HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phoenix at Columbus | 12/17 7PM EST | They don't care, we don't care edition

Old
12-17-2009, 09:10 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Beginning to think Hitch hockey only works when he's got a stud in goal. Witness Eddie Belfour, Manny Fernandez (both at Kalamazoo and Dallas) and last year's version of Steve Mason.
Oh no, another one must be falling under my Svengali-like spell.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Hitchcock (in his presser tonight) sounds more like Sara Palin than a NHL head coach... Is all he missed was seeing Filatov scoring goals in Russia...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Hitchcock (in his presser tonight) sounds more like Sara Palin than a NHL head coach... Is all he missed was seeing Filatov scoring goals in Russia...
Dunno how, since he can see Russia from his bench

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:12 PM
ScreamingWild
Kissin' The Cup

ScreamingWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:12 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
More of the same old cliches? You betcha, and also.

Old
12-17-2009, 09:18 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Oh no, another one must be falling under my Svengali-like spell.
HAHA Seriously though, you've got a defense-first system with play that builds from the net out. If your netminder isn't strong, the system is compromised. Sticking with "from the net out," if your defensemen are slow and turning the puck over, the system is compromised. Even if your forwards are forechecking and backchecking like crazy, the system isn't going to work.

So from here, it seems like we have two options since GMSH doesn't seem able to make a trade:
1.) Stubbornly stick with the system until the goalie and blueliners play like they did last season,
2.) Change the system to be offense-first, try to win games by "track meet"

I KNOW which one you prefer. I'm not so sure. I don't think we have the passing skills nor the finishing skills to win many games using option number 2.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
More of the same old cliches? You betcha, and also.
Actually, if you want the truth... he was all over the map. He even gave the beer drinking fans a shout out... He was a jolly old fella, almost reminded me of Santa. He was much different than I've seen before-a jolly ole fella.

Conclusion-he was in Howson's office for a beat down recently.

Old
12-17-2009, 09:30 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
He even gave the beer drinking fans a shout out...
Only the beer drinking fans? I wonder if he hopes they'll get so drunk they won't notice the Jackets playing poorly?

After all, that works for Rimer.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:31 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
HAHA Seriously though, you've got a defense-first system with play that builds from the net out. If your netminder isn't strong, the system is compromised. Sticking with "from the net out," if your defensemen are slow and turning the puck over, the system is compromised. Even if your forwards are forechecking and backchecking like crazy, the system isn't going to work.

So from here, it seems like we have two options since GMSH doesn't seem able to make a trade:
1.) Stubbornly stick with the system until the goalie and blueliners play like they did last season,
2.) Change the system to be offense-first, try to win games by "track meet"

I KNOW which one you prefer. I'm not so sure. I don't think we have the passing skills nor the finishing skills to win many games using option number 2.
And I'm not sure we have the defense to pull off #1. We were able to get by with this group last year because we had a young goalie who teams hadn't sufficiently scouted.

Old
12-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
This team is becoming Major League esque.

12-17-2009, 09:39 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
This team is becoming Major League esque.
I don't think these guys can be inspired by a life-size nude cutout of Scott Howson!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
And I'm not sure we have the defense to pull off #1. We were able to get by with this group last year because we had a young goalie who teams hadn't sufficiently scouted.
I've said before, Hitchcocks system is highly dependent on the goal tending.. That is obvious if your team collapses on the net in a defensive posture most of the time.

The goaltending under Hitchcock when in Philly could not support his system-therefore they lost to Buffalo in the playoffs who simply skated around his team and beat his goaltender and defense with ease.

The only chance we have is to play and burn out Garon if necessary... Garon is our only hope under this system-this year.

Old
12-17-2009, 09:43 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
The only chance we have is to play and burn out Garon if necessary... Garon is our only hope under this system-this year.
God help us then. I know everyone is in love with Garon, but I'm telling you, if we play the guy as if he's a #1, it is going to be a lot like Freddy No all over again.

Old
12-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
God help us then. I know everyone is in love with Garon, but I'm telling you, if we play the guy as if he's a #1, it is going to be a lot like Freddy No all over again.
I know, but at least he's a veteran.. Mason is struggling with the second year yips. Mason will be a great goalie when 25 or so but right now the kid cannot take this team on his back.

We must burn out Garon, not Mason, our future is at stake here.

Old
12-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Actually, if you want the truth... he was all over the map. He even gave the beer drinking fans a shout out... He was a jolly old fella, almost reminded me of Santa. He was much different than I've seen before-a jolly ole fella.

Conclusion-he was in Howson's office for a beat down recently.
That, or he read the Dispatch this morning.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
That, or he read the Dispatch this morning.
Could be, Hitch is smart guy-a guy who reads everything, possibly this board at times imo...

I wish I could meet him over a beer.., from what I have read he is a really nice guy but man is he stubborn or what. With a few changes in his outlook on the modern NHL game of hockey he could be another Bowman..

Old
12-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Could be, Hitch is smart guy-a guy who reads everything, possibly this board at times imo...

I wish I could meet him over a beer.., from what I have read he is a really nice guy but man is he stubborn or what. With a few changes in his outlook on the modern NHL game of hockey he could be another Bowman..
Yes, it is his way or the bench. It is too bad he wont bend much. Some of his line combos have got me scratching my head. I would love to talk to Hitch over a drink or two, I wonder if he would take our suggestions?

Old
12-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Shelley#45

does anyone else get bothered by the fact that after 10 years of drafting in the nhl, in shootouts 2 out of the first 4 shooters are usually Tyutin and Stralman ? I cant believe the order in shootouts we put out there sometime but i guess its a reality check in what skill we really do have on the team.

Shelley#45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Hipster Letestu

Can we start a petition to keep Roy in the line-up? I know he was on the ice for the goal against, so he ended up a -1 but that dude is good. Every time I watch a game he's in I end up seeing him make 3-4 good, smart plays. Methot can ride pine or go back to the Cuse for all I care.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:22 PM
kirsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
Can we start a petition to keep Roy in the line-up? I know he was on the ice for the goal against, so he ended up a -1 but that dude is good. Every time I watch a game he's in I end up seeing him make 3-4 good, smart plays. Methot can ride pine or go back to the Cuse for all I care.
could we scratch tyutin for a game too?

i prefer to see methot stay though

kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Yes, it is his way or the bench. It is too bad he wont bend much. Some of his line combos have got me scratching my head. I would love to talk to Hitch over a drink or two, I wonder if he would take our suggestions?
Well, it's possible you or I have played as much hockey as him so who knows.

Old
12-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Also on the wish list, can someone tell Juice it is ok to shoot the puck when he has it in the slot.

Old
12-17-2009, 11:16 PM
postalpez

Quote:
and i am 100% the other way on the guy. I keep seeing his mess ups.

thing we need to work on is one timers.(maybe a few more right handers also) we keep setting the puck, thus letting it be stoped.

postalpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Kfarschman

Quote:
Also on the wish list, can someone tell Juice it is ok to shoot the puck when he has it in the slot.
I thought he did tonight. He ended with 5 shots, tied with Nash. Voracek lead with 7 and looked great. Not only did Jake and Juice both deserve a goal but one of those goes in and we woudn't have had to go to the black hole of unrealized potential points which is the Jacket's shootout.

Kfarschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:01 AM
tkeats

Quote:
I like his first pass out of the zone, seems like he can hold his own - also, where has the hitting gone? When I saw chimmer go down in the corner and not exactly like the hit, I looked at the ice and didn't see a single person that I would see coming back and making a big hit or standing up for his teammate

tkeats is offline   Reply With Quote