HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Shane Doan

Old
12-16-2009, 09:27 PM
ducky

vCash: 500
Shane Doan

What's wrong with Shane Doan?

He looked brutal tonight in Toronto.

Zero confidence. He killed several scoring chances all by himself. Looked like a 4th liner.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:31 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
What's wrong with Shane Doan?

He looked brutal tonight in Toronto.

Zero confidence. He killed several scoring chances all by himself. Looked like a 4th liner.
Pressure of making Team Canada's Olympic team.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Pressure of making Team Canada's Olympic team.
I don't think he has to worry about that anymore.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:41 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
I don't think he has to worry about that anymore.

I think he'll make it. Team Canada needs grit.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Alamo

He also has a lot of experience in International play....
Maybe he is just getting a little older? He is about to play his 1000th game.... You can really only be a power forward for so long.

Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:10 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
They'll take at least one of Smyth (not sure if he'll be back in time), Morrow or Doan. I hope Doan makes merely because it's so important to him but either way I'll be glad when the decisions are made so he can go back to just playing hockey. The team is surviving so far but they need their captain!!!!!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 06:33 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

The way I see it, if he's going to have a brutal first half, he'll probably have an AMAZING second half, and finish up the year with his usual amount of points.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 07:39 AM
PhoPhan

I mentioned this a few weeks ago, and I sadly haven't seen much improvement. It's not just a matter of him not getting results. He just doesn't look like the same player out there. For the past few seasons, he was always the most noticeable player on the ice. He's not anymore. I have no doubt the effort level is still there, and his effect on other players is still profoundly important, but his effectiveness appears to be waning.

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 08:47 AM

I'm the last person to provide excuses for others, but it's been a long tough year for Shane Doan on this team. There was all of the talk last year about the team moving, the bankruptcy trial over the summer and talk of relocation, and now the new owners. With the turmoil that has surrounded this franchise over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if it got to him -- especially since he has a young family he has raised here. Add to that it's an Olympic year, which he usually plays too tight until announced to the team, and I think it's a good explanation.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 08:47 AM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

I suspect that Doaner is puting a ton of pressure on himself to produce to get fans in the seats. He's a better player when he's playing loose...or pissed.

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:28 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
With so many talented players deserving a call, I'd be very surprised if he does. Doan hasn't even been really gritty this season.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

1. Tonight will be Shane Doan's 1000th NHL game(provided he doesn't get hurt before the drop of the puck)

2. I rather not see any of the Coyotes get into Olympics since we have so much at stake with getting into the playoffs.
If Bryz gets hurt then kiss the playoffs for this season goodbye.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:36 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

I thought Doan looked to be coming around in the second half of the Detroit game (maybe in front of Babcock?) after he got a puck in the face on the bench, but he was nearly invisible in TO. He's a liability on the side boards on the PP and has missed open nets on a few occasions. He might just need one for things to open up for him... hopefully.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:14 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Hopefully playing in game 1000 will get him going. The team has been playing well so far but we need him to be good...

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:05 PM
MP

I knew these threads would start cropping up. Sure, he's missed a few golden opportunities, and if he's the kind of competitor we think he is, it keeps him up at night.

But nobody is posting huge numbers on this team. No. Bod. Ee. Out of all our top offensive threats--Vrbata leads the team in goals, Lombardi in assists, and Jovo and Yandle are our top offensive defensemen--none of them currently have more points than Doan: he and Vrby are tied for the team lead at 19. That's less than half the point total of the current NHL leader, who's sitting at 44. So it isn't just Doan.

Dave Tippett's system has done wonders for team defense, and I love it for that. What it means, though, is that offense is going to decrease. Less risks are being taken, the Coyotes' game is not as fast-n'-loose as it used to be, and even our best players aren't going to have as many chances as before. I see it as a trade-off. The Minnesota Wild faced this issue for years with Marian Gaborik, who was widely believed to want out of Lemaire's airtight defensive system in favor of a team that would give him a bit more freedom. He may have had a point--he's scoring like a fiend in NY and could very well beat his point total from '07-'08, the last time he played something like a full season.

It's affected everybody. The upside is that it's working like a charm.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:12 PM
PhoPhan

My issue with Doan isn't just his point totals (though I'd be happier, of course, if they were higher). He just isn't as noticeable out there. In years past, he would make something happen every single time he was on the ice. Now, he'll do something big a few times a game, but he just doesn't seem to be That Guy anymore.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Stump

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Hopefully playing in game 1000 will get him going. The team has been playing well so far but we need him to be good...
Hard to believe Doan is playing game 1,000 and still does not have a hat trick.

Tonight's the night!

Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:59 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Now, he'll do something big a few times a game, but he just doesn't seem to be That Guy anymore.
To be That Guy, Doan has to run around like a bull in a china shop. When I compare Tippett's system to whatever Gretzky liked to call his excuse for a system, I doubt Doan has the freedom to do as much of that these days.

I cringe thinking about some of the open nets he's missed, and you'd probably be right to say it's affected his confidence. Even so, he forechecks hard, and his puck protection is as good as it's ever been. Within the constraints of the type of game the Coyotes are playing, I think he's played pretty well, those godawful missed chances notwithstanding. To be honest, if he's putting those away, I doubt we're even having this conversation.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:04 PM
PhoPhan

That's a fair point about the system. I don't see the same intensity, but it's possible it's just being channeled differently.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:34 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I'm the last person to provide excuses for others, but it's been a long tough year for Shane Doan on this team. There was all of the talk last year about the team moving, the bankruptcy trial over the summer and talk of relocation, and now the new owners. With the turmoil that has surrounded this franchise over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if it got to him -- especially since he has a young family he has raised here. Add to that it's an Olympic year, which he usually plays too tight until announced to the team, and I think it's a good explanation.
I tend to agree with you. I actually think Doan is trying way too hard. He over commits, he sometimes puts his head down leaving the defensive zone and misses a pass. Doan kills shots every chance he gets like maybe he can just put one through the goalie. He has no patience at all. I think, if anything, Doan needs to settle down and try to just play the game. Let the offense come to him, play the system and hit somebody. Every slow start he ever had, I'd hear him talk about -- and execute on -- playing a simpler game. Once he did that he would be a force on every shift, scoring chance or not. Then, when there was an opening, he would start making plays. And those openings would come too, because he needs to play that simple game to open up the ice and then use that opening to make a play and not the other way around.

The thing that worries me the most is that you usually hear him talk about being kind of frustrated offensively and needing to simplify his game by now. Instead he just seems to be getting more frustrated and squeezing his stick even tighter. I can only imagine between the off-season and the Olympics coming up that he feels the pressure and isn't letting himself reset even if that is likely the only thing that will really get him going again.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Not to mention Doaner was out on the front lines defending the Coyotes staying here. He came out in support of the team several times over the summer and was challenged for that stance at every turn. I think Doan wants hockey to succeed here and I think he wants so badly to be the guy that does it (which is why I think he's so damn awesome!!!). Unfortunately it's probably creating a lot of pressure that is hampering his ability to get going. Combine that with the Olympics and well perhaps that's what is going on. I'm not too worried though, a few bounces the other direction and we'd be having a whole other discussion. He's still getting his chances every night so I'm not too worried. I tend to agree with rt, I think by the end of the season he'll be close to his usual numbers.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 06:02 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
He's still getting his chances every night so I'm not too worried. I tend to agree with rt, I think by the end of the season he'll be close to his usual numbers.
I hope that is true. I remember last year his production exploded in January.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 08:54 PM
XX
... Waiting

Tippet made it a point to say when he first came in that the offense will not live and die by Shane Doan. To be honest, Doan is a great top 6 player but not a star forward. His versatility means he is never out of place, in any situation, when on the ice. That's valuable in itself. I think we need to tone down our expectations. We have better players who shoot more often, and no longer does Doan have to single-handedly will this team to wins.

Besides, we all know he will explode in the playoffs.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote