HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 12 Regular Season Results (and, eventually, playoff results)

Old
12-04-2009, 03:46 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Good series, Devil, and congratulations on advancing. I can't say I'm surprised at the result. Nalyd and I wanted to try building a team the opposite way from what has previously been successful in the ATD (ie. top goalie, no top defensemen), and it turned out to be pretty difficult. Appropriate, I suppose, that we went down to the team with perhaps the greatest 1st pairing in ATD history.

For my part, I really felt my interest waning this time around, which is a shame because I'd have liked to have been more a part of the process with all the new blood that showed up for ATD#12. On the other hand I no longer have the time I once had for it, so my apathy is probably for the best.

Good luck, Devil.
I'll admit that I did read your thread on past ATD champions before putting together my team. As I saw you start your team with Esposito and then not pick a dman until the 4th round, I thought you were purposely taking on a greater challenge. And you almost made it work - a loss in a razor-thin 7 game series.

By the way, I had no idea that posting a link to the Contrarian Goaltender's "study" would result in such a thorough smackdown of him, but I did enjoy it.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I'll admit that I did read your thread on past ATD champions before putting together my team. As I saw you start your team with Esposito and then not pick a dman until the 4th round, I thought you were purposely taking on a greater challenge. And you almost made it work - a loss in a razor-thin 7 game series.

By the way, I had no idea that posting a link to the Contrarian Goaltender's "study" would result in such a thorough smackdown of him, but I did enjoy it.
When it comes to analysis, I dislike extremes. TCG represents the hyper-rational side of the coin, which to me is no better than the anti-rational. As a sort of economist, I have a good deal of experience with statistics and how they apply to human behavior, and I know overambitious analysis when I see it. Only a utopian or a fool approaches a statistical analysis of human behavior with any assumption other than that it is highly irrational, unpredictable and multi-faceted. TCG is really not so bad, but he could use a dose of humility.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:01 PM
God Bless Canada

Votes for the division finals in the ATD are due by 11:59 P.M. EST on Sunday, December 6. All votes are to be sent to me.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:19 PM
God Bless Canada

I've received 16 of a possible 36 votes. I'm going to extend the deadline to noon EST Monday (December 7).

Old
12-06-2009, 11:42 PM
seventieslord

Thank you for the extension, I would rather not have had to vote right now.

I'll be doing it tomorrow by noon.

12 votes in the quarterfinals, though - not bad! compared to last draft's fiasco...

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 02:52 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Thank you for the extension, I would rather not have had to vote right now.

I'll be doing it tomorrow by noon.

12 votes in the quarterfinals, though - not bad! compared to last draft's fiasco...
Last two drafts. I was quiet about how bad ATD 10 was, but the reason I quit from running the ATD was I was disgusted by the voting turnout.

12-07-2009, 05:04 PM
God Bless Canada

Jim Robson Division Final:

No. 1 Inglewood Jacks vs. No. 2 New Jersey Swamp Devils: New Jersey wins in 7 games.
Three stars:
Bobby Orr
Doug Harvey
Frank Nighbor

Foster Hewitt Division Final:

No. 1 Tidewater Sharks vs. No. 3 Betelgeuse Hitchhikers: Tidewater wins in 7 games.
Three stars:
Wayne Gretzky
Chris Chelios
Jaromir Jagr

Jim Robson Division Final:

No. 2 Kimberley Dynamiters vs. No. 4 Cairo Desert Dogs: Kimberley wins in 7 games.
Three stars:
Ray Bourque
Joe Sakic/Cyclone Taylor (tie)

Rene Lecavalier Division Final:

No. 1 Detroit Falcons vs. No. 6 Renfrew Millionaires: Detroit wins in 7 games.
Three stars:
1. Dominik Hasek
2. Terry Sawchuk
3. Milt Schmidt

Old
12-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
good news ill have my computer back tomorrow

every 6 months it crashes when the atd is on

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:34 PM
God Bless Canada

Noon EST on Thursday will be the deadline for conference final votes. If an extension is needed, it will be posted here. Five votes have already been received. PMs are in the process of being sent.

Old
12-10-2009, 03:46 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
voted

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:32 PM
God Bless Canada

I'm going to accept any votes that will come in until I get home from work to tabulate the results. (About 4 or 5 p.m. EST).

Old
12-10-2009, 03:46 PM
God Bless Canada

The deadline for votes has now elapsed. We had 20 GMs vote, which is probably one of the highest totals ever for the division finals, the conference finals or the ATD final. Thank you to all who votes.

Here are the results:

Red Fisher Conference Final: The Tidewater Sharks vs. the New Jersey Swamp Devils: Tidewater in 7.
Three stars:
1. Bobby Orr
2. Chris Chelios
3. Jaromir Jagr

Jim Coleman Conference Final: The Detroit Falcons vs. the Kimberley Dynamiters: Detroit in 6.
Three stars:
1. Milt Schmidt
2. Terry Sawchuk
3. Joe Sakic

Congratulations to EB's Detroit Falcons on returning to the Milt Dunnell Cup Final. And congratulations to Hedberg's Tidewater Sharks for reaching the final for the very first time.

Also congrats to Mr. Bugg's Kimberley Dynamiters and TheDevilMadeMe's New Jersey Swamp Devils for getting this far in the draft.

The thread for the final will be posted soon.

Old
12-14-2009, 05:22 PM
God Bless Canada

The Detroit Falcons defeat the Tidewater Sharks in seven games in the Milt Dunnell Cup Final.
Three stars:
1. Jaromir Jagr/Terry Sawchuk (tied)
3. Milt Schmidt

Congratulations to Detroit for winning their first title, and to the Sharks for reaching the final and building an excellent team.

Old
12-14-2009, 05:58 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Congrats to both the finalists. Both were fantastic teams and deserve all the accolades they got.

Jaromir Jagr tying for first star though - I guess others (a lot of others) have a higher opinion of his playoff performances than I do.

I guess the "you can't win by making a goalie your first pick" was proven false.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 06:05 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Congrats to both the finalists. Both were fantastic teams and deserve all the accolades they got.

Jaromir Jagr tying for first star though - I guess others (a lot of others) have a higher opinion of his playoff performances than I do.

I guess the "you can't win by making a goalie your first pick" was proven false.
...and thank God it was. I hate hearing that, more than almost anything. People love to say it's the most important position in the game. But don't pick your goalie first. That makes no sense. Guys like Roy, Plante, Hasek - they didn't get ranked from 10-16 on the two revisions of the HOH top-100 just because we had to put goalies there. It's because we determined through our discussions and debates and stats and everything else, that they contributed about as much value as a Mikita, Bourque, or Morenz. (and getting Plante at 23rd between Lidstrom and Robinson? fuhgettaboutit) For your goalie to suddenly not be as important in an ATD setting would be rather troublesome.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Leafs Forever

Congrats to EB and both finalists; two excellent teams. Every team in the draft really came to play; it was a ton of close matchups and teams and a lot of great ones. Great job all-around guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
...and thank God it was. I hate hearing that, more than almost anything. People love to say it's the most important position in the game. But don't pick your goalie first. That makes no sense. Guys like Roy, Plante, Hasek - they didn't get ranked from 10-16 on the two revisions of the HOH top-100 just because we had to put goalies there. It's because we determined through our discussions and debates and stats and everything else, that they contributed about as much value as a Mikita, Bourque, or Morenz. (and getting Plante at 23rd between Lidstrom and Robinson? fuhgettaboutit) For your goalie to suddenly not be as important in an ATD setting would be rather troublesome.
Agreed. I too, was happy to see the "Great goalie, not so good #1 D-man" kind of tewam win out. I suppose it has to do with the best goaltenders not beign as dominant as the best forwards and defenceman, but it's still an important position and should be well valued, probably, as mentioned, more than any other singular position. That's not to say we should all go goaltenders first (again, dominance difference), but still.

Leafs Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 04:00 AM
Nalyd Psycho

This has had the 2nd best possible result. The best being Portland winning.

With Jagr getting mad props, Esposito backing a team to the finals and Dionne going to the semi's, we've seen a lot of former pariahs get fair treatment. This needs to continue.

And Detroit with a checking 1st line, no top d-man, a non 1st pairing guy on the 1st pairing and an elite goaltender, showed that a team with a non-traditional build can win. This is important to prevent formulas taking over.

So, yeah, I would love to win sometime. But the game has changed a bit this time. Formula's are gone. Let creativity reign supreme.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote