HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Post-Game #33: Penguins @ Flyers - December 17, 2009

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2009, 09:51 AM
  #26
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Hey guess what. The flyers ****ing suck. Until we get a superstar we'll never win.
If Richards isn't a superstar, how would you define superstar?

Essentially going by that, there's only a few in the league.

Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin
Kane
Brodeur

(off the top of my head)

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:52 AM
  #27
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
If Richards isn't a superstar, how would you define superstar?
Like Pronger?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:54 AM
  #28
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Like Pronger?
Personally I think there are a lot of superstars, Staal, Iginla, Thornton, Gaborik, Lecavalier. Assuming Richards plays (which up until last night he really wasn't), I see Richards on the same level as these players. But if Richards isn't a "superstar" by definition, then there are really not many superstars in the league IMO.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:59 AM
  #29
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Personally I think there are a lot of superstars, Staal, Iginla, Thornton, Gaborik, Lecavalier. Assuming Richards plays (which up until last night he really wasn't), I see Richards on the same level as these players. But if Richards isn't a "superstar" by definition, then there are really not many superstars in the league IMO.

I wouldn't put Gaborik in the super star category, just yet.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:04 AM
  #30
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I wouldn't put Gaborik in the super star category, just yet.
Depends, I always thought he was good, he wasn't with the right players, and played in a fairly defensive system. I never expected his numbers to show how good I think he really is.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:10 AM
  #31
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Hey guess what. The flyers ****ing suck. Until we get a superstar we'll never win.
I think you are overreacting..

For a team that has zero confidence and possible problems in the locker room, Flyers looked good yesterday: physical, created chances, did not give up a lot 5 on 5, limited number of turnovers, not too many penalties but sucked on PK, PP clicked. Bounces went Pittsburgh’s way on PP.

I think we are finally hitting the right stride. Once Gagne is back and Betts will have some more games under his belt we will be ok. We must continue to work hard. Keep in mind we had back up Boucher in the net. I still expect more out of our forwards and our disaster Coburn looked good with Pronger.

Nothing change in terms of our goals.. Work hard and limit penalties is the key.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:11 AM
  #32
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I wouldn't put Gaborik in the super star category, just yet.
Gaborik is a superstar when healthy. No question about it. Top 5 sniper in the league.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:13 AM
  #33
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Gaborik is a superstar when healthy. No question about it. Top 5 sniper in the league.
Proof:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...viewName=goals

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:18 AM
  #34
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Depends, I always thought he was good, he wasn't with the right players, and played in a fairly defensive system. I never expected his numbers to show how good I think he really is.
He is good, no denying that.

I agree, him in a defensive style of play killed him showing his range as a player.

I'd love to see what he could do here in Philly. NY is not as stocked as we are with skilled players.

My main concern with the Flyers is consistency. We showed last night we can play a full 60 minute effort. However, now we have another test and that is showing we can play that way for not just one game once in a month.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:26 AM
  #35
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 5,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
If Richards isn't a superstar, how would you define superstar?

Essentially going by that, there's only a few in the league.

Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin
Kane
Brodeur

(off the top of my head)
Kane? Like Patrick Kane? Hes the 4th best player on his team....IMO at least. After watching the two games we had against SJ I don't see how you can think Richards is anywhere near the level of Joe Thornton. Richards is more physical and has a defensive edge, but just about every shift Thornton dominates the puck possession and consistently creates chances for others. I love Richards but at even strength his playmaking is rather limited to ripping the puck toward the front of the net.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:28 AM
  #36
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I personally think it's pretty damn impressive that we held the Pens to no shots over the last 11 mins of the game or something (they said it on CSN). For a team in a tie game that has Crosby/Malkin, shutting them down like that is pretty solid.

There's still a ways to go, but we were doing a better job getting pucks to the net and crashing the net and once again, we were exceedingly unfortunate not to score more than the 2 we got.

The PK definitely needs to get its act together though, they've been horrible for a few weeks now.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:31 AM
  #37
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Kane? Like Patrick Kane? Hes the 4th best player on his team....IMO at least. After watching the two games we had against SJ I don't see how you can think Richards is anywhere near the level of Joe Thornton. Richards is more physical and has a defensive edge, but just about every shift Thornton dominates the puck possession and consistently creates chances for others. I love Richards but at even strength his playmaking is rather limited to ripping the puck toward the front of the net.
For the Thornton argument, see Post #28. Even if you look at last season, when Richards was playing much better, they were IMO at the same level, and their numbers were fairly similar.

As for Kane, he's a top player that stands out. Ask 10 Regular Joes that barely pay attention to hockey and ask them to name a player on the Blackhawks. I'm willing to bet 9 of 10 say Kane. Players like Iginla, Thornton, and Staal are better than Kane IMO, but they go relatively unnoticed.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:32 AM
  #38
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I personally think it's pretty damn impressive that we held the Pens to no shots over the last 11 mins of the game or something (they said it on CSN). For a team in a tie game that has Crosby/Malkin, shutting them down like that is pretty solid.

There's still a ways to go, but we were doing a better job getting pucks to the net and crashing the net and once again, we were exceedingly unfortunate not to score more than the 2 we got.

The PK definitely needs to get its act together though, they've been horrible for a few weeks now.
This.

I've been saying for the past few games, we were not crashing the net. That has been our key in seasons past for many goals. We need to continue to crash.

Knuble is missed in the crease.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:35 AM
  #39
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
If Richards isn't a superstar, how would you define superstar?

Essentially going by that, there's only a few in the league.

Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin
Kane
Brodeur

(off the top of my head)
I consider superstars just that, a super star. Only a select few people in a league can be a superstar, for every sport.

Offensive superstars - Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Thornton, Kane(maybe), Datsyuk/Zetterberg

Defensive superstars- Pronger, Lidstorm, Green (ya i said it), Chara, etc.

These are players that can win a game singlehandedly. No one on the Flyers can do that as of yet. The only player on the flyers with POTENTIAL to be that type of player is Giroux and JVR.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:38 AM
  #40
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
If we're gonna put Kane in there, can't we say Towes?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:46 AM
  #41
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
This.

I've been saying for the past few games, we were not crashing the net. That has been our key in seasons past for many goals. We need to continue to crash.

Knuble is missed in the crease.
Yeah, I never anticipated we'd miss Knuble this much.

I'd also like to point out that I'm proud of these guys for the point as well considering the absolute ass-banging we got from the refs.

I don't know what was more egregious, the Carter "delay of game", the Hartnell "hook" (McKee's taking lessons from Crosby), the Malkin punch, the Carcillo "slash" (right before he got speared), or Giroux getting tripped when the ref was already yelling at Orpik and then he tripped him. Also can't forget the slash that knocked the stick out of Carter's hands which was certainly an "automatic call" last year in OT when we were already shorthanded.

I mean, I do not see how the Pens are 19th in times shorthanded, every time we play them, there are 5-6 of these calls which the refs simply ignore. It's absolutely aggravating, it's a total joke what hockey has become. It's all about reputation, not about what actually happens on the ice.

I'd also like to add that all the Pens fans justifying Crosby's pathetic antics after he got tapped in the damn visor are exactly what's wrong with hockey.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 10:54 AM
  #42
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
For the Thornton argument, see Post #28. Even if you look at last season, when Richards was playing much better, they were IMO at the same level, and their numbers were fairly similar.

As for Kane, he's a top player that stands out. Ask 10 Regular Joes that barely pay attention to hockey and ask them to name a player on the Blackhawks. I'm willing to bet 9 of 10 say Kane. Players like Iginla, Thornton, and Staal are better than Kane IMO, but they go relatively unnoticed.
When I think Blackhawks, I think Jonathon Toews everytime.

Kane is the 2nd best RW on the team, lol. Marian Hossa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
If we're gonna put Kane in there, can't we say Towes?
My thoughts exactly.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:37 PM
  #43
Miss Mess
Registered User
 
Miss Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 4,531
vCash: 500
I doubt we will ever win a SO against Pittsburgh. Ever.

I'm happy to read that Gagne is back tomorrow!!!!!

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:47 PM
  #44
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
When I think Blackhawks, I think Jonathon Toews everytime.

Kane is the 2nd best RW on the team, lol. Marian Hossa...
Which you just validated my point. You're not an Average Joe, you're an obsessed hockey fan, and should know about the teams. To the regular general sports fan, I'm still willing to bet they have no idea who Hossa or Toews are. But they probably know Patrick Kane, whether it be from highlights or from beating up a cab driver.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:50 PM
  #45
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Gaborik is a superstar when healthy. No question about it. Top 5 sniper in the league.
Agreed, not even debatable if he can stay healthy.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:55 PM
  #46
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah, I never anticipated we'd miss Knuble this much.

I'd also like to point out that I'm proud of these guys for the point as well considering the absolute ass-banging we got from the refs.

I don't know what was more egregious, the Carter "delay of game", the Hartnell "hook" (McKee's taking lessons from Crosby), the Malkin punch, the Carcillo "slash" (right before he got speared), or Giroux getting tripped when the ref was already yelling at Orpik and then he tripped him. Also can't forget the slash that knocked the stick out of Carter's hands which was certainly an "automatic call" last year in OT when we were already shorthanded.

I mean, I do not see how the Pens are 19th in times shorthanded, every time we play them, there are 5-6 of these calls which the refs simply ignore. It's absolutely aggravating, it's a total joke what hockey has become. It's all about reputation, not about what actually happens on the ice.

I'd also like to add that all the Pens fans justifying Crosby's pathetic antics after he got tapped in the damn visor are exactly what's wrong with hockey.
Here's what's most annoying about these ******** calls. I love hockey--I've played it, watched it, obsessed over it my entire life. It's fair to say that these refs are probably in the same boat. They enjoy the work, they enjoy skating and hockey in general, so they've decided to make it their living.

How can they still get fooled by the same **** game in and game out, then? I mean, McKee's dive was as egregious as it comes. I was at the game, and from what I could tell, McKee kind of dove to get in the way of Briere, who was coming out of the corner. How do these refs fall for this ********? If everyone watching the game can see that so-and-so faked this or somebody else completely embellished, why do refs keep calling it? On top of that, there's the inconsistency. Already 30+ games into the season we've seen the Flyers penalized multiple times for the chintzy knock the stick out of the hand call. That's supposedly an automatic. Why not last night? How else does a guy lose his stick. It shouldn't be a penalty period, but if you call it sometimes, you have to call it at all times.

The bottom line is that the ref should never be the deciding factor in a game. If someone does something obvious or clearly prevents a player from a scoring chance (illegally), call it. But don't take the spotlight. That's for the players.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:59 PM
  #47
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,892
vCash: 500
Superstar means skills, awards, and media attention. By that there are only three.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:10 PM
  #48
BWAVgal
Clever comment here
 
BWAVgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norristown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,346
vCash: 176
We'll never get a superstar like Crosby, Malkin or Kane. Our team will never be so bad for years on end that you guy all these top players that teams like PIT, CHI and WAS have now. One year is too many to our management and that works for me.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:15 PM
  #49
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
The closest one we have on our team is JVR. Give him some more time, he'll (hopefully) explode.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 01:21 PM
  #50
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
We'll never get a superstar like Crosby, Malkin or Kane. Our team will never be so bad for years on end that you guy all these top players that teams like PIT, CHI and WAS have now. One year is too many to our management and that works for me.
Kane is not that good. I loved him and wish we had got him, but he is not THAT good.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.