HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mueller to Rangers very close

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2009, 01:44 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
I think this is a bad move, but not because I don't want to take a chance on Mueller. That'd be great, but this seems like overpayment. Sanguinetti has played a couple of games. This guy is leading the AHL. Maybe he just needs some time to adjust to the NHL game. Understanding how to play great at both ends of the ice from the defense position, not to mention having the physical ability to do so, is perhaps the rarest tool in the sport. Those players are usually incredibly valuable. At least give the kid the chance to play in the NHL for more than a weekend.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:48 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
I dont want any part of trading Sanguinetti.

Higgens for Mueller sounds like an even trade, but I dont really see how that would help us at this point. Both are struggling and personally I think Higgens has the potential to be good here..although he isn't doing a good job of helping me make that case.

We'll see how it plays out.

12-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
What do you think they do with all the centers? Torts seems almost obsessed with keeping Prospal at center even though Dubinsky is back, along with Drury, Anisimov and Boyle.
well if he loses Higgins, he has to move someone to the left. My guess is that it's Prospal.

Mueller can also play the right side. He may also shift Drury to the wings as well.

Frankly, I'm not really sure what the Rangers do.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Hasn't Mueller been primarily a RW since entering the league? I'd stick him on a 2nd line with Anisimov and see what happens. I think Dubinsky should get a few more games with Gaborik before Torts starts messing with it.
He played a lot more center his rookie year. He primarily played RW last year and the plan was to shift him back to center this year.

Some people felt that moving him in the first place was what started to throw things off. i'm not saying they are correct, merely that the belief is out there.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Are your sources suggesting Sather's job is on the line too?
It's out there, though i don't think tonight's game is the make or break.

To me, that theory just doesn't make a lot of sense. Like somehow if the Rangers win tonight, that Sather is doing a better job.

Now if this keeps for another 3 games, then I would not be surprised.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:55 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I think this is a bad move, but not because I don't want to take a chance on Mueller. That'd be great, but this seems like overpayment. Sanguinetti has played a couple of games. This guy is leading the AHL. Maybe he just needs some time to adjust to the NHL game. Understanding how to play great at both ends of the ice from the defense position, not to mention having the physical ability to do so, is perhaps the rarest tool in the sport. Those players are usually incredibly valuable. At least give the kid the chance to play in the NHL for more than a weekend.
For some reason it seems like Torts isn't a big Sangs fan. I just get the sense that the organization as come to the conclusion that Sangs will be the D-Man prospect who is the odd man out. I have no clue why it appears to have played out this way because like you said he really hasn't been given a chance to show his stuff at the NHL level over a period of time.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:56 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I don't want to file this under rumor, mainly because I can't really reveal my sources, but I'm hearing a lot of chatter that Mueller to the Rangers is very close. What I seem to be hearing the most is that the deal would include Sanguinetti and a pick. Other rumors actually have Higgins to Phoenix and some other piece coming the other way.

As always, things change quickly and I cannot gurantee anything will happen.

But this one has been ongoing and is pretty darn close. Assuming Sather doesn't get fired first.
Edge, you might remember my great admiration of Mueller during his draft year, maybe not. Anyway I'd love to get this guy as long as we don't give up too much. Sags and a 3rd round is ok, Sags + Higgins is even better.

We need offensive forwards. I'd start breaking up the team and going a full rebuild. Go for the #1 pick. We need that franchise type offensive forward that starts his career here. Meuller is a perfect #2 possibly #1. Great leader.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
am i the only guy who's not that excited about another player who's played 28g with one stinkin goal?
no, i'm with you. whatever mueller has done, he certainly hasn't proved himself. at this stage in the game we can't afford to take the same gambles we've been taking that got us into this mess.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:59 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Mueller's got no heart or drive. He is a pure perimeter player...just what the Rangers need.

I'm not 100% opposed to trading Sangs but I feel that this is a classic case of giving up on a player too early. Everyone is pencilling Gilroy in as our offensive defenseman of the future...but remind me again what exactly has he shown at the NHL level (besides footspeed)?

DarthSather99

Quote:
It's out there, though i don't think tonight's game is the make or break.

To me, that theory just doesn't make a lot of sense. Like somehow if the Rangers win tonight, that Sather is doing a better job.

Now if this keeps for another 3 games, then I would not be surprised.
The Rangers actually are playing a group of very beatable teams over the next few weeks. If we can't win those games and go on a winning streak then we are in trouble. I'd actually like to see it happen if for nothing else to get rid of Sather.

Edge, you know when George McPhee's contract is up? I'd like to see him as our GM.

Old
Levitate

No everyone is penciling in Del Zotto as the offensive defenseman of the future.

Old
12-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I remember joking about Mueller early in his carreer hen he had such success, we traded Montoya for Sjostrom and when people were complaining my reaction was "Who did you think wed get, Peter freaking Mueller?" What a difference a couple of years makes. 28 games 1 goal= unbelievable.

That said while I think Sangs may be a bust, this isnt the guy i want for him.

Old
12-17-2009, 02:03 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
No everyone is penciling in Del Zotto as the offensive defenseman of the future.
Obviously, I meant aside from him in our top-4.

Old
12-17-2009, 02:05 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

sangs really makes no sense. donnie already said no once. they are pretty stacked at d now. it just doesnt make sense that they would revisit this again unless we sweeten the deal substantially.

not so sure higgins and sangs are worth mueller unless we get back say a 3rd rounder.

higgins/sangs

mueller/ 3rd

its doable but im very meh on this

still dont believe mueller helps us win games now and hes definitely a maybe for the future.

Old
12-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If, in this season we land a kid with potential upside(No matter how unlikely) for an impending failed UFA in Higgins...

Epic Win.

Old
12-17-2009, 02:09 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
That said while I think Sangs may be a bust, this isnt the guy i want for him.

You have a very interesting definition of the word "bust."

Old
12-17-2009, 02:09 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
huh ? yer kidding right?

the guy is perhaps the best passer i have seen in a rangers jersey since well..... ever.

his pp work is strong and he has a more than decent shot.

im not sure i understand what you are saying here.

Old
12-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
He played a lot more center his rookie year. He primarily played RW last year and the plan was to shift him back to center this year.

Some people felt that moving him in the first place was what started to throw things off. i'm not saying they are correct, merely that the belief is out there.
Interesting. He also wound up with a concussion at one point during his sophomore season, right?

I think Mueller is the kind of player the Rangers should be targeting at this point, but I have my doubts about Tortorella helping the kid return to form.

Old
12-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
You have a very interesting definition of the word "bust."
My definition of bust, is a guy who wont be able to play NHL hockey for a period of more than 3-4 seasons. Especially for a first round pick.

I want to kid to succeed. I just dont know if his defensive abilities will ever warrant him a roster spot. Ozolinch anybody?

Old
12-17-2009, 02:12 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I just really hope we don't give a lot up for yet another project player that didn't pan out in their original city

Old
pwoz

Mueller.... Mueller....

Old
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
FutureGM97, since you are a Coyote/Ranger fan and I am guessing you have watched quite a bit of Mueller, what is your take on him?
I haven't been able to watch a TON of Yotes games since I am in Connecticut so there may be others on here who can provide a better perspective but here is mine:

Mueller has the talent to be a very good scorer in this league. He showed it his rookie year and there is no reason to think he can't do it again. His sophomore year was riddled with injuries and was one he would probably rather forget. This season he has come back slimmer and a much better skater and has recently been looking alot better in terms of passing and getting offensive chances.

In terms of work ethic you may want to ask other Yotes fans like bobbop who see him more often but thats my take on him.

Old
12-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
If, in this season we land a kid with potential upside(No matter how unlikely) for an impending failed UFA in Higgins...

Epic Win.
Theres no way, NO WAY, its Higgins/Mueller straight up.

NOW, what do you say if Sangs is included, but we also get back Maxim Goncharov? He's friends and plays defense with our draft pick Mikhail Pashnin on CSKA Russia

Old
12-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
huh ? yer kidding right?

the guy is perhaps the best passer i have seen in a rangers jersey since well..... ever.

his pp work is strong and he has a more than decent shot.

im not sure i understand what you are saying here.
I meant the guy I was responding to said that Gilroy is the offensive defenseman of the future. I said no, that Del Zotto is.

As in, most people feel that Del Zotto's emergence makes Sanguinetti expendable.

Old
12-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Theres no way, NO WAY, its Higgins/Mueller straight up.

NOW, what do you say if Sangs is included, but we also get back Maxim Goncharov? He's friends and plays defense with our draft pick Mikhail Pashnin on CSKA Russia
Ive seen and like Pashnin, I think he could be a Rachunek type defenseman, but I know jack about the guy you mentioned.

Its not the biggest loss in the world if Saggy gets dealt. Id just like to it be for a proven scorer. If anything this open the door for more looks at Sauer.

Closed Thread