HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mueller to Rangers very close

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I don't know how that happens without Gaborik going the other way, if for no other reason than contracts/value.
He was BSing because he doesn't know that you actually have contacts and figured you were just making up a rumor

but yeah, Mueller...very intriguing for the Rangers but yet again it's a rolling of the dice and nothing for sure

If he got back on track, he actually is a legit top six player and the Rangers need those. But that could be a big If

edit: As for Sanguinetti, I still think he'll be a player, but with the emergence of Del Zotto, and Gilroy (despite being sent to the AHL) looking like he can hang in the NHL and provide much of what Sanguinetti does, Bobby is a bit expendable. Not to mention the Rangers have McDonagh knocking on the door soon...not that he plays the same game but it's an indication the organization would be dealing from a position of organizational strength

Old
12-17-2009, 12:54 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'd take this deal. Mueller, 21, 6'2 205, hands, hard shot, playmaking ability.

Thanks for the info Edge, always appreciated.
Me too...loved Mueller in the 2006 draft. I don't mind moving Sanguinetti for him. Kinda makes up for taking Sanguinetti over Berglund that year. IMO, definitely a player worth pursuing.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:00 PM
cmb572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
I'd rather not part with Sangs for a(nother) project.

Seems like every time we get a player that needs a "change of scenery" we provide the same damn scenery.
Classic.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Edge

I'm going to guess that if they get him, they're looking to see if he can find his playmaking touch centering Prospal and Gaborik. With his potential, they'd at least give him a look there and hope it works.

Or try him on the second line and see if Avery and Callahan light a fire under him.

It's certainly interesting. It's not a solution, but it at least has some upside to it.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:04 PM
NikC

Can we trade with anyone else beside Phoenix?

Mueller fell off the planet on a young team, that's not really under pressure to do anything but develop. I'm not that anxious to see him
come to the NYR, being that we're ready to win the cup every season.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:05 PM
McRanger

I love the idea of Mueller coming to the Rangers, but this speculation bothers me because if Sather was close to getting fired, I doubt he would be orchestarting trades.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:06 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
That's just it though. If Mueller was playing to his potential he wouldn't be available. Either you buy low and hope he puts it together or you pass completely on him. If you sit back and wait for him to put it together and then try to trade for him he will either be unavailable or you'll have to pay through the nose for him. This is another example of the position a team finds themselves in when you don't develop a first line forward in 10 years internally. You are forced to take Hail Mary chances on other teams talented problem children and hope it pans out. Like Zherdev.

aint that the truth! I think it's longer than 10 years right?
When was the last top six forward to come out of our system?
Savard? What a joke.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post

Mueller fell off the planet on a young team, that's not really under pressure to do anything but develop. I'm not that anxious to see him
I think right now it's a familiarity thing. It will wear off in time.

Having said that, I'm more inclined to take chances on younger players than older ones.

Zherdev didn't work out, but I'll try that over going after a 30 something player.

As someone else said, when your team is in the crapper - these are the kinds of moves you're limited to.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Levitate

Quote:

I popped over to the Coyotes board real fast and they have a thread about Mueller. Besides saying that he's been playing much better lately, they hinted at possible locker room problems with some of the older players. There's probably not much behind that, but it's kind of interesting to speculate

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
I love the idea of Mueller coming to the Rangers, but this speculation bothers me because if Sather was close to getting fired, I doubt he would be orchestarting trades.
why what else is he going to do. If he's close to getting fired he's probably working hard to save his ass

Old
12-17-2009, 01:09 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I think Barnett was GM when Mueller was drafted.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:09 PM
McRanger

Quote:
I'm going to guess that if they get him, they're looking to see if he can find his playmaking touch centering Prospal and Gaborik. With his potential, they'd at least give him a look there and hope it works.

Or try him on the second line and see if Avery and Callahan light a fire under him.

It's certainly interesting. It's not a solution, but it at least has some upside to it.
What do you think they do with all the centers? Torts seems almost obsessed with keeping Prospal at center even though Dubinsky is back, along with Drury, Anisimov and Boyle.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:

Hasn't Mueller been primarily a RW since entering the league? I'd stick him on a 2nd line with Anisimov and see what happens. I think Dubinsky should get a few more games with Gaborik before Torts starts messing with it.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:11 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't want to file this under rumor, mainly because I can't really reveal my sources, but I'm hearing a lot of chatter that Mueller to the Rangers is very close. What I seem to be hearing the most is that the deal would include Sanguinetti and a pick. Other rumors actually have Higgins to Phoenix and some other piece coming the other way.

As always, things change quickly and I cannot gurantee anything will happen.

But this one has been ongoing and is pretty darn close. Assuming Sather doesn't get fired first.
Are your sources suggesting Sather's job is on the line too?

Old
12-17-2009, 01:14 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
why what else is he going to do. If he's close to getting fired he's probably working hard to save his ass
That means that he will likely not be fired after the Isles game as its been "speculated". You think management will approve a trade a few hours before they make a decision at to whether or not they fire him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
I think Barnett was GM when Mueller was drafted.
The connection makes sense (as does the Maloney one), still if their are still deals in the works then Sather is not as close to getting chucked as we had hoped. At least not "in the next few hours" close.

Which comes as a dissapointment, which was my point.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:16 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Let me correct myself, Mueller has never scored 30 goals so it's one 20+ goal scorer for another and neither can score this year. Lateral move. Sangs & a pick, yes.
1) Cap space. If the Rangers do make a run before the deadline and look like they can do something (hard to see now, but the standings change every day), then it will save up some cap space for a deadline acquisition.

2) Ages; Contract Status. Higgins isn't doing much of anything, is 27 and will be a UFA after the season, almost surely to walk. Mueller is 21/22, will be an RFA next season, not in line for a big raise either, and will be under Rangers control for 4 more years.

This could be a good move for the present and future of the Rangers.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:20 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Not trying to say Edge is wrong because he may be completely 100% right...but just my 2 cents

This doesn't really make sense because the Coyotes are not very weak defensively now or in the future. Right now they have a solid top six in Jovo, Vandermeer, Michalek, Yandle, Aucoin, and Lepisto. Schlemko has been the seventh defenseman for a bit and when Sauer comes back he will be inserted in the top six. You account for the fact Yandle (23) and Michalek (26) have a decent amount of years left as well as young prospects like Goncharov, Summers, and Ekman-Larsson soon to be up, not to mention other D prospects like Stone and Ross.

Just doesn't seem to make sense from a PHX perspective but I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:21 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
That means that he will likely not be fired after the Isles game as its been "speculated". You think management will approve a trade a few hours before they make a decision at to whether or not they fire him?

The connection makes sense (as does the Maloney one), still if their are still deals in the works then Sather is not as close to getting chucked as we had hoped. At least not "in the next few hours" close.

Which comes as a dissapointment, which was my point.
Sather is President and GM of the Rangers... there is no "management" above him in the hockey sense. He has complete reigns over the organization and no one approves any moves he makes until the point when Dolan relieves him of duty.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:22 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Sather is President and GM of the Rangers... there is no "management" above him in the hockey sense. He has complete reigns over the organization and no one approves any moves he makes until the point when Dolan relieves him of duty.
hopefully this will be over soon...

Old
12-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Just doesn't seem to make sense from a PHX perspective but I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.
Yeah but Maloney tends to latch onto players he drafted that he loved...I'm 100% sure he traded for Korpikoski because he was absolutely head over heels for him at the draft and continued saying for years that he loves the pick and just to give Laurie more time.

I don't remember Maloney's feelings about Sanguinetti, but if really loved the pick at the time...then it seriously wouldn't surprise me to see him make a move to pick the guy up

Old
12-17-2009, 01:25 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Another question mark... wooo hooo!

Old
12-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Iceybigbucks

I could see Mueller and Kotalik becoming effective and play well together, giving the Rangers' top two lines a little more punch on the scoreboard, but me being a Leaf fan, would prefer to see Mueller be reunited with Kessel. drats

Old
12-17-2009, 01:30 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
aint that the truth! I think it's longer than 10 years right?
When was the last top six forward to come out of our system?
Savard? What a joke.
Yep. I believe we took Savard in the '95 draft. So 15 years since we have drafted and developed a 1st line forward. Pretty sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
This doesn't really make sense because the Coyotes are not very weak defensively now or in the future.
FutureGM97, since you are a Coyote/Ranger fan and I am guessing you have watched quite a bit of Mueller, what is your take on him?

Old
12-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
I am worried Torts would ruin the kid even more, his game has struggled he is in a similar predicament as Lisin and we all know how Torts handles the accountability thing with the young guys... Either way I'd be excited to get him.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:38 PM
LyNX27

As far as I know, Higgins has a 1 year contract, so turning him over for Mueller would be pretty nice.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:38 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
What do you think they do with all the centers? Torts seems almost obsessed with keeping Prospal at center even though Dubinsky is back, along with Drury, Anisimov and Boyle.
Oddly enough, Drury was seeing time on RW last night.

Closed Thread