HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Let It Snow" - 12.17-09 - Nashville at Edmonton 8:30 CST

Old
12-17-2009, 11:08 PM
braindead

vCash: 500
Wow. What can you say about this team at this point. Every line is playing, scorers are scoring or setting up (a bit more from JP might be nice).

The Oil are a hurting team right now but still credit to us for the comeback.

Jones deserves nothing but kudos for his play since returning-- I was a doubter and I was wrong. Hornqvist has been great as well.

I thought pulling Pekka was a good move- he looked slugish.

Spaling has been very solid-- you know it's good when he gets the Trotz compliment of all compliments- he has a lot of detail in his game.

Great job.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:08 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Nope. Tied with Chicago in points, but Chicago has games in hand. First tie breaker is fewer games played (i.e. best winning percentage)

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:10 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Yes, this is the Jonesy I'm used to. A brilliant and hardworking hustler. Glad to see him back.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:11 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
So this win gives us 1st in central?
Nope, Chicago have two games in hand.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I was all set tonight to post along all game in the thread, but simply closed the screen and went to Twitter after the slow start. Once the comeback started, I stayed there.

Great move by Trotz calling the timeout and switching goalies early on. Rinne clearly had zero help on either of those two goals, but Ellis brought his stick-handling ability to the game and helped alleviate some of the Edmonton forechecking pressure that was killing us early.

No egos tonight, that was a gritty, resilient, TEAM win! Still have a few areas of our game to clean up, but when you find a way to win coming back from that type of start...you take it!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:15 PM
braindead

Ellis just said that Pekka has the flu that is "floating around a bit". He thought he might play so that may explain why the big guy seemed out of it. As Slake says, good coaching move.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Chicago with three games in hand on us so no movement in the division, but this puts us back into fifth in the conference. Depending on the outcome of the San Jose/Anaheim game (SJ leads 2-0 last I checked) we could be tied for fourth. I'm ok with staying somewhere around here.

Old
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I thought pulling Pekka was a good move- he looked slugish.
Ellis just said post-game that Pekka is battling the start of the flu, so he was ready to go just in case tonight...

Quote:
Spaling has been very solid-- you know it's good when he gets the Trotz compliment of all compliments- he has a lot of detail in his game.
Nothing, but positive reviews for Spaling from me too all game long. Great hustle, great stickwork defensively, great awareness, great attention to detail in all areas of his game. He is a keeper!

Old
12-17-2009, 11:16 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

nm...

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Crazy game, I'm just happy for the win. Franson seemed to have a bad game.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:19 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Get well soon Pekka!

Great to see my man Ellis with the win.

Old
12-17-2009, 11:21 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Does he also have a lot of jump?

Wow, goals by Smithson, Jones, Goc, Hornqvist (2) and Ward. Our big guns...

Great job Preds!

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Seth Lake

Have to say my favorite quote of the whole night was Brent Peterson during the 2nd intermission interview saying how much he would love it if the Preds could simply kill a penalty every once in a while...

Of course the tongue in cheek moment there is that Peterson has pretty much total autonomy over coaching the the penalty killing units...

Old
12-17-2009, 11:24 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Nothing, but positive reviews for Spaling from me too all game long. Great hustle, great stickwork defensively, great awareness, great attention to detail in all areas of his game. He is a keeper!
I'm excited about Spaling. Sounds like he's fiitting right in.

What's his speed like? I know he's gritty and has all-around skills. Just curious on his skating, I assume it's pretty good. Haven't had a view since he joined.

Old
12-17-2009, 11:25 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Have to say my favorite quote of the whole night was Brent Peterson during the 2nd intermission interview saying how much he would love it if the Preds could simply kill a penalty every once in a while...

Of course the tongue in cheek moment there is that Peterson has pretty much total autonomy over coaching the the penalty killing units...
We have been on a sort of a bad run on the penalties. I thought our kill would be good again this year myself.

I feel bad that another side effect of Peterson's health issue is that he probably won't get the chance to be a head coach. I'm thrilled that he's on our side though. I'm sure he's a major reason why the staff gets more out of our team then the pundits ever expect.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 12-17-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old
12-17-2009, 11:30 PM
WartracePred

I'm an Arny apologist. I make excuses for his lackadaisical manner on the ice e.g. he's pacing himself because of his age and the length of the season, he has an uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time, fantastic ability to take away the puck when opponents are breaking out, etc...

I was scratching my head toward the end of the 3rd when he stood dead still in front of the net for what seemed like 5 seconds while his teammate (Sully I think) was working hard along the boards. He looked like a statue. I guess he was pacing himself while waiting to be in the right place at the right time. I understand battling in front of the crease, but it seemed really, really odd that no one challenged him. Was it a defensive breakdown, or was Arnott being lazy??

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I feel bad that another side effect of Peterson's health issue is that he probably won't get the chance to be a head coach. I'm thrilled that he's on our side though. I'm sure he's a major reason why the staff gets more out of our team then the pundits ever expect.
No doubt. We have two of the best head coaches in the NHL on our team and I really hope people recognize that and don't take it for granted. Brent Peterson deserved a head coaching position long ago, but that window has probably closed at this point and honestly, it sucks...

Nights like tonight fill me with so much pride as a fan of this organization when the team takes the path less traveled and beat the odds to achieve something great. It is really moments like this that need to be seen, heard, and experienced by everyone throughout the Middle Tennessee area to sew the seeds that will grow into 17,113 nightly...

Old
12-17-2009, 11:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Hamhuis and Klein with another pretty brutal night.

I don't understand why they were put back together after that ridiculous run in the early season where they were on the ice for like 8 straight GA. They simply don't work together. That pairing has been like...Houlder\Hulse bad.

Sorry to rain on the parade a bit, but I wish they'd pair Klein and Bouillon again...it really looked a lot better that way.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:29 AM
MemphisMTLfan

I saw us doing something a little different defensively that was working. Perhaps we've been doing it for a while, but I haven't been able to catch every game so I haven't really seen it as much. I can't put my finger on it but it looks like we're controlling the pucks a lot more in front of our net than we used to.

Old
12-18-2009, 12:31 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
well what can you say, that was awesome.

I dont even feel like complaining about how Hamhuis and Klein tried to give the game away in the first 5 minutes.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Just dropping in to say, you guys ****ing rock.

Your definitely my 2nd team in the West, and my team in the playoffs(no way my Oil get in).

I have nothing but respect for you guys. You guys have a top-5 head coach, a killer scouting department(like a god damn grinder factor down here), a good D(tis young), solid pair of goalies and a hard-working forward corps which produce results.

I hope you guys make it into the playoffs and win a round or two. Maybe get some stable money spending ownership so you can bring in some new players. Again nothing but respect from my end.

Good luck till we meet again Preds!

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:30 AM
OpenWheel

Very gracious post. We're proud of our players, coaches, and organization as well.

Good luck to your Oilers the rest of the way.

Old
12-18-2009, 01:43 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Well... you know... good luck to them for 46 games anyway.

Old
12-18-2009, 01:56 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

This has to be a joke. NHL.com has the three stars as 3) Dan Ellis with a .955 SV%, 2) Patric Hornqvist with 3 pts (2G 1A), and 1) Robert Nilsson with 2 goals?!?!

Not to take anything away from Nilsson. I think he earned a star, but first star? Really? Oh well... home ice advantage I guess.

Old
12-18-2009, 02:51 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
That was a good job of not folding after it was 2-0. I think everyone knew the Oilers would come out fast after they got ripped into from their coach and I just thought, great, this will be their comeback game. BUT, a good timeout and the Preds took the game away from Edmonton.

This is kind of what everyone was hoping for with Jones/Hornqvist last season. They are playing great right now!

Suter's goal with under 5 seconds to go in the 2nd ended it. I know it was only 5-3, but the Oilers had fought back and then to give up the PPG like that had to be a bit demoralizing.

I don't like that we are starting to take more penalties than we usually do, and aren't exactly killing them off very well.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote