HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Why is Rexall so GD quiet?

Old
12-16-2009, 08:30 PM
smithboy89

vCash: 500
Rexall is the loudest building in the league when the team gives them something to cheer about. Anyone who was there during the 06 run knows that.

Since then the team has not given fans much to be loud about.

smithboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:47 PM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If they keep playing like that for another 2-3 months, it may change.

It's not something where you just flip a switch.

I think people don't want to get their hopes too high with this team either knowing realistically that Hemsky is out for the year.

How many times the last three years has this team flirted with looking like a playoff contender? It's actually kinda stressful to follow a team that's always on the bubble, always trying to scrape into the 8th seed ... I think that too eventually takes its toll. Some of the fanbase I think has just become "numb" over time.

They wanna win some louder fans here? Starting to win some games against Calgary and Vancouver would be a good place to start.

Man this stuff is just...

Look: It's a hockey game. Why are we talking about it like it's marriage councelling? That's ridiculous. What a completely ridiculous way to look at the fan experience at a hockey game.

When there's a great shift on the ice like that Horc-Nilsson-Stone shift last night, what goes through people's minds?

"Woah that's a great shift! But I better not clap or cheer, I mean they haven't made the playoffs in three years, so I'm just going to sit here. No claps from me until you win X number of games. So there!"

Is that REALLY what you think is going through people's heads at the game? Doesn't that strike you as a little... I don't know... Completely ridiculous?

When you see good hockey, you applaud it. That's what going to a hockey game is about. All this other garbage about playoffs and broken hearts and hurt feelings is just such nonsense.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
Man this stuff is just...

Look: It's a hockey game. Why are we talking about it like it's marriage councelling? That's ridiculous. What a completely ridiculous way to look at the fan experience at a hockey game.

When there's a great shift on the ice like that Horc-Nilsson-Stone shift last night, what goes through people's minds?

"Woah that's a great shift! But I better not clap or cheer, I mean they haven't made the playoffs in three years, so I'm just going to sit here. No claps from me until you win X number of games. So there!"

Is that REALLY what you think is going through people's heads at the game? Doesn't that strike you as a little... I don't know... Completely ridiculous?

When you see good hockey, you applaud it. That's what going to a hockey game is about. All this other garbage about playoffs and broken hearts and hurt feelings is just such nonsense.

Well tell ya what ... you name for me the amount of teams that have missed the playoffs for 2-3+ consecutive years that have a loud and noisy barn outside of Toronto and Montreal?

Even in Calgary and Vancouver, I can tell you, not only would you have quiet rinks, but you'd probably start to see empty seats by the 2nd or 3rd consecutive playoff-less year.

After being jerked around for 3+ years, this city is not ready to go bananas over one 5 game win streak, sorry.

And the truth is Edmonton has historically always been a quiet rink to play in during the regular season, even at the height of the franchise's dominance with Gretzky/Messier/etc. It's not anything new.

Lets not get carried away either ... they played OK last night ... it's not like they put on a show or anything. You shouldn't expect a medal for showing up and playing with some modicum of effort on your own home ice. Vancouver and Calgary generally play with that level of effort and intensity at home almost all the time at home.

Last edited by Soundwave: 12-16-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:00 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Motto for Oilers fans: It's not the journey, it's the destination.

too bad though, you're sure to miss a lot along the way if all you can see is the great big silver reward in the sky.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:12 PM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Well tell ya what ... you name for me the amount of teams that have missed the playoffs for 2-3+ consecutive years that have a loud and noisy barn outside of Toronto and Montreal?

Even in Calgary and Vancouver, I can tell you, not only would you have quiet rinks, but you'd probably start to see empty seats by the 2nd or 3rd consecutive playoff-less year.
Disagree. When Vancouver missed the playoffs, the rink was still pretty loud.

Quote:
After being jerked around for 3+ years, this city is not ready to go bananas over one 5 game win streak, sorry.

And the truth is Edmonton has historically always been a quiet rink to play in during the regular season, even at the height of the franchise's dominance. Get over it already.
What's with the attitude, we're just talkin' here.

The fact is this: When you go to a hockey game, NHL, WHL, whatever... And you're watching the game, and you see something good happening on the ice, you applaud it. All this pyschological scarring from missing the playoffs stuff just doesn't jibe with the actual visceral experience of what going to a hockey game is.

People have posited numerous reasons why the crowd isn't in to the game, from the high prices, to the poor presentation. Those reasons are immeasurably, immeasurably more plausible than some notion that it has to do with feeling emotionally abused.

And frankly, that theory is really just forwarded because Replacement wants to turn every thread in to a "this roster sucks" thread.

Old
12-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Soundwave

While Toronto and Montreal may also be louder in supporting teams that haven't much more success than Edmonton ... the ugly side of that can also be well ... uglier ... case in point:

And yes, if you keep watching the video you will hear Habs fans starting the "Car-ey" chant, taunting their own goalie.

Calgary and Edmonton are much more based on the play on the ice. The "sea of red" is great, what people don't realize is in the years before 2004, it was more like the sea of green (empty seats).

If the Oilers keep playing hard, the cheers will come.

Last edited by Soundwave: 12-16-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:23 PM
theranfordflop

Quote:
While Toronto and Montreal may also be louder in supporting teams that haven't much more success than Edmonton ... the ugly side of that can also be well ... uglier ... case in point:

And yes, if you keep watching the video you will hear Habs fans starting the "Car-ey" chant, taunting their own goalie.

Calgary and Edmonton are much more based on the play on the ice. The "sea of red" is great, what people don't realize is in the years before 2004, it was more like the sea of green (empty seats).
Well... And?

The question isn't "why aren't the fans unconditionally supporting their team?"

The question is "why is it so quiet?"

And y'know, even in buildings that are half full the crowds are more in to the game than a packed Rexall. I'm not sure how bringing that up answers the question.

Old
12-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Angry Boys

Maybe everyone's voiceboxes were frozen solid.

Angry Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Some of us, probably a lot of us, are not loud, yelling types and for me a few or more claps is a good response to lots of good plays. However, that clapping is not that loud. Nor would I agree that the crown of true fandom rests on the loud, boisterous fan, since many of them are just as likely to boo and criticize, except louder.

I like going to Oiler games. I like it more when they win. I even kind of enjoy that nervous feeling, sweaty palm, bouncy leg feeling that you get around the 5 minute mark of a tie-game last night. However, I do wish that feeling was more often rewarded with positive energy, then that sapping feeling that came 4 or 5 times this year when the Oilers give up points in the last five minutes.

Section337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Bank Shot

The fans get pretty loud when coached. The Oilers pay a guy to walk around with a drum and start Oilers chants, but he only ever seems to appear halfway through the third period.

If the Oilers had that guy and others like him going from the games', added more fan response items on the jumbotron, and added a mascot they could probably change the culture around pretty quickly.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:48 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Disagree. When Vancouver missed the playoffs, the rink was still pretty loud.

What's with the attitude, we're just talkin' here.

The fact is this: When you go to a hockey game, NHL, WHL, whatever... And you're watching the game, and you see something good happening on the ice, you applaud it. All this pyschological scarring from missing the playoffs stuff just doesn't jibe with the actual visceral experience of what going to a hockey game is.

People have posited numerous reasons why the crowd isn't in to the game, from the high prices, to the poor presentation. Those reasons are immeasurably, immeasurably more plausible than some notion that it has to do with feeling emotionally abused.

And frankly, that theory is really just forwarded because Replacement wants to turn every thread in to a "this roster sucks" thread.
Funny your attitude towards others on this subject has been derogatory at best so get off the high horse. You still ignore basic logic and blame the fans and not the team. Go ahead cheer, be loud and proud, just realize others want to see a good product on the ice before joining in.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:50 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Well... And?

The question isn't "why aren't the fans unconditionally supporting their team?"

The question is "why is it so quiet?"

And y'know, even in buildings that are half full the crowds are more in to the game than a packed Rexall. I'm not sure how bringing that up answers the question.
Show some proof and some facts before spouting off the fans in Edmonton are the worst when it comes to cheering.

Old
12-16-2009, 11:50 PM
hockeyaddict101

The fans did pick it up last night when the Oilers tied it.

I don't believe you have to artificially cheer. The difference last night was that it was deader than usual before the game and the fans got surly fairly quickly.

I am gonna blame the weather.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:52 PM
smithboy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
Show some proof and some facts before spouting off the fans in Edmonton are the worst when it comes to cheering.
True.

The fans are the best in the league.

The team isn't.

smithboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:54 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
The fans did pick it up last night when the Oilers tied it.

I don't believe you have to artificially cheer. The difference last night was that it was deader than usual before the game and the fans got surly fairly quickly.

I am gonna blame the weather.
I would be surly if I had to go through what you guys are dealing with? When the boys are up in your throat makes it hard to cheer.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:01 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
I would be surly if I had to go through what you guys are dealing with? When the boys are up in your throat makes it hard to cheer.
I had a smiley but I do believe the weather was part of the problem. People were cold when they walked in, it was bitterly cold all week.

Fans were a little grumpy.

They wanted the Oilers to warm them up and they promptly fell behind. The fans got louder when it was tied but the PP kind of took them out of it.

The atmosphere was crazy when the Oilers came back from the huge deficit earlier in the season.

To me the loudness in Calgary, etc is being overplayed by a few in this thread. It can get quiet as a church mouse in Calgary when things don't go well and it isn't always loud when they are winning either.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:08 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I had a smiley but I do believe the weather was part of the problem. People were cold when they walked in, it was bitterly cold all week.

Fans were a little grumpy.

They wanted the Oilers to warm them up and they promptly fell behind. The fans got louder when it was tied but the PP kind of took them out of it.

The atmosphere was crazy when the Oilers came back from the huge deficit earlier in the season.

To me the loudness in Calgary, etc is being overplayed by a few in this thread. It can get quiet as a church mouse in Calgary when things don't go well and it isn't always loud when they are winning either.
Definitely is being overlooked by some for sure. There were a lot of empty seats in the Saddledome when the club was going through the lean years. Darryl Sutter came in and changed the mindset of the team immediately and lo and behold the fans started to come back and now the team is a perennial Stanley Cup contender(hahahha of course they have not won it yet this decade). Canucks fans turn on their team very quickly when they start losing, they are like lemmings when the team struggles. For the most part, the Oilers fans have always been there through the thick and thin. For a brief time in the nineties, the fans weren't there, how could you blame them with the team threatening to leave and the organization was rudderless.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:16 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Definitely is being overlooked by some for sure. There were a lot of empty seats in the Saddledome when the club was going through the lean years. Darryl Sutter came in and changed the mindset of the team immediately and lo and behold the fans started to come back and now the team is a perennial Stanley Cup contender(hahahha of course they have not won it yet this decade). Canucks fans turn on their team very quickly when they start losing, they are like lemmings when the team struggles. For the most part, the Oilers fans have always been there through the thick and thin. For a brief time in the nineties, the fans weren't there, how could you blame them with the team threatening to leave and the organization was rudderless.
Pocklington era, bad economy, crippling 65 cent dollar. Both the Oilers and Flames almost lost their teams (oh it isn't talked about much in Calgary but Bettman had an emergency meeting with Flames ownership, who were going to fold or sell but they decided not too)

Besides that blip the fans here have supported this team through think and thin and will continue to do so.

It is ludicrous to even suggest that we have the worst fans in Canada. Fans here are diehard and love their team.

Old
12-17-2009, 01:22 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Crowds were quiet in the 80's. There is no panacea. It is what it is.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Crowds were quiet in the 80's. There is no panacea. It is what it is.

I've been a ticket holder since the inception of the team. When they first played in 1979, the crowds were loud, even though the team wasn't good. It was a new product, everyone was excited. The noise continued through the early 80's, building to a crescendo when they won their first cups. After that, the winning was expected. The team actually got TOO good and many took them for granted. It was the opposite of now. The regular seasons had their moments, but it was usually when Calgary, Montreal, Philly or Boston came to town. The Oilers crushed everyone else, and it became expected. The played Vancouver or Winnipeg in the first round of the playoffs, and routinely crushed them in straight sets. It got so "bad" that there were not even people in the seats for some of those early rounds. Once they got to the conference finals or the cup finals, where they played a "worthy" opponent, the atmosphere was great. It took a solid dose of the "90's" to bring us all back to reality, and make us realize what we had. Long, lean, losing years, followed by a couple first round playoff appearances where the team was such underdogs that the town went crazy when they won.
2006 showed what can happen to our fans when the team gives them something. The last 3 years have been horrible, with little hope due to dumb signings and trades, and players that simply didn't (don't) want to be here. As another poster said, it will take a lot more than a modest 5 game road streak to get the customers excited and hopeful again. Don't forget, even after that streak, we're still well out of a playoff spot, let alone challenging for anything significant.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:46 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I've been a ticket holder since the inception of the team. When they first played in 1979, the crowds were loud, even though the team wasn't good. It was a new product, everyone was excited. The noise continued through the early 80's, building to a crescendo when they won their first cups. After that, the winning was expected. The team actually got TOO good and many took them for granted. It was the opposite of now. The regular seasons had their moments, but it was usually when Calgary, Montreal, Philly or Boston came to town. The Oilers crushed everyone else, and it became expected. The played Vancouver or Winnipeg in the first round of the playoffs, and routinely crushed them in straight sets. It got so "bad" that there were not even people in the seats for some of those early rounds. Once they got to the conference finals or the cup finals, where they played a "worthy" opponent, the atmosphere was great. It took a solid dose of the "90's" to bring us all back to reality, and make us realize what we had. Long, lean, losing years, followed by a couple first round playoff appearances where the team was such underdogs that the town went crazy when they won.
2006 showed what can happen to our fans when the team gives them something. The last 3 years have been horrible, with little hope due to dumb signings and trades, and players that simply didn't (don't) want to be here. As another poster said, it will take a lot more than a modest 5 game road streak to get the customers excited and hopeful again. Don't forget, even after that streak, we're still well out of a playoff spot, let alone challenging for anything significant.
Exactly Stoneman and I won't get excited till there is some consistency from this team.
All in all, we have the right to cheer this team however we see fit to suggest otherwise give your head a shake. How people spend their money and the emotions they show at games is really none of our concern.

Old
12-17-2009, 12:31 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Exactly Stoneman and I won't get excited till there is some consistency from this team.
All in all, we have the right to cheer this team however we see fit to suggest otherwise give your head a shake. How people spend their money and the emotions they show at games is really none of our concern.
I agree. Like Stoneman outlined in his post even if the team starts to win, that will get old and people will become complacent again. I dont know about anyone else, but I enjoy watching the game live without constant screaming in my ear. That gets old fast.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:11 PM
NMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
I don't go to many games... but I was there tonight.

My god it was quiet.

There were maybe 3 chants... all 3 started in the nose bleeds. Despite my best efforts, continuing these chants in the lower bowl was damn near impossible. Nobody joined in. One woman actually gave me a dirty look for joining in to a "Lets Go Oilers Lets Go!" chant.

The game was at worst pretty damn decent, following a 5 game winning streak... you would not have known.

And what's with showing all the idiots on the screen instead of, you know, actually showing replays of what just happened on the ice?

That's not even getting into the pathetic pre-game entry...

Was the music on 50% volume tonight?
That's why... A bunch of snobs in the seats. People get yelled at for cheering for their team in Edmonton.
Watching a Flames game and then an Oilers game on TV, its embarrassing that Rexal is so much quieter than the Dome.

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 09:27 AM
OntOilFan

Exhibit A: Last night.

The Oilers suck.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Home is where the harm is.

Thats the headline today in the print journal. Well done. Says a lot.

Unfortunately the same article in online version has a generic heading.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...435/story.html

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote