HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella must lay down law

Old
12-17-2009, 06:39 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Tortorella must lay down law

Quote:
Now is the time for Tortorella to personally embrace the "Safe is Death," philosophy he espoused in Tampa and have the nerve to tell Glen Sather, his boss, that the millions he spent on Wade Redden and Michal Rozsival would have been better invested with Bernie Madoff.

Now is the time for the head coach to justify the badge on his chest by figuring out how to reduce Chris Drury's minutes and responsibility without embarrassing the earnest but painfully ineffective captain, no easy task at all.
Quote:
Now that the Rangers don't have the puck the way they did the first few weeks of the season, Redden is regressing to last season. Rozsival has had a couple of marginally better performances since last Wednesday in Chicago, but he won't touch a soul.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...y9jIxBfC7JNMFM

If Sather refuses to waive either Redden or Rozsival, Torts should make them a healthy scratch until the Rangers waive one of them. Play Bobby Sanguinetti.

Redden always loses loose puck battles. Whether its in front of the net such as the Toews goal last week in Chicago or the numerous times he steps up the neutral zone/loses the puck at the point and the puck somehow ends up behind him with the opposing team going in on a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2.

Torts should strip Drury of the C. Tom Renney named Drury the captain. Brent Sutter stripped Patrik Elias of the C and gave it to Jamie Langenbrunner. Elias accepted it and moved on. Sutter wanted his own captain. Drury is a big boy. Suck it up,shut up and move on. Relieve Drury the "burden" of being the captain.

Some people made money with Madoff.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Section311

I totally agree. There is no reason Drury should be our captian and Rosy should be waived.

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 07:11 AM
zestystrat

Is the C really the issue here?

I'm not saying CD has been great, but I don't think it's the C that's the issue.

This is a pretty apathetic team and like Brooksie says Torts has it in him to "motivate" these guys. If CD isn't stepping up capt dept, there are some vets who can/should. Who knows what's going on behind closed doors.

Let's put this in Slats lap. For all of Torts input, he was saddled with some pretty big immovable objects. This is Slats mess.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
Seems like there's too many issues to address in one shot.

Brooks is right though. It's a clone of the situation was in during Renney's final days. Knowing how much has changed, and here you are at the same place anyway, I just sit here scratch my head as to how you go about fixing it.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

Brooks is right though. It's a clone of the situation was in during Renney's final days. Knowing how much has changed, and here you are at the same place anyway, I just sit here scratch my head as to how you go about fixing it.
It kind of pains me to say it, because I kind of like these players, but it's the same core group that "gave up" on Renney as well...Drury, Rozsival, Redden, Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal, Girardi...

Maybe it's me making something out of nothing but at the same time, I can't help but feel that as returning players, they're supposed to be the core of the team, and if they're flopping again and giving up on another coach (can't say I'm sure about that yet) then something is just wrong with these players

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 08:26 AM
NikC

i don't feel sorry for 7m dollar man Drury. Let him suffer the embarrassment. He's earned it.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
It kind of pains me to say it, because I kind of like these players, but it's the same core group that "gave up" on Renney as well...Drury, Rozsival, Redden, Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal, Girardi...
I agree, but how do you answer for the fact that, say, Prospal, a consummate veteran with a healthy respect for this particular coach, is behaving exactly the same way? You'd think that the oldest guy on the team wouldn't be afraid to step up and call it like he sees it, right?

Old
12-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Levitate

Quote:
I agree, but how do you answer for the fact that, say, Prospal, a consummate veteran with a healthy respect for this particular coach, is behaving exactly the same way? You'd think that the oldest guy on the team wouldn't be afraid to step up and call it like he sees it, right?
In Prospal's case I think it's just that he's not *that* good by himself and needs to play a lot with someone like Gaborik

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:29 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post

I'm not saying CD has been great, but I don't think it's the C that's the issue.

This is a pretty apathetic team and like Brooksie says Torts has it in him to "motivate" these guys. If CD isn't stepping up capt dept, there are some vets who can/should. Who knows what's going on behind closed doors.

Let's put this in Slats lap. For all of Torts input, he was saddled with some pretty big immovable objects. This is Slats mess.
My vote is yes. Stripping Drury of the C won't make Rozsival and Redden magically play better. But let's think about this for a second. Last season, Drury was given the full leadership role of the team. Surprise, surprise, the team tuned out Renney, a successful coach of 3? seasons. So a new coach comes in, keeps Drury as captain. Team tunes out coach #2. Drury still captain.

Sorry, but the common denominator here is the Captain and overall player leadership (or lack thereof) on this team. Drury is a terrible captain. I don't care HOW he supposedly leads, whether it be by example, speak softly and carry a big stick, or what he does. The fact of the matter is that he's been Captain during both of the tune-outs. Whatever his method of leadership is, it's not working.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:06 AM
bumrusherer

To be fair, what is stripping someone of the captaincy going to do?

Unless the player is absolutely hated by his teammates...I really dont see what having a letter on your sweater is going to do. This isnt some pee-wee league where the kids have to gravitate to the best player because they cant do anything without him.
These are grown men out there and it shouldnt matter who is captain, you take pride in what you do and be your own captain. Everyone should act like they are captains out there.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
In Prospal's case I think it's just that he's not *that* good by himself and needs to play a lot with someone like Gaborik
As Sullivan put it last night, "It's the will, not the skill" that's a problem for the coaching staff.

I use Vinny as example because, I wouldn't expect the guy to sign on for this if he didn't anticipate having to "follow Torts through walls" to meet his expectations, then basically decide he's not going to bother.

Old
12-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
As Sullivan put it last night, "It's the will, not the skill" that's a problem for the coaching staff.

I use Vinny as example because, I wouldn't expect the guy to sign on for this if he didn't anticipate having to "follow Torts through walls" to meet his expectations, then basically decide he's not going to bother.
Excellent point.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 12:45 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

heres what should be done.

1. change captains. give the C to hank. this team has quit on chris dreary. hes the real leader of this team. hes the guy who represents us the best. hes articulate and hes passionate. hes the face of this franchise and hes one of the top netminders in the league.

result : wake up the players and give them something to play for. play for hank and take some friggin pride.

2. slats should waive rozy. dump him. hes done. toast. his shots again last night we blocked. blocked. blocked. he has nothing. he does nothing. he is the face of this team. overpaid, underachieving and emotionless. he need s to go away.

result : cap room and most importantly, more time for guys like beer and sangs. can they be worse? really.

3. cut dreary back to 4th line center. make him a checking centerman whos good at faceoffs and plays the pk because, well........ thats what he is. hes done. forget the contract, limit his damage. it AINT ABOUT HIM PLAYING MORE ITS ABOUT HIM TAKING MINUTES FROM ARTY. get frury the frig off the top 3 lines.

result : let arty and boyle play more minutes. both of those guys will produce more. drury is over.

4. play more guys torts. listen, weve seen what playing 6 forwards gets you. the 2nd worse team in the league. play gaby and vinny less and theyll be fresher late and more effective. remember when gaby was mr 3rd period ?? now hes mr no period. hes gettin worn down from too much play and too much over use. give guys like artry, boyle, LISIN more ice. and for the love of god, CALL UP GRACHEV.

result : more energy from the studs who play less, more energy from the young guys and more overall jump.

5. FIX THE PP. go back and watch film. kotalik used to be on top firing away one timers. now hes off to the side, out of position and doing nothing. go back to setting up his shot instead of moving him all around. eliminating rozy will improve the pp. keep mdz and kotalik on top and work the pp off kotes shot. weve lost that and gone back to overpassing and thus, the pp is awful.

result : pp needs to score. if we can score 1 pp goal per game more, we win games. peiod.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:00 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:

Seems like the same players are here causing the issues, doesn't it?

Levitate mentioned this... missed his post

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

I think the big thing to take out of that article is

Quote:
It is all but impossible to believe that the Rangers are quitting on their second coach in less than six hockey months, no matter how abrasive or confrontational Tortorella might-or might not-be while interacting with the athletes. It can't be.

But if the impossible is not, if the Rangers somehow are shutting down on this coach whom they professed to be ready to follow through a brick wall in September, shame on them. They have not earned the right.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:23 PM
NikC

Tort's 12/16 post game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqES2XfAKLI

whoa somebody's mad!

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:38 PM
LamoTheKid

I have no proof, but I'm convinced Drurys "I don't care" attitude is rubbing off on this team. I'm not saying he's completely at fault (I hate how I have to put this disclaimer in, but some idiot will jump on me for this) but goddamnit dude if you're going to wear that C you'd better be ready to do something when your team is in the dumps like this.

Yep, its speculation, but its my theory. Young guys see Redden and Drury makin it rain while not giving a **** or trying and they say, hey, i can do this too. It trickles down.

GIVE THE C TO DUBI AND LETS MOVE ON.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
I have no proof, but I'm convinced Drurys "I don't care" attitude is rubbing off on this team. I'm not saying he's completely at fault (I hate how I have to put this disclaimer in, but some idiot will jump on me for this) but goddamnit dude if you're going to wear that C you'd better be ready to do something when your team is in the dumps like this.

Yep, its speculation, but its my theory. Young guys see Redden and Drury makin it rain while not giving a **** or trying and they say, hey, i can do this too. It trickles down.

GIVE THE C TO DUBI AND LETS MOVE ON.
Really? No, really???

You post this everyday, MOVE ON !

Old
12-17-2009, 01:50 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Really? No, really???

You post this everyday, MOVE ON !
Hahaha, you got me. Its just frustrating. and I meant for the team to move on, i rather like harping on this

Old
12-17-2009, 01:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Who needs a classy and articulate Tom Renney when you can have this leader of men?

12-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Who needs a classy and articulate Tom Renney when you can have this leader of men?
Are you really surprised though that our fanbase relates more to Torts than Renney?

Old
12-17-2009, 02:06 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
My vote is yes. Stripping Drury of the C won't make Rozsival and Redden magically play better. But let's think about this for a second. Last season, Drury was given the full leadership role of the team. Surprise, surprise, the team tuned out Renney, a successful coach of 3? seasons. So a new coach comes in, keeps Drury as captain. Team tunes out coach #2. Drury still captain.

Sorry, but the common denominator here is the Captain and overall player leadership (or lack thereof) on this team. Drury is a terrible captain. I don't care HOW he supposedly leads, whether it be by example, speak softly and carry a big stick, or what he does. The fact of the matter is that he's been Captain during both of the tune-outs. Whatever his method of leadership is, it's not working.
It's not the captain's job to make players play hard for their coach. That's the coach's job.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
i personally think drury should be waived over rozi if we're talking about waiving guys. rozi hasn't been horrible like the other stooges. redden probably equally deserves to be waived.

and if we're talking about decreasing minutes, the last thing tortorella should be concerned about is embarrassing drury-- who has done nothing but embarrass himself and the rangers.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 02:14 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
It's not the captain's job to make players play hard for their coach. That's the coach's job.
See Messier, Mark, circa 1994

Old
12-17-2009, 02:15 PM
FDBluth

Hi guys, I'm an outsider to the Rangers so I don't really know the dynamics of the team...

But isn't Brooks the guy that Tortorella has always had a bit of a feud with? It seems that this article is just as much about hitting Tortorella with a few low blows as it is about actually trying to figure out what's wrong with the team.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote