HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phoenix at Columbus | 12/17 7PM EST | They don't care, we don't care edition

Old
12-18-2009, 02:25 AM
Hipster Letestu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj2RUSSELL View Post
I like his first pass out of the zone, seems like he can hold his own - also, where has the hitting gone? When I saw chimmer go down in the corner and not exactly like the hit, I looked at the ice and didn't see a single person that I would see coming back and making a big hit or standing up for his teammate
Speaking of, I thought the hit was fine and was wondering why he didn't seem to appreciate it. I'm also assuming this is what started the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty they slapped on him, but Rimer seemed to just gloss over it. Anyone with some insight into the two penalties we got for that? Huse got the other I believe and they didn't really explain that one either.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 05:29 AM
Happy Pony

When was the last time a Blue Jacket made a pass from behind the net to the slot? Examples in this video at 0:40 and 2:45.

The Jackets rarely even attempt to make this pass. Either the player in front of the net (if there is even one there) isn't open, the player with the puck doesn't make the pass or makes a bad pass on the rare occasion one is attempted. When a decent pass is made the shooter tends to fumble the puck and not get a shot off, shoot it wide and jams it right into the goalies pads/logo.

This is one of the reasons I'd like to see Jake with Nash. Nash is big enough and strong enough to go the front of the net and hold his own, he's also skilled enough to receive the pass and get a good quality shot off. Jake is big enough and strong enough to hold onto the puck below the goal line (as opposed to Huselius) and skilled enough to make a pass in front. Jake already tries to make these passes but he is forcing them because his linemates are not in the proper position to receive the pass.

Good teams employ this strategy all the time, hell even the bad teams do it against the Jackets and it gives Mason fits and rightfully so as it is one of the most difficult saves for any goalie to make.

Edit: I'm getting tired of seeing Tyutin in the shootout, specifically in the top three shooters. I'd much prefer to see Jake, Brass, Vermette RJU and even Modin amongst forwards. He'll 51 would be the third defenseman to shoot in my book, I'd much rather take my chances with Stralman and Russell before Tyutin. Yeah, he clinched a playoff birth scoring for us, but he's not exactly Mike Green out there.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 05:41 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
Speaking of, I thought the hit was fine and was wondering why he didn't seem to appreciate it. I'm also assuming this is what started the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty they slapped on him, but Rimer seemed to just gloss over it. Anyone with some insight into the two penalties we got for that? Huse got the other I believe and they didn't really explain that one either.
Chimmer's not used to getting hit in practice. I mean, its hard to check a guy on a stationary bike.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 05:43 AM
The Four Seven
Boone Jenner

Very good points, Mike. I wish we could ask Claude or Hitch why they don't.

Tyutin's been on my **** list for a while, but tonight he really solidified his spot on top of said list. I missed Nash's goal as it happened because I was busy doing an epic eyeroll for Fedor's suck-ass one-timer. If the CBJ need to get rid of anyone, it's Commodore and now Tyutin.

The Four Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Four Seven View Post
Very good points, Mike. I wish we could ask Claude or Hitch why they don't.

Tyutin's been on my **** list for a while, but tonight he really solidified his spot on top of said list. I missed Nash's goal as it happened because I was busy doing an epic eyeroll for Fedor's suck-ass one-timer. If the CBJ need to get rid of anyone, it's Commodore and now Tyutin.
I believe it's because the players don't have the skill. Our forwards (and defenseman FWIW) have such a tough time making a pass under pressure and also have trouble receiving a pass cleanly and getting a quick, accurate shot off. Plus, have you ever seen Juice hang onto the puck below the goal line or work to get open in the low slot?

The fact is that our team just doesn't have tight area skill. Watch the top teams in the league, they draw the defender and make a pass to the area the defender just vacated to a teammate who arrives for a quick shot on goal.

The easiest way to score goals in the NHL is to out number the defenders down low and get pucks to the front of the net. Our guys are either too small and weak to control the puck near the goal line (Huselius, Filatov, Brassard-this year) or not skilled enough to control the puck and make a good pass and finish in front of the net. This is why Hitch likes to play Raffi on the PP, he's one of the few guys who can go down low, get position in front and finish around the net.

When you are able to control the puck down low around the net it makes the defense collapse and then point shots become open throughout the game. The collapsing defense causes more screens and tips as well as more time to shoot for the point men, so they aren't always rushing shots into the defenders shins or wide of the net.

As it is nearly all our 5v5 goals come off the rush, crashing the net and jamming away or broken plays/defensive lapses. Not enough high skill in the tight areas.

There's reasons we dump the puck in and try control it down low, and it's so you can outwork and out number the defense down low and funnel pucks to the front of the net. If you try to create off the rush every time down the ice it's easy for the defense to read and leads to turnovers and missed shots which means odd man rushes coming back against us, leading to goals and us running around in our own zone as the forwards scramble back. AKA track meets.

Here's a nice example of how it works. The puck goes down low, Setoguchi gains control and beats his man. He makes a pass to Marleau who gets a shot off from a tight area (do you see anyone on the Jackets getting that shot off?). Thornton is active away from the puck and goes to the front of the net, gets a piece of the shot and deflects it in, he also would have been in position to jam home a rebound.

Edit: Before anyone gets the silly notion that Filatov helps in this regard, he doesn't. Like Huselius he's too light to go down low and control the puck. Sure he can get in front and take the shot, but when he was here he was waaaay too timid to get where he needed to be on time to finish the play effectively. He sure as hell can't go down low and make the pass, but that's not his game right now and is something he will hopefully develop as he matures and becomes stronger and will help to round out his game and make him a top scorer in the league.

Last edited by Happy Pony: 12-18-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old
12-18-2009, 06:29 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Also on the wish list, can someone tell Juice it is ok to shoot the puck when he has it in the slot.
I was thinking the same thing.
Huselius has become the David Vyborny of this team.

Observations:

1. Entertaining game.

2. Where was the HITTING? We are playing so soft these days.
End of the Second, the Coyotes got in our face, took a couple of cheapshots, and we had NO ANSWER. Don't want a 'tough guy', just some hard checking.

3. "Finishing" ...like everyone else said. We're looking very 2006-ish.

4. All that said, I thought we took a step foward.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 06:49 AM
Happy Pony

A good example of how we fail in regard to my earlier posts can be seen here.

Vermette outworks the defenseman behind the net and bring the puck to the front, but Huselius is still off in the corner (watch him pause in the corner instead of going right to the net, if he goes hard to the net there he's open for a pass and has a better chance of scoring, even though he should have finished on the opportunity he had. Nash is nowhere to be seen, but that's expected, the opposite winger tends to stay high under Hitch so as not to get caught out of position defensively. Although if Huselius was more aware defensively you would see him float up toward the circle while Nash moves towards the net from the far side (center net drive to channel my inner Davidge).

Here's an example of how we are getting there, but still too tentative in the offensive zone. Who the **** is RJU passing to there? No one is open! Luckily for him it gets tipped towards the net and not up to the point, would have led to an odd man rush. If we were able to consistently control the puck down low and make tight area plays the wingers wouldn't be so tight on the points and he could have sent it up top for a shot and deflection.

Old
12-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Inquiring Minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
A minute or two before the penalty, Juice was walking the puck in the Yotes zone, and came up to the blue line. The Zebras whistled him down for crossing the line and thus offsides. Christian was adament that he had kept it in. He was very upset and vocal about it. I think he was still pissed and jawing about it, and apparently the refs warned him off, but he wouldn't let it go. So they sent him to "time out."

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:03 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I've said before, Hitchcocks system is highly dependent on the goal tending.. That is obvious if your team collapses on the net in a defensive posture most of the time.

The goaltending under Hitchcock when in Philly could not support his system-therefore they lost to Buffalo in the playoffs who simply skated around his team and beat his goaltender and defense with ease.

The only chance we have is to play and burn out Garon if necessary... Garon is our only hope under this system-this year.
I agree with you about goaltending, but isn't every team dependant on goaltending? Take your old favorite team, they missed the playoffs last season , yet have a great record this season. Their roster changed little, but their goalie is allowing 1.88 GAA and maybe more indicative of how well he's playing a .937 SV%.

It's no great secret. Most successful teams have successful goaltending.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:05 AM
LaCosta Nostra

Trade Huselius.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:06 AM
LaCosta Nostra

...then bring back Filatov.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I agree with you about goaltending, but isn't every team dependant on goaltending? Take your old favorite team, they missed the playoffs last season , yet have a great record this season. Their roster changed little, but their goalie is allowing 1.88 GAA and maybe more indicative of how well he's playing a .937 SV%.

It's no great secret. Most successful teams have successful goaltending.
You said most because Osgood sucks didn't you?

Old
12-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCosta Nostra View Post
Trade Huselius.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCosta Nostra View Post
...then bring back Filatov.
Don't think either of these is happening, but with the surplus of forwards (even with DD out), I think Juice could be scratched for a game. It's hard to do because his skill-set isn't duplicated on this team, but he's not making the most of the opportunities his skill-set is giving him.

Old
12-18-2009, 09:13 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
It's hard to do because his skill-set isn't duplicated on this team
Yeah, Skill is a difficult thing to find in Columbus these days....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Yeah, Skill is a difficult thing to find in Columbus these days....

Yes but hard work........uhhh, nevermind.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:21 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Good to see the boys are laughing and joking and having a good ol' time over that awesome 1-point win/loss last night. Hitch is joking about the "beer guzzlers" in the stands, Nash was having a good time watching the fat shirtless bast*rd on the Jumbotron, lots of guys think we're starting to play the "right way" - lots of pats on the back after that one. Glad to see all is well in Jacketland again.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:30 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Good to see the boys are laughing and joking and having a good ol' time over that awesome 1-point win/loss last night. Hitch is joking about the "beer guzzlers" in the stands, Nash was having a good time watching the fat shirtless bast*rd on the Jumbotron, lots of guys think we're starting to play the "right way" - lots of pats on the back after that one. Glad to see all is well in Jacketland again.

Cause a point is a point right? gotta keep pace somehow....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

I was only able to watch the third period last night, but my God; could Tyutin's head be any further up his ass than it was last night? He is beyond just being a mess right now; he's a disaster. I realize that executing a one-timer is more difficult than hitting a golf ball, but had Tyutin had been playing golf instead, none of his shots would have even made it to the ladies tee. The miscommunication with his defensive partner behind his own net late in the game also lent towards my frustration with him (edit: not to mention his glorious shootout attempt). I'd like to see him get a healthy scratch in the near future, but I doubt it will happen given we don't have anyone better to throw out there in his place.

Last edited by Matt Foley: 12-18-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I was only able to watch the third period last night, but my God; could Tyutin's head be any further up his ass than it was last night? He is beyond just being a mess right now; he's a disaster. I realize that executing a one-timer is more difficult than hitting a golf ball, but had Tyutin had been playing golf instead, none of his shots would have even made it to the ladies tee. The miscommunication with his defensive partner behind his own net late in the game also lent towards my frustration with him (edit: not to mention his glorious shootout attempt). I'd like to see him get a healthy scratch in the near future, but I doubt it will happen given we don't have anyone better to throw out there in his place.
Let's not forget that he actually received credit for an assist on that goal. One of the least deserved assists I have ever seen.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 11:03 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post

I understand your sentiment. But, I'm glad they aren't down after that loss. If they think they've turned a corner, their heads are more likely to be in the right place rather then sinking deeper into the hole.

Was it a perfect game? Definitely not. Was it a great game? No. Was it significantly better than some of the stinkers we've seen the last couple of weeks? YES.

Baby steps.. baby steps. Maybe being away from the "friendly confines of Nationwide Arena" for about a week will also be a good thing. It should take off some pressure from the crowd and let them play a bit more relaxed.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:08 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

We went from 13th to 12th with our OTL last night. Moving up even without wins.

The problem is we're one regulation loss and an Anaheim and St. Louis win away from the basement. (11 points separating 6th from last).

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
We went from 13th to 12th with our OTL last night. Moving up even without wins.

The problem is we're one regulation loss and an Anaheim and St. Louis win away from the basement. (11 points separating 6th from last).
that's just because we were tied with edmonton for 12th, they have a game in hand, they lost in regulation...

I was 2nd row off the ice last night, I heard their determination, will, and that they were seriously competing, something I hadn't seen in nearly a month....they really wanted that one...so I'm hoping this is us turning the corner....but not going to hold my breath...just try to hope...

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:58 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
[URL="http://bluejackets.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?hlg=20092010,2,506&event=CBJ291&fr=fal se"]
Here's an example of how we are getting there, but still too tentative in the offensive zone. Who the **** is RJU passing to there? No one is open! Luckily for him it gets tipped towards the net and not up to the point, would have led to an odd man rush. If we were able to consistently control the puck down low and make tight area plays the wingers wouldn't be so tight on the points and he could have sent it up top for a shot and deflection.
This is actually one I don't like and has caused us to be caught frequently on the wrong side of an odd man rush. If you look at the video, all three forwards are behind the goal line. I want at least one forward above the goal line, either in the slot or cheated to one side or the other to receive a good centering feed. Your Sharks example showed one hard forechecker down low with the other two players swarming around in prime scoring areas. I'm good putting up to two frowards in low, one on either side of the net to allow for a behind the net pass with a quick feed to the slot - this forces the goalie to track the puck and quickly go side to side to protect against a weak side shot. With all three forwards below the goal line, the only way to get a close range shot is to have a D pinching in deep. Now, if the pass doesn't go where you wanted it or if the goalie makes a good kick save with the rebound to his teammate it's an automatic odd man rush the other way.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 01:11 AM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
This is actually one I don't like and has caused us to be caught frequently on the wrong side of an odd man rush. If you look at the video, all three forwards are behind the goal line. I want at least one forward above the goal line, either in the slot or cheated to one side or the other to receive a good centering feed. Your Sharks example showed one hard forechecker down low with the other two players swarming around in prime scoring areas. I'm good putting up to two frowards in low, one on either side of the net to allow for a behind the net pass with a quick feed to the slot - this forces the goalie to track the puck and quickly go side to side to protect against a weak side shot. With all three forwards below the goal line, the only way to get a close range shot is to have a D pinching in deep. Now, if the pass doesn't go where you wanted it or if the goalie makes a good kick save with the rebound to his teammate it's an automatic odd man rush the other way.
Watching it again, you're right, not sure how I missed that. It's good the boys were buzzing around the net but exactly, if RJ's "pass" is tipped the out towards the point the Coyotes are off to the races.

There's a time and a place to 'pinch,' for lack of a better term, and that wasn't it. However it is good to see the team taking chances to try and score, they just better not get caught out of position, which is what was happening to us an awful lot so far this season.