HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts: "Attitude stinks around here"

Old
12-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

vCash: 500
Torts: "Attitude stinks around here"

Quote:
Today, the coach blasted the “entitlement” that surrounded the team.

“There’s gonna be no entitlement around here,” Tortorella said. “And I think that’s what kind of stinks… around here.”

He put just about everyone on notice, especially “underachieving veterans.”

“To me it just doesn’t matter how long you’ve played, how much money you make, what draft pick you were,” Tortorella said after a short practice. “We need to shift a little bit and we’re going to.”

"...To me this isn’t a kicking, this is just an assessment of play… but we’re gonna make decisions on our lineup based on how person is playing, not on who he is, who he thinks he is, how much he makes and all that garbage.”
Original link: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/ranger...tgG7HyMD7ZtyjL

I didn't see this posted previously so I apologize if this was already discussed.

For all of you who have been blasting Torts about his double standard on accountability, perhaps you spoke too soon? Seems like he's had it with some of the slackers on the team, and it doesn't quite sound like the same old Torts rhetoric.

The article also mentions how he and Sather had been "talking" about the issue. Worthwhile read if you are angry about the lack of accountability with the older guys or just like hearing Torts mad.

Thoughts?

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Vidic15

Hopefully, this is where Tortorella seperates himself from what Renney couldn't do. I'm surprised at this recent development. It looks like the entitlement culture didn't leave with Gomez. I pegged him as the main culprit.

Vidic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 11:49 PM
McMonster

talk is cheap... show us your not a phony... (which he has done the past few days by benching Redden)

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Slick Rick 61

Hopefully he's including himself in this pile of ****.

He lost me after Wednesday night's postgame. That was really infuriating when LB put him on the spot, and he had no answer for what he could do better as a coach.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:05 AM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
The article also mentions how he and Sather had been "talking" about the issue.
My take on that specifically is that he has communicated to Sather he is going to sit or continue to sit high salary guys.IE Drury, Redden,Rozival if they don't tighten it up.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Carl Hagelins Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan1416 View Post

He lost me after Wednesday night's postgame. That was really infuriating when LB put him on the spot, and he had no answer for what he could do better as a coach.
I was angry that he dodged the question, but I was happy to see he scratched Redden and Kotalik. And the Rangers played passionately (for the most part) on Thursday.

Too early to give Torts a free pass just yet on his meltdown, but if we keep playing like we did Thursday and win some games, I'll forget about him not answering LB.

Old
12-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Carl Hagelins Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
My take on that specifically is that he has communicated to Sather he is going to sit or continue to sit high salary guys.IE Drury, Redden,Rozival if they don't tighten it up.
Mine as well. Didn't want to assume that though in the OP but that is my opinion.

Old
12-19-2009, 12:15 AM
In The Flesh

When we had guys like Ortmeyer, Strudwick, Betts, Hollweg, Ward, Moore, Prucha, etc. our attitude was great. Complete "team" mentality. Not the case with the bums we've been icing these past few yrs. I don't care if they don't have as much talent, they played their guts out and bleed Blue. Thats what matters most, you can build a winner from that. Purge the team.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Crease

I like it. My only issue is, What the hell took so long, Torts?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Nick00

Sounds good to me.
Yeah, talk is cheap but he's already followed through with Redden and Kotalik.
Hopefully this kind of accountability continues and it's not just a one time thing.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:24 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
Hopefully, this is where Tortorella seperates himself from what Renney couldn't do.
A bit too much emphasis on Tortorella, I think. Look at so many of these players, underperforming game after game. They always could do better, yet so many of them were just too happy with getting dressed, losing, and just heading home after the game.

It would really be nice to see enough ***** hit the fan to actually make a difference. This status quo thing, with people talking about line combinations ad nauseum, was not going to cut it. It does not matter what the lines are composed of, when there is no will to win, no true drive.

Blast away, John. Blast away.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:27 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Isn't this what a majority of people wanted to hear? I believe him. He looks annoyed, and who could blame him. There is a player (or group of players) trying to undermine two coaches in a row. I thought it was Gomez too, but apparently not.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:37 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

big talk.....

12-19-2009, 12:41 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:

Aside from the fact that he seemed to interpret/misinterpret the question as asking what he planned to do from a player management point of view. What kind of answer would u have wanted to hear? You do realize that as a coach, he can't actually lace up and play. No matter what he tries, it's still up to the players to execute.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:50 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I like it. My only issue is, What the hell took so long, Torts?
Believe it or not, a coach shouldn't fly off the handle with every win and loss like some fans do. It takes time to assess players, and it's in everyones best interests to give the players on the team (especially the expensive, difficult to move veterans) an opportunity to succeed. BUT, there also comes a point where you have to get real. After 30 something games...we're getting to that point.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 12:53 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
BUT, there also comes a point where you have to get real. After 30 something games...we're getting to that point.
Yep.

That's about it.
There really is nothing to lose, and everything to gain, in just trying to level things out.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 01:00 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

I read the whole transcript of that news conference and I feel very differently from you (Gross posted it). I think Tortorella didn't say what he wanted to because he was so angry at the effort on the ice. When you have the kind of temper he does, either you learn to control it or you end up saying things you regret the next day (and end up getting fired for it).

I also wonder if Tortorella had to wait and have a heart to heart with his boss before he could act on the things he wanted to do. Redden's play has been a problem from day one, not just in the last week and no one in the organization appeared to be willing to accept that fact. Tortorella gave Redden plenty of time to work out his problems on the ice, but yet all Redden has been able do is--at best--be invisible. That's not the role he was signed to play and perhaps the Man Behind the Curtain also had to look in the mirror and admit the problem too before the coaching staff was allowed to act.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 01:03 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

My only issue is: If you're gonna sit Redden, or Rozsival, or Drury.. or whomever you decide to sit, don't be such a ***** to play the kids in their spot.

Absolutely atrocious that Anisimov plays like 1 shift in the first period, Heineken like 8 minutes a game... why are they playing if you're just gonna ride the top players? That is really starting to get to me.

Say what you want about how Gaborik conserves energy.. Prospal playing 25 minutes a night ain't gonna help this team in the long run. Learn to run four lines. Or at least manage the time somewhat correctly. You're killing the players.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 01:04 AM
Slick Rick 61

The actual PC is on Youtube. If you haven't watched it, you may get a different perspective. Maybe, maybe not.

Redden's worst hockey has come since he's returned from injury. Someone else mentioned it in another thread, but how can you blame Redden for feeling "singled out"?

Rozsival was playing like garbage until the last handful of games.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Believe it or not, a coach shouldn't fly off the handle with every win and loss like some fans do. It takes time to assess players, and it's in everyones best interests to give the players on the team (especially the expensive, difficult to move veterans) an opportunity to succeed. BUT, there also comes a point where you have to get real. After 30 something games...we're getting to that point.
Very fair point.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 01:26 AM
Musto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I read the whole transcript of that news conference and I feel very differently from you (Gross posted it). I think Tortorella didn't say what he wanted to because he was so angry at the effort on the ice. When you have the kind of temper he does, either you learn to control it or you end up saying things you regret the next day (and end up getting fired for it).

I also wonder if Tortorella had to wait and have a heart to heart with his boss before he could act on the things he wanted to do. Redden's play has been a problem from day one, not just in the last week and no one in the organization appeared to be willing to accept that fact. Tortorella gave Redden plenty of time to work out his problems on the ice, but yet all Redden has been able do is--at best--be invisible. That's not the role he was signed to play and perhaps the Man Behind the Curtain also had to look in the mirror and admit the problem too before the coaching staff was allowed to act.
this.

i interpreted his dodging of brooks' question as an unspoken, "im not talking about it now, you'll see what im going to do."

it was apparent he had it in his mind to blow some **** up that night and just needed to get cracking on it. its obvious hes not done and will do what he can to make the team better.

torts may not have a great hockey mind per se and is not graceful whatsoever with the press but i give him credit for how he has handled the team this season so far. he doesnt have a lot to work with and instead of turtling he gets mad. benching rozy earlier, the recent benching of kotalik and redden -- good moves. he gets a lot of **** around here because we dont read between the lines.

we have to understand that the man, aside from having a bad public image, has a bunch of turds and gaborik to work with. dont get me wrong, i love these turds but they have been playing like turds and apparently have been acting like primadonnas.

he can only do so much as he is not the only decision maker. when the whole front office is on the same page is when things start to happen.

really, the only gripe i have with his method is his attempt to push stall's offensive game too hard.

Musto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
When we had guys like Ortmeyer, Strudwick, Betts, Hollweg, Ward, Moore, Prucha, etc. our attitude was great. Complete "team" mentality. Not the case with the bums we've been icing these past few yrs. I don't care if they don't have as much talent, they played their guts out and bleed Blue. Thats what matters most, you can build a winner from that. Purge the team.
Are we talking about the same team that lived and died with Jagr's offense, collapsed down the stretch in 2006 and underachieved in the 2007 playoffs?

I mean I understand that things look better in the rearview mirror, but this team has been pretty flawed for a while.

I don't know if I see this team trying any less than those teams, but i do the same "Stone hands" result.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 02:21 AM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

I like Torts. I'm learning alot from him. From his accomplishments and failures. He's becoming my favorite coach.

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 02:59 AM
haveandare

I'm glad that someone made a thread of this, I read this article this morning and was really pleased with Torts. Just the words "underachieving veterans" being used by him makes me happy. This is a step in the right direction. I kind of wish he would have offered up Callahan as an example of what he is looking for, but good point none the less.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 03:19 AM
thewaitingisover

i'm just not sure what you all want him to do. it's not his fault his team has no identity and doesn't have enough talent to skate with 75% of the teams in the nhl. i mean, sans a handful, what do we have? a jackass for a GM who loves overpaid players who were SERIOUSLY overrated when they signed with nyr.

sather, pick up a secondary scorer or two, unless it's hank or gaborik, i don't care who you have to trade to do it. and look for a decent defensemen while you're at it, everybody's overrated back there too. yes, even staal for you #18 buttlovers.

thewaitingisover is offline   Reply With Quote