HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mueller to Rangers very close

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2009, 12:35 PM
In The Flesh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
am i the only guy who's not that excited about another player who's played 28g with one stinkin goal?
does this guy at least play physical, does hit hit? can he take a hit? anyone know

Old
12-17-2009, 12:36 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
It's one of those "but he has upside" trades... yet again.
Yeah, thats why it makes sense. Unfortunately it means yet another solid young d-man going the other way. We are going to be looking around the league and saying "what could have been" if they held onto some of these players.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:37 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
trading a 20 goal scorer with a couple of goals for a 30 goal scorer with one goal is a lateral move at best.

We need more forwards that can put the puck in the net. Period.
Higgins is a UFA at the end of the year. If we aren't going to pose a threat this season, which it appears we won't. Then it is better to get something for the asset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
am i the only guy who's not that excited about another player who's played 28g with one stinkin goal?
This would be a trade for upside. We'd be trading for what Mueller has to potential to be, not what he currently is.

Old
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Ehh, considering I dont think Higgins is here long-term I still think its a win. Mueller is the type of player that will be around for a long time and he has more value when he picks it back up because he is so young.
You do realize that Mueller is a 1.7/per cap hit, right? This for a guy with one goal?

Old
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

I'd rather not part with Sangs for a(nother) project.

Seems like every time we get a player that needs a "change of scenery" we provide the same damn scenery.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
does this guy at least play physical, does hit hit? can he take a hit? anyone know
He can take a hit, not the most physical player.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
I'd rather not part with Sangs for a(nother) project.

Seems like every time we get a player that needs a "change of scenery" we provide the same damn scenery.
What exactly do you expect to get for Sanguinetti?

12-17-2009, 12:39 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
You do realize that Mueller is a 1.7/per cap hit, right? This for a guy with one goal?
Peter Mueller had more points as an 18 y/o than Chris Higgins has ever had in any year he has played. I would say Mueller has a considerable more upside. (54 to 52)

Old
12-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Orr Nightmare

This is exactly what the Rangers need...another project.

How did that Zherdev trade go...the change of scenary did wonders for him.

Mueller is a stiff and soft.

How about we get a guy who plays with an edge.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Richter35

higgins for mule, they are getting boned, sangs for mule was turned down even tho I think its pretty fair value. if we are adding higgins on top of sangs there should be at least a 2nd coming back because as someone else said we'd be getting boned. I appreciate glen trading youth for youth and not geezers tho.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:42 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

mueller for sangs and higgins is a joke. not both of them. if its higgy for mueller i say yes. sangs for mueller is say yes. but not both.

not only is mueller in a deeeeeeeep slump and tryign to find his own game right now and thus sketchy on his immediate impact now, that would be severe overpayment for a guy with 1 friken goal.

why waste both those 2 on a guy like mueller ?

this reeks of knee jerk move.

wouldnt it just be easier to bite the bullet on rozy and dreary and call up grachev.

Old
ThirdEye

How much of a fluke was his first season anyway? Did anyone get to watch any Phoenix games that season?

This would be a weird trade because Mueller is not, and never really has been a goal scorer. He's a playmaker

Old
Edge

Keep in mind that Mueller is also in the last year of his contact, so he would need to be qualified.

Mueller intrigues me. I liked him a lot in 2006 and his rookie year was right on par. But something happened along the way, he just fell off a cliff.

Mueller has the talent to be a 25-30 goal, 70-80 point player. He's not the best skater, but he has solid size and (has) played with some heart and grit. He's not a fighter, but this is a kid who scouts once said played more like a product of Western Canada than Minnesota.

But his play has been simply unacceptable this year. He's got to try more and earn his icetime.

He's certainly talented enough to center a first line, but he can't pull a Jamie Lundmark and play like he feels entitled to it either.

Simply put - he's high risk, high reward at this point. Which is ironic because coming of juniors, i would've said he was a "safe" player.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:43 PM
NYR Viper

I Would think something like

Sanguinetti + Higgins

for

Mueller + 3rd

would make sense. The 2.1 cap hit from Higgins covers Muellers 1.7 and the Rangers get a 3rd rounder back which they are missing.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:45 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Peter Mueller had more points as an 18 y/o than Chris Higgins has ever had in any year he has played. I would say Mueller has a considerable more upside. (54 to 52)
Okay, now look up Petr Prucha while you're at it (47 in 68 games). One year is meaningless especially if he's on the first line because his team was awful. His ATOI has gone down every year since he started and I doubt that's because he's improving.

It's a lateral move that adds salary to the club. I don't do it unless it's for a prospect. This team is thin enough as it is up front and Higgins has more snarl than Mueller does.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:46 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

As much I'm ok to involve Sanguinetti in a trade, I'm not sure I would for Mueller... Not now anyway.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
What exactly do you expect to get for Sanguinetti?
Who said I wanted to get anything for Sangs?

I'd like to wait and see what we have 1st but that's just MHO.

Trade away tho... I'm sure this reclaimation will work out great.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I'd take this deal. Mueller, 21, 6'2 205, hands, hard shot, playmaking ability.

Thanks for the info Edge, always appreciated.

Old
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
How much of a fluke was his first season anyway? Did anyone get to watch any Phoenix games that season?

This would be a weird trade because Mueller is not, and never really has been a goal scorer. He's a playmaker
I don't think the first season was a fluke, but I do think he needs to work harder to get back to that level. The kid has legit talent.

Mueller is not a pure goal scorer. If you're looking for 40 goal upside, you're in the wrong place. But he does have the talent for 25-30.

Right now the Rangers don't have an abundance of goal scorers OR playmakers. This isn't a team filled with Nylander, Gomez, Straka and Rucinsky. This is a team that lacks overall offense on several levels.

As for any potential trade - theorectically both Mueller and Higgins are in the same boat.

Both are not working with their new teams, make around the same amount and could potentially come off the books at the end of the year.

Sanguinetti sweetens the pot and (if) Phoenix sends a pick, it gives the Rangers at least a gurantee of something at the end of the day.

But again, nothing is a done deal yet. No one needs to get too high or too low at this point.

The reason I don't typically post rumors any more is that they fall apart too easily and get people very worked up.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Okay, now look up Petr Prucha while you're at it (47 in 68 games). One year is meaningless especially if he's on the first line because his team was awful. His ATOI has gone down every year since he started and I doubt that's because he's improving.

It's a lateral move that adds salary to the club. I don't do it unless it's for a prospect. This team is thin enough as it is up front and Higgins has more snarl than Mueller does.
He is 21 years old, most prospects you are going to get are going to be about that age. He is 6'2 205lbs. Just like any prospect he has some work to do but his ceiling is as high, or higher than anyone else you are going to get your hands on. This isnt a 25y/o center, the kid still has some learning and growing to do.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:49 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I don't think the first season was a fluke, but I do think he needs to work harder to get back to that level. The kid has legit talent.

Mueller is not a pure goal scorer. If you're looking for 40 goal upside, you're in the wrong place. But he does have the talent for 25-30.

Right now the Rangers don't have an abundance of goal scorers OR playmakers. This isn't a team filled with Nylander, Gomez, Straka and Rucinsky. This is a team that lacks overall offense on several levels.

As for any potential trade - theorectically both Mueller and Higgins are in the same boat.

Both are not working with their new teams, make around the same amount and could potentially come off the books at the end of the year.

Sanguinetti sweetens the pot and (if) Phoenix sends a pick, it gives the Rangers at least a gurantee of something at the end of the day.

But again, nothing is a done deal yet. No one needs to get too high or too low at this point.

The reason I don't typically post rumors any more is that they fall apart too easily and get people very worked up.
Don't worry Edge, we all have a common enemy here, and his name is Glan Sather!

Old
12-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Mueller is 21.

And Higgins 'snarl' isn't doing anyone any good is it?

Old
12-17-2009, 12:50 PM
FLYLine24*

I would make the trade. Sangs is going to be moved sooner or later anyway, and i'd rather get a good "prospect" for a good prospect, instead of Sather trading Sangs for some 30 year old for a playoff run.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:51 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
This is exactly what the Rangers need...another project.

How did that Zherdev trade go...the change of scenary did wonders for him.

Mueller is a stiff and soft.

How about we get a guy who plays with an edge.
thats all I needed to hear, forget this guy.

Agreed!

Higgins for Mueller, fine, no Sangs though

Old
12-17-2009, 12:52 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
As much I'm ok to involve Sanguinetti in a trade, I'm not sure I would for Mueller... Not now anyway.
That's just it though. If Mueller was playing to his potential he wouldn't be available. Either you buy low and hope he puts it together or you pass completely on him. If you sit back and wait for him to put it together and then try to trade for him he will either be unavailable or you'll have to pay through the nose for him. This is another example of the position a team finds themselves in when you don't develop a first line forward in 10 years internally. You are forced to take Hail Mary chances on other teams talented problem children and hope it pans out. Like Zherdev.

Closed Thread