HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Give Gaborik the C

Old
12-17-2009, 01:05 AM
EmDeeZee4MVP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I guess the only thing about wearing the C is scoring goals?
I'm sure this will never happen, but if Drury really cared about winning and put the team first (as every captain should), then he should approach the front office and say "Hey, I'd be willing a take a minor pay cut if you think the cap space will help the team win".

Other athletes have done it before. Until then, you can't knock rangers fans for criticizing his "leadership", or lack there of.

EmDeeZee4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:08 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDeeZee4MVP View Post
I'm sure this will never happen, but if Drury really cared about winning and put the team first (as every captain should), then he should approach the front office and say "Hey, I'd be willing a take a minor pay cut if you think the cap space will help us win".

Other athletes have done it before. Until then, you can't knock rangers fans for criticizing him as a "leader".
The CBA doesn't allow contract renegotiations.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:09 AM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
The CBA doesn't allow contract renegotiations.
I was not aware of that.

So a player cannot return a portion of his salary back to the org?

Old
12-17-2009, 01:10 AM
TylerDurden

Quote:
I was not aware of that.

No he can not.

TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:10 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
I was not aware of that.

It's my understanding they can't. Once a contract is signed, the only way out is if the player retires, the contract is bought out, or when a player leaves for another league it seems like it's kind of a grey area.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:18 AM
Crease

I've always felt that if a player could take management to arbitration for a raise in the middle of a contract, then management should be allowed to take a player to arbitration for a pay cut.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:24 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I was thinking this all game.

Drury is an absolute disgrace to the Rangers organization. Sutter stripped Elias of the C and gave it to Madden. Tell me why Drury should be Captain?

The team puts forth ZERO, and I mean ZERO effort, and Drury acts like he just doesn't care. I hate Chris Drury more than I hate Scott Stevens.

At this point, I hope we lose every game, because these bunch of LOSERS don't deserve anything. There is no accountability whatsoever on this team. You have a captain (lowercase) in Drury that can't score, can't lead, can't do a single thing. Forget about what he makes, he needs to be removed from his duties as captain ASAP!!!!

Nobody cares, nobody has heart, nobody has anything. Nobody will get fired, nobody will be demoted, and nothing will change.

We are again, the laughing stock of the league.

Thanks, Sather, you've assembled the most pathetic Rangers team since I've been a fan (1989)

Drury MUST go, and he MUST go NOW!!!!!!!!!!

WE HAVE A CAPTAIN THAT DOESN'T CARE!!! Anyone that watches every game knows the guy is a coward, and turtles up and/or runs away from any sort of confrontation. He's not a leader, not a scorer, not an example, not anything but a pure loser. He will go down as the worst thing that has ever happened to my beloved team. He sets an example of pure cowardice.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:28 AM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Like, I get Drury's personality. Similar to Tom Renney's. Keep things behind closed doors. But whichever type of personality a leader may have, it all broils down to one thing all leaders have in common:

"lead" by example.

I understand he's not in his prime but when was the least time you've seen him battle along the boards for a loose puck, shift after shift? Generate scoring chances? Set up his line mates? lead the rush? Make a sweet pass? Or any pass, without turning the puck over? Etc.

If he performed on the ice, I could care less about how he goes about his business in the locker room. Or in contrary, if he was not performing but showing some fight and attitude about losing and standing up for the team, than I wouldn't complain. But he doesn't seem to be doing either of the two.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:32 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Like, I get Drury's personality. Similar to Tom Renney's. Keep things behind closed doors. But whichever type of personality a leader may have, it all broils down to one thing all leaders have in common:

"lead" by example.

I understand he's not in his prime but when was the least time you've seen him battle along the boards for a loose puck, shift after shift? Generate scoring chances? Set up his line mates? lead the rush? Make a sweet pass? Or any pass, without turning the puck over? Etc.

If he performed on the ice, I could care less about how he goes about his business in the locker room. Or in contrary, if he was not performing but showing some fight and attitude about losing and standing up for the team, than I wouldn't complain. But he doesn't seem to be doing either of the two.
dude, he does nothing. he's a joke, and we all see it, now. This is a disgrace. He brings NOTHING to the table. NOTHING. I'm livid!!!!

Old
12-17-2009, 01:39 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I was thinking this all game.

Drury is an absolute disgrace to the Rangers organization. Sutter stripped Elias of the C and gave it to Madden. Tell me why Drury should be Captain?

The team puts forth ZERO, and I mean ZERO effort, and Drury acts like he just doesn't care. I hate Chris Drury more than I hate Scott Stevens.

At this point, I hope we lose every game, because these bunch of LOSERS don't deserve anything. There is no accountability whatsoever on this team. You have a captain (lowercase) in Drury that can't score, can't lead, can't do a single thing. Forget about what he makes, he needs to be removed from his duties as captain ASAP!!!!

Nobody cares, nobody has heart, nobody has anything. Nobody will get fired, nobody will be demoted, and nothing will change.

We are again, the laughing stock of the league.

Thanks, Sather, you've assembled the most pathetic Rangers team since I've been a fan (1989)

Drury MUST go, and he MUST go NOW!!!!!!!!!!

WE HAVE A CAPTAIN THAT DOESN'T CARE!!! Anyone that watches every game knows the guy is a coward, and turtles up and/or runs away from any sort of confrontation. He's not a leader, not a scorer, not an example, not anything but a pure loser. He will go down as the worst thing that has ever happened to my beloved team. He sets an example of pure cowardice.
What makes you think he doesn't care? If he didn't care, you really think he'd be blocking shots on the PK? You think he'd be smashing sticks on the way in to the lockerroom after losses? Yeah, a pure loser alright, the track record proves it too

This team has so many different issues, I think this is the least of our problems. I think most guys in the lockerroom respect Drury. I think not many players respect Tortarella. It actually puts Drury in a pretty awkward situation a more laid back personality.

You can't have a team full of loudmouth hotheads, I kind of like having a Drury and a Redden on this team, just for at least half of what their respective pricetags are

Old
12-17-2009, 01:42 AM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
dude, he does nothing. he's a joke, and we all see it, now. This is a disgrace. He brings NOTHING to the table. NOTHING. I'm livid!!!!
Sadly true.

I can't see the organization stripping him of captaincy or demoting him or buying him out, etc. The Rangers won't admit their mistake with Drury, because of all the hype and expectations.

However, with Redden, I can see that happening. Sather recognized his mistake with Gomez and traded him away. Perhaps, he will do the same with Redden? Realistically speaking, if we can rid Redden's contract, which we can afford (no pun intended, with our rookie D) then we can at least bring in another scorer. Maybe not Gaborik A+ like talent, but surely an A- type forward.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:46 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
What makes you think he doesn't care? If he didn't care, you really think he'd be blocking shots on the PK? You think he'd be smashing sticks on the way in to the lockerroom after losses? Yeah, a pure loser alright, the track record proves it too

This team has so many different issues, I think this is the least of our problems. I think most guys in the lockerroom respect Drury. I think not many players respect Tortarella. It actually puts Drury in a pretty awkward situation a more laid back personality.

You can't have a team full of loudmouth hotheads, I kind of like having a Drury and a Redden on this team, just for at least half of what their respective pricetags are
loudmouth hotheads?

in case you haven't noticed, the team has no guts whatsoever. your statement is probably the most inept assessment of the reality of this team that I've ever read. you're clueless, man. the team is lost. They are a band of lost, heartless, weak, ineffectual zombies.

And Drury is behind the wheel of the bus. I guess, by your assessment, he's at the wheel, albeit, totally asleep, as it goes flying off the cliff.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:49 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

You think Chris Drury, the captain of the New York Rangers, with all of 2 goals scored this season, making 7 million dollars a year for the next 2 years...is the least of our problems?

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:54 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:

trumbull? little league? Colorado? 3rd liner? Calgary? average player. Buffalo? product of the system. you are as lost in your assessment of the Rangers as Drury is on the ice. Rangers perennially OVERVALUE people like Drury. If you can't see this, then I feel sorry for you.

Drury isn't a "winner" or "clutch". He's been EXPOSED as a 3rd liner. And now, an aging, ineffectual 3rd liner. 7mm well spent.

Old
12-17-2009, 03:45 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
You think Chris Drury, the captain of the New York Rangers, with all of 2 goals scored this season, making 7 million dollars a year for the next 2 years...is the least of our problems?
There's no moving Drury, and there's too many players that can be moved and on top of that were brought in this off-season that are not doing their share.

We can sit here and debate whether or not Drury is a good captain for the next two years, it's not going to change the fact that he's here to stay for most likely the remainder of his contract.

Old
12-17-2009, 03:54 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
trumbull? little league? Colorado? 3rd liner? Calgary? average player. Buffalo? product of the system. you are as lost in your assessment of the Rangers as Drury is on the ice. Rangers perennially OVERVALUE people like Drury. If you can't see this, then I feel sorry for you.

Drury isn't a "winner" or "clutch". He's been EXPOSED as a 3rd liner. And now, an aging, ineffectual 3rd liner. 7mm well spent.
Yes and no to him being "exposed" as a third liner. He's never been the centerpiece of a winner, but he's for a great deal of his athletic career been a vital piece to winners.

Drury was set up to fail in New York. He signed Drury to an unreal contract, which whether Sather realized it or not meant he'd have a hard time putting guys around Drury where success would be the likely outcome.

I say Drury's the least of our problems because he's not going away. The sooner all of you realize that the sooner we can talk real solutions, such as moving Kotalik, Higgins, Roszival, heck, there's probably even a way to get rid of Redden. But Drury's not only the captain, but has a full no movement clause, his family lives in connecticut if i'm not mistaken, and I'm sure he has no desire to leave New York. Even if he waived his clause to be traded, which is the only thing he'd waive it for(he would not waive it to go to Hartford), there aren't any possible suitors out there.

As for him as a captain, I think if you want to talk leadership Tortarella is the problem there. Torts handles his players in a no BS way, and he's ruffled some player's feathers the wrong way. You can't honestly tell me Kotalik, Lisin, Anisimov, etc. are fans of Torts. He plays favorites (just like Renney did at times) and I believe he thinks he's motivating players like Kotalik and Lisin by treating them like ****, but it's had a negative effect on most (Lisin did look good tonight in limited ice time, we'll see what happens. Maybe his foot's better.)

I don't at all get the feeling from interviews, that this team doesn't get along as a team. I feel as though they're all frustrated with losing and whenever I watch an interview I feel like negative things about Tortarella are on the tip of every player's tongue.

And I'm not even someone that wants to see Tortarella fired.

I don't think anyone doesn't respect or appreciate Drury in that lockerroom. I think Tortarella's relationship with both Drury and Callahan may be skewed, and perhaps Prospal instead of Redden or Gaborik getting the A is a sign of this, since he has a positive relationship with him from his Tampa days.

That's just me, none of us will ever actually know what goes on in the lockerroom and what kind of internal problems there are there.

Old
12-17-2009, 04:12 AM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
Torts handles his players in a no BS way, and he's ruffled some player's feathers the wrong way. You can't honestly tell me Kotalik, Lisin, Anisimov, etc. are fans of Torts.
Vinny Lecavalier. Marty St. Louis. Vinny Prospal. Just a few players who admitted they couldn't stand Torts but respected him as a coach for his honesty and for making them better all around players.

Players don't always have to like their coaches. Sometimes players can get too comfortable with a coach, as was supposedly the reason why Renney was let go; for losing his players.

Sometimes you need a coach that will push/motivate players to perform beyond casual standards/accepted norms.

Old
12-17-2009, 04:18 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Vinny Lecavalier. Marty St. Louis. Vinny Prospal. Just a few players who admitted they couldn't stand Torts but respected him as a coach for his honesty and for making them better all around players.

Players don't always have to like their coaches. Sometimes players can get too comfortable with a coach, as was supposedly the reason why Renney was let go; for losing his players.

Sometimes you need a coach that will push/motivate players to perform beyond casual standards/accepted norms.
You respect them when what they're working on with you is working. I'm not saying you've gotta like your coach, but your post is exactly what I think the problem is, I don't think a lot of the players respect him, and I more or less think it's because they don't feel like he respects them.

And say what you will, but I'm sure Lecavalier would not and will not want to play for Torts again, I always got the feeling he said all that about Torts to be politically correct about it.

Tortarella needs to take a page out of Tom Coughlin's book and realize there's a time to be a hardass and a time to let your players know you're on their side.

Old
12-17-2009, 04:40 AM
EmDeeZee4MVP

Quote:
You respect them when what they're working on with you is working. I'm not saying you've gotta like your coach, but your post is exactly what I think the problem is, I don't think a lot of the players respect him, and I more or less think it's because they don't feel like he respects them.

And say what you will, but I'm sure Lecavalier would not and will not want to play for Torts again, I always got the feeling he said all that about Torts to be politically correct about it.

Tortarella needs to take a page out of Tom Coughlin's book and realize there's a time to be a hardass and a time to let your players know you're on their side.
If the players don't respect Torts because he's too hard on them, then I'm sorry to say this, but they don't belong in this league.

If they're afraid of pressure, don't want to play hard on a consistent basis and are convenient with mediocrity, then thats the players problem, not the coach. The coach is just doing his job in motivating his team.

As for your other point, its not like Torts is in their faces all the time 24/7. He recognizes there's a time and a place for it. When he notices the team is putting forth a valiant effort, he rewards them. Not to use this example as my main argument, but remember the timeout against Columbus? He was doing everything but yell and scream at his players and they responded with 7 goals.

Is he fiery? Sure. But I wouldn't say he's out of control angry. However, when the team is on the losing streak their in, you can't blame him for being upset, especially with tonight's performance, or lack there of.

Old
12-17-2009, 05:34 AM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
I read gabby in the title but all i see is drury drury drury.....hmmmm

The Lunatic Fridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 06:06 AM
ck20

vCash: 1050
gaby won't be getting the C, maybe an A somewhere down the road. hank more than likely won't be getting the C either due to how "unconventional" it is. drury will never be stripped of the C. everything on this team will remain exactly the same and the "something" torts is eluding to is probably just switching lines up and calling up people from hartford. nothing new, don't get your hopes up. i mean, this is the rangers, do you guys expect a legitimate shake up or change?

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote