HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Shoulda woulda coulda

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2009, 04:11 AM
  #251
GatoradeG*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,420
vCash: 500
I just remembered something. As I was leaving Rexall after the game, some guy clocked another guy and there was this scrum and the guy accidentally hit some 6 year old and the mom went crazy and the guys were wrestling on the ground and stuff. It was hilarious. (Not funny that the kid got hit but the whole scene was funny).

GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 06:21 AM
  #252
eastcoasteh
Registered User
 
eastcoasteh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,547
vCash: 500
If Khabi is indeed out for much longer, and this team actually wants to go anywhere, JDD is not the goalie to do it. Lets in way too many bad goals, because he never stops moving, he's too jumpy. And he gives out rebounds like he's santa.

eastcoasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:29 AM
  #253
oilersnyc
Registered User
 
oilersnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 394
vCash: 500
Man ... I love Pat Quinn's comments:

"I don't know if there's any excuse for being dumb."

"I haven't felt angry before, but I'm angry now."

And we all know ... you wouldn't like him when he's angry
Posted via Mobile Device

oilersnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:51 AM
  #254
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,556
vCash: 500
I should have known the Oilers would lose when my power went out because of a minor explosion in my neighborhood, it sounded like a mini bomb.
Anyway, my cable went out right when the Kings had the Oilers hemmed in for the one of the few times in the game with about 4 minutes to go with Smid and Visnovsky being gassed, i wonder if the Kings scored their go ahead goal on that shift, i had a feeling that my power going out was a sign that i don't need to see what happens next.
As far as the part of the game that i saw is concerned, the Oilers looked great to me, they had three good lines rolling except for the Jacques-O'Sullivan-Stortini line, it seems that O'Sullivan is a line killer nowadays. The Oilers were very deserving of a better fate tonight, these are the games that are scary, when the Oilers dominate but are either tied or one goal down..... I gotta say, Quick is a heck of a goalie, he's a big reason for the Kings turnaround this year and why is it that these guys who score on nobody else score on us? Greene, O'Donnell etc.
I like the way the team is playing, they're playing playoff type hockey imo but the downfall of the team will be goaltending, JDD's not ready to be a full time starter and Khabibulin looks to be gone for a long time but it's nice to have fun watching the Oilers again.
Oh, one more thing, it's obvious that this PP is clearly lost without Hemsky, it's disgusting how bad the PP has looked since he went down they can't even get the puck in the zone, it's easily the worst PP in the league right now and that's a problem that needs to be fixed ASAP because the Oilers 5 on 5 are playing as well as any team in the league right now.


Last edited by CupofOil: 12-16-2009 at 08:58 AM.
CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:25 AM
  #255
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
That was a tough one last night. That 4th line got benched because of O'Sullivan last night and if was only not a liability on the ice Storts and Jaques would have been worth putting on the ice after we scored. You could tell our top line was wearing down by having to double shift.

On a side note Bobby Nilsson had another great game. This guy is for real.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:46 AM
  #256
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,913
vCash: 500
I don't have a hate-on for Grebs, but he needs to get with the program...and quickly. While he was out, the other 6 grabbed seemed to figure it out, and while I'm not suggesting in any way shape or form that Strudwick is a better alternative, he did play within the system to his limits. Tom Gilbert has finally got on board, and Smid has been there since the season started. This team needs Grebs to catch on fast, or else a change will have to happen.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:54 AM
  #257
theranfordflop
Registered User
 
theranfordflop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasteh View Post
If Khabi is indeed out for much longer, and this team actually wants to go anywhere, JDD is not the goalie to do it. Lets in way too many bad goals, because he never stops moving, he's too jumpy. And he gives out rebounds like he's santa.
His rebound control does seem pretty bad. And his puck play is nuts. His favorite goalie was Dom Hasek, and boy does it show sometimes when he wanders out there.

But let's not forget he's had a pretty damn good Save PCT the past few games, and really held the fort when he had to.

Goalies have bad games. Every single one of them. The best of them. The key is to not have bad stretches.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:59 AM
  #258
GatoradeG*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
His rebound control does seem pretty bad. And his puck play is nuts. His favorite goalie was Dom Hasek, and boy does it show sometimes when he wanders out there.

But let's not forget he's had a pretty damn good Save PCT the past few games, and really held the fort when he had to.

Goalies have bad games. Every single one of them. The best of them. The key is to not have bad stretches.

Is it just me or does some of his saves look awkward. Maybe it is because he is so tall. Not saying he sucks but just noticed that. It's probably just me. Hes a decent goalie for the most part. I thought a few goals he let in were weak but he did make some nice saves.

GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:03 AM
  #259
theranfordflop
Registered User
 
theranfordflop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I've tolerated your insane grebeshkov hate enough in this thread. YES he bobbled the puck and it lead to a goal. He also made many many excellent passes and plays. Not bad for a guy who's been out for over a month. To even suggest strudwick is a beTter option is pure lunacy! This guy was our best defenceman last year.
He also made many in zone errors that led to the puck being coughed up in the most dangerous positions on the ice. Throwing it up the middle of the ice when you're deep in your zone is something the coaching staff has finally worked out of this teams game, Grebeshkov needs to catch up here.

It's one thing to lose the puck along the boards (which is what a lot of people get on Strudwick's case for), it's another to panic and just gift it to opposing players in positions where they have lots of ice to work with.

But I agree, a month out, you're going to be rusty. We'll see how things go next game.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:40 AM
  #260
Jet
Moderator
Chevel-takesadayoff
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,761
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
He also made many in zone errors that led to the puck being coughed up in the most dangerous positions on the ice. Throwing it up the middle of the ice when you're deep in your zone is something the coaching staff has finally worked out of this teams game, Grebeshkov needs to catch up here.

It's one thing to lose the puck along the boards (which is what a lot of people get on Strudwick's case for), it's another to panic and just gift it to opposing players in positions where they have lots of ice to work with.

But I agree, a month out, you're going to be rusty. We'll see how things go next game.
Personally, seeing where Grebs came from and what he learned under the OLD coaching regime, people around here should be very excited about what he can be with his skillset. He still has a way to go, but this guy is a diamond in the rough.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:20 PM
  #261
Grub
First Line Troll
 
Grub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,260
vCash: 883
At least you have a coach that gives a ****.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:00 PM
  #262
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davalicious View Post
I just remembered something. As I was leaving Rexall after the game, some guy clocked another guy and there was this scrum and the guy accidentally hit some 6 year old and the mom went crazy and the guys were wrestling on the ground and stuff. It was hilarious. (Not funny that the kid got hit but the whole scene was funny).
Yes. Violence is hilarious. Especially when children are involved.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:02 PM
  #263
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
The whole team played sub-meh, including Deslauriers. I'm having more and more of a hard time getting excited to watch these games. I used to spend about an hour a day reading Oilers stuff on the Web. Now, maybe 10 minutes. The cloud of apathy that hangs over this team is growing to include the fans now.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:37 PM
  #264
Jet
Moderator
Chevel-takesadayoff
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,761
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
The whole team played sub-meh, including Deslauriers. I'm having more and more of a hard time getting excited to watch these games. I used to spend about an hour a day reading Oilers stuff on the Web. Now, maybe 10 minutes. The cloud of apathy that hangs over this team is growing to include the fans now.
Honestly, I think you aren't paying attention. This team has played pretty well for the past 3 weeks, and it seems like its coming from them starting to learn the systems and the right way to play, as opposed to earlier in the year when they were winning from individual efforts.

I bet this team plays like gangbusters down the stretch and gets in the playoffs. To me the real question mark is whether Khabby will be a part of it, and if not, can JDD play well enough to get us in?

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:39 PM
  #265
mpah
Registered User
 
mpah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 742
vCash: 50
is there a video anywhere of the Brown dive?

mpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:56 PM
  #266
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Honestly, I think you aren't paying attention. This team has played pretty well for the past 3 weeks, and it seems like its coming from them starting to learn the systems and the right way to play, as opposed to earlier in the year when they were winning from individual efforts.

I bet this team plays like gangbusters down the stretch and gets in the playoffs. To me the real question mark is whether Khabby will be a part of it, and if not, can JDD play well enough to get us in?
The odds are against us making the playoffs, even after that streak. We've basically been treading water for two weeks... look at the standings. The only team doing worse than us in that timeframe is Columbus. If that has you excited, fill yer boots. I'm still looking at a team with 15 wins in 33 games. Gross.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:40 PM
  #267
Jet
Moderator
Chevel-takesadayoff
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,761
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
lol at Sully being blamed for a loss in which he barely got on the ice and played 8mins.

Also nice rolling of 3 lines all game by Quinn playing a tired LA club.

Sheer genius keeping a 4th line off the ice in a game like this..
I'm starting to think YOU are Patty's famous dad
Posted via Mobile Device

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 04:24 PM
  #268
theranfordflop
Registered User
 
theranfordflop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Honestly, I think you aren't paying attention. This team has played pretty well for the past 3 weeks, and it seems like its coming from them starting to learn the systems and the right way to play, as opposed to earlier in the year when they were winning from individual efforts.

I bet this team plays like gangbusters down the stretch and gets in the playoffs. To me the real question mark is whether Khabby will be a part of it, and if not, can JDD play well enough to get us in?
Ya, y'know I just can't believe that some people on here can't recognize what a substantial change in style of play, commitment and effort the Oilers have displayed since the beginning of the season. It's really baffling.

It seems like a lot of people on here have an entitled attitude. If the Oilers don't make the playoffs, then that's it for them. But as has been the case since the beginning of the season, this year is not about the playoffs. It's about teaching the game and changing the culture of the team. And that process is well on its way.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 05:08 PM
  #269
MePutPuckInNet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
That 4th line got benched because of O'Sullivan last night and if was only not a liability on the ice Storts and Jaques would have been worth putting on the ice after we scored.
C'mon. You can't be serious. What kind of coach is going to bench an entire line because of one guy? You're not making sense.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 05:59 PM
  #270
Lounge Act*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country:
Posts: 4,282
vCash: 500
It was a decent game, but man I hate the Kings. Now I'm 0-5.

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:19 AM
  #271
Gunner8811
Registered User
 
Gunner8811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marxpower View Post
is there a video anywhere of the Brown dive?
Tencer also has on twitter that: "Staios says Dustin Brown should be "completely ashamed of himself" for his dive late in the game last night."

I'm an Oiler fan but didn't Staios take a pretty obvious dive a couple weeks ago against that Sharks. He had Thornton blasting him the whole time after the play.

Pot meet kettle!

Gunner8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.