HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto - Chicago

Old
12-16-2009, 12:43 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Toronto - Chicago

Andrew Ladd + Brent Sopel for Garnet Exelby

Why for Chicago?
They are gonna be in rough financial shape next year, and definitely need to dump 10/11 salary. Sopel is pretty useless but still on contract for this year and next year (cap hit of $2.3 mil per year). Ladd is an RFA in the offseason, and they simply do not have the cap space to resign him, so he's gone regardless after this season, and he's not getting much ice time or producing too much this year anyways. They save money this year and much more importantly save cap space next year, and Exelby is a serviceable expiring contract who can fill Sopel's role.

Why for Toronto?
They take back extra salary for this year and next year, but get a reasonably talented young forward who is gritty and likely a good fit for a Burke team.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:52 PM
EucaLEAFtys

You may not have realized this yet, but Toronto doesn't have the cap-space to do that at this point in time. Plus, I highly doubt that Burke would want Sopel's contract on the books for next season with much of the defence already apparently in place for years to come.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 12:56 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Hawks don't do it.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:00 PM
ponder

Hmm, you're right, my math was off and Toronto would be *ever so slightly* over the cap. So they'd have to add in a touch more expiring salary, could be anyone really, probably a forward. It doesn't really matter who Toronto sends back, the basic idea is Sopel + Ladd for enough expiring salary to make it work, assuming said salary is a serviceable player/players for Chicago that Toronto doesn't mind letting go of.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Dylbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EucaLEAFtys View Post
You may not have realized this yet, but Toronto doesn't have the cap-space to do that at this point in time. Plus, I highly doubt that Burke would want Sopel's contract on the books for next season with much of the defence already apparently in place for years to come.
Agreed.

Look at what the Leafs have on the books on defence for next year.

Komisarek 4.5 million
Kaberle 4.25 million
Beauchemin 3.8 million
Finger 3.5 million
Schenn 2.975 million

Now add White at around 2-3 million. That's six guys around 21-22 million dollars. Can the Leafs afford to commit another 2.33 million for a seventh defenceman? I don't think so. Furthermore, it looks like Gunnarsson is the real deal and will likely be earn a roster spot as well. I don't think the Leafs are interested in taking on Sopel unless the Hawks want to bribe them with an irresistable pick or prospect.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:09 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
Agreed.

Look at what the Leafs have on the books on defence for next year.

Komisarek 4.5 million
Kaberle 4.25 million
Beauchemin 3.8 million
Finger 3.5 million
Schenn 2.975 million

Now add White at around 2-3 million. That's six guys around 21-22 million dollars. Can the Leafs afford to commit another 2.33 million for a seventh defenceman? I don't think so. Furthermore, it looks like Gunnarsson is the real deal and will likely be earn a roster spot as well. I don't think the Leafs are interested in taking on Sopel unless the Hawks want to bribe them with an irresistable pick or prospect.
Does that make White the odd man out then? 22 million is a lot on defense, that's Calgary territory.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Dylbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Does that make White the odd man out then? 22 million is a lot on defense, that's Calgary territory.
I don't think so. White has been the Leafs most consistant defender this season and at times, their best. If Van Ryn hadn't been placed on LTIR their cap hit on defence would be comparable or even a bit higher this season. If they need to cut down on their cap hit the Leafs would be better served waiving Blake than trading White. 22 million spent on defence is a lot, but it's money well spent. The Leafs wouldn't be alone in spending that much on the back end. That being said, you don't want to give another 2.33 million to a seventh guy.

Old
12-16-2009, 01:23 PM
glucker

Quote:
White is most certainly not the odd man out. If anyone is, it's likely Finger... he's the only guy on that list not earning his money

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:25 PM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Andrew Ladd + Brent Sopel for Garnet Exelby

Why for Chicago?
They are gonna be in rough financial shape next year, and definitely need to dump 10/11 salary. Sopel is pretty useless but still on contract for this year and next year (cap hit of $2.3 mil per year). Ladd is an RFA in the offseason, and they simply do not have the cap space to resign him, so he's gone regardless after this season, and he's not getting much ice time or producing too much this year anyways. They save money this year and much more importantly save cap space next year, and Exelby is a serviceable expiring contract who can fill Sopel's role.

Why for Toronto?
They take back extra salary for this year and next year, but get a reasonably talented young forward who is gritty and likely a good fit for a Burke team.
Nope.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:26 PM
wej20

Quote:
I don't think so. White has been the Leafs most consistant defender this season and at times, their best. If Van Ryn hadn't been placed on LTIR their cap hit on defence would be comparable or even a bit higher this season. If they need to cut down on their cap hit the Leafs would be better served waiving Blake than trading White. 22 million spent on defence is a lot, but it's money well spent. The Leafs wouldn't be alone in spending that much on the back end. That being said, you don't want to give another 2.33 million to a seventh guy.
Schenn,Finger and Komisarek won't move. I don't think Kaberle will be moved given he is the only legitimate offensive threat from the blue line, if he's moved I guess an offensive dmen is coming back in the package. If Gunnarsson is ready to play he could be a cheap option next year freeing up some cap space else where. So that leaves White and Beauchmin IMO, White is due a decent raise and has good trade value but is a fan favourite so maybe Burke will have to explore moving Beauchmin even though he was only signed in the summer.

Old
12-16-2009, 01:27 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by glucker View Post
White is most certainly not the odd man out. If anyone is, it's likely Finger... he's the only guy on that list not earning his money
Finger is pretty much untradeble unless the Leafs want to package a prospect or pick to move him.

Old
12-16-2009, 01:27 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Nah, they have to sign White, assuming he doesn't want an unreasonable raise. The 2.975 figure for Schenn counts his bonuses as well, which are obviously not going to be hit, so his cap hit is substantially less.

That said, Sopel is the last person this team wants or needs, so taking salary dumps on defence isn't really practical unless the player is destined for the Marlies.

Quote:
Finger is pretty much untradeble unless the Leafs want to package a prospect or pick to move him.
Yeah, pretty much. I think they could deal him if they took salary back though, he's a useful D, just overpaid. At 2 mil he'd be fine. Beauchemin is one of the last players who'll get moved, he's been leading the defence the last month or so.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Dylbot

Quote:
Schenn,Finger and Komisarek won't move. I don't think Kaberle will be moved given he is the only legitimate offensive threat from the blue line, if he's moved I guess an offensive dmen is coming back in the package. If Gunnarsson is ready to play he could be a cheap option next year freeing up some cap space else where. So that leaves White and Beauchmin IMO, White is due a decent raise and has good trade value but is a fan favourite so maybe Burke will have to explore moving Beauchmin even though he was only signed in the summer.
I don't understand why you think the Leafs need to make a trade. You need 7 NHL defenceman, in some cased 8. There are always injuries on the back end due to the rough and tumble nature of the position. After resigning White and keeping Gunnarsson on the roster you have 7, a perfect number.

Old
12-16-2009, 01:39 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

If the leafs make any trade involving Sopel, it will probably be with the intent of sending him to the minors.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 01:50 PM
wej20

Quote:
I don't understand why you think the Leafs need to make a trade. You need 7 NHL defenceman, in some cased 8. There are always injuries on the back end due to the rough and tumble nature of the position. After resigning White and keeping Gunnarsson on the roster you have 7, a perfect number.
Gunnarsson should be playing regularly so if he isn't in the top 6 he should be with the Marlies. I was suggesting that it's too much money invested in a mediocre defense and freeing up the cap space by moving one defenseman could allow Toronto to land a big FA. I'm not saying make a trade now but in the offseason.

Old
12-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Kevin Malone

Quote:
Burke will not trade Beauchemin, he just signed him and he has an A on his sweater. It's obvious he is here for the long haul. If anyone is moved it will be Finger who will likely be swapped for an underperforming winger.

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:11 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Gunnarsson should be playing regularly so if he isn't in the top 6 he should be with the Marlies. I was suggesting that it's too much money invested in a mediocre defense and freeing up the cap space by moving one defenseman could allow Toronto to land a big FA. I'm not saying make a trade now but in the offseason.
Woah woah woah. Now I see the problem. You are looking at the standings and the GA for the Leafs, and concluding that our defensive corps is mediocre.

I totally disagree.

The only defenseman on the Leafs who is overpaid is Finger... and he isn't a part of the core.

Kaberle (4.25) - Komisarek (4.5)
Beauchemin (3.8) - White (3)
Gunnarsson (.626) - Schenn (2.975)

All of those players are on reasonable salaries. If Burke wants to make a move and bring in more salary, then he can send Finger down to the AHL. Someone would likely take him on re-entry waivers.

Don't let the Leafs 0-7-1 start fool you, that is a very solid defensive group.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Iceybigbucks

Wouldn't mind seeing XLB get traded for young talent either. I just don't want to take on Sopels salary at this point, until some other things shake up a bit more with other teams.
But your proposal seems at least reasonable.

To me, Washington has some great young talent too, and are very similar with Chicago, they both should be top teams making a run this year and may need to unload some youth and add some more experienced players.

If Burke was to deal XLB why not aim for Washington who is also in need of adding a stay at home rugged defenseman.
One of their youngsters defenceman Joe Finey, 6'8/ 247 lbs drafted 27th overall, XLB could give the Washington defence some added toughness and if they wanted to do a bigger deal to impact a cup run they have a few more guys that are appealing as well Jeff Schultz and centerman Mathieu Perreault who is small but his quickness and creativity are huge plus he is a great passer who can also lite it up. (jus sayin)

Iceybigbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Blakefreein2012

Quote:
I Agree with you, White is my favorite leaf D-man, we gotta resign him or Trade him for something good up front.

Blakefreein2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 05:37 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

why would Chi Trade LADD + a solid playing Sopel for Exelby? We are in WIN NOW mode. and I keep Sopel now over Exelby. After the Season, Sopel will be gone.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Fozz

Exelby isn't helping Chicago in any way, shape or form. They'd more than likely want someone young with potential and not before the end of the season.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote