HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Give Gaborik the C

Old
12-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Choice

vCash: 500
Give Gaborik the C

Say what you will about Jagr, but he led by example on the ice. You could see the passion. There are not many teams that have third line roleplayers as captain. San Jose, a cup contender, stripped Marleau of the C because they were underachieving.

It's only a matter of time until Marian Gaborik is Ranger captain.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Crease

Sure, why not. Couldn't hurt.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
no, thank you.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Inferno
HFB Partner

id give Henrik the C.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
no, thank you.
Why not? At this point I'm up for any sort of shake-up.

Old
12-16-2009, 11:10 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
id give Henrik the C.
Gaborik deserves it.

But no one.

No one.

Deserves it more than Henrik.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Crease

Quote:
id give Henrik the C.
Not a bad idea either.

Lundqvist - C
Prospal - A
Callahan - A
Gaborik - A

Does the NHL have a rule about the number of A's? If I remember correctly, the 94 Rangers had 3 or 4 A's throughout the course of the season.

Old
Choice

Quote:
id give Henrik the C.
Nobody gives it to the goalie.

Old
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Why not? At this point I'm up for any sort of shake-up.
The guy is shy and reserved. Im not a huge Drury guy but there is a reason Gaborik hasnt even been given an "A" on this team. There are a lot of great scorers out there that havent worn letters.

Plus, I go back to my old argument that who wears the "C" really makes no difference. The only thing that could possibly happen is Gaborik would feel the pressure and go downhill.

Old
12-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/vanc...te-league-rule

Old
12-16-2009, 11:11 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
Roberto Luongo.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Crease

Quote:
The guy is shy and reserved. Im not a huge Drury guy but there is a reason Gaborik hasnt even been given an "A" on this team. There are a lot of great scorers out there that havent worn letters.

Plus, I go back to my old argument that who wears the "C" really makes no difference. The only thing that could possibly happen is Gaborik would feel the pressure and go downhill.
Playing hockey at the College and Junior level, I'd argue from experience that the Captain does have an impact on the team from a personality and accountability perspective.

Old
12-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

I hate the stigma about giving the C to goaltenders but seriously...

Lundqvist deserves it. And let's totally ignore the fact that he's an outstanding goalie and just evaluate him personally: This guy is one of the few Rangers who mans up and takes responsibility for the team. His interview tonight was one of his best... he called out the team "without actually calling out the team"...by saying everyone on this team (including himself) needs to take a look in the mirror and ask what they can do better.

Henrik always takes each loss personally, and to heart -- something you would see out of a leader after his team disappoints the fans. He always tells things like they are, and does not give generic replies like most players, including our current captain do.

Do a vancouver or whatever and make him the captain of the lockerroom and have third alternate captain to abide by league rules with the "C". (I think Luongo technically can't wear it).

Anyone but Drury at this point could do a better job but I don't think we need to look too far with Lundy.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Choice

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Roberto Luongo.
interesting.

Old
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Playing hockey at the College and Junior level, I'd argue from experience that the Captain does have an impact on the team from a personality and accountability perspective.
I played NCAA hockey. I dont know if its the same as the NHL, but our coach did the coaching. The captaincies for forward and D core were more ceremonial than anything.

Old
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Stripping Drury of the C could be the "something" Torts alluded to after the game.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
i agree with this, even in beer leagues the captain matters. teams implode all the time at my level of play just because of poor leadership and players all try to get onto teams with good leadership and a good group of guys...i think our leadership blows. Your captain needs to be able to take the club on his back and win you a game.

Gaborik is capable of doing that.

Lundqvist is capable of doing that.

Drury isn't, but he won't let that ruin his....

Old
12-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
I hate the stigma about giving the C to goaltenders but seriously...

Lundqvist deserves it. And let's totally ignore the fact that he's an outstanding goalie and just evaluate him personally: This guy is one of the few Rangers who mans up and takes responsibility for the team. His interview tonight was one of his best... he called out the team "without actually calling out the team"...by saying everyone on this team (including himself) needs to take a look in the mirror and ask what they can do better.

Henrik always takes each loss personally, and to heart -- something you would see out of a leader after his team disappoints the fans. He always tells things like they are, and does not give generic replies like most players, including our current captain do.

Do a vancouver or whatever and make him the captain of the lockerroom and have third alternate captain to abide by league rules with the "C". (I think Luongo technically can't wear it).

Anyone but Drury at this point could do a better job but I don't think we need to look too far with Lundy.
give the C to Henrik, and have 3 guys wear the A...you can even rotate the last 1.

Henrik has been the Captain since Jagr left anyway imho.

Old
12-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Crease

Quote:
I played NCAA hockey. I dont know if its the same as the NHL, but our coach did the coaching. The captaincies for forward and D core were more ceremonial than anything.
Every team is different. I understand where you're coming from though. At the NHL level, I'd imagine the captaincy matters simply because of the premium paid by the market for good on and off-ice leadership. You can't deny the impact that guys like Yzerman, Stevens, and Messier had on the ice and in the locker room from a leadership stand-point. Not saying anyone in our locker room right now can provide that type of leadership, but anything seems better than Drury at this point.

Old
12-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
give the C to Henrik, and have 3 guys wear the A...you can even rotate the last 1.

Henrik has been the Captain since Jagr left anyway imho.
Agreed.

Vancouver actually has no player that wears the "C". Luongo has a "C" on his helmet painted on (nice loophole btw), and the Canucks have three players who wear the "A". I don't know if they rotate the third or whatever.

I say we do the same.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:20 PM
trilobyte

No great shame in relieving Drury of the C, right?
I mean, it's not the most desireable thing to do, but not much choice here, eh?

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:21 PM
OverTheCap

Lundqvist is clearly the emotional leader of the team. It seems like he's the only one who takes these losses to heart. He never makes excuses and always blames himself even if it's not his fault.

He deserves the captaincy and I wouldn't be opposed to him getting the C. But I also think that the skaters need a good emotional leader as well.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Every team is different. I understand where you're coming from though. At the NHL level, I'd imagine the captaincy matters simply because of the premium paid by the market for good on and off-ice leadership. You can't deny the impact that guys like Yzerman, Stevens, and Messier had on the ice and in the locker room from a leadership stand-point. Not saying anyone in our locker room right now can provide that type of leadership, but anything seems better than Drury at this point.
Well essentially my point was, take Shanahan for example... When he was on our team he never wore the captaincy. But that didnt stop him from being a leader in the locker room. Whether or not a guy actually wears a letter to me has no effect on whether they actually lead or not. Leaders will lead regardless. So the only possible outcome I see is negative on the appointed player.

Old
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Chris Drury is a terrible captain to go with Tortorella, he was PERFECT for Renney as was Jagr. Although now that I think about it, Jagr would be a perfect captain for anyone, that guy was awesome.

Tortorella needs a captain who can reinforce his passion, his anger, and his goals.

The fact of the matter is that the anger the coaches felt tonight was in no way shape or form translating to the players? Why? The consistency here is Drury as captain.

Sullivan was irate during the first period intermission and nothing changed. You have to think Sullivan and Tortorella stayed infuriated through the whole game, and they did judging by Torts' post-game conference.

This team, hell this coach needs a captain that can compliment his fiery style, not take away from it like Monotone this won't affect my bank account Drury.

My first line of attack would be to just strip Drury of a letter altogether and give an 'A' to Avery. I wouldn't give it to Gaborik because he's more like Drury then Tortorella in terms of PERSONALITY. Run the three 'A's of Cally, Prospal, and Avery because they are all Torts PERSONALITY guys and see who steps up out of the three of them, or if someone else on the roster steps up vocally.

Right now with Drury the buffer is out of whack.

Or maybe I'm giving to much credit to Drury.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Crease

Quote:
Well essentially my point was, take Shanahan for example... When he was on our team he never wore the captaincy. But that didnt stop him from being a leader in the locker room. Whether or not a guy actually wears a letter to me has no effect on whether they actually lead or not. Leaders will lead regardless. So the only possible outcome I see is negative on the appointed player.
Shanahan had the stature to take that unspoken leadership role. I think with so many young guys on this team, no one wants to step up and "usurp" Drury's captaincy. Does that make sense?