I mean for how long now has the offense blown ass?

This is just a bunch of heartless, gutless pukes right now.
save for a couple of guys on the 4th line
They played a great 3rd period in Boston. they showed they can step up and show they can take a game with desperation and some passion.
Tonite against our most hated rival they go out and completely **** the bed.
I am sick of it. to hell with being patient with the "this team has too much talent for this contunue" mentality.
Completely inexcusable.
Are some of the players still pouting over the fact that Stevens was fired?
You know what right about this point I want to find out who wants to play for Laviolette. If you dont want to play for him, GTFO.
I dont care who you are.
Well I mean, as I've said multiple times, before, we had the JVR-Carter-Briere line generating chances, now we have no lines generating chances, so that's fun.

I'd personally get JVR-Carter-Briere back together, put Hartnell in the bottom 6, and then maybe give Carcillo a shot with Richie-Giroux until we get healthy.

And I do think there are some guys pouting over Stevens firing (though I really don't think Carter is one of them) and those guys need to man up, accept it's a business, and start playing hard.

I don't think Pronger is pouting, but he's been playing like ass the past few games and that's unacceptable from your best player in a time of transition.

Last edited by FlyHigh: 12-15-2009 at 11:51 PM.
FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 11:48 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

I'm all for giving Hartnell 4th line minutes.

He needs to learn from his mistakes. How many dumb penalties has he committed so far this year? Far too many for my liking.

Old
12-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I'm all for giving Hartnell 4th line minutes.
I'm all for giving him a view from the press box. And he's not the only one.

Hell, if we're gonna lose games 8-2 or 6-1, then we might as well lose those games with some AHL players who are at least happy to bust their ass for 60 minutes.

I never thought I could be more embarrassed of a team than I was of the 2006-07 version, but I was mistaken. This team is so much more pathetic, considering the talent on this roster. Absolutely shameful...

Old
12-15-2009, 11:58 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Well I mean, as I've said multiple times, before, we had the JVR-Carter-Briere line generating chances, now we have no lines generating chances, so that's fun.

I'd personally get JVR-Carter-Briere back together, put Hartnell in the bottom 6, and then maybe give Carcillo a shot with Richie-Giroux until we get healthy.

And I do think there are some guys pouting over Stevens firing (though I really don't think Carter is one of them) and that guys need to man up, accept it's a business, and start playing hard.

I don't think Pronger is pouting, but he's been playing like ass the past few games and that's unacceptable from your best player in a time of transition.
I really cant believe Richards is playing the way he is. Of all the guys on this team I thought he would be the last one to act like he doesnt care. I am sure he does, but his actions on the ice for the most part say otherwise. Oh and I dont buy the injury excuse either. Remember last year? we found out both his shoulders were ****ed up for a good portian of the season. didnt stop him form scoring goals, playing physical ect.
I dont think Carter is one of the ones "pouting" over Stevens getting canned. He was playing like this under Stevens this season.
Pronger needs to be better. alot better.

Hartnell might be playing his way off this team. He is hurting this team more then helping it lately.

I think Coburn has caught "Pitkanenitis" He has alot of talent and can be a very good defenseman but cant handle adversity and is fragile menatally.

If this team doesnt come out with some emotion, some anger on Thursday night then they never will. what happened tonite is completely unacceptable.

Old
12-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Which is the absolute worst possible scenario.

I've been preaching against making panic moves, and I still think patience is needed here. That said, with each passing game, its looking more and more probable that the core of this team is not capable of winning a championship. Losing is one thing, but a real championship calibre core does not lose games in that sort of embarrassing fashion for this long of a stretch.

Even worse, if management decides that's the case, then we will be moving players for pennies on the dollar. Its certainly a bad situation right now.
It's funny because I came back to say that exact same thing.

Look at all of the best teams in the league. They don't go through stretches like this. They probably go through bad stretches and they definitely lose a few games in a row every once in a while, but it's never this bad. That's why they're top team.

I just don't think we will ever win a championship with this core sadly.

Also, why don't you ever post on the Flyers board ShadowFlyer? You make some great posts so it would be nice to see you over here every once in a while.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:16 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
I really cant believe Richards is playing the way he is. Of all the guys on this team I thought he would be the last one to act like he doesnt care. I am sure he does, but his actions on the ice for the most part say otherwise. Oh and I dont buy the injury excuse either. Remember last year? we found out both his shoulders were ****ed up for a good portian of the season. didnt stop him form scoring goals, playing physical ect.
I dont think Carter is one of the ones "pouting" over Stevens getting canned. He was playing like this under Stevens this season.
Pronger needs to be better. alot better.

Hartnell might be playing his way off this team. He is hurting this team more then helping it lately.

I think Coburn has caught "Pitkanenitis" He has alot of talent and can be a very good defenseman but cant handle adversity and is fragile menatally.

If this team doesnt come out with some emotion, some anger on Thursday night then they never will. what happened tonite is completely unacceptable.
I don't think Richie is not giving 100%, I just think he's feeling too much pressure, probably a lot of it self-generated, and it's affecting his play. He needs to relax and get back to doing what he does best.

Doesn't help that he's been saddled with a useless linemate (Hartnell) and now he's playing with Carter and Carcillo which is simply dumb by Laviolette.

EDIT: I should add that I also think Richie feels really guilty for Stevens getting fired, not saying he's pouting, but he probably feels responsible.

Last edited by FlyHigh: 12-16-2009 at 12:23 AM.
FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It's funny because I came back to say that exact same thing.

Look at all of the best teams in the league. They don't go through stretches like this. They probably go through bad stretches and they definitely lose a few games in a row every once in a while, but it's never this bad. That's why they're top team.

I just don't think we will ever win a championship with this core sadly.
Yea, I don't want to believe that this core isn't good enough. Who wants to believe that about their favorite team? But yea, at this point, I'm certainly not going to put up an argument against anyone who believes this core isn't good enough.

To me, a team coming off a much needed win, such as the Flyers were, should have been psyched to play a rival and take it to them the next game. Yea, its tough playing a team like that in back-to-back games, but a real championship core would have embraced that challenge in our situation. Certainly, one would think they would have at least put forth a quality effort, win or lose. Its disturbing to me that it didn't happen, and I'm really not that easily disturbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Also, why don't you ever post on the Flyers board ShadowFlyer? You make some great posts so it would be nice to see you over here every once in a while.
I appreciate the kind words. I do post in here from time to time, as well as the trade section, but I've learned to pick my spots (keeps me sane). Hopefully my next post will be much less on the negative side of things. We could all use some holiday cheer, and it would be nice if the Flyers could win a game or two to help with the cause =)

Old
12-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I don't think Richie is not giving 100%, I just think he's feeling too much pressure, probably a lot of it self-generated, and it's affecting his play. He needs to relax and get back to doing what he does best.

Doesn't help that he's been saddled with a useless linemate (Hartnell) and now he's playing with Carter and Carcillo which is simply dumb by Laviolette.
That's what I think. He's just over-thinking it and too involved in the whole situation himself. He needs to step away from himself and the situation in front of him and just focus on playing. Not the fear of losing or anything that may happen off the ice. Just focus on winning.

I like to imagine with Richards it's kind of like the quick sand argument from The Replacements (go to the 2 minute mark to see it).

Old
12-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Yea, I don't want to believe that this core isn't good enough. Who wants to believe that about their favorite team? But yea, at this point, I'm certainly not going to put up an argument against anyone who believes this core isn't good enough.

To me, a team coming off a much needed win, such as the Flyers were, should have been psyched to play a rival and take it to them the next game. Yea, its tough playing a team like that in back-to-back games, but a real championship core would have embraced that challenge in our situation. Certainly, one would think they would have at least put forth a quality effort, win or lose. Its disturbing to me that it didn't happen, and I'm really not that easily disturbed.

I appreciate the kind words. I do post in here from time to time, as well as the trade section, but I've learned to pick my spots (keeps me sane). Hopefully my next post will be much less on the negative side of things. We could all use some holiday cheer, and it would be nice if the Flyers could win a game or two to help with the cause =)
Since last year I've believed that the Flyers are just never set to play Pittsburgh, whether it be mentally or physically. I think giving up a 3-goal lead and losing the playoff series to them last year was the perfect example of that. So I'm not surprised that we came out flat. What's more disturbing to me is how long this losing streak has been going on (overlooking the Bruins and Islanders game, this has been a massive losing streak) and how badly they've played in it.

Your welcome for the kind words. Hopefully they win Thursday to make everyone Christmas a little brighter. Also, because I'll be there with a friend.

Maybe I can have some fun with some Pittsburgh fans if that game is as bad as this one.

Old
12-16-2009, 12:42 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:

EDIT: I should add that I also think Richie feels really guilty for Stevens getting fired, not saying he's pouting, but he probably feels responsible.
You may be right about Richards. I have been very crtitical of him and other members of this team of late. I like many fans around here are very frustrated by whats going on. Almost to the point of anger. Probably safe to say our frustration as fans pales in comparison to some of the players on this team.
If Richards feels responsible for Stevens getting fired I hope hes close to putting that behind him. This team needs him.

Old
12-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Opus

I don't care that they beat the Bruins, if you can't get up for the Penguins -- you have some serious ****ing motivational issues.

If each player brought the same intensity as Carcillo, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. Granted he's not the most talented guy on the team, but he generally 'brings it'.

At least he shows the ****ing effort.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:58 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Who would of though how many months ago, Carcillo would be where he has been . I know I didn't.

Old
12-16-2009, 01:14 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Who would of though how many months ago, Carcillo would be where he has been . I know I didn't.
I wouldn't saw that I thought with certainty that he would be where he is now, but I sure as hell knew he could and said so many times.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda View Post
hang in there flyboys. it was bleak for the pens as late as february last year. it's still a long way to go. for some reason, i'm pulling for yinz. the playoffs just wouldn't be the same without a pit/phi matchup.
Yeah you're right, Pitts wouldn't be guaranteed to win at least one round.

Side note: While this isn't news, I just have to say that Doc is absolutely the best play by play guy. I have noticed that commentators, through out the course of the game, tend to verbally blow the team they perceive to be stronger and pick apart the weaker team, particularly if the game is baring that idea out. And they do so to the exclusion of positives for the losing team and negative plays for the winning team. Emirick calls it very even.

As a response to the comments of some posters, I don't know that effort was the issue here tonight. Execution definitely was. Then again the Pens are one of the two best teams in the league. That combined with all the Flyers other issues at the moment and this is what you get.

When you're rolling as weak a bottom six as we are right now*, and you get to go into the champ's building and have them choosing match ups . . . it's not going to go well.

* IMO Nodl and Kalinski are not NHL level players (at all). Effort wise, sure, skill wise.......not so much. I like Pyorala's game, but like the other two, he is good for squat as far as creating anything offensively.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 12-16-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post

When you're rolling as weak a bottom six as we are right now*, and you get to go into the champ's building and have them choosing match ups . . . it's not going to go well.
It's worse when those bottom six guys are more effective on the ice that a lot of our top six guys.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Wolfy

Hahaha...what an embarrassing loss. And against the Pens, our biggest rivals..

But why am I here and not on the Pens board

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:33 AM
Sanders418777

We may not always get the W against Pitt for some odd reason, but I always feel we outplay them. Obviously not this game or a select few, but for the most part we are the better team on the ice. Last years playoff series I still feel like we outplayed them in that series and didn't get the breaks.

Right now we aren't outplaying anybody and this team has some internal issues going on.

Sanders418777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Know what I find amusing? People who say "so and so" didn't show up, he was invisible, I hardly noticed him, didn't hear his name said by the announcers, blah blah blah. I've never understood. Weren't you watching? How is it possible to watch a hockey game and not see every player? How is it possible to watch a hockey game and not see Mike Richards playing? I saw a lot of that in this thread. He's been bad for the last month, but honestly, how do you not see him out there? Do you just watch the puck and depend on the announcers to tell you who's around? Jesus.

Cote plays two minutes a night, but fight or not, I see him out there. I wonder if that's why people can't appreciate Ryan Parent - because they follow the puck. If he's not scoring 8 goals a night then people don't notice him because the puck isn't on his stick. It's kind of dumb, really. Really low level hockey fans.

But I digress...horrible game, horrible team. It's hard to imagine the playoffs being in sight for a team this bad. Hope it turns around, obviously, but wow. Carcillo and Timonen are my only untouchables right now. Everyone else I would trade for the right deal.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 07:08 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

FYI, Richards (or whoever is in charge of the facebook) deleted the negative comments off the wall.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 07:08 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Aren't pens fans supposed to be "classy"?

It's all an act, you should expect the real ******* **** talking they love to do. At least our fanbase as a whole will just punch you in the face.
all fanbases talk. i've never been punched in the face by the whole philly fanbase. i guess i'm lucky...

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 07:17 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I think a lot of the scoring could be fixed by going back to basic and routine plays. A good example is Hartnell's fake shot that led to goal number 4 last night. Complex isn't necessarily a good thing, he knows how to rip it and had a clear shot opportunity, something that was barely showing up all game, and he didn't, and it led to a turnover and goal.

I keep seeing a lot of attempts at tips in front and such where they're just missing. Relax, get back to basics...

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote