HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers looking shake up the team

Old
12-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Garv23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You mustve missed alot of Rangers hockey from 99-05 if you think Drury is the face of 'quick fix'.
A 7 year stomach flu as I remember it.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:34 AM
omgShakeNbake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Marleau has bust written all over him. He has played and lived on the west coast/western Canada for all of his career.
Wait wait wait... talking about Marleau as a bust?.... Are you serious...

People are saying San Jose line of heatley - thornton - marleau is the best line in the nhl right now.

Marleau unlike heatley and thornton has both the ability of a play maker and sniper

For his age its amazing what he is doing this season

As for what happens in playoff mode for the sharks, dont put the blame on Marleau.

All season long they have it easy so they coast through, then get to the playoffs play like **** as a team and lose.

omgShakeNbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:46 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgShakeNbake View Post
People are saying San Jose line of heatley - thornton - marleau is the best line in the nhl right now.

You can throw virtually any player on a line with Heatley and Thornton an expect very good results. That's not to discredit Marleau, but come on... he has two 100 point players helping him out some

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:11 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
You can throw virtually any player on a line with Heatley and Thornton an expect very good results. That's not to discredit Marleau, but come on... he has two 100 point players helping him out some
Uhhh...I've watched San Jose twice in the past week and Marleau is playing with Thornton and Setoguchi.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Uhhh...I've watched San Jose twice in the past week and Marleau is playing with Thornton and Setoguchi.
I believe they've lost 5 in a row. But for Marleau, I've followed the Sharks since the lockout because my brother-in-law is a die hard Sharks fan. Marleau is one of the fastest guys in the league bar none, and I'm scared of him coming here, because I'm not sure he would be able to produce offensively like he has been in SJ. Let's face it, the Rangers are a black hole of offense. I'd just be very weary of signing him, he's a good player, shows up in the playoffs, but let's wait and see. Nabby is a f/a as well for SJ. They might try and move Clowe to re-sign Marleau and Nabby.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Chief

Marleau underrated?

I'm not pushing for Marleau but he's been SJ's best and most consistent player all season long...of course, being stripped of the "C" prior to your walk year can be quite the wake-up call/inspiration .

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Chief

Don't hold your breath waiting for a move involving an impact player.

It's way too early for any team to get rid of an impact player. The only way you'd see a move like that made would be if a player was disgruntled and it was causing problems with the team (like if Halak wanted out of Montreal because he wanted to play more) or if a team wanted to rid itself of a salary (like Barker maybe being moved by the Hawks).

It's just too early for teams to give up on the season and for that reason I wouldn't expect any team to get rid of a player that would make a difference. Every team is still in the running for a PO spot. Carolina is the only team in the league that doesn't have 30 points but even they probably feel they can turn things around with Ward and Staal back.

We'll see.

Old
12-16-2009, 11:39 AM
BobSantos

I don't know how this works exactly - just joined up after reading and enjoying for a while.

I don't know if this move would count as a shakeup, but maybe it could provide an impact for our goalie situation:

After watching Johan Hedberg's marvelous performance against us the other night I got to thinking, what happens when Lehtonen returns for Atl? They will have three starting-quality goalies on their hands. Pavelec is young and got a lot of potential, Lehtonen is their guy. That would leave Hedberg as "odd man out".

If we could put together a deal for him, his contract wouldn't affect our cap situation, considering he only makes about 300K more than Valliquette.

We would have a legit backup to spell Lundqvist.

What would this take? Maybe send ATL Vally/Zaba and one of our many third/fourth liners? Voros, perhaps??? Maybe even just a pick, so ATL remedies their goalie glut and clears some cap space?

Thanks for your input.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:45 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
I don't know how this works exactly - just joined up after reading and enjoying for a while.

I don't know if this move would count as a shakeup, but maybe it could provide an impact for our goalie situation:

After watching Johan Hedberg's marvelous performance against us the other night I got to thinking, what happens when Lehtonen returns for Atl? They will have three starting-quality goalies on their hands. Pavelec is young and got a lot of potential, Lehtonen is their guy. That would leave Hedberg as "odd man out".

If we could put together a deal for him, his contract wouldn't affect our cap situation, considering he only makes about 300K more than Valliquette.

What would this take? Maybe send ATL Vally/Zaba and one of our many third/fourth liners? Voros, perhaps??? Maybe even just a pick, so ATL remedies their goalie glut and clears some cap space?

Thanks for your input.
I think they're more likely to trade Lehtonen.

12-16-2009, 11:53 AM
HockeyBurd*

Is it just me or are the Rangers in a perpetual state of being "shook up". This organization is run like one of those board games where you keep shaking the whole thing until everything per chance falls into place. Keep shaking that board Sather... keep shaking that board.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:55 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Agreed. Lehtonen will be traded to a team in need of a starting goalie at the deadline (Philly?) that would be willing to give up something nice that Atlanta will use for a playoff run.

Pavelec is young, but he has proven that he is ready for the NHL, IMO. He has been very solid in just about each start, and even when he has a bad game, the team has Hedberg to lean on to put in a solid effort as the backup.

Also, say no to Marleau. He's a great player, but I'm not sure about how much Thornton, Heatley, and Setoguchi have to do with him putting up the numbers that he has put up the past couple of seasons. Marleau also impresses me to be more of a sniper type rather than a playmaker.

This team needs a playmaking center, not another sniper. In fact, I think that the lack of decent playmakers up front, Prospal being the exception, is playing a significant part in some of the Rangers' scoring woes recently.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
this. lehtonen is far from "their guy" anymore. too many injuries and up and down play when healthy.

Kari has the skill to be one of the best, but the body to hold up? the mind to do it night in and night out? still big question marks.

i think they'd like to continue to develop Pavs slow this year and sign him to be their future star.

i could see them trading Kari and Hedberg this year for the right offers though. If pavelec proves he can be the full time #1 by the deadline, they can always bring in another vet to help Pavs learn and back him up.

the problem is the goalie market seems to be loaded with guys available. the Q is what player matches what cap space?

Hedberg might be the best option out there for talent/$

i'm curious if we see chad johnson tomorrow or not

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
But no one will want Kari. Hes a good goaltender, but his injuries are just down right scary. You can handle going without your teams top goal scorer for a few games if you buckle down and play good defense, you cant handle your team going without its #1 goaltender though, unless you have a SOLID back up, which in the case of the salary cap, not may teams do.

Hedberg will not be traded, neither will Kari. Pavelec is the odd man out.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Is it just me or are the Rangers in a perpetual state of being "shook up". This organization is run like one of those board games where you keep shaking the whole thing until everything per chance falls into place. Keep shaking that board Sather... keep shaking that board.

Not just you. That's why the pacifist posts always have me shaking my head. "Just be patient...", "It's all part of the plan...", "We're turning the corner soon...just waiting for the yutes to develop..." How the hell can anyone be patient with the heaps of manure annually skating around on Garden ice? I mean, did I black out for a few years? Were there seasons of great success between the 7 missed playoffs and the 4 mediocre appearances?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:25 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
You mustve missed alot of Rangers hockey from 99-05 if you think Drury is the face of 'quick fix'.
ok. the latest face of quick fix

better ?

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
ok. the latest face of quick fix

better ?
Better, but again, quick fixes have all to do with Sather, not Drury, Rosy, Redden, Holik, Karpa, Lintner, etc.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:48 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgShakeNbake View Post
Wait wait wait... talking about Marleau as a bust?.... Are you serious...

Marleau unlike heatley and thornton has both the ability of a play maker and sniper

For his age its amazing what he is doing this season

As for what happens in playoff mode for the sharks, dont put the blame on Marleau.

All season long they have it easy so they coast through, then get to the playoffs play like **** as a team and lose.
Read more carefully. I'm talking about Marleau as a Ranger.

His age? How old do you think Marleau is? He is just 30 years old. Marleau made the jump from the draft to the NHL as an 18 year kid.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:52 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
But no one will want Kari. Hes a good goaltender, but his injuries are just down right scary. You can handle going without your teams top goal scorer for a few games if you buckle down and play good defense, you cant handle your team going without its #1 goaltender though, unless you have a SOLID back up, which in the case of the salary cap, not may teams do.

Hedberg will not be traded, neither will Kari. Pavelec is the odd man out.
Not a chance, as Hedberg is 36 and Kari can't go more than 15 minutes without a major back injury. They know Pavs is the future, and Kari will be getting traded if a good offer comes along.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:01 PM
NYR Viper

What about a possible trade for Ryan Clowe? He would bring some size and grit to the second line. Good complimentary player in the mold of a Ryan Malone yet only paid 3.5 for 3 more years.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
What about a possible trade for Ryan Clowe? He would bring some size and grit to the second line. Good complimentary player in the mold of a Ryan Malone yet only paid 3.5 for 3 more years.
He's cheap and their 5th leading scorer, 4th amongst fowards - why are they trading him?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:11 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
He's cheap and their 5th leading scorer, 4th amongst fowards - why are they trading him?
May need cap space to resign players next offseason, may want to bulk up their defense for the playoffs. Who knows!? Just wondering if he would be a good option to improve the team.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post

That's what happens when as management you refuse to swallow your pride (what little you have left) and start rebuilding through youth, instead of trying to buy your way in to the playoffs.
For now this roster is like a Mr. Potatohead toy rather than a cohesive team with an identity and direction.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:16 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Not a chance, as Hedberg is 36 and Kari can't go more than 15 minutes without a major back injury. They know Pavs is the future, and Kari will be getting traded if a good offer comes along.
I'm inclined to agree that Pavelec is the ATL future franchise goaltender but if Lehtonen comes back later and doesn't have the time to establish himself to the liking of potential trading partners such as Philly, doesn't that make Hedberg the guy they have to trade?

He is oldest by a long shot and I'm not sure ATL is the kind of franchise that lets a 1.1Million goalie get sent to the minors. Not to mention that he's UFA and if he gets sent down with the season he's having, he won't sign with them again anyway. They will want to move him for something before they lose that chance.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Welcome aboard!

Getting a backup goalie is the least of the Rangers worries. They need to use their tradeable assets to upgrade the scoring...and upgrading our D wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Old
12-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
He is just 30 years old.
30 is the new 38...

Seriously though -- its funny how like 10-12 years ago all UFA's signed was what like 35 y/o at the youngest -- and those guys were still major players.

People were saying "career's" are getting longer since the vets are taking so good care of themselfs.

In fact, now I am wondering if the fact that "everyone" is taking so good care of themself's will hurt the "ultra serious" vets. Like before it was like a extremely fit 36 y/o could compete with a very fit 25 y/o. Now everyone is extremely fit and the careers are actually getting shorter.

This blabber have nothing to do with Marleau, just a observation.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote