HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella must lay down law

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2009, 02:16 PM
  #26
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,074
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
It's not the captain's job to make players play hard for their coach. That's the coach's job.
I was starting to feel like Tortorella might have been to blame, but it's more and more evident that the core of this apple is rotten. I'd rather keep Torts than keep the fearless leader and his partners is not giving a ****, Redden and Rozsival.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 02:17 PM
  #27
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Hi guys, I'm an outsider to the Rangers so I don't really know the dynamics of the team...

But isn't Brooks the guy that Tortorella has always had a bit of a feud with? It seems that this article is just as much about hitting Tortorella with a few low blows as it is about actually trying to figure out what's wrong with the team.
Yep. The Torts-Brooks feud is more entertaining than the Rangers.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 02:58 PM
  #28
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Who needs a classy and articulate Tom Renney when you can have this leader of men?
sorry but i'll pass on Renney any day for Torts. Although i must say, I'm not too impressed with him so far. This roster he has stinks though.
it's all there on the ice to see.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 03:17 PM
  #29
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...y9jIxBfC7JNMFM

If Sather refuses to waive either Redden or Rozsival, Torts should make them a healthy scratch until the Rangers waive one of them. Play Bobby Sanguinetti.

Redden always loses loose puck battles. Whether its in front of the net such as the Toews goal last week in Chicago or the numerous times he steps up the neutral zone/loses the puck at the point and the puck somehow ends up behind him with the opposing team going in on a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2.

Torts should strip Drury of the C. Tom Renney named Drury the captain. Brent Sutter stripped Patrik Elias of the C and gave it to Jamie Langenbrunner. Elias accepted it and moved on. Sutter wanted his own captain. Drury is a big boy. Suck it up,shut up and move on. Relieve Drury the "burden" of being the captain.

Some people made money with Madoff.
I cited this last night. I think it's hard to do that mid-season, though. But at this point, I think Drury's feelings should take a back-seat to the team's success, especially considering his gigantic paycheck.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 03:30 PM
  #30
LamoTheKid
Registered User
 
LamoTheKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I cited this last night. I think it's hard to do that mid-season, though. But at this point, I think Drury's feelings should take a back-seat to the team's success, especially considering his gigantic paycheck.
Well, he wont let it ruin his xmas, we know that for sure.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 03:33 PM
  #31
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
sorry but i'll pass on Renney any day for Torts. Although i must say, I'm not too impressed with him so far. This roster he has stinks though.
it's all there on the ice to see.
*******s are certainly entertaining.

I have to admit I was laughing during Torts' post game presser last night.

But when it comes to running the team, Ill take the steady and classy hand of Tom Renney who had a nice run here over the volatile clown thats overseeing this implosion after less than a year on the job.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 03:35 PM
  #32
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
It's not the captain's job to make players play hard for their coach. That's the coach's job.
Actually I think that is his main job. At the very least he can lead by example. Stike that, he is leading by example and his failure to rise to the occassion or be an emotional spark is absolutely enveloping this team in a black hole.



I see that our core guys are being blamed for quitting on the coach, and the names of Staal, Callahan and Dubinsky are odd to me. Staal because I thought he played his balls off for Renney, so I don't see the quitting on two coaches thing for him. Callahan and Dubinsky may have/should have hated Renney, but Dubi was hurt for most of the season and I don't see the quit in Cally. Also Dubinsky got hurt right at the beginning of the fall, 'if' he did quit it would have been while the team was doing well.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 04:05 PM
  #33
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
if you watch this video its very telling. torts may be mad but he looked like a dope.


the question about "dirty goals", torts seems bitter, angry that we arent getting those goals. he says we never get them. he seems like hes resigned that this team is almost unable to score. its weird.

but hes partially correct. hank gives up a crappy goal almost nightly and some are garbage deflections, etc. but dirty goals are the product of getting dirty, going hard to the net and going into places that arent the perimiter. we dont get many because we dont go there and make our own dirty goals.

lisins goal last night prolly would have gone in BUT, weve had a few examples of slam dunk goals NOT go in, so who can say a stick doesnt come out of nowhere and sweep that puck off the goal line. a goal is a goal and at this point well take em any way we can. i can think of any number of avery and higgins chances that seemed like they were in the net, wide open goals, etc. and we come up with nothing.

2. brooksies question gets him when he asked why the team played so bad the first 20min.. theres a long awkward pause when brooks say what do you need to do and torts says play efin harder and brooks says...no YOU. what do you need to do. and torts stumbles and then says it will be decided before tomos game larry. he completely failed there. didnt ackowledge the question and gave an answer deflecting his responsability. he doesnt say what he can do. nothing. very telling. brooks really zinged him good and torts look like a tool.

3. torts answer about playing "like this" in a game like this is unacceptable and saying there has to be something done. and then hes says well see all the waywhats gonna be done. huh ? wheres the accountability. wheres the conviction ?

fail.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 04:25 PM
  #34
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,904
vCash: 500
Am I the only one satisfied with the performance of Redden this season? I think he's been pretty well rounded and dependable and is good to have on the team for the young kids (Gilroy, Del Zotto, Sanguinetti, etc.).

Waiving Rozsival, sure, Redden? Not so much. We are a worse team without him.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 04:29 PM
  #35
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
if you watch this video its very telling. torts may be mad but he looked like a dope.


the question about "dirty goals", torts seems bitter, angry that we arent getting those goals. he says we never get them. he seems like hes resigned that this team is almost unable to score. its weird.

but hes partially correct. hank gives up a crappy goal almost nightly and some are garbage deflections, etc. but dirty goals are the product of getting dirty, going hard to the net and going into places that arent the perimiter. we dont get many because we dont go there and make our own dirty goals.

lisins goal last night prolly would have gone in BUT, weve had a few examples of slam dunk goals NOT go in, so who can say a stick doesnt come out of nowhere and sweep that puck off the goal line. a goal is a goal and at this point well take em any way we can. i can think of any number of avery and higgins chances that seemed like they were in the net, wide open goals, etc. and we come up with nothing.

2. brooksies question gets him when he asked why the team played so bad the first 20min.. theres a long awkward pause when brooks say what do you need to do and torts says play efin harder and brooks says...no YOU. what do you need to do. and torts stumbles and then says it will be decided before tomos game larry. he completely failed there. didnt ackowledge the question and gave an answer deflecting his responsability. he doesnt say what he can do. nothing. very telling. brooks really zinged him good and torts look like a tool.

3. torts answer about playing "like this" in a game like this is unacceptable and saying there has to be something done. and then hes says well see all the waywhats gonna be done. huh ? wheres the accountability. wheres the conviction ?

fail.
He looks like a guy who's pissed at the effort he saw. I'd be concerned if he wasn't.

1. Obviously the guys are supposed to be crashing the net harder, we had this problem under Renney too, guys just don't seem to feel like going to the dirty areas.

2. Yeah he was really had. He should be fired for mishearing a question in the post game press conference. And saying he doesn't know what to do is letting the team know, in the end it's their responsibility how the game goes. The coach can't go play the game for them.

3. He's scratching Redden and Kotalik tonight, that's doing nothing? about 10 mil will be watching the game in street clothes tonight. So you hate on him for not thinking enough (which I don't agree with), then you hate on him for wanting to think about how he wanted to address the situation. He probably wanted to scratch the whole team after that, but you obviously can't do that unfortunately.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 04:44 PM
  #36
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,074
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

the question about "dirty goals", torts seems bitter, angry that we arent getting those goals. he says we never get them. he seems like hes resigned that this team is almost unable to score. its weird.
They can't score. This has not been an issue only for Tortorella. Do people have selective memories?

Quote:
but hes partially correct. hank gives up a crappy goal almost nightly and some are garbage deflections, etc. but dirty goals are the product of getting dirty, going hard to the net and going into places that arent the perimiter. we dont get many because we dont go there and make our own dirty goals.
So how was Tortorella wrong in getting pissed off that the forwards have been utterly useless? I find it hard to blame him since this IS a recurring theme. Henrik giving up a "bad goal" every once in a while should not be a deal breaker for this team. He has a 1.94 GAA .927 SV% in his last few (5) starts and the team still hasn't scored any goals.

Quote:
lisins goal last night prolly would have gone in BUT, weve had a few examples of slam dunk goals NOT go in, so who can say a stick doesnt come out of nowhere and sweep that puck off the goal line. a goal is a goal and at this point well take em any way we can. i can think of any number of avery and higgins chances that seemed like they were in the net, wide open goals, etc. and we come up with nothing.
Do you think this is because of Torts coaching or because the players just aren't any good?

Quote:
2. brooksies question gets him when he asked why the team played so bad the first 20min.. theres a long awkward pause when brooks say what do you need to do and torts says play effin harder and brooks says...no YOU. what do you need to do. and torts stumbles and then says it will be decided before tomos game larry. he completely failed there. didnt ackowledge the question and gave an answer deflecting his responsability. he doesnt say what he can do. nothing. very telling. brooks really zinged him good and torts look like a tool.
I don't think Brooks was doing anyone any favors other than himself with that one. What does he want Torts to say? Torts could very well explain in amazing detail his game plan and what he is doing on a player by player basis, but he isn't the one out on the ice giving a half assed effort. He isn't the Captain in the locker room saying things like "Well at least we play them tomorrow so we don't sit and have to talk about this".

Quote:
3. torts answer about playing "like this" in a game like this is unacceptable and saying there has to be something done. and then hes says well see all the way whats gonna be done. huh ? wheres the accountability. wheres the conviction ?

fail.
I agree fail on the Rangers part for not playing in a rivalry game or A game the entire year. I could count on one hand the number of times this team actually outplayed someone. He's right in his quote. Something does need to be done because the leadership and makeup of this team is about the worst it could possibly be. Very few players seem like they care. Tortorella can teach them, coach them, and motivate them until the cows come home, but its up to the players to execute and they aren't.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 04:58 PM
  #37
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Am I the only one satisfied with the performance of Redden this season? I think he's been pretty well rounded and dependable and is good to have on the team for the young kids (Gilroy, Del Zotto, Sanguinetti, etc.).

Waiving Rozsival, sure, Redden? Not so much. We are a worse team without him.
No, Redden seems to be a big problem as to why the forwards can't bury chances, go to the net, win loose puck battles - yup, the fans are now the coach cause for some reason Wade Redden is now the one that sits cause we can't score

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:23 PM
  #38
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...y9jIxBfC7JNMFM

If Sather refuses to waive either Redden or Rozsival, Torts should make them a healthy scratch until the Rangers waive one of them. Play Bobby Sanguinetti.

Redden always loses loose puck battles. Whether its in front of the net such as the Toews goal last week in Chicago or the numerous times he steps up the neutral zone/loses the puck at the point and the puck somehow ends up behind him with the opposing team going in on a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2.

Torts should strip Drury of the C. Tom Renney named Drury the captain. Brent Sutter stripped Patrik Elias of the C and gave it to Jamie Langenbrunner. Elias accepted it and moved on. Sutter wanted his own captain. Drury is a big boy. Suck it up,shut up and move on. Relieve Drury the "burden" of being the captain.

Some people made money with Madoff.


The question is: who do you showcase? If you want to pull off a miracle and trade/waive Rosie or Drury or Redden, the chances arent enhanced if they're benched or getting small minutes. On the other hand, the rookies/prospects might get devalued if they are playing only 7 or 12 mins a game and in non-crucial situations.


That's my beef with sather -- he needs to learn how to sell high. He waited too long to trade Montoya, Korpedo, Prucha etc and ended up getting squat in return.

In my opinion, Sanguinetti's stock could possibly plummet if he doesnt play for a struggling team. If Sather has no intention or is incapable of getting rid of rosie and redden, and is high on Gilroy, he needs to trade Sangs ASAP while his ceiling is still moderately high.


I know it's a tough pill to swallow for some, as I think sangs has a decent future. But I dont think he cracks this lineup as a regular, even as bad as they are.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.