HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oshie/Berglund or Bergfors/Corrente..Hmmm..

Old
12-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
What's the point arguing, Bergfors is not a 70-80 point player. He is a slightly more gifted version of Brylin. Playing with Parise and Zajac he may put up low to mid 60's in points. Oshie will put up 60 points consistently bringing a physical game and solid two way hockey. Oshie is better then Bergfors now and will continue to be a better player.
Let's wait for Oshie to crack 60 first.

We already have a physical two-way winger in Clarkson. He was on pace to put up over 50 points before he got hurt. Bergfors brings finesse, which is a good thing to have as well.

BTW, saying a player like Bergfors won't win us championships is ridiculous. What does that even mean?

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 05:38 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
If Zajac can learn to use his body effectively, I don't see why Bergfors can't. Especially when you have guys like Zubrus teaching you every day in practice.
practicing with poobrus AND clarktard, he has no excuse. im really looking forward to see what he brings in his sophmore year.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by åboriginal View Post
until bergie learns something called physicality, hell never be a beast along the boards. yea he can cycle well and is shifty enough to get him out of trouble, ive yet to see him genuinely throw his frame around like parise does. i really wish hed bulk up a little and learn to be more physical because it would help his game IMMENSELY.

and i do acutally agree with jason to an extent. yea bergie is playing great and putting up good numbers being a rookie, i still see him as one of those(POSSIBLE) forever streaky players. im not saying he is now, but i just get that vibe from him. he seems like the kinda guy that can either score 25 goals a year and be a great 2nd line player for any team OR have a couple good years, bounce around, lose confidence and eventually head back to sweden. i REALLY hope thats not the case, because hes becoming one of my fav players. but id like to see what he does in 3 seasons. then well be able to tell for sure.
Bergfors is willing to learn, I'm sure with Lemaire's guidance and with the example of his teammates, he can become more physical. He's already playing better defence than he was at the beginning of the year. He may have a tendency to be a streaky right now, but I think experience will take care of that.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 05:42 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Bergfors is willing to learn, I'm sure with Lemaire's guidance and with the example of his teammates, he can become more physical. He's already playing better defence than he was at the beginning of the year. He may have a tendency to be a streaky right now, but I think experience will take care of that.
yea im def happy hes getting a hard time from lemaire instead of sutter. if bergie plays his cards right, learns from the right people, doesnt gain an ego and drinks the kool aid, hell be a dam fine player.

Old
12-15-2009, 05:43 PM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Oshie often gets overrated on these boards because of those two times he destroyed rick nash. He needs to improve his vision/finishing ability if he ever wants to sniff 60+ points. I think Bergs has a higher ceiling but Oshie will be the more complete player when he hits his prime due to the physicality he brings and work ethic which is comparable to Parise and Toews.

Oh, and you win championships with elite players like Crosby, Malkin, lidstrom, datsyuk, Getzlaf, etc. Oshie is what he is right now, a 2nd/3rd line energy guy. He'll never be the go to guy on a cup team.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:34 AM
Barcelonian Devil

Send a message via MSN to Barcelonian Devil
tj oshie sleeps with a Vladimir Zharkov pyjama

Barcelonian Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Do you have this weeks lottery numbers too Nostradamus?
Ha ha, exactly.

I don't know where Bergfors will top out, but it's pretty ridiculous to claim that a 22-year old who's on pace for 29 goals and 58 points in his rookie season can't eventually develop into a 70 point scorer.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:38 AM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

hes a bum

Old
12-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Ha ha, exactly.

I don't know where Bergfors will top out, but it's pretty ridiculous to claim that a 22-year old who's on pace for 29 goals and 58 points in his rookie season can't eventually develop into a 70 point scorer.
A rookie who never came close to a PPG in his 4 seasons in the AHL. Half his points are on the PP, he is in an ideal situation to put up points. I just don't see the star potential that you guys see.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
A rookie who never came close to a PPG in his 4 seasons in the AHL. Half his points are on the PP, he is in an ideal situation to put up points. I just don't see the star potential that you guys see.
A ceiling of 70 points isn't exactly "star potential".

I think we all know that the AHL teams Bergfors was on weren't exactly conducive to offensive productivity. He also had various injuries.

Not every player follows a linear development curve. Parise only put up 18 goals and 58 points in his first (and only) AHL season.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Jiri Bicek
Rusty Shackleford

Send a message via AIM to Jiri Bicek
All this powerplay point talk with Bergfors lately makes him sound like Prucha

Jiri Bicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:51 AM
MoonDragn

I was wrong about Bergfors before, now after watching him play more, I am sure he will top 80 points. He's got a wicked shot and if he puts on some more muscle, he's going to be just as good if not better than Elias.

MoonDragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:52 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Since when did picking up points on the powerplay equal a bad thing?

We've been clamoring for a true PP wizard for years....

britdevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:54 AM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Quote:
isnt it a little too early to say either way? all i know is that weve been dying for help on the pp and now we have a kid who adds an extra threat. it seems to be working so far. of course he needs to round out the rest of his game, but points on the pp arent anything to shrug at. i like osh too, but i dont think id say one is going to be much better just yet. both of their careers could go either way. i will say tho that osh will easily be the more hard nosed player that will fly into any situation whereas bergie will shy away from that aspect. the physical part of the game is something i really hope bergie can learn and adapt.

Old
12-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Jiri Bicek
Rusty Shackleford

Send a message via AIM to Jiri Bicek
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDragn View Post
I was wrong about Bergfors before, now after watching him play more, I am sure he will top 80 points. He's got a wicked shot and if he puts on some more muscle, he's going to be just as good if not better than Elias.

Jiri Bicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Since when did picking up points on the powerplay equal a bad thing?

We've been clamoring for a true PP wizard for years....
Precisely. Bergfors is the PP threat we've needed for a while. With him and Elias in the lineup, we have a creative and unpredictable PP. This also make Rolston and Greene more effective, because teams can't cheat one way or the other to take away the point shot or play us down low.

I think it's a great thing that Bergfors is scoring so much on the PP. If he can do the same at even strength, it'll be even better.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote